Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Talking For sale: NOTHING

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2933240866

The current bid is $5.50. Anyone here willing to go higher?

stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:14 AM   #2
neofied
Banned

Anyone willing to take bets on how long it will take for eBay to pull that auction?

Actually, I'm surprised they didn't stop it already. Than again, maybe that doesn't violate their TOS.
neofied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:23 AM   #3
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I am not sure why it would violate the terms of service. There is certainly nothing dishonest about it.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:42 AM   #4
neofied
Banned

That's a very good point. I guess eBay figures if anyone is dumb enough to do it, so be it.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:20 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

There was a very well known scam* ran in the Times newspaper in England many years ago.

An advert was posted in the style of a slimming advert claiming no more than that people would "Lose five pounds" if they sent in £5 to the address in the article - apparently around 50,000 people did so and found their £5 cheques duly cashed .... with nothing forthcoming to them.

They lost their £5 and had no comeback because there was nothing false in the claim that was made.

* This may or may not be a urban myth as I have seen nothing that indicates this is a 'real' occurance - but I thought it was a funny idea anyway so worth posting
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:30 AM   #6
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
There was a very well known scam* ran in the Times newspaper in England many years ago.

An advert was posted in the style of a slimming advert claiming no more than that people would "Lose five pounds" if they sent in £5 to the address in the article - apparently around 50,000 people did so and found their £5 cheques duly cashed .... with nothing forthcoming to them.

They lost their £5 and had no comeback because there was nothing false in the claim that was made.

* This may or may not be a urban myth as I have seen nothing that indicates this is a 'real' occurance - but I thought it was a funny idea anyway so worth posting

Well, seeing how you guys don't use pounds for weight I'd say it's likely an urban myth but it is a funny one.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's really funny!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Well, at least there's no shipping.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #9
neofied
Banned

It's up to $13.50. I figured nothing would be worth more than that. Than again, there's 10+ hours left.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:05 AM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon
Well, seeing how you guys don't use pounds for weight I'd say it's likely an urban myth but it is a funny one.

They have not always been on the metric system, and from listening to a lot of radio on the Internet from the UK, there are still plenty of references in everyday life to non-metric measurements.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 01:28 AM   #11
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I thought about bidding, but I the seller doesn't have any kind of a seller rating. I can't be sure that he will really ship me nothing.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 AM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by stkelly52
I thought about bidding, but I the seller doesn't have any kind of a seller rating. I can't be sure that he will really ship me nothing.

That's funny shit!

I noticed that in the last 12 hours an additional 2000 people have viewed the listing. The total is above 14 bucks.

This may be better than the "ass whooping" auction a couple years back.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:41 AM   #13
neofied
Banned

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to sell prostitution/gigolo services over eBay. You could post a picture, describe your offerings, and watch the bids roll in or not.

I'm sure that eBay wouldn't allow that though, since in most places that is against the law.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:52 AM   #14
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
What about the guy selling his family? I wonder how the Department of Labor would feel about that. Oh and as for the nothing, I bid $50.00, oh wait. This isnt Ebay.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:55 AM   #15
neofied
Banned

The guy could sell his family. He just has to pay them minimum wage. Or does he? What does the law say about family business and wages?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:04 AM   #16
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Well, technically since a marriage is a contract, because of the breach of the contract, doesnt the guy have to pay at least $500.00 to the family ?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:07 AM   #17
neofied
Banned

At least $500, plus damages.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:12 AM   #18
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Don't forget the 50% contingency fee for the lawyer !
Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 AM   #19
neofied
Banned

So in the end the family ends up with absolutely nothing.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:23 AM   #20
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Yes, God bless our legal system !
Old 06-12-2003, 03:24 AM   #21
neofied
Banned

Wait a second, maybe the family is the one responsible for this current auction. And they're selling what they ended up with.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:27 AM   #22
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Here's another scenario.

The guy is selling is family... ok, that leads to a large lawsuit and possibly a legal action pursued by the Department of Labor and huge scrutiny from the good old media. After the guy realizes he cant pay and cant win the legal action, he goes to jail. He sells his soul for bagels and gives them to the guards and the Warden. The Warden decides he isnt as bad as he looks and sends the guy to a Federal Penitentiary where he spends the rest of his life with Eric Rudolph.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:18 AM   #23
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon

We don't?

Food is now sold with metric measurements because it is against EU law to sell food using any other measurement. However, people tend not to pay much attention to the EU and their "correct curvature of a banana" style laws.

I know my weight and height in pounds and feet, but I could not begin to work out my weight and height using the metric system.

On our roads we use miles (not KM), and we measure car economy in miles per gallon.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:54 AM   #24
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan S
We don't?

Food is now sold with metric measurements because it is against EU law to sell food using any other measurement. However, people tend not to pay much attention to the EU and their "correct curvature of a banana" style laws.

I know my weight and height in pounds and feet, but I could not begin to work out my weight and height using the metric system.

On our roads we use miles (not KM), and we measure car economy in miles per gallon.

Good to know relocation wasn't too hard on the Zippys (that you did not toss aside like some kind of candy wrapper.)
Old 06-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #25
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Good to know relocation wasn't too hard on the Zippys (that you did not toss aside like some kind of candy wrapper.)

You will be glad to hear that Chris Johnson is just about to sign a new contract which will keep him here for at least another 3 years.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote