Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Green deal may fall through

I just heard that the DBacks are having a hard time reaching an extension with Green and the deal may get cancelled. Arizona is offering Green the option of a 2-year $18 million extension or have him completely rip up his current deal and sign a new 4-year contract for $32 million (meaning 05 would essentially be free to AZ with the $8 mil coming from LA). Greens want a new 4-year deal at $11 mil.

The Arizona brass flew out to LA to meet with Green but there was no resolution to the extension. The deadline ends in one hour (noon EST) and it doesn't look like either side is going to budge. I would certainly be disappointed to not see Green come to Arizona, but I would be much more upset if the team severly overpaid for Green. It seems the options are:

A - Green agrees to a 2-year extension in the ballpark of $20 million or the 4-year deal @ 8 mil (including 05).
B - Green and the DBacks agree to the deal with no extension (not likely)
C - Green refuses to waive his no trade and Arizona probably signs Burnitz to play RF and keeps Hillenbrand.

My guess is A or C will happen, with it looking more and more like C may be more probable. A question for the LA fans, what would keeping Green do to the Perez deal and the Dodger's payroll? Supposedly, the Perez deal was somewhat contingent on freeing up the $8 million from Green and if Green stays the LA payroll will be over $90 million. Green has also said he won't waive his no-trade without an extension - and I don't see anyone meeting those demands.

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

I predict that when the season starts every player in the league will be on the same team they were on at the end of last season.

Seriously, have their ever been more "done deals" that ended up never happening, in an offseason before?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Bomber
High School Varsity

This trade isn't linked to the Johnson deal at all, right?
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
have him completely rip up his current deal and sign a new 4-year contract for $32 million

Isn't this exactly what the union did not allow in the ARod to BoSox deal? If Green is signed for '05, the union will not let him sign for less for that year than his current deal. I suspect he is signed for more than that in '05.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

16 Mill for 05.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Isn't this exactly what the union did not allow in the ARod to BoSox deal? If Green is signed for '05, the union will not let him sign for less for that year than his current deal. I suspect he is signed for more than that in '05.
Normally it's only if multiple seasons are remaining. Because Green would basically cut the amount in his final year from $16 to $8 mil for 05 as part of a new $32 million deal, I doubt the union would care all that much. I've seen DBacks players in the past take straight pay cuts in their final season without union involvement.

At any rate, it looks like the deal is pretty much dead at this point:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8073687

Last edited by Arles : 01-06-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
jbmagic
Pro Starter

if this dont go true...the dodgers are in trouble

they resign Perez for 24 mil, i bet they assume , Green will be gone
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

If this deal falls through it will be interesting to see what the snakes do with Navarro. They have two (probably) better catching prospects so I assume they would like to deal him but the market for him seems to be drying up. I wouldn't have signed off on the Johnson deal unless I knew that I could ship Navarro.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote