Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Alright boyz, here we go!!! Football Manager 05 First impressions

Howdy all,

I pulled an unintentional all-nighter playing this one. Started last night around 10pm, and the next thing I knew, it was 6am! Just woke up from a few hours sleep.

First impressions:

Really like the interface, easy to move around in
In addition to selecting leagues, you can select players from nations to be included. Didn't see a quick way to select all nations, though
I selected 17 leagues to start with (I've got 2GB of RAM, so not a problem! )
The coaching seems to be much more difficult, especially if you start with a top flight team. I started with Inter Milan, which is in real life is a collection of egos and basket-cases, and I had a hard time getting the morale up of the team. They didn't seem to take seriously an American coach who speaks basic Italian
Definitely new tatics will need to be used. The old trusty Diablo from the last version just doesn't cut it
Can't get Freddy Adu to leave DC United no matter what

That's what I've got to report back so far. If anyone has any questions, or wants me to check out anything, let me know!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

What kind of manual is included with the game? I haven't played CM in a long long time, basically since CM 99, and when I checked out the demo I was confused by a lot of things, including the statistics scale, so hopefully there will be a thorough manual!

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-06-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The manual is your standard fare, explaining the menu options, and that sort of thing. They do go into a little more depth on the on-field tactics, but not too much. It's around 60 pages or so.

After installation, there is a PDF with the instructions for the Data Editor, and it goes into more detail about the different ratings.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

What about the MLS draft?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
What about the MLS draft?

Didn't look for that, I was playing in the Serie A. Lemme see if it is in past news somewhere, or in the history tab of the MLS
Old 11-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Any chane they snuck in the A-League as a last second addition?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Any chane they snuck in the A-League as a last second addition?

Go El Paso Patriots!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

cartman

how do you like this game compare to cm 03/04 which was the best version before?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
cartman

how do you like this game compare to cm 03/04 which was the best version before?

first impressions, I like the 2D match engine more. I also like the increased interactions with the media, like slamming the other team's coach before a game! The assistants on the team can have a bigger role as well, you can ask for a team status report, and it will tell you where weak spots are, as well as who are up and comers.

Still only halfway through a full season, so there is much more to uncover!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

As for the MLS stuff, I don't see anything about the draft. It may not have happened yet, or I didn't turn on enough detail to be able to see it, since I'm not coaching in the MLS. I'd have to start another game to see about the A league, but my current game lists United States (MLS only) as one of the leagues.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is this game newbie user friendly that never play CM or play soccer sim before?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:26 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

For a newbie, it could be overwhelming at first, especially with no knowledge of soccer tactics. The manual assumes you are somewhat familiar with this, so it doesn't go into too much depth.

But there is a huge community of players that can help you out. I'd post questions here in FOFC, as you'd probably get a better response than if you tried the official SI Games board. They can be a bit cruel to footie newbs over there...

Have you downloaded the demo? If not, DL it and kick the tires. The demo gives you 6 months of in-game time to try things out, which is about how far I've made it in my overnight marathon session.

Once you get into it, you'll see why many people consider this the reference sim for any sport. The level of detail and immersion is incredible.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I haven't tried FM5, but I am an avid CM03/04 player. I knew nothing about soccer that my 7th grade soccer coach didn't teach me. I knew/know nothing or next to nothing about the star players. I really don't know the first thing about the different tactical options, beyond the few word descriptions in the manual. All of that, and I am an avid and somewhat successful player.

The interface takes some getting used to, but it isn't bad by a very long shot. The reason it takes some getting used to is because there is so much that the game lets you do. After a month or so of solid play, I found myself discovering little helping features in the interface.

All in all, if you have the least bit of interest in the game, don't cheat yourself by not getting it. It is simply the best of the sports management sims, and they continue to improve the product in such ways that the competition isn't closing the gap.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One thing that I was having trouble finding in the demo was any way to just sim through the game, instead of having to watch it play itself out. Even adjusting the speed didn't seem to appreciably speed it up for me.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
One thing that I was having trouble finding in the demo was any way to just sim through the game, instead of having to watch it play itself out. Even adjusting the speed didn't seem to appreciably speed it up for me.

There is an option, while the match is running, to select Highlight mode. If you don't want to see any 2D stuff, then select Commentary Only.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
There is an option, while the match is running, to select Highlight mode. If you don't want to see any 2D stuff, then select Commentary Only.

There's also freeware called GEAR that you can use to really zip through the match if you just want to get to the result. You still have to make all the coaching changes though.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #17
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Can't get Freddy Adu to leave DC United no matter what

Did you try and tell him about the great keg parties Inter Milan holds?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #18
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I got it a couple of hours ago also and have started up a game as Barca (my traditional first team to play as in CM games).

One cool little thing is that when setting up friendly matches etc. it now gives an estimate of how much cash you'll get from the gate receipts. Also, the big clubs won't accept freindly matches with you unless offer them a fee for turning up.

Oh yeah, and it's fun telling some nobody manager of a random Belgian lower league team that you really respect him. He went into the whole "Oh my gosh!! Really!??" type mode.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
Did you try and tell him about the great keg parties Inter Milan holds?

That started to sway his decision, but once he tasted Peroni and Nastro Azzurro, he decided to stay in DC...

Old 11-06-2004, 11:23 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

this thread is binary code to me. yet i am intrigued.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HOW THE HELL DID YOU PEOPLE GET THE GAME ALREADY!?!?!? I paid for priority shipping from Gamespy...Gamespot (whichever is the UK joint, too lazy to check, just got in from Rome) and it's now 2 days later and I don't have it, and yet it looks like people in Texas do!! WHAT THE HELL!!!! ANGRY MAN HERE!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #22
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Texans always get special treatment. Having the dude at the top helps.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
HOW THE HELL DID YOU PEOPLE GET THE GAME ALREADY!?!?!? I paid for priority shipping from Gamespy...Gamespot (whichever is the UK joint, too lazy to check, just got in from Rome) and it's now 2 days later and I don't have it, and yet it looks like people in Texas do!! WHAT THE HELL!!!! ANGRY MAN HERE!

I had someone pick it up from Duty-Free at Heathrow on Friday, thereby circumventing any shipping delays...

Old 11-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaah. wiseness cartman. I was over in Europe until just today but I couldn't get a satisfactory answer as to if I picked up the game in Italy if I'd have any problems running it over here stateside, so I figured it was best to order it and wait. Anyways, hoping it should be here soon, although I know once it is I'll get NOTHING done. TPB 2005 is killing enough of my days as it is!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #25
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I've been tinkering with the demo. Didn't have much problem getting Adu to sign with Arsenal. Don't know if that was just something different between the demo and the gold.

Anyway, is there a way to control the reserve games and the U-18 games (like you could with the CM3-based games)? Or can you only set the lineup for those and hope your assistant manager is not too terribly idiotic?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:05 AM   #26
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus

Anyway, is there a way to control the reserve games and the U-18 games (like you could with the CM3-based games)? Or can you only set the lineup for those and hope your assistant manager is not too terribly idiotic?
Manger Options --> tick Control (reserve/U18) team.

Edit: This was the same as it was with the CM4 series btw.

Last edited by klayman : 11-08-2004 at 02:09 AM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:57 AM   #27
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Manger Options --> tick Control (reserve/U18) team.

Edit: This was the same as it was with the CM4 series btw.
Oooh. I'm, ahem, excited. But y'all didn't need to know all that.

Thanks, klayman.

I never got CM4 since I'm still waiting to afford a real computer. There's only so much running that little hamster in the wheel inside my computer can manage.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 AM   #28
andy m
High School Varsity

basically FM2005 is CM03/04 with a nice new front end, improved media interaction, some tweaks and a data update. i guess there might be more going on under the hood

still, it's as good as ever
Old 11-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
aaah. wiseness cartman. I was over in Europe until just today but I couldn't get a satisfactory answer as to if I picked up the game in Italy if I'd have any problems running it over here stateside, so I figured it was best to order it and wait. Anyways, hoping it should be here soon, although I know once it is I'll get NOTHING done. TPB 2005 is killing enough of my days as it is!

For PC games, you won't have a problem with games bought in Europe. While I was living in Italy, I bought quite a few PC games and they all ran fine.

Where you run into problems is with Console games. There are two issues. One, is that they region encode the DVDs the games come on, so unless you've got a modded console, the game won't load. The second problem, is even if you have a modded console, the video output is for a different format. NTSC is what North America uses, but there are a few different formats in Europe, variants of either PAL or SECAM.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #30
ArlingtonColt
H.S. Freshman Team

Well, I played through my first MLS season.. I won it all with the Burn and finished 2nd in the MLS cup... I finally got to the MLS draft (Feb 15th) and it seems that all the players were Americans out of contract/or playing in the A-league (you can't pick the teams but they are there). I didn't get to spend much time looking through the list as it was already 4 am and I had to wake up at 7 am.

Also, it seems that I can't offer my players to clubs, is this to stop me from selling Toni Nhleko and getting a real SI striker, or is it an MLS rule? :P
ArlingtonColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #31
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m
basically FM2005 is CM03/04 with a nice new front end, improved media interaction, some tweaks and a data update. i guess there might be more going on under the hood

still, it's as good as ever
The match engine has had a serious overhaul from the looks of it. It looks like a real football match and everything.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #32
scooter
High School Varsity

For those of us in the US that are interested in purchasing FM2005 but don't want to wait for overseas shipping, GoGamer just posted it as in stock. That coupled with their 2-day FedEx shipping means you could have it by the end of this week. They are pricey though at $49.90. Just thought I would pass on the heads-up.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
For those of us in the US that are interested in purchasing FM2005 but don't want to wait for overseas shipping, GoGamer just posted it as in stock. That coupled with their 2-day FedEx shipping means you could have it by the end of this week. They are pricey though at $49.90. Just thought I would pass on the heads-up.

Thank the Lord.

I was wondering what was going on with that, as I put in my order a week or two ago, and it has been consistently "out of stock" since then.

I'll go check my email to see if I have a shipping code from Fed Ex yet.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #34
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Oh man, the game is calling me, but I don't want to spend the money.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:06 PM   #35
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Any good reviews out?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #36
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Any good reviews out?

I went to GameSpot (as that is always the first place I check) and they didn't have a review yet. It seems that they are waiting for the US release as they only have Worldwide Soccer Manager listed. But under there they have their review roundup with scores from other websites. I don't know most of these, but you can check it out yourself:

Eurogamer 9/10
Gamer Archive 9/10
IC-Games 96/100
BBC News Online 9.5/10
Jolt Online Gaming UK 9.1/10
Games Radar UK 90/100
Old 11-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #37
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

Quick question: is it still showing at $49.90 for you? Cause for me, it's now showing at $54.90 Price increasing by the hour, buy now!!!

FM
Old 11-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #38
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe that is in Canadian
Old 11-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #39
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

nah, $49.90 US would show up as $2,568.99 cdn

FM
Old 11-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #40
portnoise
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
nah, $49.90 US would show up as $2,568.99 cdn

FM

Imagine, with how the looney's doing, or more importantly how the US buck is tanking, that these jokes will go out of style soon...

Then again, the classics never die.

Waiting for the game to arrive, ps...
portnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #41
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Quick question: is it still showing at $49.90 for you? Cause for me, it's now showing at $54.90 Price increasing by the hour, buy now!!!

FM

You are correct! I know the price went up from $44.90 to $49.90 some time over the weekend (I had been checking daily to see when it would change from pre-order to in stock). Now it is up to $54.90! I'm glad I didn't sit around considering my purchase for too long. Now I'm just waiting for the email notifying me the order was sent out

Edit: Just checked the email and the notice has arrived! Expected delivery on 11/10. Sweeeet!

Last edited by scooter : 11-08-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

Anyone get one that shipped from Europe yet?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #43
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by portnoise
Imagine, with how the looney's doing, or more importantly how the US buck is tanking, that these jokes will go out of style soon...

Then again, the classics never die.

Waiting for the game to arrive, ps...

Yeah, crazy, can't think of a day that our South neighbours wil not make fun of our dollar. Nah, they'll still make fun of the funny colors we have on our bills

I'm also waiting for the game to arrive. I know it's still way too early, since gameplay shipped from the UK last Wednesday and I picked the regular shipping, but I had some sort of hope today when I checked the mail... *sigh* this is gonna be a long wait...

where did you order from btw?

FM
Old 11-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #44
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is thar $54 figure the final price?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #45
Router Help

For MLS fans there is a thread on the SI boards that lists some of the problems found so far in MLS here: http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...91&m=742204675

Major points seem to be that the trading/transfers are really screwed up and that young players like Adu have unprotected youth contracts so big clubs can just swoop in and steal them away. Adu also can't play until he is 16 in the game.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #46
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Is thar $54 figure the final price?

who knows, it's what they're showing right now... I thought I had seen a starting price of 39.99, but I'm not so sure right now. Even if they started it at 44.90, they've already increased it twice in a matter of days if not hours...

Compared to gameplay and their £24.99+£4.95 S/H for a total of £29.94, they are coming in a bit more expensive. £29.94 comes to about $55.54, but that's with shipping included. Sure, shipping delay may be a bit longer when going overseas...

FM
Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 PM   #47
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*grin* it's fun to get in a media war

Me and DC United's new manager (they fired their starting one after a poor start to the season) got into it into the press.

We traded barbs back and forth as we entered our Conference Semifinal series.

I trumped his cry that he doubted I had the skill to be a MLS manager (hello, you jackass, we just won the Supporter's shield).. by taking it public that I considered him a boob and a moron.

He tried to fight back then I hit him with the knockout blow, that DC was going to crash and burn, watching them go down to defeat was so much fun that it might soften the blow if we fail to win the cup

Then when it came time for the game, we kicked their heiney 3-0 (won the series 4-1 after a 1-1 draw in DC), and I got the last word, stating we had tactically outclassed DC.

Love it.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:57 PM   #48
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Anyone get one that shipped from Europe yet?

From what I read from SirFozzie's comment, I'd assume he has it, from gameplay iirc...

FM
Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I read from SirFozzie's comment, I'd assume he has it, from gameplay iirc...

FM

I cannot confirm or deny possession of the game.

You fill in the blank.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and now you tell me this cartman. after i'm back from Italy. Oh well, hopefully mine gets here within the next couple days.