Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2000, 10:41 PM   #1
henry296
College Starter

Post QB Controversy

Here is my situation and was wondering what others might do in a similar circumstance.

I am the 2 time defending Super Bowl Champs with Tim Couch as my QB. I have some turnovoer due to cap issues and start off 0-2. In the middle of the third game Couch gets a major injury and is out 2-3 months. We lose that game.

Enter Oliver McConnell, my #2 pick 3 years ago. He proceeds to lead the team to a 9-1 record in his starts with a QB rating of 91.7 Meanwhile Couch's rating before the injury was a horrific 44.4.

My scout overview shows Couch as 71/74 and McConnell as 53/88. Couch's contract expires after this season as do my top WR and RB. McConnell is signed for 2007 only. It is now before week 15 and I am first place in the Central by 2 games and the best record in the AFC at 9-4.

Couch is completely healthy. Who do you start in the next game? My current cap situation is bleak. In the offseason I need to pick one QB for the next 4 years because both will want big time bucks.

Todd

henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 09:02 AM   #2
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

It's very tempting to leave the younger guy in there, but I think if you have won the last two super bowls, you have to go with Couch, at least for the last 3 games. If he continues to suck you can always put McConnell back in for the playoffs. Then try to get them both signed during the offseason, franchising the one you don't want and get something in a trade for him.

That's my two cents, just wishing my team had such a dilemna. I just decided to dump Daunte Culpepper because he couldn't get me to the bowl after 5 years in the playoffs. Now I'm stuck with Shaun King until I draft my dream quarterback next season.
Old 11-17-2000, 01:49 PM   #3
henry296
College Starter

Well, I decided to stay with the hot hand. We lost 2 very close games to take our record to 9-6. The Titans were also 9-6 with the Browns at 8-7 and a final game showdown with the Browns. I stuck with the youngster and we beat the browns handily helped by some late fourth quarter TDs. The losses weren't really his fault as his QB rating is now 3rd best in the NFL. We won the tiebreaker with Tenn. and have a bye.

The playoffs are tonight.

Todd
Old 11-17-2000, 07:04 PM   #4
henry296
College Starter

Here is how the story ends. We host the KC Chiefs, west division champs. The Steelers open up a 10-3 lead behind solid play from McConnell. He goes 12-19 for 122 in the first quarter and a half. He then on a -7 yard completion get hurt. In comes Tim Couch, 2004 Super Bowl MVP. The score remains 10-3 into the 4th quarter. Then while driving for what could be the nail in the coffin score, Couch is intercepted and the ball is return 77 yards for a TD. After going 3 and out the Chiefs strike for the go ahead TD. Couch "leads" the Steelers to the tying TD although the drive consists of a solid kickoff return to the 34 and a completion then a 46 yard TD run by Reggie Okobi.

After winning the toss and marching to the 18 yard line where a field goal, even by the punter (my kicker was hurt) should win the game. COuch is picked off at the 7 yard line. Granted throwing in this situation isn't Couch's fault, but the pass is return 93 yards for the game winning TD.

Couch line is 8 for 18 97 yards and 3 picks, 2 returned for TDs.

Now to the offseason.

Todd
Old 11-18-2000, 01:42 PM   #5
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I would say McConnell is looking like your man for next year.

Shaun King did surprisingly well, throwing for 3600 yards and leading the team to a 10-6 division winning record. We lost in the conference final once again.
The first round pick I received for Culpepper was 5th overall, which allowed me to draft the stud running back the Vikings never had under my control. Through four games the following season, King has 12tds against 4 picks. He's going to make me keep him I think. Culpepper is now sitting on the bench for Detroit behind Tim Couch, the Lions signed both to 9 million dollar per year contracts this season
Old 11-18-2000, 02:29 PM   #6
henry296
College Starter

Another update.

I did choose McConnel as the future QB. I put the franchise tag on George Chacon my number 1 receiver. Couch signed with Oakland for 4 yrs. 48 million. There has been some major turnovoer as the cap caught up with me. The season is just about to start.

Todd
Old 11-18-2000, 02:40 PM   #7
Chiefsfan01
n00b

I am so glad to here that other people are having trouble as much as I am.
I am playing the Chiefs in a career right now that I plan on posting some time. I have finished 8-8, 7-9, and last season went 6-10.

I picked up Brian Griese who QB'd for me most of last season, but during the offseason I picked up Shaun King and don't know who to start. My Scout says King...but I don't know.
Chiefsfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 04:00 PM   #8
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

King ended up having the best season for one of my quarterbacks so far, with a 93.9 rating and 22/6 td/int ratio. We won the division and were bumped in the playoffs again before reaching the bowl, seventh straight season now.
Before I received King in a trade last year, he had not started a game, just sat on the bench until 2006. Now he's a free agent, but I think I have to bring him back after what he did last year.