Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Cashing in some Credit w/ your boss

I have been trying to get my dad hired and Im meeting some resistance but the positives for him outweigh negatives. He once was a Independent contractor for a small builder and was VP of sales. When the company started small, he was to get 1% of each sale...then the boom happened.

He was due over a million dollars by October of that year. One day the CEO/owner walked by him in the hall and in passing related his intention not to pay him his due, but cap him at $350K for the year and make it retroactive for the whole year that had passed already. Coupled with the rumors that the company was being sold and he was not going to be told by the Owner until the deal was done (which was fine) my dad walked and sent him a letter of his desire to be paid the full amount. They said no, he sent an attorney letter.

Inevitably a few weeks later, my dad, a softie started to weaken and say that they were all friends and he wanted to not sue and just give in. Through an intermediary he let the owner know he was sorry and wanted to meet and make things the way they were at the new pay rate. This was all against my advice.

They met, they shook hands and the owner promised dad an interview with the new company. The interview was a farce and my dad was immediately cut after signing off on the new pay deal.

After that, my dad interviewed everywhere and after initial interviews and subsequent interviews thats seemed to go well, suddenly things would always turn and they wouldnt hire him. We suspect that the owner was blackballing him, which would be easy to do in this city.

Now that a few years have gone by, I touched on the subject of hiring him as a sales agent, bottom of the totem pole, because everyone knows in this city that he is an awesome salesman, A rated. This time, the bosses here seemed receptive, even encouraging of the idea of bringing him on as they need good people.

1st interview, a group interview....well he was the group and the interview went very very well according to both Dad and the Smaller boss. Then they had him take a salesmanship test, which was simply a formality, of which the boss got the results of and said he did good....however corporate decided not to hire anyone from the prior acquisition from year's ago. Incredulously I retorted that 1/2 of our sales staff came from the acquisition and technically he was independent back in the day anyways. Smaller Boss seemed sincerely exasperated and wanted to see what he could do, but I have doubts.

So I called the bluff and gambled a bit of my credit...for family. I send a humble email to the big boss who initially encouraged this, and the smaller incredulous boss, asking that they reconsider the decision in light of a few hires that didnt make it through training and our being shortstaffed, and mentioned the initial excitement to bring him on, and his awesome qualifications.

Anyways, fingers crossed for family. Im not worried about being fired, but this email would have to be the last mention of this for years unless they bring it up first, which sucks....but I felt that this might be my best opportunity to get him in the industry again in a few years. Cant hurt for trying for dad, im sure God thinks Im doing the right thing.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-23-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Fingers crossed for you .... and good on you for hanging in there for him
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very admirable, Flasch. I hope it works out for you and him.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Rizon
Pro Starter

Rule #1 at jobs: Never trust anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Fingers crossed. Sounds like good person to use some of that built up credit for.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Kudos, you did the right thing.

It will be rewarded at some point, maybe now maybe later, just sleep well knowing you did the right thing.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote