Oregon St. v. #5 Washington - 6:30
#2 Ohio St. v. Penn St. - 8 PM
#23 Ole Miss v. #25 LSU - 9 PM
Washington St. v. Arizona St. - 10 PM

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

South Carolina, in the midst of a season where they will struggle to reach a bowl, is preparing to burn the redshirt of QB Jake Bentley and start him against UMass on Saturday. In a season where they have already blown through another true freshman QB, heralded two-sport recruit Brandon McIlwain, whose mom got into a twitter fight with a newspaper writer this week.

Muschamp already making SCAR fun half a year in.

Can NC State challenge Louisville after last week's huge miss at Clemson? I'm guessing no.

2 fringe top 25 matchups among SEC teams... will any of them drop out of the top-25 if they lose?

Ohio State-Penn State will be a slaughter. Penn State just isn't good enough to make that a game.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina gets a bit of a breather this week as Central Connecticut State visits Conway. Will be a bit of a surprise if they can keep it close.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa hosting the bad guys this week. This is a must win for both. Loser is out of the hunt.

Go Hawks!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Washington St.-ASU should be fun, considering all the talk this week about "sign stealing".

Washington St. is better than people are giving them credit for, and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being the ones to end Wazzu's perfect season.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Washington St.-ASU should be fun, considering all the talk this week about "sign stealing".

Washington St. is better than people are giving them credit for, and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being the ones to end Wazzu's perfect season.
Wazzu already ended their perfect season in game 1 when they fell to Eastern Washington.

I think you meant "U-Dub" - "Wazzu" is the shorthand for Washington State (W-S-U), not Washington.

And yes, that game ranks with the USC game as one of the biggest threats to the Huskies staying perfect on the regular season.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, I did mean UW. Thanks.

Although if you want to list them as having followed through with the threat of ending their own perfect season, that's fine too.

Last edited by Butter : 10-20-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It pains me to say it, but WSU is pretty good this year. Their passing attack is effective and they've really improved their running game. Their defense is also surprisingly good.

They're thin though. If they lose Barber, their NT, they don't have a good replacement on the DL. And they are cavalier about concussions - Falk has had a few and Leach has rushed him back. If their OL can't keep him upright - especially this time of year as the weather gets colder and the turf gets harder - he could take a blow that does him in enough that even Leach can't in good conscience put him back in.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It pains me to say it, but WSU is pretty good this year. Their passing attack is effective and they've really improved their running game. Their defense is also surprisingly good.

It's funny that Leach had been giving Holgorsen so much shit for running the ball and it's Leach that's followed his footsteps and is stepping up the running game and focusing more on defense.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #11
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
South Carolina, in the midst of a season where they will struggle to reach a bowl, is preparing to burn the redshirt of QB Jake Bentley and start him against UMass on Saturday. In a season where they have already blown through another true freshman QB, heralded two-sport recruit Brandon McIlwain, whose mom got into a twitter fight with a newspaper writer this week.

Muschamp already making SCAR fun half a year in.
I was wondering why you included that travesty of a game... I still like Whipple & don't think we could get a better coach at the salaries we pay, and we are playing like 3.5 seniors total, but he needs to modify his offense a little. Keeps running longer-developing pro-style plays and we don't have the line for that.

(PS you forgot to mention that Bentley's dad is on staff at USCe... Key quote from McIlwain's mom - "Obviously, any quarterback will shine against UMass who has given up over 400 yards a week passing. It's a total set-up to justify making the switch to the coach's son.”) Ma'am, that may be true, but it still hurts!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I was wondering why you included that travesty of a game... I still like Whipple & don't think we could get a better coach at the salaries we pay, and we are playing like 3.5 seniors total, but he needs to modify his offense a little. Keeps running longer-developing pro-style plays and we don't have the line for that.

(PS you forgot to mention that Bentley's dad is on staff at USCe... Key quote from McIlwain's mom - "Obviously, any quarterback will shine against UMass who has given up over 400 yards a week passing. It's a total set-up to justify making the switch to the coach's son.”) Ma'am, that may be true, but it still hurts!

Actually UMASS has only allowed 1 400 yard passer this year.

Also Bentley is supposed to be a senior in high school this year. But he dropped out of school in Alabama when his dad left Aubrn in December and never re-enrolled in school in SC. SC High School athletic league ruled him ineligible because he was behind in credit hours. So he GED'd....uhh home
school tested out of high school and enrolled a year early at SC.

Jake aint a bad kid. Ive known him since he was ...9?...but he isnt program savior either.

Then again McIlwain was this year's savior already. After Lorenzo Nunez was last years savior.

This musical chair QB rotation and ripping young guys on and out sure feels a lot like Florida all over again.

The Gamebus is crashing in slow motion and its glorious to watch
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
dzilla77
High School Varsity

VT takes care of Miami pretty easily. Looks like the U is not back.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

BYU has 2 pick 6s. And lead Boise St. 17-14 with about 3 minutes left in 1st half.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
tarcone
Coordinator

And its been crazy. Blocked FG by BYU.
BYU tries a fake punt on 4th and long from their 3 yard line. Failed miserably. BYU holds. And Boise misses FG.

Crazy game

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #16
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Boise St couldnt be trying any harder to lose at this point. Should be up 3 tds.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:46 AM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And its been crazy. Blocked FG by BYU.
BYU tries a fake punt on 4th and long from their 3 yard line. Failed miserably. BYU holds. And Boise misses FG.

Crazy game

Man, I hate to criticize my Cougs, but that was one poorly coached game. Part of growing with a new, inexperienced staff, but geez fellas.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

I watched much of the 2nd quarter of this game. That fake punt from your own 3 on 4th and 20 was some crazy shit. Like "I question your judgment on all things from here on out" crazy. But it didn't end up hurting them.

And the first pick 6 was an amazing runback.

Sorry that I couldn't stay up and see the ending, also sounds nuts. BYU is a good team, they have played so many close games.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Man, I hate to criticize my Cougs, but that was one poorly coached game. Part of growing with a new, inexperienced staff, but geez fellas.

Taysom Hill is such a difficult QB to tackle. He is like a fullback playing QB. Always been impressed by his running ability.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Taysom Hill is such a difficult QB to tackle. He is like a fullback playing QB. Always been impressed by his running ability.

He was truly dynamic at one point. Injuries have taken their toll and he lacks that burst now, but still well above average. I think his struggles this year throwing lie largely in trouble adjusting to the new passing scheme. Anae had a much simpler passing scheme, where he was able to throw the ball after receivers came free, while Detmer's scheme relies on precise routes and reads and requires a QB to throw much more to space before the receiver has even made his cut.

I think Mangum will excel in this scheme next year, just fits his skill set better than Taysom.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa throws a one yard pass on 4th and 2. Incomplete. Wow.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #22
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Wisconsin should be up by at least 2 TD.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At the rate things are going for Texas today, I suspect Charlie Strong will get a "vote of confidence" from the administration shortly.

Maybe even before the game ends.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #24
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At the rate things are going for Texas today, I suspect Charlie Strong will get a "vote of confidence" from the administration shortly.

Maybe even before the game ends.

I really like Strong, but this looks like an unsalvageable situation. I would guess Tom Hermann is their next coach and Strong lands somewhere as a coordinator before getting another chance like he did at Louisville.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #25
Jas_lov
College Starter

Kirk Ferentz just kicked a FG down by 8 with 5 minutes left. You need a touchdown, idiot. And of course the kicker missed the fg.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #26
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rutgers is up by 1 with 4 minutes left. Who woulda knew?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #27
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Screwing up one of my lock picks and one of my parlays.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #28
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Gophers fans.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #29
lungs
Pro Rookie

Well, tarcone, we got you this year. Guess the road team has been better lately, no?

Go Wisconsin!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Actually UMASS has only allowed 1 400 yard passer this year.
Yah, most teams are too busy running out the clock in the 2nd half (though we have had the fortune of playing two of the worst P5 offenses in Florida & BC.) Sorry we couldn't pull out the late victory & continue the Cocks downward spiral! Bentley looked solid, threw some nice deep balls, no picks. (& probably another 100 yards we saved with blatant DPI's that won't show up in his stats.)

Btw, are those cock crows new? I don't really recall them being that annoying. Didn't think an SEC fanbase could outdo Mississippi State & their cowbells.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #31
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Anyone who had seen Mitch Leidner play or Tracy Claeys coach.

It's a bit disappointing in a way since a loss likely would have sealed Claeys' fate, now we have to continue to worry that he'll be brought back for next season.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #32
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Anyone who had seen Mitch Leidner play or Tracy Claeys coach.

It's a bit disappointing in a way since a loss likely would have sealed Claeys' fate, now we have to continue to worry that he'll be brought back for next season.

What's the issue with Claeys? He took over in a tough spot last year, won a bowl game, and this year has the team at 5-2 with the losses being 3 points in OT at PSU and 7 points at home against Iowa. Should easily finish the season with 7 wins, maybe 8, and the recruiting looks like he'll continue the good run that Jerry Kill started.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #33
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
What's the issue with Claeys? He took over in a tough spot last year, won a bowl game, and this year has the team at 5-2 with the losses being 3 points in OT at PSU and 7 points at home against Iowa. Should easily finish the season with 7 wins, maybe 8, and the recruiting looks like he'll continue the good run that Jerry Kill started.

There's a reason they only gave him a 3 year contract last year.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #34
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Alabama is making the #6 team in the country look like a directional school
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I probably dislike much of the targeting rules as much as anybody you'll find but -- like 'em or not -- I figure it's in my best interest as a fan to understand them.

So am I nuts here or did the officials AND the replay officials both botch the call on the A&M kick return? (the one where the Bama defender basically annihilated the returner)

Anncrs said that the replay office in B'ham said targeting did not apply because the returner "was not defenseless". Fine enough ... except that's the wrong rule best I can tell.

The defenseless player scenario applies to contact to the neck or head with "the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder". Okay, so not defenseless so that isn't a foul.

But what about the other part of the rule, which prohibits contact to with the crown of the helmet? It says nothing about the defenseless player, it's the use of the helmet itself that's the penalty. Just a week or so ago the NCAA clarified the meaning of "crown", saying it's anything above the facemask, not just the very top portion.

So, missed call there ... right?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a reason they only gave him a 3 year contract last year.

The reason is he never should have been hired in the first place, but they didn't have a full time AD in place in time to hire anyone else. He should still be viewed as an interim coach and showing himself to be one of the dumbest game and clock managers in the country shows he shouldn't get the job.

A win against a MAC team after a 5-7 season, starting off the year with a few wins in an easy schedule against competition that's 2-14 against power 5 teams, and putting together the worst recruiting class in the conference really isn't enough to give him the full time job
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Alabama is making the #6 team in the country look like a directional school

There are reasons that I seriously considered ranking Bama #1, Ohio State 2, and Michigan 3 ... and then skipping down to some number in the teens before ranking anyone else.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #38
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay, I probably dislike much of the targeting rules as much as anybody you'll find but -- like 'em or not -- I figure it's in my best interest as a fan to understand them.

So am I nuts here or did the officials AND the replay officials both botch the call on the A&M kick return? (the one where the Bama defender basically annihilated the returner)

Anncrs said that the replay office in B'ham said targeting did not apply because the returner "was not defenseless". Fine enough ... except that's the wrong rule best I can tell.

The defenseless player scenario applies to contact to the neck or head with "the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder". Okay, so not defenseless so that isn't a foul.

But what about the other part of the rule, which prohibits contact to with the crown of the helmet? It says nothing about the defenseless player, it's the use of the helmet itself that's the penalty. Just a week or so ago the NCAA clarified the meaning of "crown", saying it's anything above the facemask, not just the very top portion.

And the WVU game just had an absolutely awful targeting call that stood after review.

EDIT: Receiver jumped to catch the ball on a short out and as he was falling down the CB's forearm and shoulder go into the the shoulder of the receiver on the ground, who's head hits the turf as the CB's shoulder slides off the shoulder into the helmet area. But since his head was jarred by the turf and a shoulder touched the helmet he was ejected and got a 15 yard penalty.

Last edited by Atocep : 10-22-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #39
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The reason is he never should have been hired in the first place, but they didn't have a full time AD in place in time to hire anyone else. He should still be viewed as an interim coach and showing himself to be one of the dumbest game and clock managers in the country shows he shouldn't get the job.

A win against a MAC team after a 5-7 season, starting off the year with a few wins in an easy schedule against competition that's 2-14 against power 5 teams, and putting together the worst recruiting class in the conference really isn't enough to give him the full time job

Who rated it the worst class, and doesn't being the interim coach for half the year give legitimate cause for the recruiting ratings to be down a bit? The rankings I've seen have them between 8-10 in the conference where there are 5-6 teams that will always out recruit Minnesota based on reputation alone.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #40
lungs
Pro Rookie

I think there was legitimate hope going into last year that Minnesota was turning its program around. Even watching from one state over I think Gopher fans are rightly disappointed with the past two years.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #41
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

aTm doing work. Feeling good about the +18 on them.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

You are dead on Jon. I was screaming at the tv the instant the hit happened that it was high and to the head with the crown. This wasn't a "this might be a targeting penalty" this was, GOOD BYE, YOUR GAME IS OVER.

Of course, later on A&M loses a player for the rule.

They did this in a UCLA game earlier this year. "He's not a "defenseless" player" No, that's garbage and that isn't the way the rule is written.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #43
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

WMU looking good for this year's undefeated team that nobody gives a crap about. Nice run so far, I've got a bit of interest as it's my sister's alma mater, and this year is the first time they've been ranked. Ever.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #44
TroyF
Coordinator

CU beats Stanford and they are now bowl eligible. (and they have a damned good chance of winning the south) What a turn around.

The announcer in the game at one point made a verbal blunder and said "wait, I'm not from West Virginia" and corrected himself. Dude, PC is a thing, you might want to be careful.

CU is home vs UCLA, @ Arizona, home vs Wash St and Utah and then a potential PAC12 championship and a bowl game. They have a very real shot at 10 wins this year. In the three seasons before this, they had exactly 10 wins.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #45
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Btw, are those cock crows new? I don't really recall them being that annoying. Didn't think an SEC fanbase could outdo Mississippi State & their cowbells.

No, they're not new.

Yes, they are heavy handed with them.

Yes, they are really annoying.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My child has more ambience for tonight's Ole Miss at LSU game, but I have cheaper concessions, shorter lines, (literally) miles better parking situation & a short queue for the restrooms. I think I'm the winner in that deal.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yes, that's his first road game as a college student.

Yes, this adventure has been the single most stressful & worrisome to me in 18+ years of parenting. At least now I can turn my attention to worrying about things like "will his car still be there when he leaves", "will he get mugged getting to said car", etc etc.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #48
tarcone
Coordinator

Relax and embrace the adventure. Even you survived.

Iowa's offense is pretty dreadful

Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's official.. Mizzou sucks!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Relax and embrace the adventure. Even you survived.

I did stupid stuff on a smaller scale than he tends to.

(Prior to this I'd say his Scouting trip to sail in the Keys was the pinnacle of worry. This has topped that)