Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2000, 06:23 PM   #1
FishFan
College Prospect

Post Carolina On My Mind

The following is an attempt to take the Carolina Panthers to the top in FOF2K1. These accounts are in no way intended to model what will happen in real life, as the Panthers will never be able to make it to the top.

---------------

2000 Opening Moves

Since Carolina only had 48 active players at the beginning of the season, I had to sign some free agents. The following were all signed to 1 year contracts ranging from $440K-580K per year:

WR Kevin Williams
WR Desmond Howard
G Brian Habib
T Paul Gruber
S Steve Atwater

The five signings pushed me to 53 players and 13,260,000 under the cap.

Here are my preseason starting lineups:

QB Steve Beuerlein
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB William Floyd
WR Patrick Jeffers
WR Mushin Muhammed
TE Wesley Walls
LT Paul Gruber
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Garcia
RG Bryan Stoltenberg
RT Clarence Jones

K John Kasay
P Ken Walter
KR Kevin Williams
PR Desmond Howard

DE Mike Rucker
DT Sean Gilbert
DT Tim Morabito
DE Chuck Smith
LB Donta Jones
LB Lee Woodall
LB Dean Wells
CB Eric Davis
CB Doug Evans
FS Steve Atwater
SS Mike Minter

Most positions will be reevaluated at the end of preseason. We'll see if anyone steps up....

FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 06:28 PM   #2
FishFan
College Prospect

That didn't last long...

LB Donta Jones came up with shoulder tendonitis in the first preseason game and will be out 2-3 months. That forced me to make a decision.

Released:

DE Jay Williams

Signed:

LB Bryan Schwartz $440K - 1 year
Old 11-08-2000, 06:38 PM   #3
FishFan
College Prospect

Preseason Results:

2-2 in the four games and only one casualty(Donta Jones). The only starting position change was the result of that injury. LB Bryan Schwartz moved into the third LB spot, while Lee Woodall and Deam Wells both moved up a spot. Upon Jones' return, Wells will probably be regulated to backup duty. We'll see.

In other news, RB Tim Biakabutuka carried the ball 68 times over those four games for 355 yards - a 5.2 average. Hopefully, that is a sign of good things to come.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:13 PM   #4
FishFan
College Prospect

Season Results:

Week 1 at Washington(L3-38, 0-1): Brad Johnson and Albert Connell hook up for scores three times in a rout of the Panthers. Biakabutuka managed only 39 yards on 10 carries and Beuerlein was a dismal 9-24-0-45.

Week 2 at San Francisco(L19-32, 0-2): Biakabutuka was injured on his second carry of the day and did not return. Beuerlein was a much improved 19-34-0-296 with one score. Patrick Jeffers caught four balls for 82 yards. SF got up 22-6 and did not look back.

Week 3 vs Atlanta(W45-10, 0-3): This is getting ridiculous. Chrissy Chandler threw for 4 TD passes, two apiece to Terance Mathis and Tim Dwight. Donald Hayes found paydirt late in the 4th quarter in mop up time. On the bright side, Anthony Johnson and Tim Biakabutuka combined for 127 yards on 18 carries.

Week 5 vs Dallas(W31-28, 1-3): Finally we chalk one up in the win column. Biakabutuka found his legs with a 21-115, 1TD performance. Beuerlein tossed 3TDs on 225 yards with Doanld Hayes catching two of those TDs. Wesley Walls also had a breakout game with six catches for 79 yards and a TD. The Panthers held off a 22 point effort by the Cowboys to earn their first win.

Week 6 vs Seattle(W34-19, 2-3): Two in a row! Biakabutuka gained 117 yards and one score, but Beuerlein threw 3 INTs with only 2 TDs - his worse game to date. Donald Hayes has emerged as the go-to-guy with 8 catches and 194 yards and one, 92 yard score. DE Chuck Smith netted 2.5 sacks and Minter and Davis each picked off a pass in the Panthers' best defensive performance yet.

Week 7 at New Orleans(L12-37, 2-4): The roll comes to a dead stop on Bourbon Street. Biakabutuka disappeared as did Donald Hayes. Mushin Muhammed, on the other hand, came up with 83 yards on 8 catches.

Week 8 vs San Francisco(W46-16, 3-4): This team can be as different as night and day. The Panthers bring out the whuppin sticks and put it to the 49ers. The bad news: we lost DT Sean Gilbert for 2-3 months to a torn thumb ligament. Tim Biakabutuka could not be stopped in this one as he gained 235 yards on only 26 carries(9.0 avg) and two scores. Anthony Johnson also scored twice on four carries.

Week 9 at Atlanta(L6-27, 3-5): Night and day. This is unbelievable. It should be noted that Atlanta is currently 8-1, si maybe this wasn't such a bad loss. Biakabutuka collected 85 yards and Beuerlein threw 3 INTs. Chuck Smith collected another 2.5 sacks and Steve Atwater picked off his first pass of the season.

Week 10 at St. Louis(W30-24, 4-5): Big win. Now if we can put a couple together. This was a 5-3 Ram team, so this could be huge for the playoff race. Beuerlein thre for 289 yards and two scores, finding Muhammed and Williams in the end zone.

Week 11 vs New Orleans(W35-13, 5-5): Another Big win takes us back to .500, led by Biakabutuka(23-134) who scored 4 times. Beuerlein was an amazing 18-20-0-203 and a score. Chuck Smith continued his stellar play with 2.0 sacks and blocked three passes at the line of scrimmage.

Week 12 at Minnesota(W20-0, 6-5): Huge win! The Panthers go on the road and shutout an 8-2 Viking team. WOW! Biakabutuka rushed for 95 yards on only 15 carries and Jeff Lewis(17-27-0-148 1TD) was efficient in relief of a hurt Steve Beuelein. Jeffers scored twice while catching 9 balls for 80 yards.

Week 13 vs Green Bay(L10-15, 6-6): A serious letdown here against a 5-6 Packer squad. We set football back 50 years today. Biakabutuka was his stead self with 73 yards and a score. Jeffers netted 124 yards on 8 catches. Rucker held his own on defense with 3.0 sacks.

Week 14 vs St. Louis(W31-13, 7-6): Back on track with a pivotol win against a similar 6-6 squad. A great performance from Beuerlein(23-27-1-283 2TDs) led the way.

Week 15 vs Kansas City(W41-31, 8-6): The Panthers win a shootout to help their playoff hopes. Biakabutuka was huge with 160 yards and three scores while Beuerlein went 19-30-1-368 with two scores. Muhammed netted 141 yards and one score.

Week 16 vs San Diego(W44-27, 9-6): The team came trhough with a must win. With the good news, comes some bad. Biakabutuka had just 55 yards, but broke his fibia and will miss the remainder of the season. RB Ron Rivers was signed to help balance out the loss of our top RB. A win in the final week will secure a playoff spot.

Week 17 at Oakland(W21-20, 10-6): A thriller ends as Oakland's 4th quarter comeback falls short. RB Ron Rivers stepped in and gained 140 yards on 17 carries, highlighted by a 78 yard TD run. Beuerlein managed just 167 yards and two scores.

Wild Card Game at New Orleans(L3-37): The wheels fall off against the Saints, who the Panthers split two games with during the course of the season. Rivers gained 22 yards on nie carries, which unfortunatley led the team. Beuerlein had his worst game since early in the season as he went 15-40-0-197.

In all, I felt we were dead when we fell to 0-3 and was pleasantly surprised when we battled back to go 10-3 in the final 13 games. Unfortunately, Biakabutuka was hurt during week 16 and the offense could not keep up with the elite teams. With an aging Beuerlein, the Panthers will need to begin to look at new, young quarterbacks.

Season Stats of Note:

QB Beuerlein 275-449-12-3443 19 TDs 88.0 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 236-1292 14 TDs
TE Walls 47-449 4 TDs
WR Hayes 36-605 4 TDs
WR Jeffers 79-989 3 TDs
WR Muhammed 76-1036 7 TDs
K Kasay 29-34 FGs 51 Lng
P Walter 37.3 Avg 27 In20
DE Smith 15.0 Sacks 30 T
DE Rucker 14.0 Sacks 49 T
LB Woodall 80 T 25 A
S Minter 63 T 6 INTs
S Atwater 76 T 21 A 16 PsDfsd

Atlanta(16-3) went on to win the Super Bowl with a 38-0 thrashing of Tennessee(13-7).

Awards:

MVP: Charlie Garner, SF
OFF POY: Charlie Garner, SF
DEF POY: Rod Woodson, BAL
OFF ROY: Thomas Jones, ARI
DEF ROY: Gregory Wesley, KCY

No Panther was named to the All-Pro Team.
Old 11-09-2000, 09:07 PM   #5
FishFan
College Prospect

Okay, I decided I wanted to get some young blood in at scout and coach to build a team around. Yeah, I made it to the playoffs, but the inconsistency and poor offensive play at times led me to make this decision. I put in two offers, one to scout Ricky Leathers(4-12, 5 years - 200K)and one to coach B.J. Banks(0-0, 5 years - 1.5 mil). Banks accepted the offer right away, but Leathers decided to look for more cash as Philadelphia offered him 330K. I decided to match that offer as Leathers is a young(43) scout with decent ratings that should only improve. Plus, he is rated at VERY GOOD with young talent. Two weeks(?) and 30K more later, Leathers signed with the Panthers. Former scout, Skip Morris(10-7) landed a job in Philadelphia, interestingly, but former coach Tyrone Horiszny(10-7) found no interest from any team.

In minor news, TE Brian Kinchen retired. He ended his career with 5 catches for 28 yards and 1 TD in limited playing time.

Here is a summary of my free agent situation:

Unrestricted
T Paul Gruber
S Steve Atwater
G Brian Habib
RB Anthony Johnson
WR Desmond Howard
WR Kevin Williams
RB Ron Rivers
G James Dexter
LB Bryan Schwartz
CB Jimmy Hitchcock
DT Tim Horabito
TE Kris Mangum

Restricted
LB Spencer Reid
QB Craig Dameyune
S Damien Richardson
C Jamar Nesbit

My priorities include LBs Bryan Schwartz and Spencer Reid and S Steve Atwater. I will probably avoid T Paul Gruber and G Bryan Habib because of their ages and they only served one year, which should not affect cohesion that much. I would also like to land one of the WR, Howard or Williams, but they will probably ask for too much $$$$. We'll see....

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-09-2000).]
Old 11-09-2000, 09:41 PM   #6
FishFan
College Prospect

Prior to the free agent period, I made the following personnel moves:

Designated S Steve Atwater Franchise Player.

Traded CB Doug Evans to San Diego for a 5th Round Draft Pick. Unloaded a 4.5 mil contract.

Released RB Natrone Means. I can not afford to have a 3.1 mil RB on the Inactive roster.

As the free agent period began, I put an offer out to LB Bryan Schwartz. Spencer Reid is restricted, so I will wait to offer him a contract. I also offered a 11.5 mil contract to Colt T Adam Meadows. Through five weeks, neither player had signed with any team and no Panther free agent has gotten an offer from another team. During week 7, Meadows decided to accept my offer and play for the Panthers for the next three years. This is a big signing for the Panthers as Meadows will anchor the offensive line and give Tim Biakabutuka a strong tackle to run behind. A week later, however, I lost T Paul Gruber to Indianapolis after the Panthers offered a 6.06, 3-year contract. Then, in week 10, LB Bryan Schwartz accepted my offer of 11.94 mil for four years. This will probably end my activity during the free agent period out side of picking up a backup here or there.

Other signing involving Carolina:

WR Kevin Williams signed with Cleveland(7.53- 3 years)
S Mark Carrier signs with Carolina(3.49 - 3 years)

Old 11-09-2000, 10:07 PM   #7
FishFan
College Prospect

My draft strategy focuses on the skilled players. I nedd a young QB and a solid backup RB as well as a couple of WRs. I will try to pick up a few free agents following the draft to fill in backup spots on defense.

Draft Results
WR Joseph Swift, Tennessee
TE Vince Lake, Southern University
DT Jim Sellers, North Carolina
RB Chester Testeverde, Army
QB Juan Smith, Bowling Green
RB Rex Woodley, Michigan
CB DJ Van Pelt, Idaho
C Preston Gatson, Duke

Following the draft, I signed the following players:

LB Spencer Reid
C Jamar Nesbit

I ended my activity prior to Training Camp by releasing T Clarence Jones to free up cap room to fill out my roster.
Old 11-09-2000, 10:32 PM   #8
FishFan
College Prospect

Following training camp, I looked for some players to fill out my roster. These are the players that I signed:

G Vinny Sawyer
TE Cole Carter
WR Wade Zahavi
CB Taje Allen
T RJ Porter

After these moves, it's on to preseason with the following starting lineups:

QB Steve Beuerlein
RB Chester Testeverde
FB William Floyd
TE Wesley Walls
WR Mushin Muhammed
WR Patrick Jeffers
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Garcia
RG Leander Jordan
RT Chris Terry

K John Kasay
P Ken Walter
PR/KR DJ Van Pelt

DE Mike Rucker
DT Sean Gilbert
DT Alvin McKinley
DE Chuck Smith
LB Bryan Schwartz
LB Lee Woodall
LB Spencer Reid
CB Eric Davis
CB Taje Allen
FS Steve Atwater
SS Mark Carrier

Note: Chuck Testeverde is starting the preseason as Tim Biakabutuka recovers from the broken leg he suffered at the end of last season. Hopefully, he return to form.

Cohesion took a hit on defense as we added Mark Carrier and Taje Allen in the secondar and LB Spencer Reid steps into the starting lineup. Also, Alvin McKinley replaced Tim Morabito at DT in the starting lineup.

As always, the #1 goal of the preseason is to stay healthy!
Old 11-09-2000, 10:38 PM   #9
FishFan
College Prospect

The Panthers went through preseason 2-2, but the all eyes were on RB Tim Biakabutuka as he returned to active duty with a 19-98 5.1 2 TD performance in the final game of the preseason(also a 48-7 rout of PHI). Beuerlein also looked good in preseason, giving Panther fans something to hopr for.

Also, there were no major injuries to report the entire duration of preseason. Let's hope that is a sign of the regular season.
Old 11-09-2000, 11:52 PM   #10
FishFan
College Prospect

Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Atlanta(W21-16, 1-0)
Week 2 vs New Orleans(L3-21, 1-1)
Week 3 vs San Francisco(W28-0, 2-1)
Week 4 at Minnesota(W27-10, 3-1)
Week 6 at Indianapolis(L20-23, 3-2)
Week 7 vs Philadelphia(W19-14, 4-2)
Week 8 vs Atlanta(W29-0, 5-2)
Week 9 at NY Jets(W29-27, 6-2)
Week 10 vs Detroit(W37-3, 7-2)
Week 11 at New Orleans(L14-22, 7-3)
Week 12 vs St. Louis(L3-28, 7-4)
Week 13 vs Miami(L3-30, 7-5)
Week 14 at San Francisco(W10-7, 8-5)
Week 15 vs New England(W38-21, 9-5)
Week 16 at Dallas(W23-20, 10-5)
Week 17 at St. Louis(W34-9, 11-5)
Div. Playoff vs Green Bay(W41-14, 12-5)
NFC Championship vs Minnesota(W37-14, 13-5)
Super Bowl II vs Indianapolis(W37-9, 14-6)

The Panther began the season with a HUGE win over reigning Super Bowl Champion, Atlanta, by a score of 21-16. Rookie RB Chester Testeverde broke through a hole and scored from 17 yards out with :50 left to finish off a comeback from 16-7 late in the 4th quarter. Beuerlein finished the day 19-29-1-260 with 2 scores.

The team, after a letdown following the big Atlanta win, won two straight to head into the bye week at 3-1. Biakabutuka has run the ball with some consistency, trying to return to last year's form. Although, throwing more interceptions than touchdowns, Beuerlein is also playing efficiently through four games.
The biggest news concerned S Steve Atwater. In the week 4 contest vs, Minnesota, Atwater tore his his rotator cuff and needs surgery. He will be out until late in the season.

The Panther remained a game out of first in the NFC West with two big consecutive wins. First they beat then 5-1 Phialadelphia, 19-14, and then downed Atlants, 29-0, giving them a season sweep over last year's Super Bowl Champ. Biakabutuka exploded in the second Atlanta game with 204 yards on just 15 carries(13.6 avg), highlighted by a 90 yard TD run. In the same game, backup RB Chester Testeverde ran for 85 yards on 16 carries.

In week 10, the Panthers moved into a first place tie with St. Louis with a 37-3 thrashing of Detroit. The Rams and Panthers will face each other in weeks 12 and 17. Biakabutuka led the charge with 141 yards on 18 carries and a score. Patrick Jeffers had a big day with 11 catched for 134 yards and 2 scores.

After week 13, the Panthers had just lost their third in a row, including one to St. Louis, 28-3, dropping them two games back in the division and weakening their playoff run. Beuerlein has been less than impressive as the team has only experienced onemajor injury to DE Chuck Smith.

Carolina bounced back from adversity with two straight wins and not stands just one game behind St. Louis and looking forward to a season ending mathup against the Rams.

The Panthers clinched a playoff berth in week 16 with a 23-20 thriller over Dallas. John Kasay's 38 yard field goal with :04 left was the difference. Steve Beuerlein returned to form with a 27-42-1-279, 1 TD performance. The Panthers can also clinch the NFC West and a 1st Round bye with a win over the Rams in the final week.

The Panthers make a statement! Carolina went into St. Louis and manhandled the Rams, 34-9. The win gave the Panthers their first NFC West Championship and a first round bye in the playoffs. LB Lee Woodall returned an interception and FB Chris Hetherington returned a fumble in the fourth quarter to help secure the victory. Offensively, the Rams held the Panthers in check, but the defense helped bring home the NFC West Championship. S Steve Atwater will return for the playoffs following shoulder surgery.

Divisional Playoff
Tim Biakabutuka scored twice and Beuerlein and Jeff Lewis each threw for one score as the Panthers routhed the Packers, 41-14. Beuerlein, who was replaced late in the 4th quarter, went 20-32-0-281. S Mike Minter picked off two passes as the defense played their second straight great game. On to the NFC Championship vs. Minnesota.

NFC Championship
Another rout. The Vikings did not stand a chance from the get-go, as the Panthers jumped out to a 27-0 halftime lead. Biakabutuka ran for 149 yards and a pair of scores. Of course, with all good news comes some bad. Injuries hit Carolina hard in this one. CBs Eric Davis and DJ Van Pelt are both listed as doubtful for Super Bowl II and QB Steve Beuerlein bruised his thigh and is listed as questionable. He should play, however.

Super Bowl II
Do you believe in miracles? The Panthers avenged a 23-20 loss to Indianapolis during the regular season with a 37-9 thrashing in Super Bowl II. Tim Biakabutuka was named MVP with 159 yards and scores on runs of 7 and 9. Steve Beuerlein, hobbled from a deep thigh bruise, only played the first half. Backup Jeff Lewis came in and played superbly with a 15-21-0-155, 2 TD performance. Mushin Muhammed was on the receiveing end of both those TD passes. The Panther defense sacked Peyton Manning an amazing 9 times and picked him off once(Mike Minter). Overall it was a great game and a pleasant surprise. Of course, there are many aging veterans who may retire or demand more $$$$ in 2002.

Season Stats of Note:

QB Beuerlein 289-510-21-3328 21 TDs 73.0 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 277-1324 8 TDs
TE Walls 53-535 1 TDs
WR Hayes 46-674 5 TDs
WR Jeffers 71-886 5 TDs
WR Muhammed 73-841 6 TDs
C Garcia 44.1 BPct
T Meadows 33.7 BPct 4 SkA
T Terry 43.5 Bpct
K Kasay 28-34 FGs 51 Lng
P Walter 37.5 Avg 33 In20
DE Rucker 12.5 Sacks 45 T
LB Reid 61 T 22 A
LB Schwartz 60 T 18 A 4.0 Sacks
LB Woodall 80 T 30 A 3.0 Sacks
S Carrier 66 T 5 INT 11 PsDfsd

Awards:

MVP: Corey Dillon, CIN
OFF POY: Corey Dillon, CIN
DEF POY: Lance Schulters, SF
OFF ROY: Rondell Londesbrough, WAS
DEF ROY: Dennis Small, NYG

TE Wesley Walls All-Pro 2nd Team
T Adam Meadows All-Pro 2nd Team

Old 11-09-2000, 11:55 PM   #11
FishFan
College Prospect

Following the Super Bowl victory in 2001, TE Wesley Walls and G Leander Jordan decided to hang up their football cleats. This creates some holes on the offensive line that will need to be addressed in free agency or the draft. With only 3.69 mil under the cap, I expect many tough decisions in 2002.

Walls ended his career with Carolina coming off his first selection to the All-Pro 2nd Team. Over the course of his two-year career, Walls caught 100 balls for 984 yards(9.8 avg). He also found the endzone on five occasions. He will be a tough TE to replace.

During the scout/coach hiring period, former Panther coach Tyrone Horiszny(10-7 in one year with Carolina) was hired by the expansion Houston Lone Star. The addition of the Lone Stars will creat even more problems for me as I have to make some decisions concerning my protection list.

Exposed Players
TE Cole Carter 340K
G Bryan Stoltenberg 1.5 mil
T Jeno James 440K
P Ken Walter 600K
S Deon Grant 440K

During the expansion draft, the Lone Star drafted WR Jammi German with their first pick and later chose QB Elvis Grbac despite the 15.0 mil cap hit he will bring with him. As I had hoped, G Bryan Stottenberg was selected, freeing up some additional cap room.

Unrestricted
RB Michael Bates
FB Chris Htherington
S Mike Minter
WR Donald Hayes

Restricted
C Jamar Nesbit
DT Alvin McKinley
LB Alonzo Tafoya

After designating Donald Hayes as my Franchise Player, I will try to resign S Mike Minter. Michael Bates is a definite no-no and I can live without Hetherington. I'll try to sign the unresticted FAs following the draft.

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-10-2000).]
Old 11-10-2000, 12:40 AM   #12
FishFan
College Prospect

Prior to the free agent period, I made the following personnel moves:

Traded DT Sean Gilbert and my 32nd pick in the draft to New England for their 19th pick in the draft. I was able to unload a huge salary(took a 1.3 mil cap hit) and was able to move up in the draft. Not bad.

Traded QB Jeff Lewis and a 6th Round pick to San Francisco for a 4th round pick. Again, unload a big salary and was able to move up in the draft.

To start the free agent period, I offered three contracts: TE Cameron Cleeland(5.75 - 3 years), G Ruben Brown(11.0 - 4 years), and DT Rashod Swinger(16.75 - 4 years). If I can land these three, I should be able to make a run at Super Bowl III.

That did not last long. Brown signed with Baltimore in week 2 for 13.06 mil for 4 years. I turned my attention to G Benji Olson. In week 4, Cleeland resigned with New Orleans, so I offered TE Ernie Conwell a 3 year 5.5 mil contract. My third target, Swinger, signed with Arizona(10.78 - 3 years). This has become a rough free ageny period for me. With not one single quality DT left on the market, I will have to wait for the draft to pick a DT up.

In my first victory, Benji Olson has accepted my offer. He will probably replace Leeander Jordan in the starting lineup. Shortly after Olson's signing, Conwell followed suit. Mike Minter is still requesting too much, so I may have to hold off on him as I still have Carrier and Atwater in the secondary.

Spoke too soon. San Francisco signed Minter to a 2 year 4.0 mil contract. That was more than I would have given him, so oh well. That pretty much ended a low-activity signing period.
Old 11-10-2000, 12:29 PM   #13
FishFan
College Prospect

During the 2002 Amateur Draft, I will be looking for a quality DT that can step into a starting role right away. I will also need to find a backup QB, or a QB of the future if one exists. Other than that, I will need quality backups at other positions, as well.

Draft Results
DT Amos Winslett, Harding
G Brady Stockman, Morris Brown
FB Kelly Klemm, Syracuse
RB Roderick Malbrough, Purdue
DT Howie Tubbs, Navy
C Frank Guinn, Siena
QB Otis Pederson, Auburn
LB Charlies Sawyer, Texas A&M

Winslett should be a contributor from the get-go. He was one of those players who had great current skills, but not much more in terms of potential. Could be a DROY candidate. Stockman, Klemm, and Malbrough give me some quality backups. QB Pederson could be a draft sleeper.

Becasue of cap problems, I had to make a trade to free up some cap room. I traded veteran CB Eric Davis and a 2nd Round Pick to the Houston Lone Stars for their 1st Round Draft Pick. This freed up enough cap room to sign all of my rookies and a free agent CB and S. This will also, hopefully, give me a draft pick to nail down a franchise QB as Beuerlein continues to age.

On to the nervous training camp time...
Old 11-10-2000, 12:48 PM   #14
FishFan
College Prospect

After checking to see if I had any training camp busts or sleepers(none to report), I headed to the available free agents to fill out my roster. I was able to nab the following with 150K to spare:

S Perry Fitzsimmons
CB Antonio Langham

I head into the preseason with the following starting lineups:

QB Steve Beuerlein
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB William Floyd
TE Vince Lake
WR Mushin Muhammed
WR Patrick Jeffers
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Garcia
RG Benji Olson
RT Chris Terry

K John Kasay
P Ken Walter
PR/KR DJ Van Pelt

DE Mike Rucker
DT Amos Winslett
DT Howie Tubbs
DE Chuck Smith
LB Bryan Schwartz
LB Lee Woodall
LB Dean Wells
CB Taje Allen
CB Tommie Elliot
FS Mark Carrier
SS Steve Atwater

Six different starters from last year's Super Bowl Championship Team. First, TE Vince Lake gets the nod over Ernie Conwell to replace the retired Wesley Walls. Free agent acquisition, Benji Olson, replaces retired Leander Jordan at RG. Rookie DTs Amos Winslett and Howie Tubbs replace the traded Sean Gilbert and Alvin McKinley, who was not resigned last year. LB Dean Wells replaces Spencer Reid at OLB, but that could change by the end of preseason. Lastly, CB Tommie Elliot steps in for Eric Davis, who became a cap casualty following the draft.

Of course, these changes affect cohesion, especially on the defensive front. And, as always, let's get through the preseason injury-free!
Old 11-10-2000, 11:43 PM   #15
FishFan
College Prospect

The 1-3 preseason campaign does not concern me as much as the injury situation.

Backup RB Chester Testeverde banged up a knee and required arthroscopic knee surgery. He will be out for 2-3 months. Roderick Malborough will step into the backup rols as Rex Woodley comes off the inactive list.

DE Chuck Wiley was diagnosed with shoulder tendonitis which could bother him all season. He will be re-evluated week to week.

C Frank Garcia pulled his groin muscle and will be sidelined for 3-5 weeks. Preston Gaston moves into the stating spot and Frank Guinn will back him up.

Hopefully, these injuries do not hamper my quest for a second straight bowl victory.
Old 11-11-2000, 12:45 AM   #16
FishFan
College Prospect

Regular Season Results

Week 1 vs Jacksonville(W38-16, 1-0)
Week 2 vs New Orleans(L7-12, 1-1)
Week 3 vs Atlanta(L10-37, 1-2)
Week 4 at St. Louis(L10-17, 1-3)
Week 5 at NY Giants(W21-3, 2-3)
Week 7 vs San Francisco(L17-20, 2-4)
Week 8 at Cincinnati(L14-17, 2-5)
Week 9 vs St. Louis(W24-13, 3-5)
Week 10 vs Green Bay(L20-30, 3-6)
Week 11 at New Orleans(L6-31, 3-7)
Week 12 at San Francisco(L17-30, 3-8)
Week 13 vs Washington(L17-21, 3-9)
Week 14 at Cleveland(L13-20, 3-10)
Week 15 at Minnesota(W21-17, 4-10)
Week 16 vs Tennessee(L27-30, 4-11)
Week 17 at Atlanta(L18-34, 4-12)

Was last year a fluke? The Panthers stumbled out the gate, losing two of three, all against divisional foes. The Saints, who have had our number the past two years, downed us, 12-7, and Atlanta pounded the Panthers, 37-10. Beuerlein has been pathetic in the two losses, prompting me to consider giving the youngster, Otis Pederson, a couple of shots with a struggling offense.

C Frank Garcia returned to the starting lineup in week 4, which perhaps stopped the bleeding. The Panthers promptly beat the Giants, 21-7, to head into the bye week at 2-3.

Following the bye week, the Panthers dropped two in a row before beating up on a banged up Rams team. In the 24-13 win, Steve Atwater returned two interceptions to "the house" to secure the win. Beuerlein reinjured his thigh that bothered him toward the end of last season. I went ahead and played him in the following game, a 30-20 loss to Green Bay, and Beuerlein aggravated it even more. He will, more than likely, miss the rest of the season. QB Otis Pederson will take over the reins, but as his performance has indicated, our playoff hopes may be over. To complicate matters, Biakabutuka has seemed to lose a step since last year.

Pederson does nothing to motivate the offense as the Panthers lose five in a row and are eliminated from the playoff hunt after week 14. Beuerlein will return for the final three games for a possible farewell tour since he is in the last year of a contract.

Beuerlein leads the Panthers to a win in the final three games, leaving them 4-12 for the season. From best to worst in one season leaves me very disappointed. Biakabutuka and Beuerlein may have played their last games in Carolina.

Pittsburgh(14-4) and Green Bay(15-3) meet in Super Bowl III, which the Steelers won, 27-27. QB Brett Favre won the Super Bowl MVP despite playing for the losing team.

Season Stats of Note:

QB Beuerlein 217-385-12-2440 15 TDs 75.4 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 243-908 6 TDs
TE Walls 32-254 1 TDs
WR Hayes 73-941 4 TDs
WR Jeffers 45-523 3 TDs
WR Muhammed 62-766 4 TDs
WR Swift 48-593 4 TDs
G Campbell 38.7 BPct 6 SkA
T Terry 37.9 Bpct
K Kasay 16-25 FGs 53 Lng
P Walter 37.9 Avg 30 In20
DE Smith 11.5 Sacks 49 T
DE Rucker 7.0 Sacks 53 T
DT Winslett 43 T 3.5 Sacks
LB Schwartz 82 T 24 A 4.0 Sacks
LB Woodall 104 T 29 A 1.5 Sacks 2 INT
CB Allen 7 INT 57 T
S Carrier 83 T 3 INT 9 PsDfsd
S Atwater 78 T 39 A 4 INT(3TD) 6 PsDfsd

Awards:

MVP: Brett Favre, GB
OFF POY: Charlie Garner, SF
DEF POY: Lethon Flowers, TB
OFF ROY: Van Butkus, NYJ
DEF ROY: Al Peeler, NOS

CB Taje Allen All-Pro 2nd Team

Old 11-11-2000, 12:59 AM   #17
FishFan
College Prospect

The Panthers lost a critical defensive player to retirement following the 2002 campaign. S Steve Atwater called it quits after three seasons. During his tenure in Carolina, Atwater picked off six passes, returning three of them for scores. He defensed 24 passes, including 16 in the year 2000. He also amassed 174 tackles and 39 assists in 36 games. He will be missed greatly.

In minor news, former scout, Skip Morris, was rehired by the Philadelphia Eagles, signing a contract worth 450K for 5 years. He has gone 9-22-1 since joining the Eagles.

Unrestricted
QB Steve Beuerlein
LB Dean Wells
CB Antonio Langham
DE Chuck Wiley
LB Hannibal Navies

Restricted
T Jeno James
DT Gillis Wilson
RB Rex Woodley
C Preston Gaston
LB Charlie Sawyer

Not many priorities here. Despite a dismal performance in 2002, I slapped the franchise tag on Steve Beuerlein. With only 5.5 mil under the cap and two first round draft picks, I will have to make some cap decisionsto sign all my rookies. I do not see myself being very active in the free agent market this year.

Old 11-11-2000, 01:21 AM   #18
FishFan
College Prospect

With the magical increase of my room under the cap, I might be able to land one or two free agents.

The first offer I put out is a 11.20, 3 year contract to LB Jeremiah Trotter of Philadelphia. This would shore up a weak linebacker corps and allow me to release a couple of overpaid, underachieving LBs. Unfortunately, this LB accepts a contract of lesser value to remain an Eagle. After this travesty, I focus on a great run-stopping linebacker, Wali Rainer. Rainer, apparently eager to get out of Cleveland, promptly accepts my offer in week 6. This concludes my major activity. From here on out, I will only make half-hearted attempts to keep my own UFA.

Other deals involving Carolina players:

CB Antonio Langham signs with Green Bay, 5.12 - 3 years
LB Hannibal Navies resigns with Carolina, 4.30 - 3 years
Old 11-12-2000, 07:41 PM   #19
FishFan
College Prospect

Draft time. I will be focsuing on finding young talent to help build my team up. I also need to solve some salary cap problems by going with a younger lineup. I expect quite a few roster changes before preseason.

First, with only about 6 mil in cap room and two first rounders and Steve Beuerlein still unsigned, I need to find some more dollars. With Donald Hayes putting up pretty good number, I feel I can unload one of my starting WRs. After comparing Muhammed and Jeffers, I find Jeffers slacking in terms of catch percentage and drops. In 2002, Jeffers was thrown at over 100 times and only managed 43 catches. Not good. His 2.7 mil contract can be shipped elsewhere. The Cowboys, with Joey Galloway as the only WR on the roster, are very interested. I trade Jeffers and a 7th round pick to Dallas for their 3rd round pick.

With the addition of LB Wali Rainer, I can free up more cap room by unloading one of my 2 mil dollar LBs. The obvious choice is Bryan Schwartz, who is due to make 2.97 mil this season. He ends up in San Francisco along with a 5th round choice for the 49ers' 4 th round choice.

I will now head into the draft with seven picks, but none in the 5th or 7th rounds. I have 42 signed players plus Beuerlein who will sign following the draft if I leave enough room(gasp!).

Draft Summary
CB Shannon Layton, Southern California
LB Brock Brock, Mississippi
S Jeff McCormick, Washington
T Leland Barlow, South Carolina St.
T Myron Chan, Texas
P Heath Lindley SW Missouri St.
LB Ronald Marsh, N.C. St.

The CB Layton can be an early impact player. He has maxed out potential in all categories except INTs. Hopefully, he will make a great cover man. LB Brock is an excellent run-stopper. His addition may allow the Panthers to unloand another overpaid LB. Another draftee that might step into a starting role is the S McCormick. With the retiring of Atwater, his spot is up for grabs. Following the selection of McCormick, the unthikable happened. I accidentally hit the "Have Scout Finish Draft" button. This will lead to me not signing some of these rookies and finding more following draft. This set me back, as I was looking forward to a great draft.

Following the draft, I signed Laytn, Brock, McCormick, Chan, Marsh and Lindley, leaving LeLand Barlow as the only draftee not signed. My scout did an okay job, I guess.

I completed the complete overhaul of my linebacker corps by dumping the salary of Spencer Reid. I also released punter Ken Walter in favor of the cheaper rookie.

I filled out my roster with the following free agents(league min, unless noted):

T Tarik Glenn (3.17 - 3 years)
RB Kennedy Bocaling
WR Rico Bolduc
CB Aaron Huh(?)
DT Marco Nowlin
LB Leland Denson

I finished up my preseason acivity by releasing T Chris Terry. Terry had a decent run block percentage(37.0), but allowed 24 sacks in 38 starts.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:00 PM   #20
FishFan
College Prospect

Heading into preseason, I intend to use the following starting lineups:

QB Steve Beuerlein
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB William Floyd
TE Vince Lake
WR Mushin Muhammed
WR Donald Hayes
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Garcia
RG Benji Olson
RT Tarik Glenn

K John Kasay
P Heath Lindley
PR/KR Rico Bolduc

DE Mike Rucker
DT Amos Winslett
DT Howie Tubbs
DE Chuck Smith
LB Lee Woodall
LB Wali Rainier
LB Donta Jones
CB Taje Allen
CB Shannon Layton
FS Mark Carrier
SS Jeff McCormick

With eight different starters from last year's 4-12 squad, I hope to see some improved play. First Donald Hayes will be starting at split end in place of Patrick Jeffers, who is no longer with the team. Tarik Glenn is an improvement for Chris Terry at right tackle. Heath Lindley is our new punter and Rico Bolduc will be handling kick return duties. On defense, the line stays intact while the linebacking situation is much different. Donta Jones and Wali Rainier are new starters and the rookie Brock Brock will see significant playing time off the bench. Another rookie, Jeff McCormick, gets the call to replace the retired Steve Atwater at strong safety while fellow rookie Shannon Layton will be starting at left cornerback. I imagine this young secondary will be tested early and often.

I will review the receiver corps and linebacker corps following the preseason games and make changes accordingly.

Old 11-12-2000, 08:11 PM   #21
FishFan
College Prospect

Through presaeon, only one major injury to G Matthew Campbell. He will sit out the first few games of the season with a bruised sternum. Tim Biakabutuka bruised a rib cage and was held out out of the final preseason contest. He is expected to start in week 1.

The receiving corp was solid, especially Mushin Muhammed. Beuerlein was so-so and don't be surprised to see Otis Pederson get some PT if Beuerlein stumbles early. As far as linebackers go, Wali Rainier will be a All-Pro if he keeps playing like he has in preseason. My rookie defensive backs have been solid as well. I feel we should improve on our 4-12 mark last year. Here's to hoping....
Old 11-12-2000, 10:34 PM   #22
FishFan
College Prospect

Regular Season Results

Week 1 at St. Louis(W27-17, 1-0)
Week 2 vs Houston(W42-21, 2-0)
Week 4 vs Chicago(W39-20, 3-0)
Week 5 vs San Francisco(W31-14, 4-0)
Week 6 at Detroit(L3-20, 4-1)
Week 7 at New Orleans(L14-17, 4-2)
Week 8 vs Atlanta(W17-10, 5-2)
Week 9 vs New Orleans(W16-10, 6-2)
Week 10 at Philadelphia(W28-21, 7-2)
Week 11 at Kansas City(L17-27, 7-3)
Week 12 vs San Diego(W51-10, 8-3)
Week 13 at San Francisco(W24-13, 9-3)
Week 14 at Atlanta(L30-31, 9-4)
Week 15 vs St. Louis(W27-14, 10-4)
Week 16 vs NY Giants(W34-10, 11-4)
Week 17 at Denver(L3-13, 11-5)
Divisional Playoff vs Atlanta(W24-17, 12-5)
NFC Championship vs Washington(W29-20, 13-5)
Super Bowl IV vs Seattle(L24-27OT, 13-6)

What a difference a few roster changes make. The offense is putting points on the board through week 4 and the defense is 2nd in the league against the run(56 YPG). If we can shore up the pass defense, we should contest. Biakabutuka has found new legs and Beuerlein is not doing anything to hurt us. I have swapped the way my corners line up in hopes of shutting down top receivers. Taje Allen has played well with 3 picks in four games.

As soon as I compliment Beuerlein's performance, he proceeds to throw 4 INTs in a 20-3 loss to Detroit to fall to 4-1. His rating falls from 90.2 to 74.3 and is now on the "hot seat".

After losing two in a row, the Panthers rebound with a loss against division leading Atlanta. Biakabutuka ran for 93 yards and a score in the win. After winning their third game in a row, the Panthers are atop their division, but have lost DE Chuck Smith for the year. Arthroscopic knee surgery lands him on injured reserve. DE Travis Kirschke was signed to take his spot on the roster.

In week 12, the offense exploded for 51 points as Carolina improved to 8-3. Donald Hayes caught 10 balls for 213 yards and three scores and Biakabutuka ran for 113 yards and a score. They remain a game ahead of Atlanta and St. Louis, who are at 7-4.

The Panthers clinched a playoff spot and the NFC West in week 16. A 34-10 win, without Biakabutuka, was highlighted by 101 yards receiving a 2 TDs for Donald Hayes, who has been spectacular the past few weeks. Biakabutuka banged up an elbow, but should be back for the next game. In addition, CB Shannon Layton, who had been neched in favor of Tommie Elliot, was lost for the year with a borken toe.

Bad news in week 17. With the division clinched, I decided to play Beuerlein anyway. He pulled a groin muscle again and will probably miss the playoffs. He will be a week-to-week decision. He had been hampered by the same injury throughout the past three years. I won't make that mistake again.

Divisional Playoff vs Atlanta
Carolina secured a victory when little-used S Perry Fitzsimmons picked off a Chris Chandler pass and returned it 27 yards to put the Panthers up 24-9 with under 10 minutes to play. Atlanta scored with 2:41 remaining for the final score of 24-17. Tim Biakabutuka ran for 160 yards and one score and QB Otis Pederson went 18-31-0-185. Efficient play from an inexperienced QB will hopefully carry over into the Conference Championship. Mushin Muhammed caught 8 balls for 110 yards.

NFC Championship vs Washington
The Panthers advanced to the Super Bowl for the second time with a 29-20 win over Washington. Carolina built a 10-0 lead and was never really threatened as Biakabutuka won game honors with a 24 carry, 194 yard performance. He also scored twice. Pederson played impressively as well(23-34-0-211 1TD) and may have settled my QB situation for next year. Muhammed added a score and 72 yards receiving.

Super Bowl IV vs Seattle
Seattle and Carolina shared the league's best record at 11-5 in a very balanced year. They will be a tough test for the Panthers.

Carolina got the scoring started when Biakabutuka broke through the Seattle defense and scored from 57 yards out on the game's third play. He was responsible for all 80 yards on the drive. Things are looking good for Carolina. Seattle would answer, however, on a one yard TD run. A 62-yard pass on their second play highlighted the drive. On the ensuing drive, Pederson went to the air and found Donald Hayes for a 49 yard score. The 4-play, 67-yard drive put Carolina up 14-7. With 7:59 left in the first quarter, this has all the makings of a shootout.

After a three-and-out for Seattle, Carolina scored quickly again. Pederson found Muhammed for 17 yards, Swift for 13, and then Zahavi for a 53 yard score. Another quick, 4-play drive and the Panthers are up 21-14 in the first quarter! Another three-and-out for the Seahawks and a longer, more sustained drive from the Panthers ended in a 23 yard John Kasay field goal. Score: Carolina 24, Seattle 7, 11:15 left in the half.

Another Seattle punt led to a 48-yard FG attempt by Kasay. He left it short, leaving the score 24-7. This would be key later in the game. On the ensuing drive, Seattle managed to make a 56 yard field goal at the halftime buzzer to make it 24-10 going into the lockerrooms.

Kasay missed another field goal early in the third quarter, a 40 yard attempt that went wide right. After the teams exchanged punts a couple of times, the Seahawks held possession at the Carolina 47 with 8:10 left to play, following a bad Heath Lindley punt. Seattle capitalized on two plays that resulted in a 12 yard TD pass to cut the score to 24-17(7:37 left). Carolina put together a strong drive behind the running of Biakabutuka that got down to the Seattle 15. A field goal here would all but end it. Then, the unthinkable happened. Biakabutuka fumbled and Seattle recoverd the ball and returned it to the Seattle 43 with 3:19 left.

It took Seattle less than two minutes to score and tie the game on a 16 yard pass. Carolina will have 1:37 to get into position to win the game on a field goal. On their first play, Pederson found Hayes for 48 yards, down to the Seattle 19! A couple of runs and a holding penalty later set up Kasay to redeem himself with a 42 yard attempt. He missed wide right again! With :12 left on the clock, Seattle gains 31 yards through the air taking them down to the Carolina 37, but could not get the field goal off before the buzzer. Overtime.

Carolina won the toss to receive the ball. A offensive hold and a false start killed their first possesion and Seattle found themselves at the Seattle 49 after another bad punt from Lindley. After passes of 18 and 10 yards, Seattle set up a 44 yard FG. They made good on this one, giving the Seahawks a 27-24 win in what will be a Super Bowl for the ages. QB Brock Reed was named MVP.

Biakabutuka's 225 yards was not enough to bring home the trophy as John Kasay choked this one away. He will not be in a Panther uniform next year. Pederson was also spectacular with a 21-29-0-331 2TD performace. Hayes contributed with 141 yards receving. Brock Reed threw for 3TDs and 317 yards on 23 of 36 passing. Overall, a great game.

Season Stats of Note:

QB Beuerlein 287-490-17-3843 20 TDs 78.9 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 273-1236 14 TDs
WR Hayes 64-959 10 TDs
WR Swift 63-756 4 TDs
WR Muhammed 83-994 2 TDs
C Garcia 39.5 BPct
T Meadows 36.2 BPct
T Glenn 4 SkA
K Kasay 23-28 FGs 52 Lng(missed 3 in Super Bowl IV)
P Lindley 42.1 Avg 26 In20
DE Rucker 9.0 Sacks 44 T
DT Winslett 8.0 Sacks
DT Tubbs 52 T
LB Rainer 125 T 36 A 3.5 Sacks 1 INT
CB Allen 5 INT 52 T
S Carrier 71 T 6 INT 9 PsDfsd
S McCormick 53 T 24 A 6 INT(2TD) 7 PsDfsd

Awards:

MVP: Thomas Jones, ARI
OFF POY: Thomas Jones, ARI
DEF POY: Dennis Small, NYG
OFF ROY: Ralph Drake, BUF
DEF ROY: Casey Barber, STL

LB Wali Rainer All-Pro 1st Team
CB Taje Allen All-Pro 2nd Team

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-13-2000).]
Old 11-12-2000, 11:00 PM   #23
FishFan
College Prospect

Another safety reitred to hand the Panther secondary another shot in the face. Mark Carrier retired after four seasons. Carrier finished his career with 17 interceptions and 42 deflections. He also colledcted 309 tackles and 93 assistsin 64 starts. After playing a year in Washington, Carrier started all 48 games with Carolina.

Former coach, Tyrone Horiszny was given a 3 year contract extension by the Houston Lone Stars. He is 12-20 with the Lone Stars.

Unrestricted
QB Steve Beuerlein
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB William Floyd
C Frank Garcia
G Matthew Campbell
LB Donta Jones
DE Travis Kirschke
DE Mike Rucker
DE Howie Peter
CB Taje Allen
S Deon Grant

Restricted
QB Juan Smith
RB Chester Testeverde
DT Jim Sellers
CB DJ Van Pelt
QB Otis Pederson
DT Howie Tubbs

Decisions, decisions. First I secured Tim Biakabutuka by slapping the franchise tag on him. Beuerlein will probably request too much for me to go after him, so I will concetrate on Otis Pederson, who was superb in the playoffs last year. Pederson will probably command 5-6 mil a year. I will concentrate on CB Taje Allen, G Matthew Campbell, and DE Mike Rucker. All of the restricted free agents will probably ask for too much, although I may take QB Smith for around 1.5 mil. C Garcia would be nice, but not critical. FB Floyd, LB Jones, DE Kirschke, DE Peter, and S Grant will probably not be in a Panther uniform next season, unless their demands dimisnish. I will have about 32 mil to spend on free agents and rookies.
Old 11-12-2000, 11:28 PM   #24
FishFan
College Prospect

I begin the free agent period by offering contracts to Panther's G Campbell, DE Rucker, and CB Allen. Allen signs right away for 16.28 mil over three years. Detroit offered Beuerlein 39.81 mil over four years, quickly taking me out of the running for his services. Beuerlein signed with Detroit in week 3 while I offered Jacksonville's Donovin Darius a contract equal to the Jaguars offer. However, Darius went ahead and signed with the Jags. In week 6, DE Rucker accepted my latest offer of 18.12 mil for 4 years, while Buffalo offered FB Folyd 2.5 for two years. I decide to stay out of his bidding as he will probably back up Klemm next year. I, instead, offer C Garcia a contract to try to retain his services. G Campbell accepts a 3 year, 10.14 mil contract in week 8, which is the last of my goals for this year's FA period. I still have about 21.5 mil left to spend. Chicago outbids me for Garcia in week 11, but I decide to stand firm as he has very high loyalty and high play for winner ratings. Hopefully, they hold true in this case. In week 13, Garcia did accpet my lower bid of 7.44 mil for three years. That signing keeps my offensive line intact and ends my major activity. Overall, a great free agent period for the Panthers.

I will wait until after the draft to sign QB Otis Pederson.

Other signings involving Carolina Panthers:

FB William Floys signs with Buffalo 2.49- 2 years

Old 11-13-2000, 12:03 AM   #25
FishFan
College Prospect

My concerns for the draft involve my QB situation, replacing Mark Carrier in the defensive backfield, replacing the non-clutch kicker John Kasay, and finding quality back ups with low draft picks every round.

Draft Results
S James Horn, South Carolina
QB Broderick Orth, Georgia Tech
RB Ricky Irby, Florida
FB Kendrick Oreck, Miami(FLA)
DE Geoff Durr, Army
DT Kevin Flynn, Troy St.
LB Fred Watson, Fairmont St.

S Horn gives me a capable replacement for Carrier, but I am not sure if he is a long-term solution. I felt I really needed to address this position, so took Horn over more talented players in the first round. QB Orth has pretty good potential and can help push Pederson for the starting job in a few years. RB Irby and FB Oreck are capable backfield backups.

After the draft, I signed the following players(league min, unless noted):

(restricted free agents)
QB Juan Smith 4.10 mil - 3 years
QB Otis Pederson 32.00 - 5 years
DT Howie Tubbs 11.95 - 4 years

(others)
K Jesse Sexton 630K - 1 year
DE Jay Oster
CB Brett Price

Can you say, "Scott Norwood"? I ended preseason acitivity by releasing K John Kasay, who choked away Super Bowl IV by missing three field goals in a 27-24 loss to Seattle. Good riddance.
Old 11-13-2000, 12:19 AM   #26
FishFan
College Prospect

QB Otis Pederson
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB Kelly Klemm
TE Vince Lake
WR Mushin Muhammed
WR Donald Hayes
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Guinn
RG Benji Olson
RT Tarik Glenn

K Jesse Sexton
P Heath Lindley
PR/KR Rico Bolduc

DE Mike Rucker
DT Amos Winslett
DT Howie Tubbs
DE Chuck Smith
LB Lee Woodall
LB Wali Rainier
LB Brock Brock
CB Taje Allen
CB Shannon Layton
FS Jeff McCormick
SS James Horn

Again, some changes in the starting lineup due to retirement, releases, rookies, etc. The biggest change, of course, is Otis Pederson taking over for Steve Beuerlein, who departed for greener pastures in Detroit. FB Kelly Klemm replaces William Floys who took off to Buffalo. Frank Guinn and Frank Garcia will platoon at center, but Guinn is listed as the starter for the first time. Jesse Sexton replaces John Kasay, thankfully. Brock Brock steps into the starting lineup in his second year, replacing Donta Jones, who was not resigned. Finally, rookie James Horn replaces the retired Mark Carrier.
Old 11-13-2000, 12:25 AM   #27
FishFan
College Prospect

Of the original 53 guys on the roster at the start of the 2000 season, only 10 remain.

RB Tim Biakabutuka
DE Chuck Smith
LB Lee Woodall
CB Tommie Elliot
DE Mike Rucker
LB Hannibal Navies
WR Donald Hayes
WR Mushin Muhammed
C Frank Garcia
G Matthew Campbell

These 10 players account for 30.9 million of my 81.8 million payroll.

W-L Record by Division
NFC West 16-18
NFC Central 7-3
NFC East 7-2
AFC West 6-3
AFC Central 1-3
AFC East 3-2

vs NFC 30-23
vs AFC 10-8

Regular Season 35-29
Playoffs 5-2

Overall 40-31

Old 11-13-2000, 06:05 PM   #28
FishFan
College Prospect

During preseaon, the Panthers were hit with many injuries. DE Chuck Smith, G Benji Olson, and G Brady Stockman. Smith and Olson will probably be ready to open the season, but Stockman will be out til mid-season.

Broderick Orth and Otis Pederson both played well, but Pederson will get the call to start the season. This could in up being a QB merry-go-round season, though.
Old 11-13-2000, 07:01 PM   #29
FishFan
College Prospect

2004 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Atlanta(L21-36, 0-1)P
Week 2 vs Green Bay(W25-22, 1-1)P
Week 3 at New England(L9-16, 1-2)P
Week 4 at St. Louis(L0-27, 1-3)P
Week 5 vs San Francisco(W23-20, 2-3)O
Week 6 at New Orleans(L3-10, 2-4)O
Week 7 vs Atlanta(W30-3, 3-4)S
Week 9 vs Indianapolis(W15-10, 4-4)S
Week 10 at San Francisco(L3-34, 4-5)P
Week 11 at Philadelphia(W22-10, 5-5)P
Week 12 vs NY Jets(L3-30, 5-6)S
Week 13 at Chicago(L8-24, 5-7)S
Week 14 vs St. Louis(W41-13, 6-7)S
Week 15 vs New Orleans(W35-24, 7-7)S
Week 16 vs Washington(L24-27, 7-8)S
Week 17 at Buffalo(W22-15, 8-8)S

For the second time, the Panthers begin a season following a Super Bowl appearance slowly. Through four weeks, the team is 1-3 and were shutout for the first time in franchise history by St. Louis, 27-0. After signing a longterm deal, Pederson is not getting the job done. His 64.4 rating will not cut it and rookie Broderick Orth will get an opportunity to turn this season around.

In week 5, G Benji Olson goes down again, but Brady Stockman is ready to go. Orth through 4 interceptions in his debut, but engineered a fourth quarter comeback in Dan Marino style. He ended with 328 yards and 2 scores. He followed up that performance with another 4 interceptions in a 10-3 loss to New Orleans. One of those picks was returned 68 yards for the game's only touchdown. Orth was promptly benched in favor of Juan Smith. Pederson will back him up.

Although they switched QBs three twice, the Panthers headed into the bye week at 3-4 follwoing a big 30-3 win over Atlanta. After leading the Panthers to two straight wins, Juan Smith bangs up his shoulder and will be out a few weeks. Pederson takes the helm for the second time this year.

Smith returned to the lineup and proceeded to lead the team to two straight losses before finding his magic again in a 41-13 romp of St. Louis that took Carolina to 6-7. They are one of five teams fighting for the last two playoff spots.

A huge 35-24 win over archrival and division leading New Orleans improves the Panthers to 7-7 and a game out of the last playoff spot. But, a heartbreaker loss to 11-3 Washington on a last second field goal puts a damper on their playoff hopes. Tampa Bay has a win and in opportunity, while Carolina, San Francisco, and Philly hope that the Bucs falter. Carolina beats the Bills, 22-15, but it is not enough as Tampa downs Chicago to advance to the playoffs.

Washington and Pittsburgh are the favorites to appear in Super Bowl V as the playoffs begin. New England upsets the Steelers in the Divisional Playoffs but are defeated by the Jets, who advance to the Super Bowl to face the Redskins. The 'Skins ward them off to claim Super Bowl V, 20-14. Brad Johnson was named MVP.

Season Stats of Note:

QB Smith(5-3) 121-211-8-1452 10 TDs 78.5 Rtg
QB Pederson(2-4) 128-209-11-1199 1 TD 56.6 Rtg
QB Orth(1-1) 43-81-8-456 2 TDs 38.3 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 313-1290 9 TDs
WR Hayes 73-969 5 TDs
WR Swift 67-862 3 TDs
WR Muhammed 57-619 2 TDs
C Guinn 32.9 BPct 4 SkA
G Campbell 0 SkA
T Meadows 3 SkA
T Glenn 34.6 BPct 5 SkA
K Sexton 33-40 FG 55 Lg
P Lindley 42.9 Avg 30 In20
DE Smith 16.0 Sacks
DE Rucker 58 T
DT Winslett 5.5 Sacks
LB Rainer 106 T 50 A 3.5 Sacks 2 INT
LB Woodall 76 T 25 A 2.5 Sacks 2 INTs(2 TDs)
CB Allen 60 T
S McCormick 61 T 32 A 2 INT

Awards:

MVP: Jeff Blake, PIT
OFF POY: Jeff Blake, PIT
DEF POY: LeRoy Butler, GBY
OFF ROY: Raymond Givens, HOU
DEF ROY: Randy Rivera, BAL

Old 11-13-2000, 07:14 PM   #30
FishFan
College Prospect

There are no retirements to report heading into 2005 and very few free agents worth going after, which is good since I will only have about 12 mil under the cap.

Unrestricted
TE Ernie Conwell
CB Tommie Elliot
TE Vince Lake
WR Joseph Swift
C Preston Gatson
K Jesse Sexton

Restricted
RB Roderick Malbrough
C Frank Guinn
LB Ronald Marsh

The priorities here include the WR Swift, who I place the franchise tag on, TE Lake, and C Guinn. I will also try to land K Sexton.

I get a few interseting offers. One for QB Orth in exchange for a 1st rounder(29th overall). This is interesting, but Orth's potential has increased, so I will pass for now. The Bears also offered me QB Jim Miller and a 5th round pick for G Campbell. I pass on this as Campbell did not allow a sack last year.

I need to leave about 4 mil for rookies, which leaves 9 mil to sign free agents with.
Old 11-13-2000, 07:34 PM   #31
FishFan
College Prospect

The only contract I offer at the beginning of the FA period goes to Jesse Sexton. The PK quickly accepts in week 4. I slip in an offer for S Ronnie Wilkins of the Miami Dolphins to try to bolster my secondary. He accepts right away in an effort to get away from Miami. This is a huge pick up, but may keep me from re-signing Guinn or Lake.

After Pittsburgh makes a bid on Lake, I counter with a slightly smaller offer, which he accepts. Guinn is a restricted FA which I will try to sign after the draft.

FA Signings
K Jesse Sexton 3.08 - 3 years
S Ronnie Wilkins 7.55 - 3 years
TE Vince Lake 7.25 - 3 years
Old 11-13-2000, 08:06 PM   #32
FishFan
College Prospect

The only thing I am looking in this draft for are backups at non-skilled positions. I would also like a young WR that can overtake the declining Mushin Muhammed. A quality DE backup is also a big need.

Draft Results
WR Vinny Short, Clemson
LB Calvin Sandberg, East Carolina
RB Ty Durham, Grambling
DE Jerald Russell, Southern California
C Louis Sanborn, Maryland
TE Dexter Lester, W. Virginia Wesleyan
CB Bob Hartmna, Iowa St.

I feel I had an excellent draft. WR Short can be a big time receiver down the road and LB Sandberg has great potential and can team up with Brock and Rainer to create a great trio of linebackers. The rest should be capable backups for quality starters.

With the acquisition of Vinny Short, I decide that Muhammed is expendable. I ship him to Miami along with a 5th round pick for their 2nd round pick. I then resign my last target, C Frank Guinn, to a 6.60 mil, 3 year contract.

Following training camp, I released a couple of the rookies I drafted, CB Bob Hartman and DE Jerald Russell.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:22 PM   #33
FishFan
College Prospect

QB Otis Pederson
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB Kelly Klemm
TE Vince Lake
WR Donald Hayes
WR Joseph Swift
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Guinn
RG Benji Olson
RT Tarik Glenn

K Jesse Sexton
P Heath Lindley
PR/KR Rico Bolduc

DE Mike Rucker
DT Amos Winslett
DT Howie Tubbs
DE Chuck Smith
LB Brock Brock
LB Wali Rainier
LB Calvin Sandberg
CB Taje Allen
CB Shannon Layton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Jeff McCormick

Not as many changes in the lineup as years past. The Panthers will start Joseph Swift at split end, moving Donald Hayes up to flanker. Calvin Sandberg, a rookie linebacker, will start on the outside, replacing Lee Woodall. Necomer Ronnie Wilkins will start at free safety, replacing James Horn.

Otis Pederson will get the nod, but that can change at anytime.

Let's stay healthy during the preseason.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:39 PM   #34
FishFan
College Prospect

Preseason was tough for the Panthers in 2005. First, my prized free agent safety Ronnie Wilkins comes up lame and will miss the first portion of the season. Then, my top DT Howie Tubbs was also hurt and will sit out the first couple of games.

Pederson plays well and will start in week 1, but Biakabutuka started slow in preseason. That will be a position to watch as he has lost some of his breakaway speed that made him so dangerous.

Old 11-13-2000, 10:04 PM   #35
FishFan
College Prospect

2005 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Green Bay(W30-17, 1-0)
Week 2 at Pittsburgh(W19-13, 2-0)
Week 3 vs San Francisco(W33-23, 3-0)
Week 5 vs Cincinnati(L21-28, 3-1)
Week 6 at New Orleans(L10-17, 3-2)
Week 7 vs Atlanta(L21-24, 3-3)
Week 8 at Tennessee(W23-20, 4-3)
Week 9 vs Jacksonville(L31-38, 4-4)
Week 10 at Philadelphia(W22-16, 5-4)
Week 11 vs NY Giants(L24-27, 5-5)
Week 12 at Atlanta(L7-37, 5-6)
Week 13 vs St. Louis(W13-7, 6-6)
Week 14 vs Detroit(W40-30, 7-6)
Week 15 at San Francisco(W26-10, 8-6)
Week 16 at St. Louis(W28-23, 9-6)
Week 17 vs New Orleans(L3-30, 9-7)
Wild Card Game at Tampa Bay(W26-20, 10-7)
Divisional Playoff at Washington(L17-20, 10-8)

I make it into week 4, the bye week, very impressed, especially with rookie WR Vinny Short. All Short has done is catch 15 balls for 185 yards and 3 scores, including the game winning TD in overtime in week 2. Biakabutuka has already put up 355 yards in three games, indicating my worries about him were a little premature. The defense looks sharp and will only get better with Wilkins and Tubbs returning for week 5.

Injuries hit me hard in a 28-21 loss to the Bengals. Among the hurt are Pederson, Tubbs, Zahavi, Guinn, and Price. This will force me to make some decisions. I signed former Jacksonville QB Mo McNally to take the reins while Pederson is hurt. I do not have confidence in either Smith or Orth at this point. To make room, T RJ Porter was released.

Injuries are killing me in week 7 and I do not like what McNally is doing for my offense, so I let Orth take a few snaps. Hopefully, I will catch a couple of breaks and get on a roll again. The Panthers have dropped three straight since beginning the year 3-0.

The Panthers split the next six games and currently stand last in the NFC West, which is one of the nest division year in and year out. New Orleans leads at 8-4. The following weak, I receive another blow as Adam Meadows goes down for the year. I sign Keith Anderson to fill in for the rest of the year.

Decision time. I have won four in a row with McNally at the helm, but Pederson is ready to go. I am 9-6 and a win secures a playoff spot. Should I go with Pederson, who played extremely well in the first three games, or go with McNally who has been efficient in the last four. I decide to go with Pederson.

The decision almost bites me in the ass. I get drubben by the Saints, 30-3, and finish 4th in the division. Fortunately, the NFC West send four teams to playoffs. I will be going on the road to play Tampa Bay in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Wild Card Game at Tampa Bay
I feel if I can stop the run, I should be able to get by this team. Dorey Dillon leads the charge, but a trio of subpar QBs, including former Panther Jeff Lewis, should not be able to get past my secondary. Rico Bolduc sparked a comeback with a 98 yard kickoff return and Pederson found Joseph Swift from 3 yards out in OT to advance the Panthers past the Bucs, 26-20.

Divisional Playoff at Washington
Donald Hayes and Tarik Glenn will join the inactive list for this contest against the league's best team. I'll admit it will be a huge upset if Carolina get past the 'Skins.
Rondell Loundesbrough is the Marshall Faulk of Washington. Expect him to be able to put up numbers.

As expected, the Panther defense could not stop the 'Skin offense, as Washingotn built up a 17-7 lead at the half. An early Panther FG in the 3rd quarter cut the lead to 7 at 17-10, but the Skins countered with a FG of their own to push the lead back to 10. Up to this point Biakabutuka has not been able to get anything going. After the teams exchanged punts a few times, the Panthers were able to finally get Biakabutuka going and sustained a drive that resulted in a Pederson to Short TD. 20-17, 3:02 left. The Panthers got the ball back, after using all their timeouts, with :56 left to play. On 4th and 10, Pederson completed a pass to keep the drive alive. With :07 seconds left, another completion down to the WAS17, but they could not spike the ball in time to set up a FG. Washington wins, 20-17.

Washington would go on to face Cincinnati in Super Bowl VI. Washington repeats as world champion with a 21-18 squeaker. Brad Johnson is, again, named Super Bowl MVP.

Season Stats of Note:

QB McNally 126-210-3-1617 7 TDs 89.3 Rtg
QB Pederson 70-139-4-746 4 TDs 63.9 Rtg
QB Orth 91-162-10-1067 9 TDs 69.0 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 287-1439 11 TDs
WR Hayes 54-685 0 TDs
WR Swift 64-762 6 TDs
WR Short 61-979 9 TDs
C Guinn 40.3 BPct 2 SkA
G Campbell 38.2 BPct
T Meadows 35.0 BPct 0 SkA
T Glenn 33.8 BPct
K Sexton 30-35 FG 55 Lg
P Lindley 42.7 Avg 31 In20
DE Smith 15.5 Sacks
DE Rucker 7.0 Sacks 33 T
DT Winslett 11.0 Sacks
LB Rainer 102 T 55 A 3.5 Sacks 1 INT
LB Brock 85 T 23 A 2.0 Sacks 1 INTs
CB Layton 46 T 2 INTs
S Wilkins 6 INTs 9 PsDefn 63 T
S McCormick 86 T 22 A 7 INT 6 PsDefn

Awards:

MVP: Brad Johnson, WAS
OFF POY: Brad Johnson, WAS
DEF POY: Zach Thomas, MIA
OFF ROY: Horace Noisy, DEN
DEF ROY: Spencer Kelly, BAL

LB Wali Rainer All-Pro 2nd Team

I feel WR Vinny Short was screwed out of the OROY Award. Noisy managed 1046 yards and 4 scores as a RB compared to 979 yards and 9 TDs for Short. Vinny will be a player for years to come.

Old 11-13-2000, 10:23 PM   #36
FishFan
College Prospect

I was all set to fire my coach after going 18-16 in the past two seasons, but B.J. Banks retired before I could make the call. I will have to re-sign my scout and find a new coach before the FA Period. Banks finished his coaching career with a 49-39 record, including a 6-2 mark in the playoffs. In three trips to the postseason, he led the Panthers to one Super Bowl Championship.

I put an offer out to an untested coach, Ike Turnbull. The 58 year old has not coached at this level, but has pretty good ratings across the board. I also offer current scout Ricky Leathers a 400K, 5 year contract. Leathers accepts in week 2 after I raise my offer to 440K and Turnbull comes aboard in week 3 at 2.90 million.

In player news, C Frank Garcia retired after a falling out with the organization. He was obviously upset by being replaced by Frank Guinn in the starting lineup. Garcia started 60 games in his first four years with Carolina, but was regulated to backup duty the past two. He allowed only 27 sacks and had a block percentage of 35.8 in six seasons.

Here is my free agent situation for 2005:

Unrestricted
DE Chuck Smith
T Tarik Glenn
LB Hannibal Navies
TE Cole Carter
QB Mo McNally
FB Kelly Klemm
G Brady Stockman
T Keith Anderson

Restricted
T Myron Chan
S Jeff McCormick
FB Kendrick Oreck
DT Kevin Flynn

I do not expect much room under the cap, but I would like to retain Smith, Glenn, Klemm, and McCormick. McNally would be a great addition, but I bet he will command too much. I could try to shop Pederson, who has diminshed following his injury and sign McNally to a longterm deal. We'll see what we can get for Pederson and go from there. I estimate about 12.5 mil to work with.

I slapped the franchise tag on Chuck Smith before heading to the FA Period.

Old 11-13-2000, 10:53 PM   #37
FishFan
College Prospect

I make a couple of offers to begin the FA Period. One to T Calvin Taylor of the Arizona Cardinals and my own T, Keith Anderson. I decide not to pursue Tarik Glenn becasue of demands. Taylor is rated higher and much cheaper. Anderson signs in week 2 for 1.95 mil over two years while Taylor waits. Taylor ends up signing with Minnesota, a tough blow to the Panthers.

Glenn ends up signing with Green Bay and my other T target, Leslie Schwartz signs with San Diego. That leaves me with a big whole at RT. FB Kelly Klemm also bolts after I offered him a lesser contract than New England.

I try to salvage something from this FA Period by offering QB Mo McNally a 5 year, 37.5 mil contract in week 10. If he signs, I will abruptly release or trade Pederson. I could not find a team interested earlier, but maybe something will change following free agency. McNally finally accepts after week 13. Now, I will have to get rid of Pederson.

I release Pederson following the FA Period and take the 800K cap hit. He will also cost me 1.6 mil next year, but I could not afford to keep him around.

On to the draft...
Old 11-13-2000, 11:13 PM   #38
FishFan
College Prospect

For this year's draft, I will look for a tackle and a cornerback. If there is a great CB available, I can unload Taje Allen and sign a free agent T, which is my biggest need. I doubt I will find a rookie T that can contribute right away.

Draft Results
CB Johnnie Benton, Missouri
DT Richard Tomczak, Cincinnati
FB Ralph Malone, Texas Tech
G Jonathan Shea, Penn St.
C Stephen Mahoney, Middle Tenn. St.
TE Lawrence Graham, Texas
T Myron Bronson, Oklahoma

A great draft! I can do something with my three decent corners and land a free agent tackle. Every guy I drafted can be a contributor. If Mo McNally can emerge as my future quarterback, I may have put together all of the pieces for 2006.

Old 11-13-2000, 11:25 PM   #39
FishFan
College Prospect

Following the draft, I signed a couple of restricted free agents:

S Jeff McCormick 6.60 - 3 years
FB Kendrick Oreck 4.50 - 3 years

I signed all of my rookies and made one trade:

I sent RB Ricky Irby and a 4th round pick to Minnesota for T Neil Hammond.

I finished my activity by signing RB Marc Micalles to a league min. salary.

Old 11-14-2000, 08:12 PM   #40
FishFan
College Prospect

QB Mo McNally
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB Kendrick Oreck
TE Vince Lake
WR Vinny Short
WR Donald Hayes
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Guinn
RG Benji Olson
RT Neil Hammond

K Jesse Sexton
P Heath Lindley
PR/KR Rico Bolduc

DE Mike Rucker
DT Amos Winslett
DT Howie Tubbs
DE Chuck Smith
LB Brock Brock
LB Wali Rainer
LB Calvin Sandberg
CB Taje Allen
CB Shannon Layton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Jeff McCormick

The Mo McNally era officially begins in Carolina in 2006. He unseats Otis Pederson as starting QB of the Panthers. In other changes from 2005, Kendrick Oreck starts at fullback in place of Kelly Klemm who left via free agency. The outstadning rookie WR Vinny Short will see a lot of ball thrown his way as he replaces Joseph Swift in the lineup. Neil Hammond will start at RT, replacing the free agent casualty, Tarik Glenn.

With the whole defensive unit coming back for 2006, I expect another trip to the playoffs.

Old 11-14-2000, 08:21 PM   #41
FishFan
College Prospect

A 3-1 preseason and great performances from Biakabutuka, McNally, and Short give me high expectations going into the regular season.

The only disappointment was an injury to rookie CB Johnnie Benton. He will miss the first half of the season with a broken jaw.
Old 11-14-2000, 09:25 PM   #42
FishFan
College Prospect

2006 Regular Season Results

Week 1 vs Minnesota(W41-13, 1-0)
Week 2 at New Orleans(L18-36, 1-1)
Week 3 at San Diego(L10-13, 1-2)
Week 4 at Houston(L13-21, 1-3)
Week 5 vs St. Louis(L13-16, 1-4)
Week 6 vs Atlanta(W31-19, 2-4)
Week 8 at Atlanta(L19-24, 2-5)
Week 9 vs New Orleans(L23-26, 2-6)
Week 10 at San Francisco(W20-10, 3-6)
Week 11 at Green Bay(W34-13, 4-6)
Week 12 vs San Frnacisco(W17-9, 5-6)
Week 13 at St. Louis(L6-34, 5-7)
Week 14 vs Oakland(W29-0, 6-7)
Week 15 vs Denver(L6-24, 6-8)
Week 16 at Philadelphia(L14-38, 6-9)
Week 17 vs Arizona(L12-21, 6-10)

The Panthers stumble out of the gate, dropping two of their first three, both coming on the road, however.

We continue our downward spiral all the way to a 2-4 record heading into the bye week. I'll give McNally a few more chances before going to Broderick Orth. Biakabutuka has been stellar, gaining 621 yards in six games.

A 26-23 loss to New Orleans, which drops us to 2-6, is the last straw for McNally. I bench him in favor of Orth. Biakabutuka and the defense are playing well, so I have to point the finger at the QB. The Panthers have now lost 12 games to the Saints in 15 tries. They own us.

Orth promptly leads us to a 20-10 win over the 49ers. Biakabutuka, however, is tearing up the league. His second 200-yard game of the season brings his total up to 1099 after nine games, by far his best season to date. The Panthers win their next two with a banged up o-line and a gimpy Biakabutuka to go to 5-6.

Kick return specialist blew out his back and will be out until late next year. Probably a career ending injury. I signed free agent WR Brenden Bourque to handle kicks in Bolduc's abscence. We do, however, shutout the Raiders to improve to 6-7 with an outside shot at the playoffs. Two straight losses take us out of contention.

The Colts, led by Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James, claim Super Bowl VI with a 31-21 win over Washington, who was making their third straight bowl appearance.

Season Stats of Note:

QB McNally 202-356-16-2605 10 TDs 70.4 Rtg
QB Orth 63-116-6-637 1 TD 51.5 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 277-1501 8 TDs
WR Hayes 68-1082 6 TDs
WR Swift 45-532 3 TDs
WR Short 47-745 0 TDs
C Guinn 40.0 BPct 4 SkA
G Campbell 32.0 BPct 5 SkA
G Olson 39.1 BPct 7 SkA
T Meadows 37.6 BPct 4 SkA
T Hammond 36.5 BPct
K Sexton 32-43 FG 52 Lg
P Lindley 42.6 Avg 41 In20
DE Smith 9.0 Sacks
DE Rucker 9.0 Sacks 35 T
DT Winslett 9.0 Sacks 34 T
DT Tubbs 44 T 19 A
LB Rainer 136 T 36 A 3.5 Sacks
LB Brock 66 T 33 A 2.0 Sacks 1 INTs(TD)
S Wilkins 5 INTs 7 PsDefn 82 T 24 A
S McCormick 62 T 20 A

Awards:

MVP: Rondell Londesbrough, WAS
OFF POY: Rondell Londesbrough, WAS
DEF POY: Lance Schulters, SF
OFF ROY: Percy Coccione, BUF
DEF ROY: Doug Gonzalez, KCY

(4th straight selection)
Old 11-14-2000, 09:52 PM   #43
FishFan
College Prospect

DE Chuck Smith decided to call it quits following a disappointing 2006 campaign. Smith has been a staple on my defensive line, starting 98 games in seven seasons. He collected 78.5 sacks and 190 tackles while blocking 24 passes and hurrying 34 passers.

In coach/scout news, former coach Tyrone Horiszny accepted a five year contract extension woth over 6 mil a year to stay with Houston. He has led the expansion team to a 41-41-1 record and 2 playoff appearances in five seasons.

Here is my free agent situation:

Unrestricted
RB Tim Biakabutuka
LB Lee Woodall
QB Juan Smith
WR Brenden Bourque
T Neil Hammond
P Heath Lindley

Restricted
QB Broderick Orth
DE Geoff Durr
LB Fred Watson

Biakabutuka is a no-brainer, he'll get the franchise tag. Hammond and Bourque would be nice additions, but will demand too much. I'll wait until after the draft to negotiate with Orth and probably let the other restricteds go.
Old 11-14-2000, 10:20 PM   #44
FishFan
College Prospect

All my guys are demanding too much, so I will sit back and watch things unfold. I may throw out an offer every once in awhile. I need a DE, but there are no decent 5-7 year players to sign to a long contract. I may settle for an older guy and get him for a couple of years so I can develop a rookie. At this point, it looks like Orth and Smith will both demand too much to resign, which leaves my QB situation in doubt.

I do submit an offer to DE Grant Wistrom for 2 years at 4.25 mil a year. Atlanta and St. Louis both offered more, but Wistrom remains on the market through week 7. In week 9, he signed a one year deal with St. Louis. Neil Hammond is offered 4mil plus per year by Buffalo taking him off my list of targets. Hammond accepts the deal with the Vikings in week 10. After Cleveland offers P Heath Lindley 1.63 mil for 2 years, I offer 1.5 mil. Lindley accepts my deal after two weeks worth of contemplation.

I also sign Tim Biakabutuka to a 3 year, 8.30 mil dollar deal. Sounds like a steal - I hope he doesn't bomb next season.

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-15-2000).]
Old 11-14-2000, 11:19 PM   #45
FishFan
College Prospect

Draft time. My main goals are to sign a young tackle and a stud defensive end. Those are the major holes that I face going into the 2007 season. Other than that, I need a kick returner and some quality backups across the board.

A big decision must be made when my 6th pick comes up. The 2nd highest rated QB is still available, while my main target ad DE, Nicky Gramatica, was selected 2nd overall. I can still land a top notch tackle, but I could go against my strategy and pickup a QB or one of two RBs that look pretty good.

I end up sticking with my strategy and selecting T Bo Schultz. Maybe one of these other guys will fall to the 2nd round. We'll see.

Draft Results
T Bo Schultz, Texas
LB Derrick Shelton, Fresno St.
QB Randall Bright, Maryland
DE Danny Torres, Mississippi
WR Jesse Bates, Wake Forest
LB Tom Blake, Illinois

Overall, a very weak darft. Schultz may be the only keeper out of this group, barring any busts or sleepers. Shelton could be a quality backup with some development, as could Bright. The rest are roster fillers. I will have to hit free agency to find another tackle and quarterback.

A bad draft became worse following training camp. Schultz's ratings fell below the 30s and potential does not reach 75. Ouch.

Following the draft, I made the following moves:

Signed QB Broderick Orth (1.43 - 1 year)
Signed DE Casey Waddell (league min)

Released:

S Perry Fitzsimmons

Old 11-14-2000, 11:40 PM   #46
FishFan
College Prospect

QB Mo McNally
RB Tim Biakabutuka
FB Ralph Malone
TE Vince Lake
WR Vinny Short
WR Donald Hayes
LT Adam Meadows
LG Matthew Campbell
C Frank Guinn
RG Benji Olson
RT Keith Andersen

K Jesse Sexton
P Heath Lindley
PR/KR Jesse Bates

DE Mike Rucker
DT Amos Winslett
DT Howie Tubbs
DE Jay Oster
LB Brock Brock
LB Wali Rainer
LB Calvin Sandberg
CB Johnnie Benton
CB Shannon Layton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Jeff McCormick

Not many changes for 2007. Jay Oster replaces the retired Chuck Smith on the defensive line. 2nd year Johnnie Benton replaces the declining Taje Allen at cornerback. Keith Anderson fills the hole at RT and Ralph Malone gets the call at fullback. Oh, and Jesse Bates will handle kicks.

I am a little concerned with both of my lines and running back may be a little unclear for the first time under my watch. This may be the last year to keep some of these veterans around if we don't make the playoffs.

The Panthers make it through the playoffs with a 3-1 record and no major injuries to report other than S James Horn sprained an ankle. He may miss a couple of games. It looks like the Panther offense knows how to put points up on the board. I believe I have to capable QBs in McNally and Orth.

Old 11-15-2000, 10:04 PM   #47
FishFan
College Prospect

2007 Regular Season Results

Week 1 vs Phialdephia(L21-31, 0-1)
Week 2 at San Francisco(W30-24, 1-1)
Week 3 at St. Louis(W31-28, 2-1)
Week 4 vs New England(W43-13, 3-1)
Week 5 vs Minnesota(L10-34, 3-2)
Week 6 at Atlanta(L16-21, 3-3)
Week 7 vs San Francisco(W31-28, 4-3)
Week 9 vs St. Louis(L27-33, 4-4)
Week 10 at NY Jets(W13-10, 5-4)
Week 11 at Dallas(L8-38, 5-5)
Week 12 vs Indianapolis(L22-25, 5-6)
Week 13 at New Orleans(W23-7, 6-6)
Week 14 at Green Bay(L7-59, 6-7)
Week 15 vs Atlanta(W37-10, 7-7)
Week 16 at Miami(W34-21, 8-7)
Week 17 vs New Orleans(L36-42, 8-8)

A great start to the season finds the Panthers standing at 3-1. The offense is clicking, but the defense could use some work. The unit is pretty young, however.

McNally goes down in week 6 after the team drops two straight to fall to 3-3. Orth takes the helm for a few games. Orth beats the 49ers before falling to the Rams. The Panthers now stand at 4-4 with McNally taking the starting QB job back.

The Panthers cannot put a positive streak together as they fall to 5-6. The defense is just not do it's job and Biakabutuka looks like he has slowed a little. I keep him in there as his backups have not done a great job, either. Disaster hits in week 14 with a 59-7 loss to 4-8 Green Bay. If I could fire my coach in midseason, I probably would have done it just then. With three games to go and at 6-7, my playoff hopes look bleak.

I switch to a RBBC which lead to two straight wins. The team, now at 8-7, could make the playoffs with a win and a lot of help. Six teams stand at 9-6. One of those 9-6 teams, New Orleans, beats me in a shootout 42-36 in overtime. Three teams at 10-6 claim the wild cards, sending me packing yet again.

In a rematch of Super Bowl VII, the Washington Redskins act out a measure of revenge, downing Indianapolis 23-18. The Skins have now gone to the last four Super Bowls, winning three of them. Looks like a dynasty to me. CB Harvey Weydahl is named MVP.

Season Stats of Note:

QB McNally 246-415-15-3039 20 TDs 82.9 Rtg
RB Biakabutuka 198-863 6 TDs
RB Ty Durham 99-367 3 TDs
WR Hayes 85-1262 10 TDs
WR Swift 52-630 2 TDs
WR Short 79-1217 5 TDs
C Guinn 32.8 BPct 1 SkA
G Campbell 5 SkA
T Meadows 37.3 BPct 2 SkA
T Andersen 35.1 BPct 4 SkA
K Sexton 34-41 FG 56 Lg
P Lindley 41.9 Avg 19 In20
DE Rucker 11.5 Sacks 27 T
DT Tubbs 37 T 15 A 5.5 Sacks
LB Rainer 80 T 30 A 5.0 Sacks 2 INTs
LB Brock 72 T 28 A 7.5 Sacks
LB Sandberg 72 T 20 A 1 INT
CB Layton 4 INTs 55 T 12 A
S Wilkins 6 INTs 4 PsDefn 76 T 31 A
S McCormick 81 T 14 A 3 INTs

Awards:

MVP: Rondell Londesbrough, WAS
OFF POY: Rondell Londesbrough, WAS
DEF POY: Calvin Pope, MIA
OFF ROY: Kent Van Der Linden, JAX
DEF ROY: Otis Coffey, IND

(4th selection 2001, 04, 05, 07)

K Jesse Sexton All-Pro 2nd Team
Old 11-15-2000, 10:30 PM   #48
FishFan
College Prospect

Another veteran defensive player called it quits after the 2007 season. CB Taje Allen will not be suiting up again. Allen was a free agent acquisition in 2001 and started 96 games for Carolina in seven season. Over the course of an eight year career, Allen posted 25 interceptions, but only a dismal 28 defensed passes. Of his 25 picks, four of them were returned to "the house". Allen also collected 344 tackles, 83 assists, and four sacks. He was an All-Pro 2nd Team selection in 2002 and 2003.

Former scout Skip Morris also retired after collecting a 59-69-1 record with the Panthers and the Eagles. He made just one trip to the playoffs in his tenure which was the only year he was with Carolina.

With 20 players ending their contracts with the Panthers following 2007, I find myself with many decisions to make.

Unrestricted
T Adam Meadows
WR Donald Hayes
G Benji Olson
TE Vince Lake
WR Wade Zahavi
G Vinny Sawyer
K Jesse Sexton
S Ronnie Wilkins
C Frank Guinn
T Keith Andersen
DT Howie Tubbs
LB Brock Brock
CB Shannon Layton
QB Broderick Orth
S James Horn

Restricted
RB Ty Durham
TE Dexter Lester
C Louis Sanborn
TE Lawrence Graham
C Stephen Mahoney

With five of my six starting offensive linemen free agents, I have serious issues there. I switch the franchise tag from WR Donald Hayes to T Adam Meadows to secure at least one OL retained.

My other goals are to land Olson, Lake, Hayes, Sexton, Wilkins, Guinn, Tubbs, Brock, Layton, and Durham. I have about 42.5 mil to spend, so the cap should not be a problem. Getting them all re-signed will be, though. This should be fun!
Old 11-16-2000, 12:04 AM   #49
FishFan
College Prospect

I go after defense first offering contracts to DT Howie Tubbs, LB Borck Brock, and S Ronnie Wilkins right off the bat, but I receive nothing but bad news in the following week. DT Tubbs and CB Shannon Layton both signed with other teams(PHI & NO).

I take that bit of bad news personally, so I hit the FA market hard in week 2. I put offers on the table for CB Juan Gilbertson, T Blake Brockermeyer, C Cornell Wooden, and DT Omar Hoyle.

No more action through week 5, but the Vikings have offered Orth 46.23 for four years. I won't be touching that. Week 6 brought more bad news. I lost my bids for C Wooden and DT Hoyle, Orth accepted the Vikings offer, and K Jesse Sexton signed with the Jets out of the blue. This is shaping up to be a very bad year for me. As of the sixth week, there are no DEs or DTs looking for the $$$$ their worth.

I raise my offer to CB Gilbertson and offeref K Brant Donaldson a 3-year deal. Week 8 finally gives me a win. Gilbertson signs a 3 year deal worth just under 19 mil. He should be an improvement over Layton at CB, but come at a higher price and a cohesion hit. I also land S Ronnie Wilkins for 16.25 mil over four years.

K Donaldson signs with Indianapolis in week 9. I'll probably wait for a rookie in the draft. I also submit an offer for C Frank Guinn in week 9.

In week 10, some good and bad news. Guinn accepts right away, but I lose Brockermeyer to Atlanta and Benji Olson to NY Jets. This is getting very bad. To offset the loss of Olson, I offer Tyrone Sellars a three-year deal.

Finally, in week 11, I nail down contracts with TE Vince Lake, G Tyrone Sellars, and LB Brock Brock. The bad - I lose S James Horn to Cleveland. I finish up the free agent period by signing Donald Hayes and Adam Meadows.

To sum up:

DT Howie Tubbs signs with PHI (21.97 - 3 years)
CB Shannon Layton signs with NO (32.81 - 4 years)
K Jesse Sexton signs with NYJ (2.90 - 2 years)
QB Broderick Orth signs with DET (30.09 - 3 years)
G Benji Olson signs with NYJ (17.49 - 4 years)
S James Horn signs with CLE (2.93 - 1 year)

Signed CB Juan Gilbertson (19.00 - 3 years)
Signed S Ronnie Wilkins (16.25 - 4 years)
Signed C Frank Guinn (10.46 - 3 years)
Signed TE Vince Lake (9.29 - 3 years)
Signed G Tyrone Sellars (9.15 - 3 years)
Signed LB Brock Brock (16.25 - 4 years)
Signed WR Donald Hayes (11.20 - 3 years)
Signed T Adam Meadows (7.55 - 3 years)

Old 11-16-2000, 12:37 AM   #50
FishFan
College Prospect

Draft Results
DE Vincent Drexler, California
DT Jack Collier, Georgia Tech
G Wally reichard, Virginia Tech
RB Jeremy Emerson, Alcorn St.
S Jake Ogden, Texas
C Rex Perry, Mary Hardin-Baylor
QB Zach Marsh, Akron

Here are the moves I made following the draft:

Signed WR Van Buktus (10.15 - 3 years)
Signed C Travis Swinger (league min)
Signed QB Toby Rexin (league min)
Signed TE Jerome Thomason (league min)
Signed K Chuck Schulz (770K - 1 year)

Traded WR Joseph Swiftand a 5th round pick to CLE for a 3rd round pick

Signed RB Ty Durham (9.75 - 3 years)
Signed TE Max Gibson (800K - 1 year)

Released RB Kennedy Bocaling

Lots of changes here in 2008. I will put everything into perspective later. I don't think I have it all figured out just yet.