Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

what are you supposed to do with this stuff?

...the possessions you accumulate? I'm in the midst of a serious cleaning, and I find myself coming across so many things I can't bring myself to give away or throw away. Items that serve no practical purpose, perhaps never did, and almost certainly never will again.

Gifts from ex-girlfriends, board games you may never get the chance to play again, the guitar you swear you're going to get back to playing (though you never really knew how to "play" it in the first place), old birthday cards, letters, etc.

I don't know, maybe I'm more sentimental than most people, but I either feel horrible getting rid of some of this stuff, or just kind of sigh as I box it up and stuff it somewhere, making the ownership of it a mere technicality. If I don't use it, why have it? How valuable is nostalgia? Worth boxing up something with the explicit intent of opening it up in a few years and thinking "wow, I remember that." ?

Maybe I should just photograph it all and then get rid of the physical objects. Maybe that would be a sort of compromise.

:shrug:

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

I have the same problem combined with the fact that I'll be moving in a few weeks. I ordered a small dumpster for my front yard, and I'm going to have at my house next weekend. It then becomes the decision if it's worth moving, or just tossing out the front door. We'll see how it goes....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

For this very reason I loathe the idea of moving....between warhammer hobbies, and all my computer shit, I'll need 10 boxes just for my little corner of the apartment.....

ugh
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

I have this same problem and I usualy do 1 of a few things.

1) If it's enough of a similar items, such as CD's, DVD's etc I seel em on Ebay in a bundle, get a little cash, get the stuff gone.

2) If it's big stuff, say VCR, Guitar, lamp etc.... I find someone who i can just give it to.

3) Sentimental shit I keep, but lucky for me I don't have too much of that stuff, just a few stuffed animals and pictures that take up no room.

4) If all else fails and it can fit inside a garbage bag, be gone with it. If all else fails and it cant fit inside a garbage bag, smash it up into little pieces till it does and be gone with it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

My mother found the box my NES in, but I wouldn't let her throw it away... I think I have a problem.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #6
bbor
Pro Starter

Packrats

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
I have this same problem and I usualy do 1 of a few things.

1) If it's enough of a similar items, such as CD's, DVD's etc I seel em on Ebay in a bundle, get a little cash, get the stuff gone.

2) If it's big stuff, say VCR, Guitar, lamp etc.... I find someone who i can just give it to.

3) Sentimental shit I keep, but lucky for me I don't have too much of that stuff, just a few stuffed animals and pictures that take up no room.

4) If all else fails and it can fit inside a garbage bag, be gone with it. If all else fails and it cant fit inside a garbage bag, smash it up into little pieces till it does and be gone with it.

Which group does an Aimee Sweet pocket pussy go in?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

no doubt..... E-Bay
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:51 AM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

Sentimental, my GF gave it to me, called it closest the thing i would ever get to a threesome.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sentimental, my GF gave it to me, called it closest the thing i would ever get to a threesome.

Sorry bout your luck

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:54 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a waste. If there's stuff you don't want and are just going to throw away, go find a Goodwill or Salvation Army. Let someone else have some use of the items.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:56 AM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Sorry bout your luck

It's cool, and hey, Angelina Jolie could come to town any day now and blow that statement right out of the water.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:56 AM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's cool, and hey, Angelina Jolie could come to town any day now and blow that statement right out of the water.

I'll PM you my number.....call me if she gets there

Old 01-24-2005, 01:03 AM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
...the possessions you accumulate? I'm in the midst of a serious cleaning, and I find myself coming across so many things I can't bring myself to give away or throw away. Items that serve no practical purpose, perhaps never did, and almost certainly never will again.

Gifts from ex-girlfriends, board games you may never get the chance to play again, the guitar you swear you're going to get back to playing (though you never really knew how to "play" it in the first place), old birthday cards, letters, etc.

I don't know, maybe I'm more sentimental than most people, but I either feel horrible getting rid of some of this stuff, or just kind of sigh as I box it up and stuff it somewhere, making the ownership of it a mere technicality. If I don't use it, why have it? How valuable is nostalgia? Worth boxing up something with the explicit intent of opening it up in a few years and thinking "wow, I remember that." ?

Maybe I should just photograph it all and then get rid of the physical objects. Maybe that would be a sort of compromise.

:shrug:

i have nothing to add except that was a very well thought out post
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have the exact same problem. It is part of the reason I hate moving so much. It is scary how much stuff I've accumulated in the last 10 years.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:15 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

I know just how you feel, ct. I've just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend, and we're both trying to cut down from our two bedroom existence into a one bedroom existence. We both have so much crap, but it's hard to get rid of it all. I absolutely hate throwing things away...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 AM   #17
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
My mother found the box my NES in, but I wouldn't let her throw it away... I think I have a problem.

Not at all

I got a 'new' NES for christmas a few years back, and it came with the box and all. I won't ever get rid of that box if I can avoid it.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #18
Craptacular
College Starter

I just played my NES the other night. I was playing original Zelda, as I couldn't get Zelda II to load. I'll have to clean it and try again.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bah, I have an NES and an Intellivision.

My brother passed a message through my mom (I don't get a hold of him too often) that he's going to come down and get them sometime, as it's about time to be his turn with them.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
I just played my NES the other night. I was playing original Zelda, as I couldn't get Zelda II to load. I'll have to clean it and try again.

Blow in the cartridge and then when you put it in the NES, rapidly push it up and down and wiggle it around.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #21
MikeVic
Head Coach

And I dread the day I have to pack up all my things... there's just way too much. But I don't want to sell it or throw it away.....
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #22
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Blow in the cartridge and then when you put it in the NES, rapidly push it up and down and wiggle it around.

LOL. Believe me, I tried all the tricks. It's just moody ... it will work again. Actually, even Zelda I didn't work for a minute or two. I had to try it a couple of times.

Now that I've got the itch to play my NES again, I might stop by the used games store and see if they still sell NES cartridges. I bought a bunch of games about 5 or 6 years ago. I think I've got 35-40 games. Hmm, I wonder what classics I'm missing?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 PM   #23
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Bah, I have an NES and an Intellivision.

My brother passed a message through my mom (I don't get a hold of him too often) that he's going to come down and get them sometime, as it's about time to be his turn with them.

I still remember how pissed I was when our house got robbed when I was growing up. They took a camera, some money, a TV, ... and our Intellivision with the baseball game in it.