Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2003, 06:10 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Avlis Notebooks - a NWN multi-dynasty

This thread is dedicated to discoveries and adventures from the woirld of Avlis, a multi-server persisten world run for Neverwinter Nights. There are several FOFCers who have joined that world, and we'll post things here about our experiences there.

All are welcome to read along - but I'm thinking of this thread as a sort of "guild" for those of us on Avlis. Try not to violate the general precepts of the "in character" site, but if we can exchange experiences with one another a bit, it might enrich the gaming experience for all of us.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

Has anyone ventured out of the Mikona? On their webforums they mention other states. There is one other human state that was designed to allow groups of PCs to own property and build their own keeps, but who knows if that module is up and running or not. Maybe someday we can move there and establish the FOFC guild.

I once went as far as the first portal directly north of Mikona, but was killed pretty quickly by an Ogre when I ventured off the main path. I hate ogres...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Something interesting happened to me.

I was rummaging through the slums, which I thought was OK when a man (LVL 10 ranger perhaps) popped in and gave me a hard time about looting from the poor. We bickered back and forth about it and he demanded 500gold, which I eventuall gave him to end the conversation.

I offered to make the donation to a temple, but he said he wanted it. Not sure if he is a vigilante, crook, dm, or self appointed guardian. His character name is Liartes Ranorabus (The Azrai is his login name).
Old 05-03-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I have been to the wilderness. You need a hackpack to get that far.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Daimyo, I have also been to Elysia, the elven city. It's apparently good deal like Mikona - varied sectors, a complex marketplace, that sort of thing. In general, there are more "toys" available there... but I'm not sure how far that goes. (You can buy healing potions there, which is nice)

Technically, you're supposed to go from Mikona to Elysia by way ofo boat - you can buy passage at the Mikona docks. However, every time I have tried, the passage doesn't work... and I have resorted to just going dorectly to that (separate) server. I'm told that when the boats are running properly, this is considered poor form - but have no first hand knowledge of that.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
and I have resorted to just going dorectly to that (separate) server. I'm told that when the boats are running properly, this is considered poor form - but have no first hand knowledge of that.

does it pick up your character properly this way?
Old 05-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes, you carry right over, and start out in the "start area" - and enter in the main tavern in town.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
Daimyo
College Starter

Today I did a bit of exploring in the Wastelands. There is a city/keep of Equalizers there that consists of a few merchants, a re-spawn spot and a huge castle (6 floors?) that had some interesting books, but mostly was full of Equalizers. Other than that there were just some farms in disaray.

I did hear from an NPC about a bandit cave that could be worth exploring as a party. Another PC I met on the road warned me to "be careful for the bandits looking for one who went before you".

I think you can walk to the Elvish lands via the Wastelands because another NPC told me the warzone was to the north of his farm. (Apparently the Wastelands is in such bad shape because of the war between humans and elves). I was told I would find a monastary before I got to the warzone, but I had to leave the game before I could continue to the north.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
Anthony
Banned

i am logged in. the DM told me to change my name of Hell Atlantic becasue it wasn't fantasy enough. i will go by another name that others will be able to identify me by. perhaps that will be fantasy-eque enough for the geek DM's. just kidding.

thanks to QS for making this world known to us here at FOFC. picky DM's aside, it already seems like fun.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
ACStrider
High School JV

Interesting finds Daim. I want to venture into the woodlands, but haven't had the guts to do it alone. As of now, I can't play much because of the whole router situation with my roommate. He plays a lot (a lot more then I do) so when I want to play, he's often on. Oh well.

Fritz - Liartes is a dm. He's the one who recruited me to sing at the bard festival.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:02 PM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by ACStrider
Fritz - Liartes is a dm. He's the one who recruited me to sing at the bard festival.

I wish he would have broken character for a sec. I was inclined to think he was a PC-thug.

-----
Good night of gaming with HFP. His barbarian character is fantastic to adventure with and he role-plays him well.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:59 PM   #12
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Well as of now the boats are broken so what I do is go to the docks and log into the other server at 18 hours, so I simulate like I took the boat.

Me and Fritz had a blast messing around in the mines tonight. A fellow orc showed up who was naked so we helped him get his corpse back. We also had a fellow named Eric who was new so we gave him a bow and some arrows. (I will buy you a new bow if you need fritz)

Fritz is a crafty little wizard I must say. We took on some umber hulks that were pretty deadly for our levels and managed to kill them a few times. They have a scream that turns party members against each other if you dont save throw, so Fritz's doggies were attacking me, I had to kill one of them heh.

I have found a lot of really nice people on the server so dont be afraid to ask someone for help or information. This is actually my first experience with a roleplaying game like this and roleplaying is pretty fun.

Information: I have been messing around with smithing.

2 iron ore = 1 iron ingot
5 iron ingots = 1 shiriken

I made my first weapon today, albeit a projectile, but I was pretty happy. It is the only thing I have figured out to make thus far.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 05-04-2003 at 12:05 AM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

HFP, there are two books in the keep at the Equalizer castle that list ingredients you need for specific weapons. I believe one was for axes and I can't remember the other.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:36 AM   #14
Daimyo
College Starter

I got to play a little tonight and continued north. Eventually I got to the warzone. It wasn't very big, but dangerous as it seems both guys attack. One of the human commanders asked me to pledge my loyalty to the human side and he would protect me from his men, but I refused. Eventually I made may way into the elvish ccountry of T'Nashi and now I'm in their capital city (Le'Or T'Nanshi I think). Its like a huge version of the Ewok village.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Do we have the sense that in this milieu, if you want to gain "powerful" weapons and such, that you have to go track down the various ingredients, and forge them for yourself?

It would make some sense... I just hadn't read that anywhere.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #16
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

shoot, I don't even have "not so powerful" weapons.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #17
Anthony
Banned

how do you get out of Heaven? i had to have the DM get me out the first time i died, now i'm wandering around looking for a way out now that i've died a second time.

btw, i've died twice following people on adventures that asked me to join - and i said i don't think i have enough power to be of much use - and they said don't worry, and twice i've died.

i got suckered into following 2 guys into the sewers - i was on a fire beetle quest and we agreed to help each other on our respective quests. we go all the way down, get bombarded, and the two guys were like "see ya, you're on your own". it was fun to be left by myself, cuz i could really see this happening.

another time i got stuck in a house because the door locked as soon as i stepped in. i took a vial of potion from someone's chest, and when i saw i couldn't get out i put it back thinking maybe the door locks when you steal something. nothing. i guess there were no DM's on either because my cries when unanswered. i finally picked one random person to come get me out, i had to leave little clues as to where i was and they finally bashed the door down and gave me some tips. it was boring at first but fun. i didn't have any weapons or else i would have bashed the door myself.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #18
Daimyo
College Starter

I saw a crypt in a small village called "Westshore" not too far north of Mikona. I didn't go inside, but later I heard some PCs talking about it, so I guess it might be kind of cool. I'm back in Mikona now so hopefully I'll run into some of you guys again.

BTW, Le'Or T'Nashi has some nice elvish weapons/armor if anyone wants to make the trip sometime. I'm not sure there is anything else to do there though as I was the only one on the server the whole time I was there.

Question: Has anyone found any of the adventure packs (other than rat raiders) to be useful yet? I'm sure I can't fo the troll, orges, or elemental ones, but maybe the beetles or spiders?
Old 05-04-2003, 12:57 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

The beetles are *way* too tough. It starts harmlessly enough with a bunch of fire beetles, but they ramp up in difficulty. It ends with some kind of "den mother" beetle, and the big dude who helped me needed well over 200 HP in damage to wipe her out. (Needless to say, I was a shivering, naked passenger at that point, groveling for help in getting my belongings back)

From what I have heard - the rats are a goldmine, the goblins are a waste of time, and nothing else seems do-able. I have not heard anything about spiders.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:14 PM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

HA - there should be a trigger point you must step on. Stay out of the sewers. HFP and I got waxed there and we are good deal more powerful.

Quik - Daim and I did the Ogres when I was level 5 and he was level 3. they crushed us, but I bet 3 or 4 of us could take them.

HFP and I took out 2 Vampire Warriors (50 exp per is not bad in this world).
Old 05-04-2003, 06:49 PM   #21
Anthony
Banned

what is everyone's name in Avlis? mine in obvious to all FOFC'ers when you see it.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:59 PM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

AC Strider has a thread with player names.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8452&highlight=Arena
Old 05-04-2003, 07:28 PM   #23
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

FYI

http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=8834
Old 05-05-2003, 09:36 AM   #24
Daimyo
College Starter

Wow that is great fritz!

A couple of things:

I've heard about a hill full of giants and trolls near Mikona. I think it is due East as I encountered trolls there after walking up a hill.

Also, I think I may have found a longterm goal if I stay in Mikona. There is a lawful good Order in Mikona, Order of G-something (the LG god). Apparently, reading things at the in-character Mikona discussion, they pretty much control Mikona now to the point of being oppressive. I think they're the ones who rag on people for summoning within the city and apparently they've even dismissed summoned creatures outside the city walls leaving mages defenseless in hostile areas!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Laful Goods are the Order of Gorethar (or something very similar). Yes, they are the prude police.

The Order of Valok (mostly orcs, it seems) are the ones who always talk about "getting ahead in life." They are lawful evil, but are clearly in the minority compared to the LG cabal.

Are you suggesting that a long term goal might be to help subvert the Gorethar in Mikona? My character is Lawful Neutral, but has a slight tedency to evil after I gave money to Valok. It would be in character for me to get behind that, I think.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

I was able to get into Avlis this morning after fiddling with anti-aliasing. Don't know if it was a one time thing or not. Anyway I met up with Critch and a lovely lass by the name of Anaiya Greenwood. We tried our luck in the slums, but Critch and Anaiya found the monsters there much tougher than before (I had never been there). Then we killed (or watched the guards kill) a few fire beetles, before using up Critch's rat raider kits.

I made it to second level, which is a good thing, because as a cleric Critch and Anaiya were having to heal me a lot more than I was healing them.

By the way, Thomkal is Neutral Good and worships Dra'Nar, the Gods of Heroes and Orphans, so don't go doing anything against him or I'll have to kill ya. (yeah right)

Was fun Critch, thanks for letting me tag along
Old 05-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I have goal - Get people to dress better. To many folks in bland colors. Perhaps they are in the Gorethar cult.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #28
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I have goal - Get people to dress better. To many folks in bland colors.

Hmmm... my ears are ringing.

[edit for nitwitted typo]

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-05-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:33 PM   #29
Critch
lolzcat

If you go down to the slums today, you're in for a big surprise.

Looks like the wererats have finally worked out what all this fighting is about, they're much tougher than they have been. They've got some sort of damage reduction that makes them harder to kill off. Some of the other packs have been toughened up also, the goblins seem to be hanging around in larger packs, though they're still mincemeat.

Good seeing you on there Thomkal. A good morning. Anaiya vanished off after you left, so she must be hot for clerics. She's probably a middle-aged fat bloke anyway
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:45 PM   #30
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Are you suggesting that a long term goal might be to help subvert the Gorethar in Mikona? My character is Lawful Neutral, but has a slight tedency to evil after I gave money to Valok. It would be in character for me to get behind that, I think.

Yes, that is what I'm suggesting. It is great that they have taken it upon themselves to protect the weak and maintain some order within the city, but I believe that have crossed the line between protection and oppression. (makes me wonder ooc, if there isn't some LE character in a high position warping the group for his own ends). The problem is all the worse because of a lack of any significant group to counter their influence on the city.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #31
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Critch
If you go down to the slums today, you're in for a big surprise.

Looks like the wererats have finally worked out what all this fighting is about, they're much tougher than they have been. They've got some sort of damage reduction that makes them harder to kill off. Some of the other packs have been toughened up also, the goblins seem to be hanging around in larger packs, though they're still mincemeat.

Good seeing you on there Thomkal. A good morning. Anaiya vanished off after you left, so she must be hot for clerics. She's probably a middle-aged fat bloke anyway

Critch, encounter size and toughness is often tied to total character level in an area. A good reason for low level characters to avoid high level ones.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:48 PM   #32
Daimyo
College Starter

I figured Thomkal was a lock to be a Paladin.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #33
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I DLed the character creator and played with the custome races. The half nymph gets a +5 to charisma and a -2 to intelligence.

Would make a good Sorcerer, Paladin, or Cleric.

doubt I will ever get to play one though.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #34
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Hmmm... my eras are ringing.

I have some threads for you BTW
Old 05-05-2003, 12:58 PM   #35
Daimyo
College Starter

I created a half-nymph sorceror when I first got the game before I read that only experienced Avlis players could use them.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #36
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
I figured Thomkal was a lock to be a Paladin.

I certainly considered it. But I am playing the single player version with a Paladin, so wanted something different. Would have played a druid if someone (Daimyo) didn't pick one for himself. So seeing Fritz turn from a cleric to a wizard, I went cleric. Knew the group could use some healers.

And clerics are my favorite class anyway so I guess it worked out in the end.

And I tried twice this afternoon to go into multiplayer games (not Avlis) and crashed both times. Only time I was able to get in was in the morning, soon after turning on my computer. Don't know if there's a connection there or not.

And Critch, women are always hot for clerics.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #37
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal

And Critch, women are always hot for clerics.

Well, women named Tammy Faye anyhow.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #38
Daimyo
College Starter

New rule about adventure packs:

http://boards.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=13599
Old 05-06-2003, 09:40 AM   #39
Critch
lolzcat

Not sure if this is a permanent change, but the boy who takes the fire beetle bellies has been killed.

From the chatter in the game, this may have been planned to close the "loophole" of people making vast amounts of gold from selling his potions.

Combined with the adventure pack rule changes, it'll make getting from level 1 to level 2 a fair bit more difficult.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #40
Daimyo
College Starter

I noticed yesterday that only one fire beetle spawns from the sewers, whereas before two spawned.

I got my Druid back after losing her to the server crash. Unfortunately I lost about 4500 XP in the process (I was only 200 away from lvl 6)...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

It sounds liek there is a general drift away from the various loopholes that they planetd in the setting. While it's easy to say this after getting a fairly easy ramp up to my current XP, I think this is for the better.

I wandered around town for a few hours before discovering the fire beetles or the adventure packs... my progress to level two saw me become pretty familiar with a number of the locations and personalities in town, and I think that wa a pretty worthwhile experience. It also probably serves well to filter out the powergamer crowd pretty well - there are plenty of places for that group to sign on, and then pull a cord to get a level up.

And in truth, with the adventure packs - it was just a very strong incentive to use them, especially the rats. Getting something like 300XP from "rat raider" and then getting plenty of GP afterwards... it took real metagame discipline to actually go out adventuring, rather than just sitting around fighting rats. I personally think the advanture packs would be better off without the chest at the end - valuable just as a training tool, that's all.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:14 AM   #42
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
And in truth, with the adventure packs - it was just a very strong incentive to use them, especially the rats. Getting something like 300XP from "rat raider" and then getting plenty of GP afterwards... it took real metagame discipline to actually go out adventuring, rather than just sitting around fighting rats. I personally think the advanture packs would be better off without the chest at the end - valuable just as a training tool, that's all.

I am gulity of some of th3e very abuses they detailed. At 7th level, I would not run a pack for the exp, but the money can be good. Money can be hard to come by, and may partys that I have been in take a finders keepers approach to treasure. The packs were easier.

daim - they must have used a backup from the day before or so. I had a few items in my inventory that had been discarded.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #43
QuikSand
lolzcat

Perhaps we're due for a coordinated party get-together. I'm good tomorrow evening, from about 6pm ET onward. Might we try to do something of the sort? I don't have a particular destination in mind, but with a handful of mid-level characters (several of us in the 5-7th level range) we might be able to take on one of the more dangerous tasks...
Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 PM   #44
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Perhaps we're due for a coordinated party get-together. I'm good tomorrow evening, from about 6pm ET onward. Might we try to do something of the sort? I don't have a particular destination in mind, but with a handful of mid-level characters (several of us in the 5-7th level range) we might be able to take on one of the more dangerous tasks...

A quick one would be the vampire (and stuff) in the sewers or the ogre cave in the wilderness. Daim may have some goos destinations as he has been wandering about quite a bit.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 PM   #45
QuikSand
lolzcat

(Posted on the guild message board)

By the way... my monk is very interested in finding some help with his armor class. I have a ring of protection, but that's it. I can't (practically) wear armor, but a nice robe would do me well, or something of that sort.

Have any of you, in your travels, come across any useful defensive items? Can you send me in a direction that might be fruitful?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #46
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
(Posted on the guild message board)

By the way... my monk is very interested in finding some help with his armor class. I have a ring of protection, but that's it. I can't (practically) wear armor, but a nice robe would do me well, or something of that sort.

Have any of you, in your travels, come across any useful defensive items? Can you send me in a direction that might be fruitful?

Quik, a wisdom booster may help you as well.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #47
Daimyo
College Starter

I would be up for a party get together. I generally get home from work around 7pm EST (except THUR when its ~11pm).

I think the hill to the east of town with the ogre's, trolls, and giants (I think it is east of town, I've only heard of it and I saw several trolls over there) would be one place. Apparently that is doable solo by an 11th level wizard or 14th level fighter, so it might be doable by several 5-7 types.

There is a crypt in Westershore in the Wilderness that I've heard people excited about, but I have no idea how challenging it is or what is there.

The sewers below Mikona seem a popular detination, although supposedly it is inhabited by a Lich that would probably give us trouble.

There is supposed to be a grotto under Elysia that is great for XP for mid-level characters, but I've never seen it.

Lastly, the best XP I ever received in my journeys was 47 XP for killing a Nanshi warrior in the warzone. It was not tough to kill at all since they're pretty much all ranged and the terrain is flat. Unfortunately they don't always attack you and when they do they don't always appear as hostile (?!). But perhaps if we joined the human side, we could kill them at will for fun and profit? (not sure how that fits my alignment though...)
Old 05-06-2003, 12:45 PM   #48
Daimyo
College Starter

Quik, there was some armor in T'Nashi for wizards that gave an AC of 3 and didn't interfere with arcane magic (I think). I'm not sure if it interfered with the wisdom bonus. Other than that I don't think I've seen anything that remotedly would help. On the road to T'Nashi I did find a lone guy in the Wilderness selling nice shields. I got a medium shield from him... no AC bonus other than the usual +2, but it can do Cure Minor Wounds five times per day and it cost less than 300 gp! (he had three other types, but I don't remember what they did.)

T'Nashi also has nice weapons. I bought a Katana of Elvin Kind for ~2000 that does the normal 1d10, plus an addition 1d4 physical. I love the description... something like "This katana is VERY sharp"

Maybe you could take a level of wizard to get Mage Armor or some cleric/druid levels to get barkskin.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-06-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:50 PM   #49
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo

Maybe you could take a level of wizard to get Mage Armor or some cleric/druid levels to get barkskin.

or travel with me and I will give you stoneskin.
or travel with your wife and she will dress you in moleskin.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #50
Daimyo
College Starter

When stoneskin's description says damage resistance 10/+5, does that mean it prevents the first 10 damage from each hit, unless you have a +5 weapon?