Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Unhappy Space Shuttle Columbia

Tragic news, and condolences to all involved. Hopefully this will not be the end of the space program as we know it.

ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Wow, this is terrible
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I felt my house shake this morning, and I thought one of my neighbors had backed into my fence or something. Now that I know what it was, it's a bit creepy.

The news is already starting to piss me off. I wish they would stop focusing on the fact that one of the astronauts was Isreali.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
RawIsDan
High School JV

Thumbs down

horrible indeed.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

I live in the Dallas Metroplex, as does my brother-in-law. He lives just north of Ft. Worth and heard it as well. Simply amazing.

And just 3 days after the anniversary of the Challenger tragedy.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My parents in Richardson said they heard something like pebbles hitting the windows, but thought nothing of it at the time.

This brings back some bad memories.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:57 AM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Truely horrible.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #8
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

It woke me and my wife up.

Damn, I hate this has happened again.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #9
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm heart-broken. I remember the Challenger explosion like it was yesterday. I've always idolized NASA; things like this make me feel very empty inside.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #10
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Flame Eater
I'm heart-broken. I remember the Challenger explosion like it was yesterday. I've always idolized NASA; things like this make me feel very empty inside.

I hear ya. I was in 4th grade when that happened. I just can't put into words what I'm feeling right now, much like all those years ago.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

I can't remember what grade I was in when the Challenger exploded. I think 2nd grade. But I remember that day clearly. We spend most of the day in school watching the news.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #12
Ksyrup

That was 1986 right? I can never remember the year, but always remember the month and day. I was in high school, working on my science fair project at home on a teacher in-service day and heard it on the radio. Remember it like it was yesterday.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-01-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
Blackadar
Retired

Oh wow. Damn. That was the 2nd one in my lifetime.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

it's sad that it takes events like this to remind me of how fragile life is, and how close any of us can be to dying at any given moment.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:17 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tragic news, and condolences to all involved. Hopefully this will not be the end of the space program as we know it.

Quote:
The news is already starting to piss me off. I wish they would stop focusing on the fact that one of the astronauts was Isreali.

Ditto on both accounts. I've always been a bit of a dreamer and the concept of space and space travel is the most amazing thing there is. I really hope this doesn't lead to a shutdown of NASA. Maybe they will finally raise NASA's budget so they can stop putting together with duct tape and bubble gum.

Also, I really agree on the Israeli comment. This is along the line of the "no more heroes" thread from a couple of days ago. The news is trying to make a story where there is none. Unless they have proof some Arab was onboard and sabotaging the mission (I seriously doubt that was the case)- i don't care because when it comes right down to it, that's what they are implying. It's things like that which continue to promote a subtle racism in their country. Again, back to what we were talking about in that thread- the creation of a story where there is none just to cater to the lowest common denominator.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

January 28, 1986 was the Challenger explosion

Last edited by sabotai : 02-01-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #17
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I can't believe this has happened again, I don't know what else to think, I turned on CNN.com and couldn't believe that this has happened all over again.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:27 AM   #18
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Well I feel bad for those people, but on the otherhand, they know the risks involved. No one ever said that flying into space wasnt dangerous. I clearly feel for some reason, that this accident could have been prevented. I also feel that its time to re-evaluate our space program, and determine if a better machine needs to be built to do the job.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:28 AM   #19
Tasan
College Starter

http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/archives/sts-1/index.html

Link to the first Columbia mission, which was the first in-orbit mission of the space shuttle program. At the bottom is an article which I'm sure will be removed. The site might be a little slow right now too.

I still am in shock.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:35 AM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

What a start to an awful day. I wake up and my dad tells me they lost a shuttle. First thing I heard on tv was the flag was at half mast
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:35 AM   #21
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

One of my brother's favorite teachers from high school was the runner up on that Challenger thing, a man named Mr. Warren.

This is unbelievable, shocking, and tragic. All I hope for is to find out that it was merely some kind of mechanical glitch and nothing perpetrated by a terrorist group. I live in Austin, so this is fairly close to me.

Wow.

EDIT: I was asleep when this happened, but my mother just told me she heard a loud bang at the time. She thought a transformer had gone out. RIP Columbia astronauts.

Last edited by bigdawg2003 : 02-01-2003 at 10:40 AM.
bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:36 AM   #22
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog
Well I feel bad for those people, but on the otherhand, they know the risks involved. No one ever said that flying into space wasnt dangerous. I clearly feel for some reason, that this accident could have been prevented. I also feel that its time to re-evaluate our space program, and determine if a better machine needs to be built to do the job.

Nobody wants to fund NASA, it will never recover now...it's still been recovering from the Challenger...everyone knows the risks involved but if this was a preventable mistake than it is an unacceptable loss.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:37 AM   #23
FBPro
College Starter

Our hearts and prayers go out to all involved, we are saddened.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:39 AM   #24
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Tasan
http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/archives/sts-1/index.html

Link to the first Columbia mission, which was the first in-orbit mission of the space shuttle program. At the bottom is an article which I'm sure will be removed. The site might be a little slow right now too.

I still am in shock.

I thought Columbia was the first. I was in elementary school (I want to say 5th grade) and I remember watching the first launch. I also remember a group of astronauts coming to our school and telling us what it was like. One of them was on the Challenger a few years later.

This breaks my heart.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:41 AM   #25
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

I remember being in 2nd grade when news first broke about the Challenger...The mere fact that this is now the 2nd such tragedy in so little period of time is deeply troubling. The only thing that bothers me about this coverage is all the focus on the Israeli/we must rule out terrorism angle. There were more people on board than just him, other people that had families, etc. All heroes in their own right. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that Ilan Ramon did something spectacular and the milestone was significant, but at the expense of not saying a word about the rest of the crew? Maybe it's just the coverage I have on from ABC that skews this so far, but IMO, human life is human life..let's focus on the entire crew and finding some answers about what happened and why...

I apologize in advance if anything I said came across as being abrasive. Just needed to vent. Thanks all..
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #26
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I pray for their family who were waiting for them and now .....
Old 02-01-2003, 10:46 AM   #27
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

UNBELIEVABLE!! WHY? WHY? WHY?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #28
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
Nobody wants to fund NASA, it will never recover now...it's still been recovering from the Challenger...everyone knows the risks involved but if this was a preventable mistake than it is an unacceptable loss.

Every loss is unacceptble in any sport, activity, and invention. But that doesnt mean we should just give up on those things. If America doesnt continue to push foward into space, we soon will be passed by countries like china. I think its time for the space program to go from governmental, to commercial.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:55 AM   #29
Tasan
College Starter

Oh China is going to love this. They send their first man into space later this year. I can imagine that they will look to make this some kind of in-your-face point about how reliable THEIR program is or something.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #30
Ksyrup

Aside from the obvious tragedy, this has been a unique experience to go through, since this is the first tragedy my 3.5 year old daughter has been "aware" of (she was just over 1 when 9/11 occurred). At first, we explained to her what we were watching, what happened, that the people on board "did not make it" (then gradually, told her that they died ), etc.

She asked alot of "why?" type questions, then laid her head in my lap while we were watching the replay for the 100th time. A couple of minutes later, she turned her head away from the TV, then a minute later put her hands over her ears. I turned on Disney Channel and she slipped back into her own little world again, as if nothing had happened.

That was one of those moments where you realize that your young child is actually beginning to comprehend things going on around them. I learned alot this morning. No more leaving the TV on to watch coverage of these kinds of things for hours at a time.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #31
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Every loss is unacceptble in any sport, activity, and invention. But that doesnt mean we should just give up on those things. If America doesnt continue to push foward into space, we soon will be passed by countries like china. I think its time for the space program to go from governmental, to commercial.

Commerical??? How? You think a company would make things any safer? Commerical will actually lead to more disasters, NASA barely runs now, hows a company going to keep afloat.

We won't get passed by China, they barely have a program, they are just sending up manned missions...How many people actually have followed NASA recently, probably not many. There has been no incentive to continue on in space missions unless it was for satelite purposes. I'm not saying we should give up, but many people will question what we are doing.

Was Columbia the first shuttle to go up after Challenger? I don't remember if it was Columbia or Discovery, I watched by myself at the request of the principal of my school the followup flight after Challenger and to relay to her what happened...
Old 02-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #32
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Why worry about what country's such as China will do? Who cares.. Let's worry about ourselves and screw the rest of them when it comes to issues such as this..

I'd rather be in a Free Society that didn't even have a space program, than a Communist One that possibly starves its own people and violates their human rights, but is able to make a nice pretty spaceship..

By the way Tasan, I'm not talking to you personally, just venting my feelings. No disrespect to you my friend..

Last edited by MylesKnight : 02-01-2003 at 11:08 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:58 AM   #33
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

If anything this tragedy shhould propel us into further space exploration . The program should rise out of the ashes like a Phoenix and drive us into the next phase of space exploration .
Old 02-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #34
GrantDawg

Quote:

Was Columbia the first shuttle to go up after Challenger? I don't remember if it was Columbia or Discovery, I watched by myself at the request of the principal of my school the followup flight after Challenger and to relay to her what happened...

Columbia was the very first shuttle to orbit the earth. Discovery was the test shuttle. Challenger first launch was later.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:04 AM   #35
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

2 weeks ago the flight merrited nothing news wise ...it received 1 minute of news time and now ......
Old 02-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #36
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Columbia was the very first shuttle to orbit the earth. Discovery was the test shuttle. Challenger first launch was later.

Sorry, Discovery was the third shuttle launch. It went Columbia, Challenger, and then Discovery.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:09 AM   #37
GrantDawg

Oh, and this was something I did not know. The Enterprise was the original test shuttle that they used to release off the 747. It became the Challenger after major refit.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #38
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Why worry about what country's such as China will do? Who cares.. Let's worry about ourselves and screw the rest of them when it comes to issues such as this..

I'd rather be in a Free Society that didn't even have a space program, than a Communist One that possibly starves its own people and violates their human rights, but is able to make a nice pretty spaceship..

By the way Tasan, I'm not talking to you personally, just venting my feelings. No disrespect to you my friend..

Oh hey no problem. Wasn't mad ;- )

I don't worry about what China does or says, I just think thats how they'll spin it, thats all.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:13 AM   #39
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Oh, and this was something I did not know. The Enterprise was the original test shuttle that they used to release off the 747. It became the Challenger after major refit.

Um, no, the Enterprise is in the Smithsonian. The Challenger was the second full fledged shuttle off the line. The Enterprise was simply a no-engine glide and telemetry test vehicle.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:15 AM   #40
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Tasan
Um, no, the Enterprise is in the Smithsonian. The Challenger was the second full fledged shuttle off the line. The Enterprise was simply a no-engine glide and telemetry test vehicle.

Ok. That is why I had never heard that. It was actually a retrofit of an un-named test shuttle (STA-099 ). I stand corrected.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #41
GrantDawg

Quote:
Then in 1978, NASA decided not to convert the Enterprise, the first orbiter created and used for testing, to a functional orbiter. This left Columbia as the only operable space shuttle.
NASA signed a contract with Rockwell International, the primary shuttle manufacturer, on Jan. 29, 1979 to modify STA-099 into a space-rated orbiter. It was an easier task than if they had decided to modify Enterprise, but it still required major disassembly. STA-099 had been created with a simulated crew module that had to be replaced, which required separating the forward fuselage halves.

It was the second shuttle finished but it was a retro-fit.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-01-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:20 AM   #42
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Commerical??? How? You think a company would make things any safer? Commerical will actually lead to more disasters, NASA barely runs now, hows a company going to keep afloat.

We won't get passed by China, they barely have a program, they are just sending up manned missions...How many people actually have followed NASA recently, probably not many. There has been no incentive to continue on in space missions unless it was for satelite purposes. I'm not saying we should give up, but many people will question what we are doing.

I never said it would make flight any safer, but we have an aging fleet of ships that need replaced. Those are facts. Its also a fact that people are unwilling to pay for space flight through taxes. NASA is barely afloat right now. Our aerospace industry could work together to fund a space program.

You are right, most people dont follow NASA. I think this is mainly because what they do is so disconnected. People want to explore the stars, but you have to take baby steps to get there.

I do believe there is many incentives to continue with the space program. The first one being that Planet Earth only has finite resources that are critical to our survival. We have a whole universe out there for the taking!

Old 02-01-2003, 11:24 AM   #43
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:

Yeah, 'cause lord knows there are no fatal accidents in commercial transportation.

Terrible, terrible news.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:29 AM   #44
ratpfink
n00b

I'm not sure how profitable space missions would be for any commercial enterprise. I'm also under the impression that the aerospace industry isn't very healthy now, although I could be wrong.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:30 AM   #45
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

I meant after the Challenger blew up, what shuttle went up after the Challenger disaster...apologies...
Old 02-01-2003, 11:33 AM   #46
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I never said it would make flight any safer, but we have an aging fleet of ships that need replaced. Those are facts. Its also a fact that people are unwilling to pay for space flight through taxes. NASA is barely afloat right now. Our aerospace industry could work together to fund a space program.

You are right, most people dont follow NASA. I think this is mainly because what they do is so disconnected. People want to explore the stars, but you have to take baby steps to get there.

I do believe there is many incentives to continue with the space program. The first one being that Planet Earth only has finite resources that are critical to our survival. We have a whole universe out there for the taking!

Our new Manifest Destiny I take it...

Commercial airlines are in trouble now, could you imagine what a shuttle airline would be like now after 9/11...there is a reason space transportation is being held only to governments...we barely have our airlines afloat, our trains are bankrupt, cruise ships are just for tourist traps...the cost of getting something like shuttle transport underway is way too expensive as of now...
Old 02-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #47
duckman
Pro Starter

God bless the families of the crew of the Columbia and they are in my prayers.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:53 AM   #48
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I meant after the Challenger blew up, what shuttle went up after the Challenger disaster...apologies...

Discovery
Old 02-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #49
Ryan S
Quarterback

Re: Space Shuttle Columbia

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277

It can not be the end as we know it.

There are still astronauts in the International Space Station, and their missions will not be longer than a few months, so it would not suprise me too much if there is no pause in shuttle launches. There is no way you can ask another country to send up extra missions or carry extra passengers on their mission with such short notice.

Last edited by Ryan S : 02-01-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:27 PM   #50
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

In one of the footages it shows the top door breaking off and then explosions from heat so I assume that it is from structural failure ...but enough of that Let us pray for the safety of the family on a very hard day for them .