Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL Week 17

For those that were concerned

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3169075

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The New England Patriots' shot at history Saturday night will be available for every household in the country with a television after months of wrangling.

The game against the New York Giants, in which the Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, was originally scheduled to be shown only on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs.

But the league announced Wednesday that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on NBC and CBS. It's a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from politicians in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
mattlanta
Mascot

There's no way the Patriots will lose if the Giants will bench their starters, and from here, it looks as if they will bench their starters. They have nothing to lose while New England, on the other hand, has their run for perfection up in grasps. I'm thinking Belicheck will just keep Brady and his starters in there until half time or whenever he thinks the game is done for.
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh yeah with the simulcast, everyone will get to hear the brilliance that is Bryant Gumbel
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Miami beat me to it.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Love these translations by someone even more cynical then I am:

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans." <--translation "Fuck, we're gonna lose the anti-trust exemption."

"Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever." <---translation "We only caved here because it was a game Congress cared about. Resistance is futile. Pay up."

Anyone want to guess who this FOFC Cynical bastard is?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Oh yeah with the simulcast, everyone will get to hear the brilliance that is Bryant Gumbel

yeah, good news bad new for me. On one hand, I get a break from the idiotic ramblings of Phil Simms. On the other hand, it means I have to listen to Gumbel. When you combine Gumbel's repetitiveness with the fact that he's extremely slow to react to the play, it almost sounds like you are listening to a broadcast from a video game.

And it's....[player name]...over the middle...a gain of...[yardage]...on the play...that will bring up...[down]...down for the...[team].
Old 12-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, good news bad new for me. On one hand, I get a break from the idiotic ramblings of Phil Simms. On the other hand, it means I have to listen to Gumbel. When you combine Gumbel's repetitiveness with the fact that he's extremely slow to react to the play, it almost sounds like you are listening to a broadcast from a video game.

And it's....[wrong player name]...over the middle...a gain of...[ too few yardage]...on the play...that will bring up...[wrong down down]...down for the...[opposing team].

Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
henry296
College Starter

My favorite Gumbelism, is the play that gains 5 more yards than is needed for the first down and he says, so and so apears to have enough for the first down.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I was hoping that CBS and NBC would use their own crews for the broadcast. Alas.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

John Kerry accomplished something!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

If Al Gore can hang his hat on inventing the Internet, John Kerry can take credit for this.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if they are at going to give CBS and NBC the HD feed, however.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Yippee... the entire nation can now see the Patriots go 16-0 against the Giants 2nd string.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ironically, Plaxico Buress practiced yesterday for only like the 3rd time this season.

Must be some kind of do the opposite strategy.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
thetrilogy
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Yippee... the entire nation can now see the Patriots go 16-0 against the Giants 2nd string.

There isn't an instrument yet to be made that would measure my total agreement with this comment.

The Patriots will play all of their starters to the death- to keep from losing a half-assed played game that only the Patriots care about.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy View Post
The Patriots will play all of their starters to the death- to keep from losing a half-assed played game that only the Patriots care about.

The patriots will do exactly what they did against the other 10 teams or so they played that they were vastly better than: Go up 30 points and then pull the starters at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The only think I think the Giants sitting starters will do is change when the Patriots pull their starters from 10 minutes left in the game to 15 minutes left.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Honest to god, I think I enjoy the radio announcer on Madden NFL better than Gumbel.

Thanks to him, I did not know that someone was chasing a reception record this year.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ah he just got it right with the guy in his ear giving him the words.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

I think Randy Moss has the face of a guy with a tortured soul.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Plax with a good reception.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I think Randy Moss has the face of a guy with a tortured soul.

o'course. He's not a Raider any more.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #22
Raiders Army
Coordinator

"If the call is upheld, we'll come back." LOL. So if it's overturned, we won't have to hear you?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

After apparently 4 minutes, the Giants score a TD.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
Celeval
Pro Starter

Giants came to play. Brandon Jacobs is running hard despite no holes, and that was a very nice touchdown.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #25
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Damn, he threaded a needle there to Welker.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 12-29-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #26
Rizon
Pro Starter

Wow, you guys were right about Gumbel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #27
st.cronin
General Manager

That NFL network commercial, the one bashing cable companies, makes me want to turn this game off. Fuck the NFL network.

knives out
Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #28
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Wow, you guys were right about Gumbel.

No kidding. I'd rather listen to Madden go on and on about nothing than listen to Gumbel.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I hate the NFL for the games they pull with their network, but that's free market. They have a right to withhold their product unless certain demands are met, that's the way it goes. I think the government went over the line in its response this week. Now I don;t like the NFL network or the cable companies and their cronies in Washington.

-Abe

EDIT: It was not mean that way, but the first line is a double entendre and I mean it in both ways.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-29-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #30
Rizon
Pro Starter

Haha, looks like it's Midnight for NE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Yeah, I hate the NFL for the games they pull with their network, but that's free market. They have a right to withhold their product unless certain demands are met, that's the way it goes. I think the government went over the line in its response this week. Now I don;t like the NFL network or the cable companies and their cronies in Washington.

-Abe

EDIT: It was not mean that way, but the first line is a double entendre and I mean it in both ways.

The NFL's fault here is that they have an anti-trust exemption so that they can negotiate a national TV contract because it fits the best interest in the public. Putting games on their own channel and trying to leverage it as a way to make money goes against the reason they were given the exemption and it should be taken away from them for using the NFL network the way they are.

Cable companies are just as at fault, but this this isn't simply a matter of free market.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #32
st.cronin
General Manager

Isn't industry standard having a down/distance graphic?

knives out
Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Double Tied Record
Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and before any of the "He pushed off for it" comes out, watch that last replay.. both of them were handfighting/pushing
Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That NFL network commercial, the one bashing cable companies, makes me want to turn this game off. Fuck the NFL network.
I thought it was funny. Then again, I have the NFL Network. I'm more pissed that our youngstown affiliate that I have to get w/ my satellite package is a Browns network.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #36
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
They have a right to withhold their product unless certain demands are met, that's the way it goes. I think the government went over the line in its response this week.

I don't necessarily know that it was over the line - the antitrust exemption that the NFL was specifically written to allow the NFL to negotiate their tv deals as a league rather than as individual teams (which had been ruled to violate antitrust). If the argument is that they're taking advantage of it now, then I think it's pretty reasonable that that is what is under discussion.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #37
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't care about the NFL network until they start propagandizing about how the cable companies are blah blah blah. Don't insult my intelligence.

knives out
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #38
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Well, this could be a fun game.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #39
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Isn't industry standard having a down/distance graphic?

I assumed that anyone who would make Gumbel and Collinsworth a broadcast team had something other than standards on their mind.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #40
Celeval
Pro Starter

Darn good game so far. I particularly like the ref explaining the flag to Moss with his own dance.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

well, the Giants came back big. Lets see what happens here.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #42
Booj
High School JV

Am I the only one that feels bad for Cris Collinsworth having to waste away next to the worst play by play man in the NFL?
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I like the Pats offense so far. Even if the Giants continue to score, at this rate we'll out shoot em
Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #44
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj View Post
Am I the only one that feels bad for Cris Collinsworth having to waste away next to the worst play by play man in the NFL?

Collinsworth probably loves it. Being paired next to Gumble lets him talk more and he actually sounds like he knows football.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #45
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj View Post

I can't believe Gumble just played the "I said hand, but I meant head" card. Even when Pat Summerall was so blind that he couldn't distinguish which team a player was on, he knew to just let those mis-statements lie as if they'd never been said.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Well, this could be a fun game.

It's been a very good game so far - much more competitive than I expected.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #47
Jas_lov
College Starter

Touchdown Giants!!! This is turning out to be a fantastic game!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #48
Celeval
Pro Starter

Boss is looking very good.

Cassel warming up?!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Killdrive is calling a pretty good game for the Giants. I'm pretty shocked about it, actually.

And for the love of god, can Plex catch a jumpball vs a 5'10" patriots CB one time? Just for me? Just for old times sake?

Last edited by stevew : 12-29-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Boss guy has looked pretty good the last couple weeks. I dunno why he was like a 5th rounder, must have hands of stone or something. He at least looks like what I'd want an NFL TE to look like.