Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
MrHaroldG
n00b

ESPN's "Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame"

By now, many of you may have seen the "Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame" series on ESPN (at least the episodes that have been aired). The show examines athletes, coaches, teams, front office, and even fans who have been blamed for a team's failure, their own failure, the demise of a franchise, or what have you. The show explains why the person or team has been blamed, then give the top 5 reasons why they can't be blamed by peeling away the layers between fact and fiction. This web page has a list of the episodes that have been/will be aired.

MrHaroldG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
Tara
Mascot

I didn't know this one....
Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: The Atlanta Falcons for Trading Brett Favre.
Maybe is just few years I like football.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:14 AM   #3
MrHaroldG
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
I didn't know this one....
Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: The Atlanta Falcons for Trading Brett Favre.
Maybe is just few years I like football.

The first time I saw the listing...I thought it was more a case of hindsight being 20-20. But I remember now that Favre was overweight as a rookie (248 pounds, compared to 224 now).
Old 06-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

# Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Muhammad Ali for Avoiding the Vietnam War, on September 26th at 9pm.

That should be interesting.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Baseball for Trying to Keep Pete Rose Out of the Hall of Fame.

Who blames baseball for this?
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Sheesh.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there a "top 5 reasons you can't blame ESPN for sucking"
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I love this idea. I hope they do an episode on Fred Merkle.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
MrHaroldG
n00b

Incidentally, the web page doesn't list another episode which has already aired: The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Jerry Krause for the Demise of the Chicago Bulls.

As for Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Umpire Don Dekinger for the Cardinals Losing the 1985 World Series - that should be interesting. I didn't think it was more to it than that, as blatant as that call was. But then, the call was in Game 6, and had the Cardinals won Game 7 (of course, they got lambasted) it would have been a moot point.

Also, I could pretty much name the Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Bill Buckner for the Red Sox Losing the 1986 World Series. Like the Denkinger call the year before, and Steve Bartman's interference of the foul ball, Buckner's error also occurred in a Game 6. Other reasons not to blame Buckner:

Calvin Schiraldi. The Red Sox, remember, had a 2-run lead. Someone should be accountable for the runs that tied the game in the first place.
John McNamara. In each post-season game the Red Sox were winning late, McNamara had always replaced Buckner (who could barely walk, much less run, at this moment) with Dave Stapleton at first base. Until there.
The Mets were the better team. How quickly people forget - they had won 108 games to 95 for the Red Sox. You don't win that many games without finding out a way to win a few at the end.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldG
As for Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Umpire Don Dekinger for the Cardinals Losing the 1985 World Series - that should be interesting. I didn't think it was more to it than that, as blatant as that call was. But then, the call was in Game 6, and had the Cardinals won Game 7 (of course, they got lambasted) it would have been a moot point.

Man, I get so tired of hearing those self proclaimed best fans in baseball come into KC and just bitch and moan like crazy about that call 20 years later. Haven't been to a KC-St Louis game yet, and I've been to 4 or 5, where they bring it up without fail.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
MrHaroldG
n00b

The latest installment, which comes on tonight, features Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: The Trail Blazers for Drafting Sam Bowie Over Michael Jordan. As big a Bulls fan as I am, and as happy as I am that Portland passed over Jordan and drafted Bowie instead, I'm also curious to see why the 'Blazers should not be blamed. The preview mentioned that Portland needed a center, which pretty much makes sense; they needed someone to combat the likes of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Jack Sikma. They also mentioned that Dean Smith may have tried to keep Jordan a secret from the NBA; no one expected him to be as good as he would become. I wonder where, if anywhere, Clyde Drexler figures into this - in him, Portland already had an up-and-coming shooting guard. If Portland drafted Jordan, where would they have had room for both?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

They used to show the episodes of this on ESPN2 and I watched them. I thought this was probably the best show on ESPN (although that really isn't saying much). Unfortunately, I do not get ESPN Classic, so I'm SOL on catching it now. Thank you ESPN for putting your best show on your 3rd network. Oh no, really, I'd love to see more 8 Ball or woman's golf or bowling....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... sounds like a great show. I'll be watching a few of these. Hopefully they can keep churning these out.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

*adds to list of why i can not be blamed for not watching espn*
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote