Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up Bought me a new PC

All it took is for my wife to say, "Just buy it".

I've had this Dell 4500 desktop pc for just about 4 years now and have had great luck with it. I'm not big on their laptop's (at least the "D" series), but I recommend their desktop pc's all the time to people.

Bought an E520 series with a Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz pentium processor. I absolutely cannot wait to run some of these text sims (ootp 6.5) and other games that are just "so-so" on my current pc as far as speed goes.

Being able to run many applications at a time will be great. I also got a free Windows Vista upgrade with the pc.

The good thing is, the kids will now get mine and I'll give theirs to my wife's parents.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Nice. My wife bought me this for Christmas:

Need a laptop that does it all? Check out the multitude of things you can do on the Pavilion dv9060us: watch movies, listen to music, work, play games, edit photos, have webcam conversations. And it's all wrapped in HP's beautiful black Imprint design.

•Enjoy a user-friendly interface and stable system with genuine Windows XP Media Center
•Get excellent performance from Intel's Centrino Duo mobile technology, which features a 1.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500, 2MB of L2 cache, and 667MHz of front side bus
•See everything clearly on the 17" BrightView WXGA high-definition widescreen
•Organize photos and video clips plus edit, print, share, and store with HP's exclusive Photosmart Premier software
•Download your favorite songs from AOL Music, then put together playlists for commuting, parties, and work
•Watch high-definition DVD movies on the DVD-ROM drive with double-layer SuperMulti DVD±R/RW
•Boot the boot-up: Start movies and music fast with HP's convenient QuickPlay feature
•Make DVDs and edit them with the muvee autoProducer software
•Store more music, photos, and videos on the 240GB (5400 rpm) SATA hard drive (dual 120GB hard drives)
•Run several applications at once with the 2048MB DDR2 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
•Enhance your multimedia with the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 graphics (256MB discrete DDR)
•Share files with thumb drives, iPAQs, and cameras via the integrated 5-in-1 digital media card reader1
•Connect wirelessly 2 with the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection
•Surf the Web with the integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN modem
•Get plenty of battery life with the eight-cell Lithium-Ion battery
•Guard against viruses, spam, and spyware with the preinstalled Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006 (60-day trial, after which you must update the subscription)
•Be ready for the next generation of faster, lighter security, storage, wireless, and networking PC Card expansion products with the ExpressCard/54 slot—data transfer rates are slated to jump from 10 Mbps to 500 Mbps

Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

New computers are one of the best things in the world. I needed something, anything, back in November and bought a cheap $400 Compaq laptop. Works just fine, although I won't be able to upgrade to anything above Vista Home Basic.

The plan though is to get 'THE COMPUTER' towards the end of the year. Something that meets all my needs. HP is putting out some real nice laptops and I will probably look there first.

Enjoy the computers guys.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You're not kidding Cringer! Can't wait to see that puppy arrive in a week or two.

The only bad thing is getting all of my data from this pc over to my new pc and install all my software and games again.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's a nice laptop AE!

I always say, HP's for laptops and Dell for desktops.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

I can't imagine not building my own desktop PC. I hate buying premades from companies like Dell, because if I want to upgrade something like the video card or whatever, I would have to send it in and wait while they do the same thing I could have done in 5 minutes. Of course, that only goes for the pre-mades that have those crappy on-board video and sound cards. Either way, it's just not worth paying more just to have a "name" on the PC.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I can't imagine not building my own desktop PC. I hate buying premades from companies like Dell, because if I want to upgrade something like the video card or whatever, I would have to send it in and wait while they do the same thing I could have done in 5 minutes. Of course, that only goes for the pre-mades that have those crappy on-board video and sound cards. Either way, it's just not worth paying more just to have a "name" on the PC.

I've built many pc's, but it's really not THAT much cheaper anymore and a heck of a lot easier to have one outlet to contact if something should go wrong.

As far as upgrading goes, with today's pc, it's a piece of cake. Unless you buy some cheapo no name pc, almost all are easily upgradable. I picked everything I wanted when I ordered my new one from Dell.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've built many pc's, but it's really not THAT much cheaper anymore and a heck of a lot easier to have one outlet to contact if something should go wrong.

As far as upgrading goes, with today's pc, it's a piece of cake. Unless you buy some cheapo no name pc, almost all are easily upgradable. I picked everything I wanted when I ordered my new one from Dell.

Ah, ok. I haven't bought a "name" computer since 1998 (Gateway), and that thing was crap, so I guess it scarred me life.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Ah, ok. I haven't bought a "name" computer since 1998 (Gateway), and that thing was crap, so I guess it scarred me life.

I felt your pain as soon as you mentioned, "Gateway".
Old 01-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I've had this Dell 4500 desktop pc for just about 4 years now and have had great luck with it. I'm not big on their laptop's (at least the "D" series), but I recommend their desktop pc's all the time to people.

Bought an E520 series with a Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz pentium processor. I absolutely cannot wait to run some of these text sims (ootp 6.5) and other games that are just "so-so" on my current pc as far as speed goes.
I've got the itch also to buy a new desktop but can't quite justify it right now. Congrats on your purchase ... I'm eagerly awaiting Vista (and Service Pack 1) before getting any new hardware.

My last desktop was a Dell 4700 (probably 3 yrs ago), unfortunately my wife won't say "just buy it" as we have a couple other functional desktops and one relatively new Thinkpad in the house.

Please do write up your impressions on your new E520. How much RAM and what graphics card did you get?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I felt your pain as soon as you mentioned, "Gateway".
At one time Gateway 2000 and Dell were the both mainstay, quality mail order desktop companies. I remember eagerly reading PC Magazine rankings and comparison of their latest machines.

Funny how Gateway just fell apart in the mid-late 90s.

When I ordered my first Gateway desktop, I had to pick it up at the local UPS depot. I remember giving them my slip and the lady yelled to the back storeroom about "get that cow box".
Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I've got the itch also to buy a new desktop but can't quite justify it right now. Congrats on your purchase ... I'm eagerly awaiting Vista (and Service Pack 1) before getting any new hardware.

My last desktop was a Dell 4700 (probably 3 yrs ago), unfortunately my wife won't say "just buy it" as we have a couple other functional desktops and one relatively new Thinkpad in the house.

Please do write up your impressions on your new E520. How much RAM and what graphics card did you get?

Here's the jest of the system:

Quote:
DIM E520,Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz,1066FSB) with 2MB cache
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Dell USB KEYBOARD
Dell USB 2-button mouse
Video ready w/o Monitor, DIM Pentium D, Core 2 Duo
256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache
160GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
No Floppy Drive Requested
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English without Media, for Dimension
Windows Media Player 10
Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
Backup media for XP Media Center,Dimension E520
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
No modem requested for Dell Dimension
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0
48X Combo Drive
Sonic Cineplayer
Roxio Creator Basic
Integrated Audio
Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
Norton Internet Security 2006 90 Day Trial,OEM
MS Works 8.5 Plus Office Trial
1 Year Limited Warranty
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year
Warranty Support,Initial Year
You have chosen a Vista Capable System
Express Upgrade to Windows Home Premium, Free plus S and H payable at redemption
Upon receipt of PC, Go to www.dellvistaupgrade.com to redeemVista upgrade by 03/31/2007
You have chosen a Vista Capable System

I have an Xbox 360, so I only did the first step up on the video card as I don't really play many graphical games on my pc. I also downgraded my HD from a 320 Gig to a 160 Gig as I have an 80 Gig in my pc now and still have like 50 Gig free + I have a 40 Gig secondary HD for backing up data.

I mainly wanted something that's fast for multiple applications running at a time and something that will fly when playing a deep statistical text sim. I think this will do.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-13-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Ardent how much did that laptop cost? I am looking for one for graduate school
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 AM   #14
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Dell's laptop? I'm asking because I'm seriously considering one of the refurbished laptop from their outlet.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Dell's laptop? I'm asking because I'm seriously considering one of the refurbished laptop from their outlet.

I've owned Dell's Inspiron (home) and worked on Dell Latitudes (business line). Also have worked on the HP nc (business line) and have a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad.

Yes, the prior generation Dell Inspiron and Latitudes sucked. Flimsy cases, hot underneath, heavy. I can't speak to current Dell Inspirons but current Dell Latitudes are the best Dell laptops yet and are on par with the HP and Lenovo/IBM.

I think you will be happy with Dell laptop (call center support may be a different issue). But don't give up on the HP or Lenovo/IBM. There were some really good deals on Thinkpads 4th quarter 2006.

One more thing. I would pass on the outlet laptop bargains. Those are the return ones, wouldn't be surprise if those had a greater % of dead pixels.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Ardent how much did that laptop cost? I am looking for one for graduate school

Somewhere in the range of 2000.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post

The Dell Latitude D400 and D600's are HORRIBLE. I work on them everyday and have seen more bad HD's and system boards than any other laptop series I've ever worked on.

The new Latitude D620's are coming in and so far they seem to me MUCH, MUCH, better built.

I just know from the workplace that we also deploy the HP DV series and everyone has been really happy with them.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #18
Barkeep49
Coordinator

If you're considering a laptop I would strongly recommend Apple. I use my nearly exclusively in a windows boot and it has been a far better experience than my dealing with Compaq, HP, or Dell laptops. Now granted you're not going to get a super cheap Apple laptop, but with-in it's price range its specs are very competitive.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
If you're considering a laptop I would strongly recommend Apple. I use my nearly exclusively in a windows boot and it has been a far better experience than my dealing with Compaq, HP, or Dell laptops. Now granted you're not going to get a super cheap Apple laptop, but with-in it's price range its specs are very competitive.

This is an Apple-Free thread.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Dell Latitude D400 and D600's are HORRIBLE. I work on them everyday and have seen more bad HD's and system boards than any other laptop series I've ever worked on.

The new Latitude D620's are coming in and so far they seem to me MUCH, MUCH, better built.

I just know from the workplace that we also deploy the HP DV series and everyone has been really happy with them.

I will put it this way.

In 3 years, I am on my 5th Latitude D600. Granted I use my laptop harder than a laptop should be used, but still you can figure it out yourself if I've gone through more than 1 a year if I will recommend it.

The D600 overheats, has a problem with dust blocking the internal fans that require someone knowledgable to take apart the laptop to unblock the air flow once every few months. Even with proper airflow, the location of the hard drive causes the top left corner (where I rest my hand) to be super hot, and the underneathe is almost always really extremely hot.

I've had the heating issues on the D600 become such a problem that I've burnt out many many components on them (likely the reason why you saw many bad HDs and system boards. I just killed another Hard drive the other day from overheating on my D600).

Finally my work has put in an order for a new D620 for me since I am a "power user" so I can give my thoughts on it in a few weeks if anyone is interested. If you do any type of gaming or such, you really don't want the Latitude series though. They aren't really built for that.

I personally have been getting an itch for a new computer, but I don't know where in my place I would put it but I want a new game machine I think
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Compaq?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #22
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

AE get a job as an HP sales rep?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
AE get a job as an HP sales rep?

Nah, I just don't know all the specifics of this thing off the top of my head.

FOF works though.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
Easy Mac

I got a Thinkpad for Christmas. Love the thing. Its a bit older (1.5 ghz, 512 ram, 20gb hd), but what I'm using it for (internet, typing), its perfect. Strangely, my media center PC is stronger than my other desktop. My media PC just got a new AMD dual core processor. Also has an x1800. Meanwhile my gaming PC is stuck on a 2500+ and an x600. Go figure.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

So an outlet Dell Inspiron E1705 may be risky???
Old 01-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post

yes
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Word. They couldn't build an onboard NIC card or PCMCIA slot that wouldn't break to save their life.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I am pretty particular about dead pixels. One red/yellow/green off to the side will distract me and continue to distract me. From reading other notebook forums, I know many people return/exchange their laptops because of this (okay, I returned a Thinkpad because of this also).

I would have no hesitation in buying a desktop from the outlet, but would worry about a notebook or lcd monitor.

Suggest you check out the below Dell specific forum for more info.

http://www.notebookforums.com/forum71.html
Old 01-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #29
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

So if I bought a pc with a warranty from dell outlet I couldn't return it if the screen was messed up? Wouldn't they repair these dead pixels prior to selling ti again?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So if I bought a pc with a warranty from dell outlet I couldn't return it if the screen was messed up? Wouldn't they repair these dead pixels prior to selling ti again?
There is typically a policy of x number of dead pixels before you can return it

There is no repair. If there is one red pixel in the middle, it'll probably stay there forever (some are lucky enough to fix it by massaging or running a program, didn't work for me).

When I returned my Thinkpad, I returned it for the no questions asked 30 day return guarantee ... not because of that (damn) red pixel.

I'm not sure if Dell Outlet has a no questions asked return. Just think there is a higher % of bad pixel in outlet than brand new.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I will put it this way.

In 3 years, I am on my 5th Latitude D600. Granted I use my laptop harder than a laptop should be used, but still you can figure it out yourself if I've gone through more than 1 a year if I will recommend it.

The D600 overheats, has a problem with dust blocking the internal fans that require someone knowledgable to take apart the laptop to unblock the air flow once every few months. Even with proper airflow, the location of the hard drive causes the top left corner (where I rest my hand) to be super hot, and the underneathe is almost always really extremely hot.

I've had the heating issues on the D600 become such a problem that I've burnt out many many components on them (likely the reason why you saw many bad HDs and system boards. I just killed another Hard drive the other day from overheating on my D600).

Finally my work has put in an order for a new D620 for me since I am a "power user" so I can give my thoughts on it in a few weeks if anyone is interested. If you do any type of gaming or such, you really don't want the Latitude series though. They aren't really built for that.

I personally have been getting an itch for a new computer, but I don't know where in my place I would put it but I want a new game machine I think

I think you'll like the 620, but the jury is still out. At least the ones we are getting are dual core, with 1 Gb of Ram. They plastic seems much stronger too, much more solid.

SI - you got that right, PCMCIA slots go bad, NIC goes bad, and the HD's they send us under warranty are refurbished Hitachi Death - I mean Travelstars.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #32
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I disagree. How many choices did Dell give you for the Motherboard? Why did you chose a 2.13GHz CPU and why a low-end graphics card? I have nothing against people buying manufacturer PCs (which I would recommend to 99% of the PC buyers) but I bet my newly built PC runs twice as powerful and cost half as much as your's.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When does Vista actually street date? I want to get another machine, but I was planning on waiting till the new OS is actually available, and running decently. I guess I figure something like mid-summer.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Vista is supposed to street date at the end of January. I'll probably wait a few months to upgrade to hear if there are any major problems.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I disagree. How many choices did Dell give you for the Motherboard? Why did you chose a 2.13GHz CPU and why a low-end graphics card? I have nothing against people buying manufacturer PCs (which I would recommend to 99% of the PC buyers) but I bet my newly built PC runs twice as powerful and cost half as much as your's.

For the motherboard? Only 1 - tell me what I gain from say, a Asus motherboard?

I choose that processor mainly for applications and text sims that do not have graphics. I stated I have an Xbox 360 for those types of games, plus it will be much cheaper getting one on my own if and when I decide to upgrade.

I just built on for my parents and his was about $200 cheaper, BUT I have a faster processor than he does.

You can build one cheaper, that's no secret. Funny thing with me, I like building them for others, but like them assembled when I buy them. Plus it's nice being Dell certified so I can order replacement parts very easily if and when they are needed. Although my last Dell desktop has never had an issue 4 years and running.

I'll be happy to post speed results when I get it... but application only as I don't play many graphical games on my pc.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm up and running!!! Even webpages are loading much faster now.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, Todd. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks! I'm really amazed at how much difference a core duo processor makes. When I click on career leaders in FOF 2k7, it used to take 5 or so seconds, now it comes up instantly.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #39
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Buccaneer,
How do you combat software prices?
Honestly that is my biggest challenge, I built 3 or 4 but my last one was a dell, simply because for the cost of the( I still had ME...yuk!) XP/works/etc. I had covered the cost of their PC...

Now granted it is not, up to snuff technically with a home built. And when I upgrade again (mid summer) I would like to build again, just havent found a cheap software solution. Other than a warez version and well...thats not my style.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #40
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I just bought a new convertible laptop myself, and really love it. Graphics aren't great, but I have a high-end PC for heavy game playing, and this does everything else nicely, plus the tablet functions are really nice. I love the relatively light weight and portability also. I was really impressed with the accessories Asus threw in, a bluetooth mouse, and two different cases, one a sort of sleeve or simple fold-over attache, the other a full case with leather handles, pretty sharp. Of course this, along with pretty much any laptop that is Vista ready, also comes with Microsoft's free Vista upgrade so I'll move up to that when it comes out and when the drivers are finalized.

http://event.asus.com/2006/nb/r1/eng/

Last edited by Peregrine : 01-20-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #41
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I just bought a new convertible laptop myself, and really love it. Graphics aren't great, but I have a high-end PC for heavy game playing, and this does everything else nicely, plus the tablet functions are really nice. I love the relatively light weight and portability also. I was really impressed with the accessories Asus threw in, a bluetooth mouse, and two different cases, one a sort of sleeve or simple fold-over attache, the other a full case with leather handles, pretty sharp. Of course this, along with pretty much any laptop that is Vista ready, also comes with Microsoft's free Vista upgrade so I'll move up to that when it comes out and when the drivers are finalized.

http://event.asus.com/2006/nb/r1/eng/

Nice. Vista has some new little things especially for tablets, enjoy.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just registered for my free copy of Vista as well.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #43
Skolleck
n00b

Quote:
That's a nice laptop AE!

I always say, HP's for laptops and Dell for desktops.

Actually most of HP's and Dell's laptop are built by the same company in China, that would be Quanta in 2004 they made one out of every eight laptops produced in the entire world. I know the goal they had for 2006 was one of every six produced in the world, not sure if they made it. Funny enough you cannot go buy a Quanta "badged" laptop, they are all sold under different company names (Dell, HP, IBM, Gateway, and I think they made one Sony unit).

The one thing that IS different is the internal marketing, quality control and engineer/design teams in Dell and HP. That can make for a big gap if any of those three groups are subpar (or even average for that matter). While tech support can also be a factor in the joy (or misery) of owning a nice PC, if the three internal teams and the OEM manfacturing all do things right, you should not have to use tech support.

Unlike a Automobile company, most PC companies do not make their own parts, so in many cases the differences in brand are in making the items work together as smoothly as possible.

Enjoy the new units!

Scott Kolleck
Skolleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #44
Skolleck
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
At one time Gateway 2000 and Dell were the both mainstay, quality mail order desktop companies. I remember eagerly reading PC Magazine rankings and comparison of their latest machines.

Funny how Gateway just fell apart in the mid-late 90s.

When I ordered my first Gateway desktop, I had to pick it up at the local UPS depot. I remember giving them my slip and the lady yelled to the back storeroom about "get that cow box".

Gateway fell apart due to quality issues and poor business decisions (country stores, move to San Diego, lifetime tech support).

The quality got much better from 2001 until the "purchase" of e-machines in early 2004. But by that point the damage had been done and Gateway was/is a shell of the former company.

Now the company is trying to regain market share and has a long way to go to really compete. They have gotten rid of all the "e-machine" exec's that were brought in bring in a retail sales section and have hired a new CEO, who from what I hear, seems pretty sharp.

I worked for Gateway from 1994 to 2004 and I would still buy a Gateway, if the price was right and after reading the reviews.

Scott Kolleck
Skolleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #45
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Buccaneer,
How do you combat software prices?
Honestly that is my biggest challenge, I built 3 or 4 but my last one was a dell, simply because for the cost of the( I still had ME...yuk!) XP/works/etc. I had covered the cost of their PC...

Now granted it is not, up to snuff technically with a home built. And when I upgrade again (mid summer) I would like to build again, just havent found a cheap software solution. Other than a warez version and well...thats not my style.

CU, in the machines that I build, they are replacements and then become hand-me-downs to the boys. Up until Windows Activation, every licensed software transfered. With XP (not counting the software that had to be upgraded), the only one I had to be careful on was XP itself. I have three licenses and three PCs but my latest build-from-scratch would have been a bit of a hassle to use an old activation code so I went OEM to save time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #46
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I just bought a refurbished:

Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB) Genuine Windows XP Pro
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Notebook Screen

for $1,181.73 including upgrade to 2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr OnSite Service and 2Yr HW Warranty Support

is this a good deal?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #47
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Woo hoo. My wife pretty much said "Just buy it". So with the Rebate Check I just placed an order with the below configuration for $719 + tax = $769.35.

I did decide to go with the latest gen Quad core because my wife does graphics design and it gives me a little future proofing. I'll be inheriting her Dimension 4600. So our household count is now is Dell 4600, 4700, SC420, 530 and IBM T60.

Going to add another 2GB RAM for approx $40. A cheap Graphics Card for $70-$80 (in no hurry, wait for a good sale on 8600 GTS hopefully). I ordered it with a 22inch instead of 19inch because even though my wife will need to buy a new lcd to her preference (ex. colors on the Dell lcd is pretty bad from what she tells me), I figured the 22inch will be good for me for a very long time.

Quote:
1 223-6222 Intel Core2 processor Q9300 (2.50Ghz,1333FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 6MB cache
1 311-7239 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
1 310-8647 Dell USB 4 Button Premium Optical Mouse with Scroll
1 310-9611 Dell USB Keyboard
1 320-5490 22 in (22 in viewable) E228WFPWide Aspect Digital Flat Panel
1 320-5878 Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
1 341-4809 250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
1 341-5517 Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
1 420-6540 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English
1 420-5769 Internet Search and Portal
1 420-5924 Icon Consolidation Application
1 463-2282 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
1 420-6436 Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
1 313-5582 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
1 420-7622 DELL SUPPORT CENTER 2.0
1 310-1966 Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
1 430-0412 Integrated NIC card
1 313-3137 No modem requested for Dell Dimension
1 420-7468 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP
1 313-5270 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
1 420-8152 Roxio Creator 10 Dell Edition
1 313-2758 Integrated Audio
1 313-2198 No Speaker Requested
1 461-8389 No Virus Protection Requested
1 420-8085 Microsoft Works 9.0, English
1 987-3137 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
1 982-4310 Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year
1 987-6238 No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
1 960-3249 Banctec Service Agreement
1 983-3680 Warranty Support,Initial Year
1 990-8029 1 Year Limited Warranty and Next Business Day,Desktop
1 464-9572 No Entertainment software pre-installed
1 310-8626 You have chosen a Windows Vista Premium System
1 420-7091 DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS
1 420-7092 DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS 1YR-FREE
1 987-4817 Insp Datasafe 3GB,1YR(Incl in price),DHS
1 988-0099 To activate your online backupaccount, go to Start, Programs, DataSafe Online

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-24-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice!

Up the memory to 4 GB for your first upgrade.

Edit: see you are already planning that.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-24-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #49
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nice!

Up the memory to 4 GB for your first upgrade.

Edit: see you are already planning that.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archiv...m-problem.aspx

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #50
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Yes, I knew about the memory limitation.
  • I believe my DDR2 requires them in pairs and the additional 2GB is relatively cheap. I know 4GB is the max RAM for my Dell 530 motherboard, always hated upgrading RAM (ex. in 2 years time, looking for the best deal from Frys, CC, BB etc).
  • Supposedly other hardware may use the memory above 3GB.
  • Also, one of these days 64bit OS may become common. Not counting on it anytime soon but I remember how painful it was to go from 16 to 32, I can only imagine 32 to 64.

Can't wait for it to come and check it out. I don't have any intense computer games but will run through the benchmarks.

If there is anyone on this board that is a computer graphic artist and can (1) recommend a good lcd and/or (2) give hints on how to calibrate a Dell lcd, I would appreciate it.