Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

TCY Question

I'm going to have some time to start up a new TCY career next week, and I have a question. As we are all aware, due to the number of really smart kids who value academics, one sure-fire patch to building a dynasty is to pump up the academics early on. Has anyone tried playing with house rules that significantly hamper your ability to become an elite academic school? I'm thinking of setting a max for study hall time at 20%. In the last serious career I played, I set the cap at 30% (with an exception for anyone who had been academically ineligible in the past), and I was among the best 5 or 6 schools in the country pretty quickly, which allowed me to grab high academic recruits fairly easily. I'm going to play with a school that doesn't start with a high academic rating. (I think I'll randomize ratings until I get UGA to have both low academics and prestige. I want to recruit in the state of Georgia, but not with the SC8.) Any thoughts on this?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Follow up question:

What files contain the conference names, team names, and the bowl game names? I want to copy these files from my desktop to my laptop so I don't have to re-enter all that stuff.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-26-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:12 AM   #3
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Re: TCY Question

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Has anyone tried playing with house rules that significantly hamper your ability to become an elite academic school?

I did something like this with my Vanderbilt dynasty many eons ago. I think it got moved to this board, but I don't have time to search for it now.

Anyway, I started with Vanderbilt, and my main house rule was not to recruit anyone with a test score over 1000. Within 5 years I was losing nearly every game and had about 20 players a year either suspended or leave the team due to academic trouble. It was a mess, and not a fun one. BTW, I let the computer set the time allocations.

Probably the best way to get what you're after is to start with a school with poor academic ratings and recruit exclusively based on talent without regard to test scores or GPA.

Good luck, and have fun.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
Grego
Mascot

In all of my TCY careers, I let my scouts/coaches make the time decisons. It not only adds a reasonable house rule that requires no maintenance, but also makes choosing your staff all the more important.
In my last dynasty, it took me 10 years to bring North Texas to top 5 in academics, and another 5 years before I consistently fininshed top 10 in national rankings.
You may have already decided on Georgia, but all the Sun Belt teams start out in the bottom 20 in both academics and prestige, making any of those teams a challenging experience. Middle Tennessee State would allow you to recruit in GA as well.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote