Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Another Help me buy a Laptop Thread

I know, computer threads pop up every other day, but I need help, so here goes.

I am looking for a laptop computer. I would prefer it to be able to run most games comfortably, but it does not have to be top of the line. I would also prefer a longer battery life. Any suggestions on where to go? What to buy? What else I want? Price, as long as it is reasonable, is not an issue.

Edit to add these questions: What is a powerful processor for a laptop. I have read some reccommedations that say a 1.4 Ghz is fine. Also, how much video memory should I have?

Thanks ahead of time,
wbatl1

Last edited by wbatl1 : 07-21-2005 at 06:10 PM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

no Hewlett-Packard. that is my main advice.

if you are looking at gaming, watch the amount of memory and that it isn't too low for your liking, because most likely the video memory will be taken from that too.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Good to see you spelled laptop right. Other(s) couldn't.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I've read in previous threads that battery life is primarily linked to your processor. The more powerful of a processor you have, the less battery life you get. Not sure what thread I read that in or who posted it.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
I've read in previous threads that battery life is primarily linked to your processor. The more powerful of a processor you have, the less battery life you get. Not sure what thread I read that in or who posted it.

Nows when I show my idiocy. What is a powerful processor for a laptop. I have read some reccommedations that say a 1.4 Ghz is fine. Also, how much video memory should I have?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Hurst2112
College Starter

If you can get video memory that is NOT shared, that would be a bonus.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Philliesfan980
Banned

If you can fork out around $1,400, get a Sager. You'll get a nice Pentium M (don't be fooled by the 2.1 Ghz, it runs much faster than that), and will be great on the battery.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
If you can fork out around $1,400, get a Sager. You'll get a nice Pentium M (don't be fooled by the 2.1 Ghz, it runs much faster than that), and will be great on the battery.

Again, I am clueless. Is Sager the name of a brand? the name of a specific computer within a brand? I googled them and got a website that looks like it just has parts to electronics. $1400 is in my price range, and I would like to look at the Sager. Thanks for the help
Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Nows when I show my idiocy. What is a powerful processor for a laptop. I have read some reccommedations that say a 1.4 Ghz is fine. Also, how much video memory should I have?

Part of this answer lies in the type of processor - the primary difference between the Pentium M processors and the regular Pentium 4's is that the M's are designed for laptops, i.e. they run cooler and suck up less juice. This gives you the twin benefits of it's less likely your laptop breaks down on you due to overheating and your batteries will run longer. As someone else mentioned, the GHz rating is somewhat misleading on them, as I'm pretty sure I've read that (for example) a Pentium M rated at 1.5 GHz will run faster than a Pentium 4 rated at 1.5 GHz.

As for a recommendation on brands for laptops, I've heard bad things about H-P (besides from Cringer), heard good things about Toshiba (and confirmed thus far by family members) and have had no issues so far with my Dell.

Regarding video memory, just how kickass of a gaming machine are you looking for?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Again, I am clueless. Is Sager the name of a brand? the name of a specific computer within a brand? I googled them and got a website that looks like it just has parts to electronics. $1400 is in my price range, and I would like to look at the Sager. Thanks for the help

Go to www.pctorque.com and price out either a 3880 or a 4881
Old 07-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Regarding video memory, just how kickass of a gaming machine are you looking for?

Just enough to run most games fairly well. I don't need to run the most system intense games at the highest level, I just want to be able to play them. Also, I have also read stuff about the Pentium M, and am looking at it as my processor of choice. Thanks Again
Old 07-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just enough to run most games fairly well. I don't need to run the most system intense games at the highest level, I just want to be able to play them. Also, I have also read stuff about the Pentium M, and am looking at it as my processor of choice. Thanks Again

What kinds of games? Ones that are 3D intensive like Half-Life 2?

Any kind of game that runs in a 3D environment is going to be far more video intensive than ones that don't. That said, most of these games have options to scale the video output of the game to match your card - if you don't have the latest and greatest 3D card, you can tone down the screen resolution, texture detail, lighting complexity, etc. to allow the game to run at optimum speeds on your system.

I got a 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra in my laptop, which is the highest-end card Dell installs in their laptops. This card is sufficient (along with a lot of memory and a fast processor) to run pretty much any current 3D shooter at a pretty high level of detail. However, be aware of a few things - the amount of memory on a video card isn't the only means to judge performance - for example, the 256MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE is a faster (and more expensive) card than the 256MB GeForce I have. Video card memory is only part of the equation - just as important is the video chip being used on the card.

You can check Tom's Hardware Guide to see benchmarks on video cards to get an idea on how the latest and greatest cards compare.

If you're planning on playing the latest 3D shooter games, you'll probably want to swing for the top-end cards the laptop manufacturers are offering as options, and there's a good chance they'll only be offering those high-end 3D cards on their high-end laptops, so keep that in mind when you're shopping.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 AM   #13
Comey
College Starter

Dell has a deal on their Inspiron 9300, which is a Media Center PC. It's got $750 off; I think the base model is at $1400 right now. I tweaked mine up to $1800 and got that.

-John

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Dude, I got a Dell.

It sucks.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:43 AM   #15
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Dude, I got a Dell.

It sucks.

People say that about gateway computers too. Though, I have had mine for 3 years and haven't had any problems with it. Bulky as all hell, but considering its my main Windows PC, it has stood up to the challenge.

I wouldn't get one again though. hehe
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #16
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
What kinds of games? Ones that are 3D intensive like Half-Life 2?

Any kind of game that runs in a 3D environment is going to be far more video intensive than ones that don't. That said, most of these games have options to scale the video output of the game to match your card - if you don't have the latest and greatest 3D card, you can tone down the screen resolution, texture detail, lighting complexity, etc. to allow the game to run at optimum speeds on your system.

I got a 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra in my laptop, which is the highest-end card Dell installs in their laptops. This card is sufficient (along with a lot of memory and a fast processor) to run pretty much any current 3D shooter at a pretty high level of detail. However, be aware of a few things - the amount of memory on a video card isn't the only means to judge performance - for example, the 256MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE is a faster (and more expensive) card than the 256MB GeForce I have. Video card memory is only part of the equation - just as important is the video chip being used on the card.

You can check Tom's Hardware Guide to see benchmarks on video cards to get an idea on how the latest and greatest cards compare.

If you're planning on playing the latest 3D shooter games, you'll probably want to swing for the top-end cards the laptop manufacturers are offering as options, and there's a good chance they'll only be offering those high-end 3D cards on their high-end laptops, so keep that in mind when you're shopping.

Thanks very much for the help. I don't plan on playing intense 3-D games a whole lot, so I've decided I'll opt for a lower level card. Also, thanks for the Heads ups to Tom's Guide, it was very helpful. Again, thanks to all who helped and offered suggestions.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Thanks very much for the help. I don't plan on playing intense 3-D games a whole lot, so I've decided I'll opt for a lower level card. Also, thanks for the Heads ups to Tom's Guide, it was very helpful. Again, thanks to all who helped and offered suggestions.

I'd stay away from the Sagers then. Alot of what you'll be paying for is the video card.