Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2000, 11:45 PM   #1
Billsfan
n00b

Post Browns dynasty - new to FOF

I have owned FOF2001 for all 2 weeks now and after following all the other dynasty reports figured it was time to get in on the act. I am brand new to the game (except playing a demo version a year ago) and will gladly take any advice you veterans have to offer as I begin my first dynasty with the Cleveland Browns.

BROWNS PRESEASON 2000
First thing I figured I should do is get to know my coach and my head scout. 36 year old Rich Whiting is my head coach. He has a 4 year deal paying him 1.25 million. Rich is known for his offensive skills being very good with QB's and RB's and good with receivers. He makes good offensive decisions but is only fair as a defensive playcaller. Rich's biggest strength is that he is very good developing young talent.

My Head Scout is 46 year old Brandon Cate. I am concerned about him. While he is very good in assessing receivers and offensive lineman, and good in most other categories he is listed as being Poor at assessing young talent. He has a 4 year contract at 140,000.

Can someone tell me if I am stuck with the coach and scout I have now until next season or are their unemployed ones I can hire during a season? I would think Coach Whiting would be fine but I feel I should upgrade at scout prior to next season.

Billsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 12:28 AM   #2
Billsfan
n00b

PRESEASON ROSTER MOVES
Desperate to upgrade at DB and the offensive line, the Browns signed several free agents:
Tackle Paul Gruber, DB's Myron Bell, Phillipi Sparks and Terrell Buckley, along with DE Chris Doleman were all inked to very inexpensive one year deals.
Our scout was also very high on an undrafted rookie DB named Rob Clemens, out of Louisianna Monroe.
Clemens didnt seem like much with the following ratings
Run D 10/22
M2M 12/33
Zone 17/28
Int 20
End 79

Scout Cate felt he had the most future potential of any CB and being a good judge of secondary talent I took his advice and inked Clemens to a 3 year deal at the league mimimum. He will spend some time on the practice squad but it will be interesting to see if he pans out.

PRESEASON GAME 1
We open at home against the Eagles and come away with an impressive 24-10 victory. The Browns secondary is solid, holding McNabb and Pederson to a combined 142 yards passing and getting a big interception from Percy Ellsworth that set up our first score. The defense had 5 sacks included 2 each from LB Josh Miller and DE Keith Mackenzie.
Offensively, QB Tim Couch looked good, completing 10 of 16 for 151 yards and one td. Stoney Case struggled during the second half. Eric Rhett was impressive picking up 83 yards on the ground while number one receiver Kevin Johnson had a big game - 5 catches for 122 yards.

PRESEASON WEEK 3
Following an off week, the Browns got a harsh dose of reality, getting thumped 22-3 by the Bears in Chicago.
There were very few bright spots, Couch and Ty Detmer both struggled, although starting receivers Kevin Johnson and Dennis Chivarini each had 5 catches. TE Mark Campbell was invisible and the running game never got on track. As for the defense, it is better left unsaid.

PRESEASON WEEK 4
The excitement of the week 1 win is now just a faded memory, following another subpar offensive showing, a 17-3 loss at home to Washington. Rhett may not be the answer at HB and Couch is definately not the answer at QB. The starting job appears to by Ty Detmer's by default.

PRESEASON WEEK 5
The good news...we scored our first touchdown in 12 quarters but were hammered once again....this time 38-13 in the rain at Lambeau Field.
Rhett had a better game, gaining 46 yards on 8 carries. Detmer looked good and Stoney Case had a strong second half. It appears Couch will drop to third string to start the season. Brett Favre picked apart our secondary and while our scout says the DB's will be fine I am not so sure.

FINAL PRESEASON ROSTER MOVE
With the lack of contribution from the TE position, we decided to make a controversial move, offering Mark Chumura a job. Being the only offer he received, he jumped at the opportunity.

Our first real test comes next week at home to Jacksonville.
Old 11-16-2000, 12:39 AM   #3
Billsfan
n00b

2001 Season Opener

BROWNS STUN JAGS 23-16
Errict Rhett had a career day, rushing for 182 yards and one touchdown to lead the Browns to a win in their regular season opener. Ty Detmer was picked off twice but still completed 16 of 26 for over 200 yards. His favorite target was newly signed tight end Mark Chumura, who had 5 catches including the games first touchdown.

It appears some of my moves paid off. Lacking in depth I decided to increase the playing time of most starters. I also tried to emphasis ball control to keep the Jags offense off the field. When Jacksonville had the ball, I went with more nickle packages to try and neutralize McCardell and Smith.

Can we keep it up? Cincinnati next week