(8) Survivor 32 29.91%
(9) Frasier 70 65.42%
----------------------- 2 1.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

IR Greatest TV Show Tournament: Round 1, Bloc 3

The tournament is still searching for its first upset, despite early hopes that #12 Homicide: Life on the Street looked like it could stun #5 Star Trek.

#7 Twilight Zone might have a tough go of it against #10 Twin Peaks in the Eaglesfan27 region. Let's take a quick look.

Twilight Zone
Originally a CBS show, it ran from 1959-1964 and had two revival periods, from 1985-1989 and from 2002-2003, the latter on UPN. This was the first series that elevated science fiction from mere escapism to the realm of serious drama. In some ways, one could argue that it was the predecessor that allowed shows such as The X-Files to blossom.

Twin Peaks
Ran just two seasons, but became a cultural hit in that first year. Also took the unusual stance of each episode representing a single day (with a few exceptions). This time-specific model for each episode would provide an ancestor of sorts to 24's of each episode representing a single hour.

In the Izulde, #5 Band of Brothers goes up against #12Burn Notice.

Band of Brothers
A 10-part World II HBO miniseries that ran in 2001 and of the few tournament entrants to not actually be an episodic TV show as such. It was nominated for 19 Academy Awards and won 6, including Outstanding Miniseries, Outstanding Casting for a Miniseries, Movie or Special, and Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or Special. It also won the Best Miniseries Golden Globe and a Peabody.

Burn Notice
A rare USA Network, this show is currently in its third season and has been signed on for a fourth. The pilot episode won a 2008 Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Television Episode Teleplay.

The Solecismic features #1 seed The Sopranos taking on #16 seed The A-Team

The Sopranos
Ran for six seasons from 1999-2007 on HBO. It was nominated for the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy every year it was awarded and won in 2004 and 2007. The show also won Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama series three times and Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama series three times. All told, the show received 111 nominations and 21 Emmy wins, to say nothing of other awards it won from others, such as the Golden Globes and Peabodys, just to name a few.

The A-Team
NBC show from 1983-1986 perhaps most famous for Mr. T. Nominated for three Academy Awards, but won none, unlike The Sopranos.

And finally, in the Pumpy Tudors region, #8 Survivor vs #9 Frasier.

Survivor
In the midst of its 20th season and signed on for a 21st and 22nd season, this show is the one that started off the American reality TV show craze in 2000 on CBS.

Frasier
Ran for 11 seasons (1993-2004) on NBC as a spinoff of Cheers, its potential second round opponent. It won 37 Emmys in its run, crushing the record of 29 set by The Mary Tyler Moore Show and setting a new record for most consecutive Outstanding Comedy Series Emmy wins with 5 from 1994-1998.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
MollyMurphy
Mascot

Go A-Team!!
MollyMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
DanGarion
Coordinator

Although I love Band of Brothers, I'm withholding my vote for it this round in protest of a miniseries being included as a TV Show. Plus I love Burn Notice and it needs to get some votes.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

A-Team up early!

"I love it when a plan comes together"
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah to me, the Sopranos is the most vulnerable #1 seed, so I'm not surprised to see it getting a run for its money in the early voting.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

By the way, The Twilight Zone set a tournament record by going on a 12-0 run before Twin Peaks got a vote.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ugh. C'mon reality show fans!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Izulde - Band of Brothers really shouldn't be on there. Purely from a production-values standpoint it's an apples-to-oranges comparison with a miniseries and a tv show.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
molson
General Manager

I love Twin Peaks. I've watched the series a couple of times, still really have no idea what the hell happened in that second season, but that show just has a hypnotic trance over me or something.

I'd be sad to see Sopranos go down. The A-Team is a very tough matchup.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Izulde - Band of Brothers really shouldn't be on there. Purely from a production-values standpoint it's an apples-to-oranges comparison with a miniseries and a tv show.

I made the ruling that miniseries counted. It really was a no-restrictions nominating process, which is how I intended it to be. And I also don't think the decision really cost any shows a spot. I mean sure BoB got in, but Baseball and North & South, just to name a couple famous, well-doen miniseries, didn't get in.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
molson
General Manager

There's going to be ridiculous comparisons across genres and timeframe (Sopranos v. A-Team, for example), so I think it's fine there's a documentary thrown in there.

People could have nominated game shows, news shows, etc.

Last edited by molson : 03-03-2010 at 12:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's going to be ridiculous comparisons against genres and timeframe (Sopranos v. A-Team, for example), so I think it's fine there's a documentary thrown in there.

People could have nominated game shows, news shows, etc.

I'd have to look at the list again, but I believe The Daily Show got nominated, and I know a couple of the late night talk shows got nominated.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah I nominated both The Daily Show and Late Night w/ David Letterman.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #14
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Is it really fair to include a miniseries in a poll of TV shows? I guess it works anyway as I can just vote for Burn Notice which is a decent show and works as sort of a protest vote.

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-03-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Glad to see Frasier getting the early love. One of the top 3 comedies on TV for multiple years during it's pinnacle.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Is it really fair to include a miniseries in a poll of TV shows?

Not unlike including the Ivy League or ...insert just about any other small conference here... champion in the NCAA tournament, eh?

Last edited by Drake : 03-03-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Some pretty big blow outs here.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

I know a lot of people hate reality shows, but Survivor deserves better than this. It's certainly been a more influential show than Frasier. And I am saying this as a fan of Frasier. Obviously, the outcome here is not really important in the grand scheme of things. Just thought I would show Survivor a little support.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I know a lot of people hate reality shows, but Survivor deserves better than this. It's certainly been a more influential show than Frasier. And I am saying this as a fan of Frasier. Obviously, the outcome here is not really important in the grand scheme of things. Just thought I would show Survivor a little support.

My opinion is there are 2 types of reality TV. There is Survivor, Amazing Race which are well done and give you a really fun and interesting product. Then there are the Rock of Loves, Whose Your Daddies...of the world that bring the whole genre down.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My opinion is there are 2 types of reality TV.

I was talking with a friend about this the other day. I would agree there are 2 types of reality television. There are the documentary-style shows like Ice Road Truckers and the game shows like Big Brother/Hell's Kitchen/Survivor.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Ugh. C'mon reality show fans!

Fuck that shit. No reality show should win any of these games.

Down with reality TV! It's a plague on our air/digital waves.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Influential in a very, very bad sort of way. You don't congratulate the kid on your block who was the bad influence who got other kids smoking or into trouble or things.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I was talking with a friend about this the other day. I would agree there are 2 types of reality television. There are the documentary-style shows like Ice Road Truckers and the game shows like Big Brother/Hell's Kitchen/Survivor.

Fair point. I just think there is a lot of trashy reality shows out there, mostly on MTV and VH1 that give really good shows like survivor a bad name.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love Twin Peaks. I've watched the series a couple of times, still really have no idea what the hell happened in that second season, but that show just has a hypnotic trance over me or something.

It has a similar effect on me. The fact that it had a number of super hot chicks certainly plays a factor.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm stunned Frasier's winning by as large a margin as it is. I find it one of the most boring shows on television, so I'm also shocked it won as many awards as it did.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think it is fair to hold Survivor responsible for the poor quality of imitators that it spawned. Judged on its own merits, Survivor is a high-quality show. It was certainly ground-breaking in the U.S.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think it is fair to hold Survivor responsible for the poor quality of imitators that it spawned.

I really hate reality TV that depicts people in the worst possible light.. I just don't get it. I get enough people scheming and being little bitches at work so, I don't need another hour on TV. I would have voted for any show against Survivor other than Full House, then and only then I would have voted for Survivor.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 03-03-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #28
Logan
Head Coach

I skipped over the Twilight Zone/Twin Peaks matchup for some reason, and intended to vote for TZ. So if the next 47 votes end up for Twin Peaks, consider me the tiebreaker.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Well this one has turned out just brutal.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #30
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Survivor didn't even deserve to get 1 nomination.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I consider Survivor's showing is a protest to ALL reality shows! Good job FOFC!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm kind of shocked Twin Peaks is getting destroyed. Didn't think it would win but the show seems like one that would be right up this board's alley.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm kind of shocked Twin Peaks is getting destroyed. Didn't think it would win but the show seems like one that would be right up this board's alley.
After the ridiculous voting for South Park I thought Twilight Zone wouldn't have a chance.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

If this were being done right after Survivor's 2nd season, I might vote for it. The first two seasons were pretty good. Then they did one in the desert which just sucked. Tried to get back into in for the 4th season, but seemed like most of them just cared about getting on TV, they started to obviously play characters they invented in their own minds....they did a "guys vs. girls" gimmick....All-Stars...now Heroes vs. Villians?

Too many gimmicks, too many phony people. The show has been a parody of itself for while now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Poor Burn Notice... that's a tough competitor its up against
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Poor Burn Notice... that's a tough competitor its up against

i abstained from that vote out of protest
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #37
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Fuck that shit. No reality show should win any of these games.

Down with reality TV! It's a plague on our air/digital waves.

Huge +1!
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #38
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
If this were being done right after Survivor's 2nd season, I might vote for it. The first two seasons were pretty good. Then they did one in the desert which just sucked. Tried to get back into in for the 4th season, but seemed like most of them just cared about getting on TV, they started to obviously play characters they invented in their own minds....they did a "guys vs. girls" gimmick....All-Stars...now Heroes vs. Villians?

Too many gimmicks, too many phony people. The show has been a parody of itself for while now.

Yeah I've followed many seasons, enjoyed some, but mostly it goes downhill pretty fast. Nowadays it gets gimmicky in so many ways and actually goes out of its way to injure people with the challenges, adding sharp things everywhere or forcing them to tackle each other or whatever, something they didn't used to do. Giving so much airtime to the big egos is really a drag now so much its unwatchable.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #39
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I do love Burn Notice. Quite original. Only new show I've really liked. Sopranos and Band of Brothers are both way overrated IMHO. Blahblahblah SOpranos, I get it, the mob and mobsters killin people and each other blahblahblah. Predicatable as all get up. Goodfellas is far superior if you want mob.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #40
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I do love Burn Notice. Quite original. Only new show I've really liked. Sopranos and Band of Brothers are both way overrated IMHO. Blahblahblah SOpranos, I get it, the mob and mobsters killin people and each other blahblahblah. Predicatable as all get up. Goodfellas is far superior if you want mob.

Huh. Now I do discount the Sopranos a bit because the last two seasons got kinda shitty, but "Predictable" was never really one of the problems I had with the show... and when I say I discount it, that means I might have made it a 2 seed instead of a 1, still an incredible show.

I don't really see how you can't say goodfellas isn't predictable in the same way... its the mob and mobsters and killing people and each other!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #41
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just more about how its done really. Style and filmmaking and all that. Yes Sopranos was groundbreaking but after breaking the ground, eh, I was kinda done with it. That's all I meant. LIke I said, just my opinion. Just don't like it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #42
tarcone
Coordinator

Blow out city
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote