Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Friday Night Lights

Remember when FNL was beginning up and people were carping about how family friendly folks would love this and this was a drama for the family? Did they watch anything other than the pilot?! Holy jeez, I'm not complaining, but this show has more sex and self-destructive behavior than most shows out there. I'm sure there are parents who are scrambling to change the channel before the tyke asks "How come the QB's girlfriend is half naked in his best friend's room?"

I wonder if people are pissed at their expectations of family friendly fun and what they actually got?

Does it reflect in the ratings?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think it's probably due partly in fact to the old addage "Sex sells"

The show wasn't doing so well, so lets spice up the plot lines
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, it was fairly spicy from the beginning, IMO... though I guess a lot more from the pilot. What are the ratings for it? Have they gone up or down? How did the 'special night' move to Studio 60's slot do for it?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, it was fairly spicy from the beginning, IMO... though I guess a lot more from the pilot. What are the ratings for it? Have they gone up or down? How did the 'special night' move to Studio 60's slot do for it?

Down. The move didn't go well. The show is on the verge of cancellation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, I like the show...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damn.... so do I. I think that it shows teenagers in a far more realistic light than any other drama out there. Then again, perhaps realism isn't in vogue.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I only saw the first episode, but I thought it was quite good as well. I was hoping it'd succeed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How did the 'special night' move to Studio 60's slot do for it?

It helped, but it may not prove to be nearly enough to ultimately save the show.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_8261.asp
“Lights,” which aired in place of a “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” rerun last night, averaged a 3.5 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights. That's not a terrific number, but it's 35 percent better than the 2.6 it pulled in its regular 8 p.m. Tuesday slot last week.

That big boost, of course, came courtesy of lead-in “Heroes,” which hit a new series high of 6.4 last night at 9 p.m. Though “Lights” lost nearly half of that lead-in, 45 percent, it did better than “Strip’s” 3.2 in the same 10 p.m. slot last week.

“Lights” also hit a series high in total viewers with 8.3 million, though the show did dip by more than 15 percent from its first half hour to its second among total viewers and adults 18-49. That came against lighter than usual competition, as CBS’s “CSI: Miami” was a repeat.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

NBC has ordered a full season.

Quote:
NBC GOES THE WHOLE NINE YARDS IN GIVING CRITICALLY HAILED 'FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' A FULL-SEASON ORDER OF EPISODES FOR 2006-07

BURBANK – November 13, 2006 – NBC has given a full-season order for 2006-07 to its critically hailed freshman drama "Friday Night Lights" (Tuesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET), it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"We're proud to reward an authentic, poignant series like 'Friday Night Lights' with a full-season order, demonstrating our confidence in it's appeal and quality," said Reilly. "Television critics and devoted fans have supported the show with well-deserved praise for the executive producers, writers and exceptionally talented cast."

"Friday Night Lights" is averaging a 2.7 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49 and 6.7 million viewers overall with Tuesday originals through November 5. The acclaimed drama delivered 18-49 increases from its first half-hour to its second with each of its first five Tuesday telecasts. On a special Monday, October 30 telecast, "Friday Night Lights" won its
time period among adults 18-34, men 18-34 and men 18-49.

Inspired by the book and the film "Friday Night Lights," NBC's poignant series centers on the small rural town of Dillon, Texas, where the coveted state football championship rings are held in the highest regard. Dillon's promising high school team, its star quarterback, and newly appointed head coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler, "King Kong," "Grey's
Anatomy") continually feel the mounting pressure of the town's pride and honor riding on their shoulders as soon as the Panthers' new football season kicks off.

The strong cast also includes: Scott Porter ("The Bedford Diaries") as the severely injured team captain and first-string quarterback Jason Street; Gaius Charles ("Book of Daniel") as feared running back Brian "Smash" Williams; Taylor Kitsch ("Kyle XY") as running back Tim Riggins;
Connie Britton ("The Brothers McMullen," "24") as Taylor's supportive wife, Tami; Zach Gilford ("The Last Winter") as third-string quarterback Matt Saracen, and Minka Kelly ("What I Like About You") as Lyla Garrity, Panther cheerleader and Street's girlfriend.

Also starring are: Aimee Teegarden ("Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide") as Coach Taylor's daughter, Julie; Adrianne Palicki ("South Beach") as Tyra Collette, and Jesse Plemons ("Grey's Anatomy") as Landry Clarke.

The series is executive-produced by Peter Berg (the film "Friday Night Lights," "The Rundown"), who also wrote and directed the pilot, as well as Brian Grazer ("The Da Vinci Code," "A Beautiful Mind"), Jason Katims ("Roswell"), David Nevins ("Arrested Development," "24") and Sarah Aubrey ("Bad Santa," "The Kingdom"). "Friday Night Lights" is a production of Imagine Television, NBC Universal Television Studio and Film 44.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Can't believe it took them this long to get to a player juicing.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well they had to build up to it .
Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
Huckleberry
College Starter

Yes, it does show the age group more realistically than most shows. Except for the fact that there isn't a single high school student in the State of Texas that says "sleeping with" to refer to sex. That's happened twice on the show so far.

Well, okay, there isn't a single high school student in the State of Texas that says that and hasn't gotten punched.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
Steveski
n00b

Speaking of TV shows. I am now down to watching TV about 2 nights a week. Monday its How I Met Your Mother, The Class, and Two and a Half Men. Thursday's its My Name is Earl and The Office. I hate reality shows, game shows, CSI type shows and any shows about doctors or lawyers. So there it is, 2 nights a week plus the occasion reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond on TBS.

Last edited by Steveski : 11-16-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Steveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

'Two and Half Men' over 'Heroes'? Shame... shame.

I'm "seriously watching" TV shows 4 nights a week. Monday: How I Met Your Mother & Heroes (the occasions Studio 60). Tuesday: Friday Night Lights, House, Boston Legal. Thursday: My Name is Earl (though sometimes I skip that one), The Office. Friday: Battlestar Galactica

Though when HBO puts new episodes of their dramas back on Sundays (Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome), then that day will join the list.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveski View Post
Speaking of TV shows. I am now down to watching TV about 2 nights a week. Monday its How I Met Your Mother, The Class, and Two and a Half Men. Thursday's its My Name is Earl and The Office. I hate reality shows, game shows, CSI type shows and any shows about doctors or lawyers. So there it is, 2 nights a week plus the occasion reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond on TBS.

Good for you. TV rots your brain.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

To add:

I guess I "seriously watch"

Sundays: Simpsons
Monday: Heroes
Tuesday: House
Wednesday: Bones & Lost
Thursday: Earl & The Office
Weekly: Daily Show & Colbert Report

I'll add "Rome" once it's back on.

I just got my first "Battlestar Galactica" DVD from Netflix this week. I will be joyfully catching up with this series. Everyone I know raves about it, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Yes. My brain is thoroughly rotted.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #17
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
'Two and Half Men' over 'Heroes'? Shame... shame.

While I enjoyed "two and a half Men" for a while, I gotta agree that I like Heroes much more.

I watched episode 2 of FNL yesterday night and I'm very glad it's been picked up. I have all of the episodes recorded on DVD and planned on watching them as I find some time, but hearing how it was having a hard time with ratings and with the short order they first had, I was worried I'd started getting into it and be cut short after 8 or 9 episodes...

As for what I watch on TV, there's not too much: Heroes, Friday Night Lights, House, Survivor. Not always in that order though. I stay current with Heroes and Survivor, for spoilers issues. We just started watching House and have been liking it very very much.

FM
Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
Steveski
n00b

Heroes? I have seen the previews but never bothered with it. Seems like a scam of X-Men from the previews but I could be wrong.
Steveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's only perhaps the best drama on TV currently . Or at any rate, only behind Boston Legal and House (HBO dramas are in haitus at the moment and don't count).
Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #20
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
(HBO dramas are in haitus at the moment and don't count).

The Wire! It is a damn good show, better than anything on network tv by far.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't watch The Wire... I'm not into crime dramas.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #22
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The guy playing Matt Saracen is doing a great job with that character. Any scene with him or the coach is gold. The date was hilarious.

"Is that a member's only jacket?"

"You want a beer?"
"No thanks I'm driving."
"I was joking."

"Have you heard good things about the movie?"
"Oh yeah, one of my people recommended it."
"You mean Landry?"
"Yeah........."

"Eragon is sold out."
"Oh, I'm Matt Saracen. QB1."

NBC will be moving FNL to Wednesdays 8:00 Eastern starting January 10.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The guy playing Matt Saracen is doing a great job with that character.

Yep . Without him this show wouldn't be even close to as good. He's just so goofy and when he tried to pull the "QB1" thing, I busted out laughing.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm getting a bit tired of the last second miracle comeback wins, though. Give me a good old fashioned blowout with Matt throwing for six TDs, please.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #25
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm getting a bit tired of the last second miracle comeback wins, though. Give me a good old fashioned blowout with Matt throwing for six TDs, please.
Heh, I was just railing against this after the last episode -- if they were always having to win via last-second comebacks (esp. when the coach calls a run with approx. five seconds left from his own territory), there's no way anyone would be talking about a trip to State.

On the other hand, I'm a little convinced that the coach is the best actor on TV right now, and I really hope he gets an Emmy for his efforts.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #26
Easy Mac

I love the way he treats his daughter/the qb. I am totally watching this before my non-existent daughter turns 15.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #27
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

Well Dillon did have a blowout. Of course they decided not to show any of it. Good to see Saracen is a fan of The Office.

"Yep, the whore with the website."

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:42 AM   #28
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ye the coach and Saracen are fuccin awesome.

"they had a blanket."
LOL that was great.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 AM   #29
Ragone
Pro Rookie

As much as i hate to admit it.. i like the show..

Kinda reminds me of my high school days loosely
Old 12-17-2006, 03:41 AM   #30
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it seems like they don't show the blowouts, but I'd like to see one just to break up the whole 'last second' thing. And who in the world calls a run on the last play of the game when you need over 60 yards or something?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #31
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, it seems like they don't show the blowouts, but I'd like to see one just to break up the whole 'last second' thing. And who in the world calls a run on the last play of the game when you need over 60 yards or something?

Oh but come on, as a certain rb would say "you got the Smash baby, and Smash don't take no for an answer."
Old 12-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #32
Fouts
College Starter

My daughter is 11 and I will probably act the same way as the coach was this last episode, once she gets to high school.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Oh but come on, as a certain rb would say "you got the Smash baby, and Smash don't take no for an answer."

When he said that I was thinking "Please don't rape or beat up the preacher's daughter". With him on steroids now and "don't take no", it seems to be foreshadowing to it.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #34
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Smash Says No means yes!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #35
Icy
Pro Starter

Just started to watch this, already saw 10 episodies in two days and i must admit I'm really enjoying it (had to wait for the subtitles to be released, without them i can understand like 50% of what they say). The only thing that buges me is that they win every game in the last second, too "Dysney" for my taste, but the rest of the show is awesome.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #36
Huckleberry
College Starter

That QB1 thing is irritating me now, too. Dammit we say starting quarterback around here.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #37
Easy Mac

this show just gets better and better
Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #38
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
this show just gets better and better

I agree...they finally got to a point where they are developing characters. Before the story just seemed a bit rushed.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #39
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Finally caught up and I really hope this show can survive.

"I was really worried about you on the field."
"You don't need to worry about me. In a fight I just kinda stand in the back and yell stuff."

Saracen, Landry, the coach and his family. Top notch stuff.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #40
Easy Mac

All it takes is 5 minutes every week, and this show has me. Its just perfect in everything it does.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The coach's wife is a definite MILF
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #42
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The coach's wife is a definite MILF

she is a hottie in my book. Never realized she also played the wife in the movie...

I'm a good four episodes behind, can't seem to find time to make it up, but I keep on recording them and I love every episode I watch...

FM
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #43
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How many of you thought when the camera went missing somehow Matt Sarazen stole it and was going to tape him having sex with Julie?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #44
Easy Mac

It hasn't been ruled out... we can hope. I call dibs.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I dated the coaches daughter in High School and she was nothing like this one. I went to the wrong school
Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #46
Easy Mac

This is brilliant!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #47
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Do you think coach taylor will let Sarazen keep his equipment on while he kicks his ass?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #48
Easy Mac

Just give me a minute, please.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #49
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Riggins is the man! Down that 40!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #50
Dr. Sak