Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Sleepwalking

So at 2 a.m. today I'm downstairs reading when my wife comes down from the bedroom and tells me that I need to get our son out of our bed. I'm thinking she's talking about either James, the four-year old, or Andrew, the eight-year old.

No, she's talking about my eighteen-year old stepson, who had apparently sleepwalked into his bathroom, and then into our room.. and into our bed.

Oh yeah, have I mentioned he was naked?

So I go upstairs and tell him he needs to go to his room. He sits up in my bed and yells "I feel like I'm going to throw up and all anyone ever cares about is who's bed I'm sleeping in!" A few more random phrases and I realize that he's sleepwalking, not out of his gourd on drugs. I tell him I'm going to leave the room (since he's naked) and he needs to go back to his room. My wife and I are at the foot of the stairs when he walks by a few seconds later, clad in a towel. He gave us the dirtiest look like he couldn't understand why we were kicking him out of our bed.

And of course this morning he doesn't remember a single thing.

Anybody else have good sleepwalking stories?

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't have any good sleepwalking sotries for you, Cam, but I do have a future birthday/Christmas present idea for your 18 year old son:

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

LOL, he has plenty of those. I'm not sure if they were lost in the bathroom or if he's decided he needs to sleep commando. Either way... he's sleeping with pants on from here on out.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Reminds of the sleepwalking brothers in Step Brothers.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I always remember a story my dad told me.

We had really good family friends living across the street. I was best friends with the kid there, and he had a little brother, this chubby little redhead.

So one day, many years ago, my dad is walking to the bus station. He gets four or five blocks away, and see's my friend's brother, who was five or six at the time, trotting down the street alone in just his underwear, completely oblivious to his surroundings. My dad brought him home and found out from the parents that he had a huge sleepwalking problem. Turned out he walked out of bed at 5 in the morning, walked down the stairs, opened the door, and decided to go for a walk.

Kinda scary, but funny.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I had a friend stay over at my place about a month ago. Since my son was at his mothers, I let my friend use his bed. The next morning I went into my son’s room and noticed his blanket was missing. My sons blanket is big and blue with baseballs and team logos stitched on. I always make my sons bed, so it not being there when I went in the room was very shocking.
I asked my friend where the blanket was and he had no idea. I asked him if he remembered it being on the bed, and he said yes. Long story short, he is a sleep walker. A month later and a great search concluded that during a sleep walk, he walked off somewhere and left the blanket outside. Or he pissed the bed and destroyed the evidence.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I always remember a story my dad told me.

We had really good family friends living across the street. I was best friends with the kid there, and he had a little brother, this chubby little redhead.

So one day, many years ago, my dad is walking to the bus station. He gets four or five blocks away, and see's my friend's brother, who was five or six at the time, trotting down the street alone in just his underwear, completely oblivious to his surroundings. My dad brought him home and found out from the parents that he had a huge sleepwalking problem. Turned out he walked out of bed at 5 in the morning, walked down the stairs, opened the door, and decided to go for a walk.

Kinda scary, but funny.

Sad thing is that in this era, your dad probably would have been arrested for showing up at the door with a 6 year old in his underwear.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I used to sleepwalk a bit as a kid, especially if I had drank a bunch of cola before bed. Generally I'd get up having to go to the bathroom, but my mind wouldn't be functioning. Once at the lake we had some family friends out, and all us kids were sleeping outside in a tent. I 'woke up' in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom, but apparently couldn't figure out how to get out of the tent (I can't remember any of this). After a few seconds of fumbling around the tent I started panicking, and began to scream and scream. The mother of our friends ran out of the house and was approaching the tent just as my brother managed to get the door open for me. From what I've been told, I screamed out "BEAR!!", shoved her to the ground, and sprinted off into the woods. They chased after me and found me peeing on a tree, after which they said I was much calmer and allowed them to lead me back to the tent to go back to sleep.

Good times!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
tarcone
Coordinator

I had a friend who was a sleepwalker. He would cook in his sleep. And that entailed driving to the convenience store for food (yes he did that once). When we were living in another friends house he was cooking and burning food at 4 am. House stunk for a month after that.
When he was married he cooked a big breakfast for his wife, in the middle of the night. It was on the table when they woke up the next morning.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My other good sleepwalking story was about a year later, again after too much cola and some friends out at the lake. This time the group of us slept in the boat, and again, I 'woke up' in the middle of the night needing to go to the washroom. I couldn't figure out how to get off the boat, and apparently wouldn't listen to my brother who was telling me to just go over the side. Yet again I began to panic and scream, which carries nicely over open water. My father came running from the house this time, in just his underwear. Better yet, I woke up people in most of the nearby cottages, so as my dad helped me out of the boat, neighbors started to shuffle out to shine lights on him in his underpants.

Good times!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I was a frequent sleepwalker when I was younger, mostly to go to the bathroom. My father had the task of making sure I was aimed at the toilet properly. On one sleepwalking occasion (I was around 3), I put up a big struggle with him and finally he was like, "Fine, do it yourself then." I proceed to take another step directly into the toilet. I also had a time where I sprayed their walls with urine. He was a good sport with it and I never remembered any occasions of sleepwalking. He used to ask me if I knew my brothers' names and other stuff (one time I answered with a D&D unique's name).

A friend of mine told me a great story about a sleepwalking experience his mother had where she bolted out of bed, grabbed the toaster, and ran outside, and delivered a great line to her husband when he caught up with her, but I can't remember the line.

This is a little different but...in the first years of going out with my wife, I would occasionally attack her sexually while I was still asleep. If she didn't push me away, I would eventually wake up in the middle of things not knowing how we got there (but not complaining mind you).

Since our daughter was born I seem to have outgrown my subconscious taking care of things for the most part, although I did have a moment I didn't remember last night. I fell asleep while my wife was watching tv and put a pillow over my head to keep the light out of my eyes. I grabbed it off my head and put it under. She wanted the pillow back, but I just gave her a big grin and went 'back' to sleep.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Up past my bedtime watching tv in the living room, I was scared to death when I heard my mom's bedroom door open up. My mom was an assistant manager at Hardee's back then and valued her sleep. Me having the tv could and had been a hinderance to that in the past.

Into the living room she storms...but past me and into the kitchen. I can now hear water in the sink. I shut off the tv before she got back to me.

"Where's your brother?"

"Um, asleep?"

"Well, he's supposed to be on drive-thru. He's supposed to HAVE THE COFFEE MADE ALREADY," she almost yells as if to emphasize the point to my sleeping brother.

Back to the kitchen she goes. The water shuts off. I hear the coffeemaker start to run. The refrigerator door opens and shuts. She returns to the living room.

"Is the frontline ready?"

"I'm ready to go, mom," I mean, who am I to argue at this point?

"Good, when your brother gets here, let him know he's going to have to stay late."

Back to bed she goes. I turn off the coffeemaker, giggle about what happened, and go to bed.

No since getting stuck on drive-thru if my brother wasn't going to show up.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

My 8 year old son has done it a few times now. One time, he walked into the living room around 10pm and started pulling his pants down to take a piss. My wife was not aware I could move that fast, and I rushed him to the bathroom before he could whiz on the carpet. Another time, he went to the bathroom, then went into the living room and fell asleep on the couch (me and my wife were in the office at the time and she discovered him upon returning to the living room). I had to carry him to his room because he wouldn't wake up.

Good times....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
No since getting stuck on drive-thru if my brother wasn't going to show up.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

...and thus the Zombie Apocolype slowly begins...
Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't have any good sleepwalking sotries for you, Cam, but I do have a future birthday/Christmas present idea for your 18 year old son:

Uh yeah, my 14 year old needs those too. My wife was trying to get him up and sometimes he just refuses. She goes back in there and he's sleeping with his butt (bare assed) sticking up like a little kid. She just screamed.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

My folks have told me that a few years ago, when I was over at their house for some reason, I sleep walked into their room and walked into their closet. My mom's a light sleeper and woke up, and apparently had a conversation with me. She said that I told her I needed to go to the bathroom and that she should leave me alone. I have no idea why I'd try to go in their bathroom, but this is just too weird for my folks to make up.

In the end, she and my dad apparently convinced me to go back to "my bed" (my bed in that house is long gone, when I'm there and my sister's not, I sleep in her room; when she's there, I couch crash). Very odd.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Sadly I have quite a few. I would sleepwalk when I was a kid fairly routinely. My grandmother used to love telling the story of how I woke her up one night and insisted that she get my uncles to play "catchup" with me. I apparently was quite upset that they wouldn't play with me. No, I have no idea what "catchup" is.

My sleepwalking was usually pretty harmless. I never hurt myself. My family would sometimes find me sitting in a chair or standing in a closet seemingly awake but actually asleep. I went out and laid down in the yard once. A couple of times I took a leak in the closet but that was it.

My favorite story is from college. I woke up one morning with a vague feeling that I had a dream that night. In the dream, I had become famous for some reason and needed to practice writing my autograph. I didn't think anything of it. A few days later, I'm cleaning my dorm room and I found a legal pad. It was full of 50 pages of me writing my name over and over again -- typically about 25 times per page. Sometimes with my full name, sometimes shortened versions of my name. Some were just squiggles. I wrote my name over a 1,000 times. That must have taken me hours and while I had a vague recollection of it being a dream, I have no memory of it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #19
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My 5 year old son sleep walks. He often ends up either in our bed, or more recently, next to out bed on one of those little stuffed fold out chairs. One night he made it to the couch and slept.

About 2 weeks ago I was up with insomnia as usual and he comes downstairs, lays on the couch and goes to sleep. I get him up to get him back to his bed...he wakes up and proceeds to sing the chorus to Weird Al's Eat It (which his grandfather had taught him earlier in the week). Talk about surreal. Of course, he remembers nothing about it but laughed when I told him what song he was singing.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
My 8 year old son has done it a few times now. One time, he walked into the living room around 10pm and started pulling his pants down to take a piss.

Segues perfectly to my favorite (almost) sleepwalking story, involving a friend of mine at about that same age, as told by his mother to my mother.

-- He falls asleep on the couch watching TV
-- He gets woken up & told to go to bed
-- He's reminded to go to the bathroom before going to bed.

Up through that point, nothing out of the ordinary.

He stumbles sleepily out of the room, stops at the rocking chair in the corner, lifts the cushion and relieves himself. Puts the cushion back in place & heads off to bed.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Mike Birbiglia "Sleepwalk With Me" he told his story on NPR. Fantastic stuff from a really funny guy.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Mike Birbiglia "Sleepwalk With Me" he told his story on NPR. Fantastic stuff from a really funny guy.

Was just going to post the This American Life link.

Fear of Sleep

One of the segments is Mike Birbiglia's story about how he almost died from a sleepwalking incident after ignoring the problem he'd had.

Also, his most recent appearance on The Sound of Young America where he talked about Sleepwalk With Me.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-09-2009 at 11:21 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

A friend was staying over at my place one night. We had been drinking that evening. I only tell you this to let you draw your own conclusions. Anyway, there are a few of us crashing at my place. One of the guys gets up, walks over to the entertainment center and proceeds to put his penis in the VCR. Strange times.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #24
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I don't really have any sleepwalking stories per se, but I've got plenty of stories about one of my former coworkers on midnight shift who got whacked out of his gourd while taking Ambien and did all kinds of weird stuff - pretty similar, really. He did everything from wreck his car while "sleep driving" to telling us how he "woke up" sitting at his computer, apparently after sending out bunches of gibberish emails to friends and family.

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I sleepwalked into a doorframe and cut my gum up pretty bad when i fell to the floor one time.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #26
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I was a frequent sleepwalker when I was younger, mostly to go to the bathroom. My father had the task of making sure I was aimed at the toilet properly.

My four year old son does this like clockwork every night - it will be around 12:30 or 1 in the morning (I'm almost always up late to code) and he'll come out of his room and just stand in the doorway to my office - which is next to his room. I'll ask him if he has to go potty and he just kind of nods his head. He stumbles into the bathroom, I make sure he's aimed and then he heads back towards bed. Most times he'll make it to the bed and be right back asleep but sometimes he'll plop down on his little fold out couch or once in a while he even just crashes on the floor - apparently those last few inches are just too far to go.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
My four year old son does this like clockwork every night - it will be around 12:30 or 1 in the morning (I'm almost always up late to code) and he'll come out of his room and just stand in the doorway to my office - which is next to his room. I'll ask him if he has to go potty and he just kind of nods his head. He stumbles into the bathroom, I make sure he's aimed and then he heads back towards bed. Most times he'll make it to the bed and be right back asleep but sometimes he'll plop down on his little fold out couch or once in a while he even just crashes on the floor - apparently those last few inches are just too far to go.

Yeah, those last few inches really are difficult. My son ran out of his room one night and barfed all over the floor....only a few inches from the bathroom.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #28
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I had move back into my mom's place & was in the basement one night watching tv. I hear my sister yell my name, like someone is breaking in or something. I run up the stairs, throw the door open to her room and find everything fine. She's breathing heavy, like she had been running.

Me: What?

Sis: It's all her fault.

Me: What is?

Sis: It's all HER FAULT!

Me: Who's fault?

Sis:THERESA! (her best friend)

Me: What's her fault?

Sis: (Pants several times like she is really pissed.) SHE TOOK MY ICE CREAM CONE!!!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #29
ArlingtonColt
H.S. Freshman Team

I have done some sleep talking in the past... One of my now ex-wife's stories of my talking goes like this.

Me: giggle giggle....
EX: Stephen?
Me: STOP ALL PRODUCTION... giggle giggle giggle...
EX: What...? Production.....????
Me: JUST MAKE BOMBS!!!!
EX: Bombs..??
Me: To kill those dirty japs.... giggle giggle...

I must have been a war general in WW 2 or something, lol I really have no idea...

Also, one of my friends growing up had about 5 or 6 of us sleeping over for a birthday slumber party. Anyways at around 4 in the morning his mother walks naked through the hallway and into his bathroom (they had their own in their room) Well she uses the restroom and then goes and gets into bed naked with one of our friends passed out in her sons bed.... talk about an awkward situation... lol

Last edited by ArlingtonColt : 06-11-2009 at 01:43 AM.
ArlingtonColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #30
SegRat
High School Varsity

A local guy sleep drove then sleep walked into the river and drowned to death.

Family says sleep drug led to man's disappearance and death | fdlreporter.com | Fond du Lac Reporter
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #31
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
A local guy sleep drove then sleep walked into the river and drowned to death.

Family says sleep drug led to man's disappearance and death | fdlreporter.com | Fond du Lac Reporter

...it's frustrating to be the only person who recognizes that the zombie apololyse has already begun...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #32
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonColt View Post
Also, one of my friends growing up had about 5 or 6 of us sleeping over for a birthday slumber party. Anyways at around 4 in the morning his mother walks naked through the hallway and into his bathroom (they had their own in their room) Well she uses the restroom and then goes and gets into bed naked with one of our friends passed out in her sons bed.... talk about an awkward situation... lol

pics please thx

Quote:
Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #33
ArlingtonColt
H.S. Freshman Team

Oh believe me.. you wouldn't have wanted pics then and you DEFINATELY do not want pics now...
ArlingtonColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #34
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Oh dear.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #35
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #36
SCgoatman
n00b

when i was 6 or 7, i went a sleep walking into the living room... and apparently launched the mother of all vulgar, profane verbal attacks at my parents.

my subconscious got me grounded for six months.
SCgoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #37
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgoatman View Post
my subconscious got me grounded for six months.

LOL! Oh, that's brutal, just brutal....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote