Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Klinglerware
College Starter

SpongeBob SquarePants Angers Christian Conservatives

hxxp://channels.netscape.com/ns/tv/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0002/20050120/2024838844.htm

Geez, SpongeBob et al are just cartoon characters... And these groups are attacking a video on tolerance to boot.

I guess they are attacking a reference to having respect for people with other sexual orientations in the web site. I don't have any issue with that, and even if I did, isn't that part of the standard disclaimer in most government and private sector's anti-discrimination spiels anyway? Besides, what 2 year old is going to go on the website?

Last edited by Klinglerware : 01-21-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This is what is wrong:

The Christian group is saying that the "We Are Family" video is promoting homosexuality. The "We Are Family" foundation is promoting tolerance. There is a big difference.

Obviously the foundation does not think that homosexuality is "wrong" per se (they probably don't tolerate child molesters or rapists or murderers), but the conservative church would lump homosexuality in with those groups.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one."

That being said, it is being shown on school televisions. Separation of church and state should solve this nicely. Conservative church, sit down and shut the fuck up. Easy solution.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
G-Man
High School JV

I have yet to read this article but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
hxxp://channels.netscape.com/ns/tv/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0002/20050120/2024838844.htm

Geez, SpongeBob et al are just cartoon characters... And these groups are attacking a video on tolerance to boot.

I guess they are attacking a reference to having respect for people with other sexual orientations in the web site. I don't have any issue with that, and even if I did, isn't that part of the standard disclaimer in most government and private sector's anti-discrimination spiels anyway? Besides, what 2 year old is going to go on the website?

As a Christian, we are told (in the Bible by God) to love the sinner yet hate the sin. This equates to zero tolerance for any sin, regardless of how "society" views this biblical sin. We cannot however treat the sinner disrespectfully or with malice and anger. We must try and help them (if they are open to it, we cannot "twist their arms") (sinners) in any way we can to overcome their sinful ways.

I will read this article as time permits, however I do hope that SpongeBob is not being used to promote tolerance because my son (who is also a Born Again Christian) loves him and has much of his memorabilia (PJ's etc.).

Tolerance is a modern ploy by Satan to convince (deceive, manipulate etc..) people that sin is ok....
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Niles Rogers was on the Today Show this morning and said that the video is about tolerance for your fellow man (or woman). He said he couldn't exclude one group (homosexuals) FWIW.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

it's a f-ing sponge that lives underwater people.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Joe
Pro Starter

we don't need homosexual 2 year olds running around
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

But what about the children? The golden rule? Jesus Christ wouldn't want us prmoting that would he? The children folks! The children!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Easy Mac

hasn't homosexuality been a theme throughout all cartoons? Look at Bugs Bunny. But I enjoy how you say everyone should be tolerant about others life, then saying you don't want your kid taught that.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
As a Christian, we are told (in the Bible by God) to love the sinner yet hate the sin. This equates to zero tolerance for any sin, regardless of how "society" views this biblical sin. We cannot however treat the sinner disrespectfully or with malice and anger. We must try and help them (if they are open to it, we cannot "twist their arms") (sinners) in any way we can to overcome their sinful ways.

I will read this article as time permits, however I do hope that SpongeBob is not being used to promote tolerance because my son (who is also a Born Again Christian) loves him and has much of his memorabilia (PJ's etc.).

Tolerance is a modern ploy by Satan to convince (deceive, manipulate etc..) people that sin is ok....

This is a joke, right? Please say yes. Please?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #10
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
This is what is wrong:

The Christian group is saying that the "We Are Family" video is promoting homosexuality. The "We Are Family" foundation is promoting tolerance. There is a big difference.

Obviously the foundation does not think that homosexuality is "wrong" per se (they probably don't tolerate child molesters or rapists or murderers), but the conservative church would lump homosexuality in with those groups.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one."

That being said, it is being shown on school televisions. Separation of church and state should solve this nicely. Conservative church, sit down and shut the fuck up. Easy solution.

Newsflash: Seperation of church and state does NOT mean the state gets to promote ethics and values hostile to Christianity or any other religion (Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe that homosexuality is sin) in the name of 'tolerance' and those with a faith-based perspective keep their mouths shut. Why not just have the faith-based folks start wearing, say, yellow stars, crosses or whatever sewn to their sleeves to point them out for their 'intolerance' to the state?
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I mean, how was this allowed? Clearly sending the wrong message. How we got by growing up was amazing.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Christian Conservative groups have issued a gay alert warning

if it wasn't so damn sad, that would be the funniest thing i've read all year.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
This is a joke, right? Please say yes. Please?

I was hoping the same thing, but the more I read it, the more I'm pretty sure it's not.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
sportsfan13
H.S. Freshman Team

People are so freakin' sensitive now. Growing up, I watched Daffy Duck continuously get his beak blow off by Elmer's shot gun and watched Wil E. Coyote fall off a cliff dozens of times. Does this mean I took this seriously? Hell no!!! People need to seperate life and entertainment. I laughed at Tom & Jerry for hours, but I was not worried whether or not Jerry's feelings were hurt because Tom wanted to eat him. The sensitivity level in Amercia needs to get toned down a couple notches!
sportsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
sportsfan13
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

I mean, how was this allowed? Clearly sending the wrong message. How we got by growing up was amazing.

This was a great episode by the way!!!
sportsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Newsflash: Seperation of church and state does NOT mean the state gets to promote ethics and values hostile to Christianity or any other religion (Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe that homosexuality is sin) in the name of 'tolerance' and those with a faith-based perspective keep their mouths shut. Why not just have the faith-based folks start wearing, say, yellow stars, crosses or whatever sewn to their sleeves to point them out for their 'intolerance' to the state?

This kind of stuff kills me. Just because you can't force your worldview on everyone doesn't mean you're being persecuted. The notion that Christians are a persecuted group in America is beyond absurd and even hinting at equating the current state Christians in the US to the plight of Jews and gays in Nazi Germany is fucking insulting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #17
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
This kind of stuff kills me. Just because you can't force your worldview on everyone doesn't mean you're being persecuted. The notion that Christians are a persecuted group in America is beyond absurd and even hinting at equating the current state Christians in the US to the plight of Jews and gays in Nazi Germany is fucking insulting.

No, the shoe fits here. Running roughshod over one's personal religious beliefs because it serves the 'interest of the state' is exactly what Nazism WAS all about and exactly what this country was NOT founded upon. That used to be basic high school civics, but maybe those classes also no longer 'serve the interests of the state."

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 01-21-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Even if this is your view, can you not see the message as being 'tolerance for the person" which sounds an awful lot like "We cannot however treat the sinner disrespectfully or with malice and anger." ??

Quote:
No, the shoe fits here. Running roughshod over one's personal religious beliefs because it serves the 'interest of the state' is exactly what Nazism WAS all about and exactly what this country was NOT founded upon. That used to be basic high school civics, but maybe those classes also no longer 'serve the interests of the state."

Again (and I know these are two different people and two different quotes here), isn't the message simply tolerance of the person regardless of his or her sexual orientation? If that message runs roughshod over your beliefs then I don't think you are a very good person at all.

And, comparing this to the attempted EXTERMINATION of a race is really f'ed up. Unless you're just trying to invoke Godwin's law to end the thread before it really gets going.

You guys want to argue that you'd rather not have spongebob discussing sexual orientation in any way and I'll give you that one. But the direction some of these posts are going seem to me to be the very definition of intolerance and hatred.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I'll echo Radii's sentiments. This is nuts. I was born and raised Catholic (though I've since "converted" to Atheism). During my 28 years as Catholic, I always felt the most important things you should take away from the teachings of Christ, God, or whatever, are compassion, tolerance, and understanding, i.e., the Golden Rule: Due onto others...

If promoting tolerance is running roughshod over your religious beliefs, then good for the state on this one. At least you can marry who you want to marry.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #20
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

Define "zero tolerance". I think that is an important part of your post and you have left it out.

Also, I think it worth pointing out that when you say "As a Christian, we are told..." that you seem to be speaking for thousands of Christians who do not interpret the Bible the way you do. It would be more accurate if you said "my interpretation of the Bible leads me to believe..."

And my random observation...

Christians come in all types of flavors, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) the evangelical wing of the faith is what most folks seem to equate to Christianity. I wonder if that is good for the faith long term...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #21
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The religion of peace, tolerance, and love is not all-tolerant and all-loving? This is news to anyone?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think we can all agree that Sponge Bob is going to roast in Hell.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #23
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
The religion of peace, tolerance, and love is not all-tolerant and all-loving? This is news to anyone?

Only as practiced by some.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #24
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
At least you can marry who you want to marry.

Actually not true. He couldn't marry a man if he wanted to.

Seriously, though, I don't see anything good that can come of this thread as it is progressing. The only thing I would add is that while Christianity is certainly a religion of tolerance and love, not all who practice it do so with that in mind unfortunately. That said, God is not tolerant of sin in any way. But that's his place to judge, not mine or anyone else on this planet. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 01-22-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #25
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

All I can say is

I do not get to involved in Religious discussions, and tolerance around here, due to the major shifts I have had in my life with religion. I still won't get involved but
Old 01-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #26
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Quote:

You are a scary man
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #27
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
That said, God is not tolerant of sin in any way. But that's his place to judge, not mine or anyone else on this planet's. Just my $.02.
Yeah, the problem is...define sin. Some consider interracial dating a sin. Others consider dancing a sin...or gambling. How do we, as humans, come to understand what God considers a sin...particularly when they are so many different interpretations out there. Even if you use the Bible as your guide...do you interpret it literally? Or is it a parable? Which is right? Even if you *just* take the Ten Commandments...define Thou Shall Not Kill...does it mean capital punishment is a sin? War casulaties? Collateral damage?

How do hundreds of millions pray to God regularly but all come to different conclusions and interpretations of sin and what it means to live a life of righteousness?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 01-21-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Actually not true. He couldn't marry a man if he wanted to.

Seriously, though, I don't see anything good that can come of this thread as it is progressing. The only thing I would add is that while Christianity is certainly a religion of intolerance and love, not all who practice it do so with that in mind unfortunately. That said, God is not tolerant of sin in any way. But that's his place to judge, not mine or anyone else on this planet's. Just my $.02.

Heh. This is true, I should not make assumptions.

Agreed on the thread. It aint got nowheres to go. It's just.... Man... Ugh.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Being that I'm a guy who deals in "absolutes" more than the average person (based anecdotally upon the amount of criticism I receive for my "there's more black/white than gray" outlook), it's probably peculiar that I'm going to attach a caveat to my actual comment:

In a number of instances, Tolerance is a modern ploy by Satan to convince (deceive, manipulate etc..) people that sin is ok.

If you had added that little bit, I'd have probably gone overboard in praising both your accuracy & your courage of conviction. Minus that, I still sincerely applaud you on the latter at the very least and thank you for posting it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-21-2005 at 11:02 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:06 AM   #30
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Yeah, the problem is...define sin. Some consider interracial dating a sin. Others consider dancing a sin...or gambling. How do we, as humans, come to understand what God considers a sin...particularly when they are so many different interpretations out there. Even if you use the Bible as your guide...do you interpret it literally? Or is it a parable? Which is right? Even if you *just* take the Ten Commandments...define Thou Shall Not Kill...does mean capital punishment is a sin? War casulaties? Collateral damage?

How do hundreds of millions pray but all come to different conclusions and interpretations?

You're asking outstanding questions, and I have no answers for you. I know what I believe, based on my own interpretations of that which is important to me. I could sit here and tell you that, but I suspect that's not what you're looking for. That's why I said that it's not my place to judge anyone.

I live my life by a code of values that I feel is correct for me, and I would obviously intend to raise my children with that system in mind. But I have little intention of telling anyone else that they have to follow my morals.

Now, if you're asking how society or government should handle these issues, then you and I would agree on the fact that there isn't a definitive answer there. I simply don't know.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #31
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Poor Spongebob. All he wanted to do is be a simple fry cook and now all this media attention is gonna force him to stay in his pineapple. I would like to give my condolences to him, Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street and Twinky Winky of the Teletubbies. Soon Bugs Bunny will speak out in behalf of the cartoon characters that are being slammed today from his retirement home in Hollywood, CA.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #32
waitforit
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
If the presidency was about IQ, we'd have statues all over of Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon.

Hoover gets a bad rap. More blame should go to Coolidge and less to Hoover.
waitforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #33
G-Man
High School JV

Evangelical = no tolerance. Count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Define "zero tolerance". I think that is an important part of your post and you have left it out.

Also, I think it worth pointing out that when you say "As a Christian, we are told..." that you seem to be speaking for thousands of Christians who do not interpret the Bible the way you do. It would be more accurate if you said "my interpretation of the Bible leads me to believe..."

And my random observation...

Christians come in all types of flavors, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) the evangelical wing of the faith is what most folks seem to equate to Christianity. I wonder if that is good for the faith long term...

What don't you understand about Zero Tolerance? I think the phrase is self explanatory. Please do not get into this interpretation stuff. That is just another ploy to discredit God's Word. When it comes to Zero Tolerance of sin, there is no different interpretation. The Lord cannot abide any sin. To live with sin is to die spiritually. That being said, of course all (humans) sin and fall short of the Glory of God. The only way to be Born Again (in the spirit) and to die to the flesh, is to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. This is the only to way to assure salvation (Heaven) and the path to God.

I understand that you will say this is only my opinion. It is what I believe and it is faith based. This is not the forum for a religious debate. I was just voicing what the Christian (as in Jesus followers) view on sin and tolerance of it. Of course not all Christians understand or even practice this. Then again not all people who proclaim that they are Christains really believe or have faith. That is not for me to judge, all have the choice to believe or not.

I would consider myself an Evangelical Christian. I do believe that without Evangelical Christians this great country of ours would not be so great. Try and figure that one out
Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #34
Anthony
Banned

there is no God.

the God you read in the Bible doesn't allow Mother Nature to kill 200k+ people by the force of killer waves.

hate someone because they spit in your face or tried to hurt you or someone in your family. don't hate them because of something you read in the Bible. people who do these thigns are jsut as worst as islamic extremists who kill in the name of their jihad. they take their religion too seriously that logic and reason are thrown out the door and their tolerance for people not like them leads them to become murderers. religion is the worst. if you want religion for guidance on how to be a decent human - fine, i can accept that - but to take a 2 thousand year old book written by people who thought the world was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth and read into that book word for word is completely ludicrous.

humans are the worst.

Last edited by Anthony : 01-21-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #35
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

SpongeBob is a gay icon? Who knew?
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #36
chinaski
College Prospect

i think tolerance had a good deal to do with the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution and Civil Rights... soooooo HAIL SATAN.

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #37
Kodos
Resident Alien

My tolerance for people who misuse "tolerance" and "intolerance" is shrinking. Time to go to the bannable offenses thread.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #38
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
What don't you understand about Zero Tolerance? I think the phrase is self explanatory. Please do not get into this interpretation stuff. That is just another ploy to discredit God's Word. When it comes to Zero Tolerance of sin, there is no different interpretation. The Lord cannot abide any sin. To live with sin is to die spiritually. That being said, of course all (humans) sin and fall short of the Glory of God. The only way to be Born Again (in the spirit) and to die to the flesh, is to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. This is the only to way to assure salvation (Heaven) and the path to God.

I understand that you will say this is only my opinion. It is what I believe and it is faith based. This is not the forum for a religious debate. I was just voicing what the Christian (as in Jesus followers) view on sin and tolerance of it. Of course not all Christians understand or even practice this. Then again not all people who proclaim that they are Christains really believe or have faith. That is not for me to judge, all have the choice to believe or not.

I would consider myself an Evangelical Christian. I do believe that without Evangelical Christians this great country of ours would not be so great. Try and figure that one out

Whew....I wasn't sure where my place in life is....now I know....

EDIT: Oh, and I am biting my tongue....I am done with this thread...I now know not to read into things like this on this board.....

Last edited by MacroGuru : 01-21-2005 at 11:23 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #39
G-Man
High School JV

Exclamation John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son,..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
there is no God.

the God you read in the Bible doesn't allow Mother Nature to kill 200k+ people by the force of killer waves.

humans are the worst.

Remember the Great Flood? Noah's Ark? Sodom and Gomorrah? The Lord created us and He does love us very much. However He also can be quite vengeful and terrible is His anger. You ask what kind of God can allow thousands, millions (The Holocaust) to die? God gives us free choice. This freedom of choice does come with consequences, sometimes very dire indeed. If not for Noah, the human race may not be here.

To your question about the Tsunami deaths, I cannot give you an answer. How can we as mere mortals conceive of what motivates or drives our Creator? I do know that before His return the deaths caused by the tsunami will pale in comparsion, unfortunately because of the freedom of choice and man's sinful nature.

You sound angry, as I once was. The Lord has given me peace and comfort. Perhaps He would do the same for you if you but seek Him out....
Old 01-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #40
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
hasn't homosexuality been a theme throughout all cartoons? Look at Bugs Bunny. But I enjoy how you say everyone should be tolerant about others life, then saying you don't want your kid taught that.

And talk about those Smurfs. An entire village of people with one female. I'll grant you that Smurfette was probably a raging ho, but still...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #41
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
As it was said earlier, this message is not hostile to Christianity. It is espousing tolerance for your fellow man...not convincing people to turn gay. Additionally, if you're going to take it so far as to say that the state cannot promote ethics hostile to any other religion, what about those die-hard Satanists and others out there who are offended that we tell kids to be good in school???
Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #42
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
if you want religion for guidance on how to be a decent human - fine, i can accept that - but to take a 2 thousand year old book written by people who thought the world was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth and read into that book word for word is completely ludicrous.

I won't comment on the rest of your post b/c I think it's a little too far to the extreme end for my views(as I generally consider myself to believe in a higher power but all the details after that are pretty sketchy), but the part that I quoted above is exactly how I view much of organized religon and the bible itself.

And that is, of course, the problem with discussions like this in the first place. How can I respond to someone who believes, word for word, what the bible tells him, when I think that's the same thing as basing my beliefs on the Illiad or Oddysey?

I am generally driven by my desire to be a good person. Many people define what a good person is based on the bible. I do not. It's a pretty big disconnect when it comes to things like homosexuality.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #43
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn

MANN, Im learning all sorts of stuff today, first empty nut sacs now Spongebob is loved by gay people..man i love spongebob

seriously though, that article, umm the video and the characters arent even talking about homosexuality, its just the foundation who sponsors it has sexual intolerance as part of their pledge, I mean come on, the video was made after 9/11 to promote unity and tolerance soo why arent the Christian groups just being straight about it (holy crap NO pun intended there) and admit that they're just annoyed about THAT-the video saying other religions are OK , and maybe only two of these groups are upset cuz like the husband just told me, the rest of them are too busy off trying to convert Tsunami victims...(off to watch Spongebob)
Old 01-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #44
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
And talk about those Smurfs. An entire village of people with one female. I'll grant you that Smurfette was probably a raging ho, but still...

man, i spit my water when i laughed
Old 01-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn

{raises hand}

I kinda figured that was pretty well known actually, since it's been around for at least 3 years now.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #46
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

All you have to do to see how this promotes a hypocritical double standard when it comes to indoctrinating public school kids with 'social engineering' is take the same situation and reverse it. How many now would have a problem with the same public schools using SpongeBob to promote Christian ethics and values (such as the golden rule, as taught by Jesus in the Bible?) Bottom line is: Keep your social engineering ways as far out of the schools as you want faith-based teachings.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
{raises hand}

I kinda figured that was pretty well known actually, since it's been around for at least 3 years now.

{edited to add -- I meant the "SB-as-gay-icon" has been around at least three years, not SB himself}
Old 01-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #48
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't know - unless there are obvious political ploys I think this stuff gets a little blown out of proportion. I'd be willing to bet that before this story, not one kid who watches Spungebob had any inkling about homosexuality in the show. At any rate, I think that we have many more family-related issues to work on without disecting each children's cartoon for homosexual references.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #49
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
My tolerance for people who misuse "tolerance" and "intolerance" is shrinking. Time to go to the bannable offenses thread.

Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
i think tolerance had a good deal to do with the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution and Civil Rights... soooooo HAIL SATAN.

HAIL SATAN!

hail satan!

HAIL SATAN!

hail satan!

(long live the D!)
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #50
BucDawg40
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
(who is also a Born Again Christian) loves him and has much of his memorabilia (PJ's etc.)...

Hey G-Man, I'm just curious as to how old your son was when he decided, all on his own, after long consideration and careful contemplation on the nature of the universe, to become a BAC. Surely he compared all different brands of Christianity and even examined other faiths before settling on this one, right?
BucDawg40 is offline   Reply With Quote