Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heh. My church is going to be picketed by Westboro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesfags.com
05/16/201011:30 AM - 12:00 PMMt. Pleasant, SCSeacoast Christian Community 750 Long Point Rd. WBC will come to Seacoast Christian Community to spread some truth to the boasted 10,000 members of this whorehouse. These fools have women as their pastors. God hates women preachers. Let your women keep silence in the church. 1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. That is not hard to understand. It is crystal clear. You must obey this commandment, just like you must obey the rest. You are not obedient to the commandments of God. Get rid of the women "pastors" and obey all of His commandments or shut up about worshiping God.

Thoughts...

1. Actually, we don't have any women teaching pastors. Our Senior Pastor did take a relatively moderate position on the issue in a sermon early last year and made it clear that if the right person came along, we'd hire her. That sermon is still online, so my first guess is that they got word of that somehow given that we're a very large church and would therefore bring 'em the publicity they seem to crave. (My only other guess would be that maybe there's a woman leading one of the offsite campuses in a non-teaching role.)

2. I find this particularly amusing because Seacoast is one of the more conservative churches in terms of interpretation of Scripture you'll find.

3. I've been attending for nearly four years, been a tithing member for more than three, in the worship band for a year and a half, an elder for close to a year, my wife worked there (SHE WAS A SECRETARY, WESTBORO PEOPLE! IS THAT OK????) for a while when we first moved to the Lowcountry, I play hoops from time to time with one of the pastors, and was in a small group with one of the teaching pastors. Point being, it's probably safe to say that I'm somewhat familiar to the inner workings of the church. If it's a whorehouse, then I demand a refund. I ain't been gettin' NOTHING for my money or for all that volunteer time!!!

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As long as she just typed dictation and didn't actually answer the phones, I'm sure that was fine.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

How awesome would a 10,000 member whorehouse be?

I'm thinking very.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Does Westboro profit off this? I'm trying to find a motivation, attention is a means to an end...that I can't figure out.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They can only give you thirty minutes? They must have a busy schedule.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Check out the picket schedule on their site, it's like a freakin' national tour.

Speaking of which, I thought it was a parody site. But I was sadly mistaken...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
miked
College Starter

I think they were just in Atlanta yesterday picketing a high school or middle school. That's right, they were picketing children with signs about how much god hates them
Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For those that may have missed the original thread........

Leading me to believe that some folks "Just need killin.." - Front Office Football Central

I especially like it when they picket during the winter. Phelps usually wears a KU Jayhawks coat to the protests.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
reprobates have split hell wide open since you loaded this web page.

Sorry, guys.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Does Westboro profit off this? I'm trying to find a motivation, attention is a means to an end...that I can't figure out.
I'm guessing it's two-part:
1. they believe they're doing the right thing
2. to stir up people so they can file lawsuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
See above. The other thing I found entertaining in digging around a bit early this morning is that it seems that a significant number of their protests consist of like 4 people holding signs somewhere. I looked at the Twitter page of one of the founder's granddaughters. She had pics from several protests that were very small. According to their site, they have *11* protests in South Carolina on that Sunday morning. I'm guessing they get a bus or van, drop a few people off at different locations, then meet back up. There three or four protest in the Charleston metro area that day, some in and around Columbia, and others up by Myrtle Beach. Looks like three teams to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
For those that may have missed the original thread........

Leading me to believe that some folks "Just need killin.." - Front Office Football Central

I especially like it when they picket during the winter. Phelps usually wears a KU Jayhawks coat to the protests.
Heh. I didn't realize there was a thread here.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Thoughts...

1. Actually, we don't have any women teaching pastors.

If that's the interpretation of 1 Cor 14:34-35 that they're using, I wonder if they picket against women in choirs as well. Or, for that matter, saying 'Amen'.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What exactly does Westboro make of Priscilla and Aquila, who taught the gospel according to Paul's Letter to Romans (Rom 16:3)? Or, also in Romans: Tryphena, Tryphosa, and Persis (Rom 16:12). Or Galatians 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (NIV)

Then again, we are talking about the Westboro Baptist Church.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
MJ4H
Coordinator

make sure to ask them how your ass taste
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Maybe they should have started reading Corinthians one line earlier: For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.

CNN has an interesting take on Phelps and his past. I don't think he was always this way but at some point something snapped and he took most of his family with him. They scare me to death because of the way they talk about how America is heading toward complete destruction and it will be "beautiful" and "righteous." It's the kind of rhetoric you hear from terrorists, and it makes you wonder where the fine line is before this group goes from its bizarre protests to something violent.

'Most-hated,' anti-gay preacher once fought for civil rights - CNN.com

On the lighter side, as MBBF noted, it's hard to miss the chickenhawk on his jacket.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 05-07-2010 at 09:17 AM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
cuervo72
Head Coach

The Church should serve them lemonade and cookies.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
The Church should serve them lemonade and cookies and tell them they were 'made with love by fags'.

Fixed.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Ben E Lou

It just occurred to me that the irritating thing is that I would suspect that some will drive by (we're on a major road), see the signs, and assume that the protesters are associated with our church. ("Hey Myrtle, I saw them Seacoasters out there holdin' signs sayin' America is goin' to hell. I *told* you they were crazy over there!") Lovely.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I bet Phelps plays FOF. Maybe try to disarm him by making your own sign: "God Hates Bad End of Game Logic"

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It just occurred to me that the irritating thing is that I would suspect that some will drive by (we're on a major road), see the signs, and assume that the protesters are associated with our church. ("Hey Myrtle, I saw them Seacoasters out there holdin' signs sayin' America is goin' to hell. I *told* you they were crazy over there!") Lovely.

In at least semi-seriousness, it might be worth considering a bit of proactive damage control with a press release or something.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well they can't stand on your property right? So station a few counter protestors (with big signs and iphones/earplugs so they don't have to listen to the hate-mongers) on your property with big signs that have arrows or whatever, stuff to the effect of "they're not associated with us...they're here to protest against us"
Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I've got your counter-protest sign right here:

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

If the worst of the signs says something like that, consider yourself lucky.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In at least semi-seriousness, it might be worth considering a bit of proactive damage control with a press release or something.
I'm going to mention it to one of the pastors on Sunday if it hasn't already been considered. The interesting thing is that the overall strategy is to downplay it, don't counter-protest, basically ignore them, which I generally agree with. However, we're a massive non-denominational church that many people probably already are leery of. No need to feed that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Well they can't stand on your property right? So station a few counter protestors (with big signs and iphones/earplugs so they don't have to listen to the hate-mongers) on your property with big signs that have arrows or whatever, stuff to the effect of "they're not associated with us...they're here to protest against us"
See above, plus I'm not sure where our property ends and the city's begins, and neither would the average Joe passing by. Given the layout, and the fact that we have parking across the major road from the church, it would be difficult to tell the players without a scorecard, I suspect, unless our team wore t-shirts or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
If the worst of the signs says something like that, consider yourself lucky.
Well, this *is* Souf Cackilacky. THe average Joe riding is going to be much more concerned about "God hates America" than "God hates fags," I suspect.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

These people are obviously trolls.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ben - honest question, because i'm confused.

If you're "Seacoast Christian Community" then how are you a nondenominational church?

And what does nondenominational even mean from a practical standpoint? Eucharist is offered in all of the different formats at every mass? Different Eucharist types at different masses? Nicene creed? Apostolic creed? How does that all work?

Up here in MA we don't really have these giant nondenominational churches, so I'm honestly curious.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm confused at the question. They are non-denominational because they aren't a part of a Christian denomination. They aren't Baptists or Lutherans or Pentacostals or Catholics, etc, etc.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #27
wahoomac
Mascot

These bozos were in Gainesville about a month ago. They protested at a large Methodist church, a Catholic church, and the UF Hillel House (a Jewish center). There were many more counter-protesters than actual protesters at each site. They said they came to Gainesville to because "it is where children are being taught that it was OK to be gay." Counter protesters held signs like: "Jesus suffered and died for your signs", "Intolerance is a disease. Get well soon", and with someone with a red cap, a glittering skirt and a clown nose, with a sign that said "And you think I look ridiculous". The Westboro idiots do stick to a very strict schedule as they had been in Tampa that Sunday morning and were heading to Jacksonville that night. I'm sure there will be plenty of counter-protesters at the Seacoast event.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Phelps isn't dead yet? Yeesh...had my fill of that backwards asshole and his "family" while I was in Kansas. Ben E Lou, you and your church have my sympathy for having to deal with this pack of d-bags.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #29
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Jeez, if only they knew your stance on the issues...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Ask them if they will accept a banning.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Can't all you christians just get along?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #32
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Non- Denominational means not affiliated with a parent organization or denomination.

Non denominational as opposed to Baptist, or Southern Baptist, or Methodist.

They're free agents.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #33
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I really want to read the letter sent to Paul that is complaining about women in Corinthian churches. i imagine some women were pretty unhappy with this new religion keeping the same old patriarchy
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not sure where our property ends and the city's begins, and neither would the average Joe passing by. Given the layout, and the fact that we have parking across the major road from the church, it would be difficult to tell the players without a scorecard, I suspect, unless our team wore t-shirts or something.

That might actually be a great idea, wearing team t-shirts. If you guys all wear t-shirts of one color (or better yet, t-shirts showing your church name or something), it makes it very clear who you all are, and make the protestors stand out in comparison. If you, for example, stand en masse in front of your church between it and the protestors I think the meaning is clear.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So we know they hate fags, but how do they feel about gay people?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone should just start double tapping the entire westboro family tree. I'd doubt a jury would give someone the death penalty for taking out fred and his wife/daughter.

Last edited by stevew : 05-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #37
Galaxy
Coordinator

How come hate crimes can't be used? I know it would be a freedom of speech vs. hate crime thing.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #38
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #39
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I thought I read that they've made a lot of money off suing those who infringed on their constitutional rights. So there is some profit incentive to these.

Love the fact he wears a KU jacket.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #40
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I bet Phelps plays FOF. Maybe try to disarm him by making your own sign: "God Hates Bad End of Game Logic"

No one from Topeka plays FOF...
Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #41
Ragone
Pro Rookie

My wife plays fof(badly.. but still).. she was born and raised in Topeka.. in fact, she actually went out on a date with fred phelps son(didn't know who he was at the time).. lets just say.. the first date was the last..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #42
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
My wife plays fof(badly.. but still).. she was born and raised in Topeka.. in fact, she actually went out on a date with fred phelps son(didn't know who he was at the time).. lets just say.. the first date was the last..

My enquiring mind wants to know!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #43
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I really want to read the letter sent to Paul that is complaining about women in Corinthian churches. i imagine some women were pretty unhappy with this new religion keeping the same old patriarchy

It was actually imposing an foreign patriarchy to the religious culture of Corinth. Female priests would have been pretty normal in the temples of the area. I could almost guess it was the Jewish converts very uncomfortable with the more vocal/active female gentile converts that prompted the need for response.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #44
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
We need more details to this.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought the Phelps clan only had sex with each other
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #46
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought the Phelps clan only had sex with each other

This is mostly true - I believe there are about 3 families intertwined: the Phelps', the Ropers', and the Davis'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Check out the picket schedule on their site, it's like a freakin' national tour.

That schedule is just their tour group. I still have to walk through the kids on my way to work twice a week.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #47
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
This is mostly true - I believe there are about 3 families intertwined: the Phelps', the Ropers', and the Davis'.

I should have known by the way Stanley acted around Jack...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #48
Ben E Lou

We got the standard protest, it appears, although five people seems to be on the high end of the church protests.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #49
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You eat your kids, huh? Didn't expect that one on a sign.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #50
MJ4H
Coordinator

you eat your kids
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote