Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

What Are You Reading 2013?

On amazon.com about to buy my first Chuck Klosterman book, unsure of which one to purchase.

It's between Fargo Rock City (2001) - "a humorous memoir/history on the phenomenon of glam metal", Killing Yourself to Live (2005) - "a road narrative focused on the relationship between rock music, mortality, and romantic love", Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs (2003) - "a best-selling collection of pop culture essays", Chuck Klosterman IV (2006) - " a collection of articles, previously published columns, and a semi-autobiographical novella", and Eating the Dinosaur (2009) - "a collection of previously unpublished essays"

I think it's between Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (his best-seller) or Eating the Dinosaur. I'm a little worried about the former because I fear it's dated (some 2003 reviews lament that most of his references were already walking the line of dating themselves). The reviews of Eating the Dinosaur interested me the most.

Also, probably going to purchase "Not Taco Bell Material" by Adam Carolla. I liked his first book, "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks" and generally enjoy Carolla on his podcast, so this will be an easy toilet reader.

Anything else to recommend? I was also looking toward Malcolm Gladwell, I've only read one of his books ("Outliers"). Any suggestions?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

I recently read Eating the Dinosaur, very good and worth it for What We Talk About When We Talk About Ralph Sampson alone.

EDIT: The other sports essay from Eating the Dinosaur can be read on ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...sterman/091019

Last edited by mckerney : 02-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

After polishing off the Wheel of Time, I've just today started "The Warded Man" Peter Brett.

I'm also working through the Jack Reacher series. Enjoyable but it isn't living up to my expectations to date. I'll add that anyone who likes the Reacher and Mitch Rapp(Vince Flynn) books should look into the Jonathan Grave series by John Gilstrap. Ohh as I typed that, I just noticed that he's got a new book out in that series. Good Stuff.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I'm also working through the Jack Reacher series. Enjoyable but it isn't living up to my expectations to date. I'll add that anyone who likes the Reacher and Mitch Rapp(Vince Flynn) books should look into the Jonathan Grave series by John Gilstrap. Ohh as I typed that, I just noticed that he's got a new book out in that series. Good Stuff.

I'll check out Gilstrap.

Along the same lines, I had heard Robert Crais' Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series was a good fit as well, as Pike is similar to Reacher. So I just read the most recent paperback in the series, Taken. I did indeed enjoy it, although I think Reacher is a better character than Pike, at least based on that book.

I am currently reading The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Not bad so far. Has a Dark Tower feel to it, a little bit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

I think it's between Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (his best-seller) or Eating the Dinosaur. I'm a little worried about the former because I fear it's dated (some 2003 reviews lament that most of his references were already walking the line of dating themselves). The reviews of Eating the Dinosaur interested me the most.
Any suggestions?

do not read sex drugs and cocoa puffs. VERY dated. i just read it a few months ago. unless you want to read entire stories about the real world cast of like 1997 or so.

i enjoyed killing yourself to live, but my favorite klosterman is Downtown Owl. its just a fiction book in a small ND town. i loved it.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
do not read sex drugs and cocoa puffs. VERY dated. i just read it a few months ago. unless you want to read entire stories about the real world cast of like 1997 or so.

i enjoyed killing yourself to live, but my favorite klosterman is Downtown Owl. its just a fiction book in a small ND town. i loved it.

I should look into Klosterman's books more now that I'm in ND, I think...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

The only reason I didn't offer up Downtown Owl as a possibility is that I have never read any fiction from Klosterman. I just ordered Eating the Dinosaur, maybe I'll give Downtown Owl a whirl down the road.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just finished American Sniper, it's a decent read. I liked Chris' thoughts on the war and everything and his the interjections of his wife at times telling you her thought process.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Just read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.... Thumbs up, I liked it a bunch..

Also read another by her, Dark Places, also very good.

Read "the Racketeer" by Grisham. Good read.

"Replay", by Ken Grimwood, as recommended in the 2012 reading thread. Fantastic Book...

Currently reading 11/22/63 by King. I like that one too...

Didn't like- "Desperation" by King. Or "Zero Day" by Baldacci.
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Jas_lov
College Starter

Just finished The Numbers Game by Alan Schwartz and 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. Both were well done.

Currently reading 11/22/63, halfway through and it's pretty good so far. Also just started Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 02-28-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
Just read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.... Thumbs up, I liked it a bunch..

Also read another by her, Dark Places, also very good.

Read "the Racketeer" by Grisham. Good read.

"Replay", by Ken Grimwood, as recommended in the 2012 reading thread. Fantastic Book...

Currently reading 11/22/63 by King. I like that one too...

Didn't like- "Desperation" by King. Or "Zero Day" by Baldacci.

We have very similar tastes. I loved the dark humor in Gone Girl, and have Dark Places on the nightstand, waiting. And while I don't usually like King, I thought 11/22/63 was excellent.

I used to read Grisham, but stopped after the mediocre football book and the self-indulgent Christmas story. Is he back?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Landshark44
High School Varsity

"The Racketeer" was pretty good... Grisham lost me along the way, as well.

His last couple of efforts have been good reads, though. I just finished "The Litigators", too, and it kept my interest. The Racketeer reminded me of "The Partner" which I really liked....

If you haven't read "Replay" and you liked 11/22/63, make it the next book on your list....

Last edited by Landshark44 : 03-01-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Anybody notice in 11/22/63,

An early character using a reference, unappropriate for the time period? I haven't finished the book, yet... but it's bugging me

Something about "Carter, and liver pills"....
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

The Black Prince of Baseball - The story of Hal Chase

Has always been one of the more fascinating characters of early 20th century baseball to me and the artist has done a very thorough job digging into the psyche of a very twisted man.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Finished Storm Front after hearing Day[9] recommend the Dresden Files, will have to pick up the second book before too long.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm excited about my current book list, though it's been slow going getting through it...been extraordinarily busy lately.

Currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I loved what he did with the Wheel of Time and couldn't get through the Mistborn trilogy fast enough. I'm not all THAT excited about an epic series that isn't already finished - between Game of Thrones and finally finishing the Wheel of Time, I don't need ANOTHER - but Sanderson is amazing and I can't get enough of his work. I'm not far into the book, but I'm already well hooked.

Finished David Weber's latest effort in the Safehold series, Midst Toil and Tribulation. I'm still really enjoying the series, but it's starting to get a little Jordan-ey in that the book is long, but not much of actual note happened. The series seems to be gearing up for major things to happen, so it's holding me over, but things better start happening soon.

Also read Jim Butcher's recent Dresden Files book Cold Days, and his short story compilation book Odd Jobs. Both were fantastic. Harry Dresden is a great character and I love that each book in the series (we're at I think 13 total now) ramps up the action and intensity, and somehow does it without getting campy or absurd. Well, it definitely gets absurd, but in limited quantities and almost always in a fun tongue-in-cheek way.

A friend also convinced me to take a look at The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf. I'm going to do some more research before I jump in wholeheartedly, but I think I'm coming around on the paleo idea. His writing style is pretty good, mixing pop culture and humor references in to keep the science portion of things interesting. I'm not finished yet (this one's the bathroom reader), so we'll see if I still agree by the end of the book.

Coming up I have The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof and Redshirts by John Scalzi. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about The Blind Assassin, though my roommate (who is female) can't stand Atwood because of her extreme feminism. She hasn't read The Blind Assassin, however. Eight Men Out covers the Black Sox Scandal, and I've heard good things. Scalzi is a Sci-Fi writer who I'm quite fond of, and I'm eager to read his latest offering about a kid who gets his dream position as an ensign on a starship...but he's given a red shirt. And when he starts to realize what happens to all the crew with red shirts who go on away missions...
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #17
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Finished Storm Front after hearing Day[9] recommend the Dresden Files, will have to pick up the second book before too long.

The Dresden Files are awesome. Butcher does a great job of blending fantasy and mythology into the present day.

His other major work, the Codex Alera, is an interesting fantasy epic (six novels). Slightly different take on magic with some likable characters...but it doesn't really do anything exceptional to make it stand out. I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm easy to please.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Coming up I have The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof and Redshirts by John Scalzi.

Eight Men Out is awesome...it launched a total obsession for me about the Black Sox back in the late 90s.

Having a Kindle has really amped up my reading, even more so thanks to the PixelofInk thread that has so far been a goldmine

I just finished up The Mongoliad: Book 1 by Greg Bear and Neal Stephenson...thought it was excellent and will be getting the next one soon

Currently reading In Pursuit of Platinum by Vic Robbie...its a WWII based suspense novel that is very well written and quite gripping...his chapters are short...only 5 or 6 minutes each so the rapid fire changes in location and characters makes it very hard to put down, because you want to get back to the people that you just left...he also is amazing at his settings...the story is set in 1940 France, and he doesnt just build a sense of the landscape, but also of the people as they are fleeing in front of the advance of the Germans.

more mainstream, i finished up World War Z, and Threat Vector (the latest Tom Clancy, whom i read every time he puts something out, even that horrible piece of Red Rabbit crap)...it is getting a little bit hard to accept some of his plot devices lately, mainly that no one notices that the president's son is in all the place that black ops are occuring around the world, but i am always impressed at how much depth there is in his "evil schemes"...i end up wondering how much of it is actually possible
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Jas_lov
College Starter

Finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I wouldn't have lasted two days what this guy went through. And he's still alive! Not surprised to read that they're making it into a movie. I think it'd be tough to play Louie in the movie with all the weight he lost.

Also finished 11/22/63 by King. Pretty good story and I like the concept. I plan on starting Hearts in Atlantis soon as I've heard it's good.

Halfway through The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Very good so far, I love crime novels.

Also about 200 pages in A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin trying to get ahead of the GoT tv series. I always read 3-4 books at a time so it takes me a while to finish one, but I like the mix of reading different types of books.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I wouldn't have lasted two days what this guy went through. And he's still alive! Not surprised to read that they're making it into a movie. I think it'd be tough to play Louie in the movie with all the weight he lost.

Also finished 11/22/63 by King. Pretty good story and I like the concept. I plan on starting Hearts in Atlantis soon as I've heard it's good.

Halfway through The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Very good so far, I love crime novels.

Also about 200 pages in A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin trying to get ahead of the GoT tv series. I always read 3-4 books at a time so it takes me a while to finish one, but I like the mix of reading different types of books.

The Alienist is such a fantastic book. The sequel is just as good. (lot of people feel it's better although I don't) It amazes me how little Carr has written similar to those two books.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
cougarfreak
College Starter

Just finished Nine Dragons by Micheal Connelly. I like his crime novels a lot. I think I"m going to dive into the Mistborn Trilogy next.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 04-13-2013 at 07:13 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Can somebody give me the low down on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series? I was curious to check it out and I see this series is huge. I've read kind of differing opinions on whether to start at the beginning or start elsewhere. Help.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Still working through the Wheel of Time series (re-reading from the beginning and at book 7 now). Eventually want to move on to the fire and ice series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Got two new baseball books coming up: The Summer of 1968 and Big Hair and Plastic Grass (baseball in the 1970s).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

I've finally started on the Wheel of Time series as well as Acacia: The War with the Mein (book 1 of a trilogy)

On the non-fiction front, I've been reading The Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600-1947 and I just started Medieval Russia 980-1584.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #26
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Can somebody give me the low down on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series? I was curious to check it out and I see this series is huge. I've read kind of differing opinions on whether to start at the beginning or start elsewhere. Help.

There is a chart somewhere online (sorry, don't have a chance to check right now) that lists the books in the order for each main branch (there is a branch books about the town guards for instance, and another where Death is the main character)

I tried to start at the beginning but found the first book kind of a slog (which I've heard elsewhere as well), so then tried out the first of the Death books, Mort and really enjoyed that as well as the one after it.

Last edited by path12 : 04-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Been on a Sci-Fi kick lately and have pulled some down from pixelofink.com but right now I am reading The Spider and The Fly and it is decent so far.

Finished The Forever War which was a solid read. Read Encrypted, which was horrendous and I couldn't get into.

Next up to read will be All About Coffee, Medicine Men: Extreme Appalachian Doctoring and Memoirs of a Gas Station.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
path12
Coordinator

Currently reading Wolf Hall by Hillary something-or-other. Novel featuring Thomas Cromwell in the time of the War of the Roses. Liking it so far.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Depends what you want.

Via The L-Space Web: Discworld Reading Order Guides
Start at any of the oranges. For those, I'd read synopses and see which one suits your current mood.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #30
path12
Coordinator

That's the chart I was talking about!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #31
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Thanks guys. Will look into it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #32
Drake
assmaster

Started reading the Wool series by Hugh Howey. Surprisingly enjoyable.

On another note: is there anyone here who knows anything about radio technology -- like short-wave and things -- who would be willing to read my latest novel and make sure I didn't make any major gaffes? Bonus points if you know how this translates to deep space radio communication (or maybe I should just tag this post "Hey, terpkristen!!!")

In any event, PM me if you're interested.

ETA: Even if you don't know anything about radio and just want to rubberneck, feel free to PM also. One can never get enough feedback.

Last edited by Drake : 04-30-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Started reading the Wool series by Hugh Howey. Surprisingly enjoyable.

I'm actually going to read Wool books 1-5 (as part of the Omnibus) with the Sword & Laser book club this month. It's been in my queue for awhile, so I'm pretty excited.

Also, I'll drop you a PM.

/tk
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I get the feeling that if baseball players had antennas sticking out of their heads and wielded 8-foot long magical swords instead of bats, folks here would relate better to them.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Knocked a bunch of books out since my last update...

The Baseball Codes was a fun little book about the unwritten rules of baseball. I was well aware of nearly every "rule" they mentioned, but the book was worth it for the anecdotes alone.

Redshirts was a hilarious and quick read. If you're at all familiar with Star Trek you'll love it, and even if you aren't it's enjoyable.

Eight Men Out was a fantastic read. It was pretty amazing to read not only about the series, but of the aftermath and its effect on baseball.

Taking a cue from my girlfriend, I read Demian by Herman Hesse and was impressed. This style of book (coming of age without much in the way of action or adventure) is not at all my cup of tea, but I blew through it and enjoyed it a lot.

The Blind Assassin is in the backseat of my car, bookmarked at page 60. Just isn't grabbing me. I'll eventually get it done, but I started it before all of these other books, and I'm in no hurry to get back to it.

Really though, I came here to write about one book: Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. The book came recommended by a friend while we browsed a used bookstore. The writing is phenomenal, the story is engaging and it's hard to put down - I was up until 3 AM finishing it last night, and I wake up at 5:30 AM. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. There is some spirituality/religion in it, but I'm a card carrying agnostic who wants nothing to do with church, and it didn't bother me in the least. A beautiful story.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
saldana
Pro Starter

i just finished up all three books in the Baker Street Brothers series...very quick reads, and very enjoyable
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm ALMOST done with 11/22/63. It's a great premise (guy time travels to try to stop the JFK assassination), but as usual with Steven King, he drags it out ridiculously. I'm totally ready for the book to be over.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #38
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm ALMOST done with 11/22/63. It's a great premise (guy time travels to try to stop the JFK assassination), but as usual with Steven King, he drags it out ridiculously. I'm totally ready for the book to be over.

I enjoyed that book a lot but found the ending rushed.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
I enjoyed that book a lot but found the ending rushed.

i agree...considering how long it took to get back to the future, it felt like he just got tired of writing it and slapped the ending together
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Where I was really bored was the slow down in the week leading up to the climactic act and all the talk of:

Spoiler
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #41
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm reading Among Others this month for the Sword & Laser book club. It's kind of an homage to being an awkward, SFF-loving teenager. It doesn't exactly have much "plot," it's basically written as a diary...and because of that, a lot of people in the club don't seem to like it. But I identify so well with the main character...and I really enjoy seeing Walton's feelings on society (and books!) through the eyes of the main character. I'm really loving it. And the audiobook is narrated by a woman doing a Welsh/English accent which is fun. I can see why this won the Nebula and Hugo (even if the Hugo is more or less a popularity contest).

I think S&L is going to read Redshirts next. I'm not really interested in it...only have a passing interest in Star Trek and would rather read something more...original. I've read two other Scalzi books (Fuzzy Nation and Old Man's War) and while they were fine/good enough to read and not just quit, I didn't think they were anything special.

/tk
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #42
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Haven't read Fuzzy Nation, but I loved the heck out of Old Man's War. I think you'll enjoy Redshirts, even if you're not that interested in Star Trek - probably about as well as you liked Old Man's War.

Finished Twelve today by Nick McDonell. He was 17 when he wrote it. makes me feel like I probably should have already done something with my life. The book was good, although again, not my usual fare. Short, quick bursts of story in small chapters written from the perspective of different characters. It revolves around several rich High School students in the week between Christmas and New Years in New York City. The 'main' character is one of the kids who took a year off school to deal drugs.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-12-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
Schmidty
Coordinator

I always go to Hendersons Books in Bellingham. I also buy fantasy stuff. I'm simple.

Right now I'm reading "The Crimson Sword". It was 2 bucks. I'm enjoying it. Not fancy. Who cares.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #44
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Reading, or rather listening to Caleb Carr's "The Alienist".

It is about a forensic psychologist in 1896, though he isn't called that. He's called an Alienist.

It is like it is straight out of Criminal Minds, but with Teddy Roosevelt as the NYC police commissioner. It is all right so far. I'm about half way through, and it has certainly held my interest.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #45
Jas_lov
College Starter

I just finished The Alienist a few weeks ago. Very good book that they should make into an HBO miniseries. I dont think it'd fit into a 2 hour movie with how deep they go into the case.

Now reading Hearts in Atlantis, A Feast for Crows, and Brave New World.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 06-13-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I just finished The Alienist a few weeks ago. Very good book that they should make into an HBO miniseries. I dont think it'd fit into a 2 hour movie with how deep they go into the case.

Now reading Hearts in Atlantis, A Feast for Crows, and Brave New World.

looks like there is a second book in the series

The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Lazlo Kreizler): Caleb Carr: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #47
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

There is and it's told from a different character's perspective.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #48
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Anyone read anything good lately?

Just finished NOS4A2, horror by Joe Hill. It was ok at best...

I've been looking through the bestseller list on amazon, but nothing is really grabbing me. I'm off tonite and would love to download something great...
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #49
HerRealName
College Prospect

Two books by Donald Ray Pollock, Knockemstiff and The Devil All The Time.

I almost hesitate to recommend these books because the subject matter is so dark but some of the stories are sticking with me and making me think about them even a year later. Knockemstiff is a collection of roughly related short stories and the other is a true novel.

Again, these two books are not for everyone. Maybe try a sample first
HerRealName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #50
Landshark44
High School Varsity

thank you, i'll check them out...