Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2000, 01:55 AM   #1
Carligula
H.S. Freshman Team

Exclamation Bug - onside kickoff after a safety

Possession to SEATTLE.

1-10-SEA02 (05:14) Penalty: SEA - Offensive Holding. Safety called on penalty in end zone.
Penalty: SEA - Kickoff went Out of Bounds.

Score: Seattle 7, Denver 30.
SEA 13 Shapiro kicked off (onside) 12 yards from the SEA15. DEN 86 Hanks recovered the kick.

Possession to Denver.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you had to punt after a safety, and I'm pretty sure you can't try an onside kick.

Carligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 11:29 AM   #2
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carligula:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you had to punt after a safety, and I'm pretty sure you can't try an onside kick.

I don't think you HAVE to punt; the rules only require a free kick. Teams punt under the idea that a punt has more hang time, so the coverage team can get downfield to defense the return more easily.

You are correct that onside kicks are not allowed.

------------------
GO HOKIES!! BEAT UCF!!!

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 12:38 PM   #3
ShagVT
H.S. Freshman Team

Actually, the term free kick does not imply the type of kick - it must be a punt. Free kick means that the receiving team cannot try to block the punt.

But it is certainly a punt, and a team cannot recover a (non-fumbled) punt.
ShagVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 01:13 PM   #4
ez
High School JV

these seem to be the pertinent rules (from nfl.com):

------------------
Definitions

11. Free Kick: A kickoff or safety kick. It may be a placekick, dropkick, or punt, except a punt may not be used on a kickoff following a touchdown, successful field goal, or to begin each half or overtime period. A tee cannot be used on a fair-catch or safety kick.

15. Live Ball: A ball legally free kicked or snapped. It continues in play until the down ends.

Kickoff

Safety

1. In addition to a kickoff, the other free kick is a kick after a safety (safety kick). A punt may be used (a punt may not be used on a kickoff).

2. On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee. No score can be made on a free kick following a safety, even if a series of penalties places team in position. (A field goal can be scored only on a play from scrimmage or a free kick after a fair catch.)
----------------

i've always assumed nobody tries an onsides after a safety because of the field position the receiving would usually get, not because it's illegal...

here's another one that was discussed here recently:

Fair catch kick

1. After a fair catch, the receiving team has the option to put the ball in play by a snap or a fair catch kick (field goal attempt), with fair catch kick lines established ten yards apart. All general rules apply as for a field goal attempt from scrimmage. The clock starts when the ball is kicked. (No tee permitted.)

[This message has been edited by ez (edited 11-10-2000).]
Old 11-10-2000, 04:47 PM   #5
Desert Lion
n00b

It has to be a punt. I can hardly believe this is being debated.
Desert Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2000, 02:35 AM   #6
ez
High School JV

It can be "a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee." I can hardly believe this is being debated.
Old 11-11-2000, 05:24 PM   #7
Lynn Dickey
n00b

I seem to remember that in the early 80's teams would sometimes use a placekick instead of punting, so I'm sure ez is right.
Lynn Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2000, 12:07 PM   #8
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone been able to try a free kick after a fair catch in FOF? It's been several years, but I have seen this done with only seconds to play in a half.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote