Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Flying Overseas

Anyone have any recommendations about airlines for flying overseas? I am needing to go to Osaka, Japan in July and have never flown across the ocean. I was wondering if anyone preferred certain airlines over others for this kind of trip. At the moment, my choices include Northwest, Asiana, Air Canada, Delta and Japan Airlines.

Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
chesapeake
College Starter

I've flown JAL, Korean Airlines, and Northwest to/from Eastern Asia. I'd rate them in that order.

If there is any way you can score business class tickets, I'd highly recommend that. On flights that long, the extra space is almost worth trading in your first-born.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
StLee
High School Varsity

I flew Delta from Chicago, IL, to Tokyo, Japan. As a 5'8" man, I found the leg space rather small. I had to get up often to stretch out my legs. That was one flight where I sure wish I had an aisle seat. Also, the movie selection was just bad. I don't remember exactly what was playing, but it seemed like the same four crappy movies kept looping. MP3 batteries last only so long on those long flights. The trade off is that I didn't pay a penny for the flight, so I can't complain too much.

Therefore, if you're my height or taller, I don't recommend Delta.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've flown Air Canada several times to Europe and was pleased with the flight experience. As a veteran of several dozen overseas flights, I too echo the sentiment that if all possible, get out of coach and into business class.

edit: if Frequent Flyer miles are a concern, look for an airline that partners with your usual airline choice. You can use your current miles to try and upgrade on the partner airline.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-29-2008 at 10:19 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Sgran
High School Varsity

1. Don't drink alcohol. I find that I adjust much better once I arrive. Getting used to the new time zone will be your biggest headache. Try to get on the schedule as soon as possible by sleeping when you're supposed to, and I find staying sober helps in this area.
2. Keep reminding yourself that you get there when you get there. Fight the urge to keep track of time. Just settle in and try to enjoy yourself. I like to stretch out before I board. I know you don't want to look like a fool, but you can be subtle about it.
3. Bring a bunch of page turners. Save up some sports magazines. Don't expect to get a lot of work done.
4. Although it's nice to have the window seat, the isle seat counts for a lot once you're in the air. There's nothing worse that having to wake up your neighbor to get to the john, and you can steal legroom in the isle.
5. Try to pick an airline that has a movie database. I flew KLM to Kazakhstan and the time flew past because I could choose what to watch from a large library. I watched 300, the Fantastic 4 (god, that was awful, but somehow watchable on a plane) and the Simpsons movie. On another trip to Kazakhstan with a budget airline, I was forced to watch the Game Plan, both fucking ways!

Are you flying with kids?

Last edited by Sgran : 05-29-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

I second the if it all possible, get a business class ticket crowd. Alternatively, you may be able to get an economy plus ticket that will at least give you some extra leg room. Although your butt will still go numb.

Personally, I would take nearly any carrier from any developed country ahead of any US carrier, all of which are terrible in general and especially terrible on long flights in coach.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote