Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Need wireless help...

So this started a couple days ago- my wireless signal is now cutting in and out pretty bad, it seems pretty random and will work fine for a couple hours and then it'll just lose the connection (I'm maybe 10 feet from the router), and then it will come back, and connect but only locally, then I'll manually disconnect and try reconnecting, and eventually it'll start working again- but may only last a minute or two.

I am not sure what the problem is here, both my roommates are experience the same problem so I know it is not my computer, and then the computers that are hooked up directly with Ethernet are working with no problems at all.

I've tried resetting both the modem and router, but that doesn't seem to work at all. Is there anything in my wireless settings that I can go check, or is there a way to reset those settings?

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

You can try changing the channel on your router. I get interference from my washing machine when it is turned on/changes cycles and my refrigerator sometimes. I'm not sure if changing channels will have an effect on this type of interference, though. Just some ideas of things to look into.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
So this started a couple days ago- my wireless signal is now cutting in and out pretty bad, it seems pretty random and will work fine for a couple hours and then it'll just lose the connection (I'm maybe 10 feet from the router), and then it will come back, and connect but only locally, then I'll manually disconnect and try reconnecting, and eventually it'll start working again- but may only last a minute or two.

I am not sure what the problem is here, both my roommates are experience the same problem so I know it is not my computer, and then the computers that are hooked up directly with Ethernet are working with no problems at all.

I've tried resetting both the modem and router, but that doesn't seem to work at all. Is there anything in my wireless settings that I can go check, or is there a way to reset those settings?

If you're direct connection is working, but the wireless is going out then it sounds like a problem with interference. I had a similar problem and found it was because my neighbor has a 2.4ghz cordless phone. Any time they picked it up it would cut out my internet.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Very interesting...this latest time it knocked out the direct connection also, but that could've been cox cutting out. It does that once a week maybe.

I'll try changing the channel and see if that helps.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

change channels or time for a new WR
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Well after putting it for a while, and constantly trying different channels I guess it's time to break down and go get a new router. Not sure which one to get this time, I'll probably just go back to the same lynksys, pretty cheap and seems to work well with all the stuff I have in the house.

Thanks for the help, to bad it wasn't an easy fix of just changing the channel.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 11-19-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It may be a completely unrelated problem, but I had some good help in a thread here and I was an inch away from buying a new router that I didn't need. It may be something else.

Router Troubles

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Well I ended up getting a new router, and it worked for a little while with no problems... Then it started doing the same thing again, then it worked fine for a few weeks and now on a daily basis I will randomly lose my connection, and it takes a few minutes of trying to reconnect that it will finally get it- and be good to go again for a day, or sometimes not even an hour.

Could this be a problem of too many devices on 1 network? We have 4 computers, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, and an iPhone...

When it comes to wireless networks I'm at a complete loss and really have no idea how to fix this- I just know that its a real pain.

Also, sometimes on my desktop my connection seems to time out, it'll do this for a few seconds then pick right back up no problems. No clue if this is what is causing the wireless problem since I am never on both laptop and desktop...

The Wii & PS3 are connected wirelessly and are always having problems with their connections.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

So are you saying that when you plug into the router directly you are fine?

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
So are you saying that when you plug into the router directly you are fine?

For the most part yes, my desktop (and sometimes the laptops) all work when plugged in- however there are times that they temporarily freeze up, give it a minute- and then it starts going full speed again.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Unfortunately this is one of the shortfalls of wireless networking the devices are required to accept interference and due to that can be inconsistent. All the tweaking and channel changing in the world might not fix a problem like this.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote