Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #1
Cornhuskerly
n00b

Thumbs up Class of 2006 Revisited: Baseball Season

Well, the people have spoken--by an insane margin of three to one (at the present time), my comeback to FOFC has been mandated. I haven't played any game since I left you a few months ago--I bought TDCB, but that wasn't great. In lieu of these text-sim games, I return to my real-life dynasty as a freshman at Muncie Central High School. The main goals of this dynasty are to excel at sports, get good grades, and maintain a good social life.

The tennis (fall) and swimming (winter) seasons are over, and we now proceed to my first love--baseball. Baseball is the premier spring sport at MC, so it's great to be a part of it, even though varsity is always extremely hard to get onto. I start my journey on the freshman team, along with 16 other classmates.

We're nearing the end of the third quarter school-wise, with spring break starting at the end of the week. My grades are low-90s and a couple of high "A"s. To combat this obvious evidence of dorkiness, I am determined to do all of the things associated with being a jock in high school--play sports, play sports very well, and get a girlfriend. I have varsity letters in tennis and swimming already, and I'm just one away from the letter jacket; this is a very important step in athletic progress.

This is just starting the thread, and I hope to update this frequently. Go Cats!

Cornhuskerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
Cornhuskerly
n00b

School--Background

Here's a brief overview of my school day:
[list=1][*]Band (Easy)[*]Geometry (Mid-hard)[*]Career Info/Study Skills (Easy)[*]French (Easy)[*]Lunch[*]Biology (Mid-hard)[*]English (Hard)[*]World History and Civilization (Mid-Easy)[/list=1]

As you can see, the beginning to my day is very easy, but after lunch it really picks up. School ends at 3:05; baseball practice is either from 3:30-5:30 or 5:30-7:30.

Upcoming Event

The winter sports banquet is Wednesday night. I don't expect to collect an award for my terrible swimming ability, but you never know. Our team had a record year, going 6-4 to bring home the first winning record in some time for the swimming team. Although I improved dramatically, I am still nowhere near the caliber of the other athletes on the team.

Upcoming Event

This is a double-whammy in English class: I present my final project over the Romeo and Juliet unit and have a book report due Friday. This could get very interesting; as of right now, I have a 90.1% in that class. Truly as clutch as you can get in high school academics. Of course, I probably shouldn't be wasting my time on FOFC when I could be reading page 4 of my 300-page book, but I have enough faith in myself to know that I can blow away enough time as I want and still get good grades .

The cool people of my class are running a huge betting event for the upcoming NCAA tournament. I don't have much money to spend after buying WSB 2k3 (very good game), but I'll see what I can work out.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
Cornhuskerly
n00b

Tuesday, March 18

School Highlites
  • French test; mediocre performance
  • Watched Darwin movie in biology
  • English presentation--went well, no grade yet

Baseball practice was from 5:30-7:30; worked on infielding skills and hit for a few minutes. Hoping for starting position in the infield; no lineup has been set as of right now. Tomorrow I'm off due to the winter sports banquet.

Overall rating: 6/10
Old 03-18-2003, 08:44 PM   #4
cranes74us
n00b

hey man i'm reading i like this idea
Old 03-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
Cornhuskerly
n00b

cranes74us: Thanks for the reply; I figured that the board could use a dynasty write-up that was actually real. I'm glad to get support, especially since nothing's really happened yet. When the season picks up, it will hopefully get a little bit more interesting.

I'll do today's write-up after the winter sports banquet.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
sooner333
College Starter

You guys wear the letter jackets? I think Norman High and Norman North must be the only schools where the "popular" athletes wouldn't be caught dead in their letter jackets. I'm going to get mine for tennis, but mainly to remember high school.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
Cornhuskerly
n00b

sooner333- yes, letter jackets are definately the cool thing at MCHS. People wear them around school, to football/basketball games, etc...the band program has also introduced "band letter jackets", which needless to say are failing miserably due to a high nerd concentration (by the way, I'm not trying to knock on band itself--it's probably my "best" subject right now; as a freshman, I got a division I in the state-wide solo & ensemble contest, which doesn't happen too often. It's very boring though).

According to the plan, I'll get my letter jacket after the 2003 tennis season; you need three varsity letters, and I'll have two after tonight.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
Cornhuskerly
n00b

Here's what happened I last checked in:

- Got a varsity letter for swimming
- Won "Most Improved" for swimming
- Turned in essays, other homework to end up nine-week grading period

This is where the "dynasty" will pick up: the fourth grading period. Our games start relatively soon, but already there's a fierce battle raging for every infield position on the freshman team. Will I be dubbed the future of Muncie Central? Or will I warm the bench?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Cornhuskerly
n00b

Today we had a practice from 11-1. The team policy for vacationing on spring break is that if you leave, you drop to the bottom of the depth chart until you've made up for the ground you lose. I, along with about half of the team, stayed here. We took batting practice, which went pretty well. I didn't miss a single pitch (not much of an accomplishment, but still something to work with) and really got ahold of two pitches. I was one of the better hitters there today.

We also worked on bunt defense, which went well also. I only misplayed one ball. I'm competing with my good friend Kevin for the second base job; the loser will either go to the outfield or maybe even another infield spot. Our class is full of tall, slow, power hitters. Our most athletic player might start at shortstop, but that is still another possibility. I'm 5'11", 180, so I'll be able to cover ground at shortstop, but I'm really not fast at all.

We're off tomorrow, and Monday we practice from 10:30-12:30. The varsity is playing an intra-squad game Monday at about three, and they might ask a couple of the freshmen to come back to play. I doubt I'll be one of them, but there's still an opportunity.

Since spring break doesn't officially start until Monday (by my book), I'm using today and tomorrow to waste all of my time on the computer & Xbox. I started an unsuccessfull Devil Rays dynasty on World Series baseball and I've played both hearts and euchre for hours. Once we get into the week, I'll be more active as far as working out and not being lazy goes.

The NCAA tournament this year is no fun...most of the upsets are against teams like Creighton and Dayton. The best one so far IMO has been Butler's win, but I've always been a Butler fan since they're in-state. IU plays tomorrow, so there might be a social gathering in the works. Key popularity points could be gained, depending on the amount of girls and nudity at the gathering.

I might check in again if I get bored before the night is over...for now, I'll play hearts and wait for something to happen.