Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Tenants Rights?

I just found out yesterday that my building is in need of major boiler repairs. I live on the first floor and was told that they will need to displace me in order to do the work needed to this floor. I have been told three different stories so far.

The super told me that they would move me to an apartment on the 6th floor that I checked out from the street. It faces the ass-end of another building. He didn't know how long I would be there.

The building manager said today that they would move me to an apartment that I would love. From the street, it appears to be a corner apartment with multiple windows and a halfway decent view (for the Bronx.) He met my concerns regarding having to move my utilities there by telling me they would have me there for quite a while.

Now the landlady, who I had never even met before today lays on me that I wouldn't really need to move out, just sleep in another apartment and leave when they would be there to tear it apart (LOL!)

Anyone have any experience in this area? I would love to just take a nicer apartment (like the corner one) for the same rent, trade my current lease for that one & stay there. I'm tired of this apartment anyway. My bedroom and kitchen are windowless. I get very little air in here from the two small windows that open, and not much light as it is. I also have no privacy if I open the blinds, as the building pulled the bushes out that at lease blocked direct view from the sidewalk.

The best info I have found online is loosely related, but for a much longer move that the landlord was really trying to clean out the building of rent controlled tenants:

Quote:
If you were to relocate it will likely be as a favor to the LL, you should demand equal sized accommodations/equal services, very possibly paying ZERO rent for the term of your relocation (you have no lease/contract to pay rent on a different apartment other than the one you currently have a lease for...and without a binding contract, the LL cannot force you to pay rent on another unit...if you cannot dwell in your unit you are 'constructively evicted' and should not have to pay any rent). Were you to relocate, the LL should be picking up the tab for ANY AND ALL moving and storage expenses, in both directions, including a professional insured and bonded moving company to both pack (or compensate you for time off work to pack) and move your possessions in both directions, relocation of any cable/phone lines, etc....all this in writing and drafted by your attorney. The LL should also be paying your attorney fees for drafting the agreement and this term should be noted in the agreement itself. Remember, a relocation is most likely an accommodation to the LL and is not mandatory, and he should thus be covering ALL your expenses and also compensating you for any inconvenience. A Relocation Agreement protects your rights: your rent from being increased upon return, that you have the same size apartment upon return without detrimental alterations, it should fix a precise move-back date with DIRE monetary consequences if the agreement is violated by the LL.

This is all adding to my wanting to just move back to Detroit, which if I found a decent job I probably would do anyway.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

The super told me that they would move me to an apartment on the 6th floor that I checked out from the street. It faces the ass-end of another building. He didn't know how long I would be there.

The building manager said today that they would move me to an apartment that I would love. From the street, it appears to be a corner apartment with multiple windows and a halfway decent view (for the Bronx.) He met my concerns regarding having to move my utilities there by telling me they would have me there for quite a while.

Sorry but I have no knowledge here unless it is foreclosure related. Still I had to post because I am wondering why you like to view apartments from the street? There is a way up to them is there not?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Sorry but I have no knowledge here unless it is foreclosure related. Still I had to post because I am wondering why you like to view apartments from the street? There is a way up to them is there not?

I didn't have the time during the day and I didn't want to bother the super at 11pm.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to look at them from the inside!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I was hoping there was a reasonable answer. On this board, eh, you never know what wacky reason someone might have.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I was hoping there was a reasonable answer. On this board, eh, you never know what wacky reason someone might have.

When I went to see where the apartment was located, I found the door ajar. I may be crazy enough to be standing on the street looking at the 6th floor, but I'm not stupid enough to enter a vacant, unlocked Bronx apartment at night without permission!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

There are probably non-for-profit tenant groups that you could find in the city. I know there is one in DC. That could at least give you a rough idea.

I will assume that you've already done the standard google search(es).

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The only thing I know is that renters laws tend to heavily favor the tenant (at least in Illinois), so definitely do your homework on this.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-17-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
This is all adding to my wanting to just move back to Detroit, which if I found a decent job I probably would do anyway.

Heh, not sure the city of Detroit has heard THIS statement in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm no lawyer so, just take my comments as my thought/opinions. I would think your lease states that you are renting Apt 101, 123 Main St USA rather than just some opened ended statement that the landlord will give you a place to live somewhere at 123 Main Street. So, if they need you to vacate they are breaking the lease.

If they want you out, it should be to an apartment that you want for the same rent and have them give you 1 month free for the inconvenience of moving. Them assigning you a place to live would be horseshit.

Whatever you decide to do or they say they are going to do - GET IT IN WRITING!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm no lawyer so, just take my comments as my thought/opinions. I would think your lease states that you are renting Apt 101, 123 Main St USA rather than just some opened ended statement that the landlord will give you a place to live somewhere at 123 Main Street. So, if they need you to vacate they are breaking the lease.

If they want you out, it should be to an apartment that you want for the same rent and have them give you 1 month free for the inconvenience of moving. Them assigning you a place to live would be horseshit.

Whatever you decide to do or they say they are going to do - GET IT IN WRITING!

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

One thing I do know, Tenant Laws in NYC and NY favor the Tenant heavily. I have a friend who owns a duplex in NYC and his tenant hasn't paid rent for going on 6 months, and she keeps running the oil bill through the roof (Thermostat on at like 75 and all the windows open in the house). He has been to court several times to get her evicted but she knows the rules and each time they go back, she says something else that extends her stay.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
One thing I do know, Tenant Laws in NYC and NY favor the Tenant heavily. I have a friend who owns a duplex in NYC and his tenant hasn't paid rent for going on 6 months, and she keeps running the oil bill through the roof (Thermostat on at like 75 and all the windows open in the house). He has been to court several times to get her evicted but she knows the rules and each time they go back, she says something else that extends her stay.

As soon as she leaves the apartment changes the locks, post a legal notice that states until back rent and fuel are paid the apartment is officially closed for repairs.

Let her fight through the courts to get IN.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
As soon as she leaves the apartment changes the locks, post a legal notice that states until back rent and fuel are paid the apartment is officially closed for repairs.

Let her fight through the courts to get IN.

In NYC the landlord is responsible for heat.

I saw the apartment. I want it. (If I stay in NYC that is. I'm not happy with my job & just applied for one in Detroit today.)
Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

what a doucher.

Hopefully he can eventually win that one, and scatter her shit on the curb.

It's one thing to not be able to pay, it's another to run the bills up in spite.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote