Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 AM   #1
Scholes
High School Varsity

Euro Soccer News: Viera to Juventus

Looks like this has been confirmed. For (unofficially) 15 million Euros. As a United fan I can only say that this is a good thing, although he is one hell of a player and I'll miss watching him regularly (don't get a lot of Serie A matches around here.)

Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #2
daedalus
Pro Rookie

If this is true, then it's insane. 15M Euros (if my understanding is correct ~11M GBP?), while no chump change, is ridiculous for someone of Vieira's class. Not to mention selling him after this past season, one of his weaker, is borderline retardation. Especially without Vieira himself flirting with other teams (as he has in the past).

Hopefully, this re-opens the door for the Mascherano move from River Plate.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:26 AM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd be shocked if Arsenal do sell him - especially for such a paltry amount ...

(on a side topic though I expect them to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips at some point this year, Shauns a loyal player and Arsenal is the only club I expect him to join (because of his dad having played there) unless Man City really force the issue)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Vieira is unhappy with Arsenal and has been collecting too many red cards anyway. I do realize his contract still goes through the 2006/2007 season and he's at the peak age.

In today's market, 15M Euro is top money. Today only Chelsea has the money to pay double of that and I guess it's better to move a player of Vieria's caliber to outside of the league.

Still, it makes me wonder who is going to step into the open position in the lineup...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-14-2005 at 05:35 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:43 AM   #5
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

I think they will be getting players back as well....I have heard names such as Appiah, Marseca(sp?) or even Trezeguet. I'm surprised Real didn't try and secure his signature this offseason, since it seems the last three or four that is all I have read about.

As a 'Pool fan, I'm glad to see him out of the Premiership too. I think Arsenal are putting too much stock into Flammini, Fabregas and Gilberto and they could suffer this year. While good players, they are nowhere near as valuable as Vieria was to that team.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:29 AM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Vieira is unhappy with Arsenal and has been collecting too many red cards anyway. I do realize his contract still goes through the 2006/2007 season and he's at the peak age.

In today's market, 15M Euro is top money. Today only Chelsea has the money to pay double of that and I guess it's better to move a player of Vieria's caliber to outside of the league.

Still, it makes me wonder who is going to step into the open position in the lineup...

15M Euro isn't a great amount for someone who's a world-class player imho, even accepting that his contract will eventually run out and he might lose on a free - if they let him leave without having a similar quality replacement lined up (which I don't think they have - simply because there are very few similar quality players available and NONE at that sort of price) they risk their Champions League status which would cost them far more than 15m Euro ...

Next season there will be a LOT of competition for CL places in England imho:

Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea*
Man Utd*
Everton
Tottenham

All these teams imho have real potential for achieving a CL place (*'s being near certainties imho, Arsenal without Viera aren't certainties imho).

In addition to these there's always the chance that other 'form' team could muscle in on 4th place - I'm looking especially at Charlton for this next season, they've quietly strengthened their side a lot ..
Old 07-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Well, there are no certainities in sports. After PSV lost Kezman and Robben to Chelsea, hired a new Brazilian goalkeeper (Gomes) and defender (Alex), and had to rely on the until last season non-performing Koreans (Lee and park) and had no true goalscorer left, they were written off as championship candidates. We 'all' know where that ended, they lost on a last minute goal of the semis in the CL and were runaway champs in the national league.

Anyway, Vieira is said to be unhappy and they can get some bucks for him. The rumors I read point to 15M euro + player or >25M euro. Vieira clearly looks irreplacable, but never say never...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If he does leave then I'd expect the final fee to be around £15m (pounds sterling) ... I still think it'd be a bad move though ...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
If he does leave then I'd expect the final fee to be around £15m (pounds sterling) ... I still think it'd be a bad move though ...

I agree, I think it would really hurt Arsenal. Its struck me as kind of odd how blase they have been about this deal, at least in the media. Teams like Arsenal need to be trying to bring in better players to complement what they already have if they want to catch Chelsea. Selling off your prize asset hardly seems like a step in the right direction, regardless of who they would bring back in return.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
condors
College Starter

Maybe they will use the money to get Essien from Lyon since the front offices of Chelsea and Arsenal are getting along so well these days.

He wasn't at his best this past season but they can't think Febregese(sp) who is just 18, will step in without missing a beat? (he did look pretty good at times when he played in cover last season)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #11
Critch
lolzcat

BBC have confirmed that Arsenal have accepted a 13.75mil pound offer from Juventus, not a bad amount for a 30 year old coming off a bad season, I guess. Arsenal have apparently bid 12mil for Jenas from Newcastle, although Newcastle are saying it'll take more than 12mil.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:15 AM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I think they will try to bring in someone since Wenger is said to prefer having 4 midfielders in the mix. It's hard to tell if they already have someone in mind, though, since most of the players they have been connected with have not been midfielders (Hleb is said to be at his best as a withdrawn forward and Baptista is more of a goal poacher than a midfielder nowaday). The ironic/funny (depending on if you are an Arsenal fan or not, I suppose) part, of course, is that, had he stayed, Edu would now be in line for the starting spot he wanted. Heh.

I have a tough time picturing either Wright-Phillips or Essien as Gunners. Wright-Phillips seems to fit in exactly where Chelsea needs and wants (an attacking force on the right, opposing the Duff/Robben tandem), not to mention being English. Even Ian Wright is said to have been quoted as saying something along the line that Chelsea is where he would recommend Wright-Phillips toward since they could pay him the most. Essien supposedly prefers Chelsea and, even with Vieira's transfer fee, Arsenal simply cannot match Abrahamovic's money.
Quote:
(*'s being near certainties imho, Arsenal without Viera aren't certainties imho)
Agreed. I think, right now, Liverpool looks like they're in a stronger position to push for the second guaranteed spot into the CL than Arsenal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
He wasn't at his best this past season but they can't think Febregese(sp) who is just 18, will step in without missing a beat? (he did look pretty good at times when he played in cover last season)
I think he'll get a lot of first team action but I wouldn't think Wenger's plan would be to have Fabregas start opposite Gilberto. Wenger said more than a few times last season that he had to start Fabregas more times than he preferred due to injuries. If he starts Hleb in the middle, pushed forward, and a goal poacher (like Baptista rather than a provider like Bergkamp) up front alongside Henry, it would be a different look but an interesting one.

All that said, I still wouldn't mind also getting rid of Coles and getting another left-back to tag-team with Clichy. Or, Heck, even gambling on someone like Maxwell from Ajax and hope he heals well.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I have a tough time picturing either Wright-Phillips or Essien as Gunners. Wright-Phillips seems to fit in exactly where Chelsea needs and wants (an attacking force on the right, opposing the Duff/Robben tandem), not to mention being English. Even Ian Wright is said to have been quoted as saying something along the line that Chelsea is where he would recommend Wright-Phillips toward since they could pay him the most. Essien supposedly prefers Chelsea and, even with Vieira's transfer fee, Arsenal simply cannot match Abrahamovic's money.
Ahh - but I think SWP is one of those rare players who isn't purely after the money, he'll be happy to stay at Man City BUT if they want to sell he's already indicated his preferred destination is Arsenal because of his dads ties there (my wifes a Man City fan so I know ALL the ins and outs of SWP regardless of whether I want to or not ).
Old 07-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #14
moriarty
College Starter

Slightly off topic (but it is European Soccer news) -

The on again / off again rumors of Figo going to Liverpool are on again. Sources say Real Madrid have dropped the 2MM transfer fee request. I know he's getting old, but if he can fill the void on the right side of Liverpool's midfield, it'd be a big signing.

Champions League hero Jerzy Dudek looks as good as gone from Liverpool. He wasn't suited up during the CL qualifier. Yet another rumor of Owen returning to Liverpool (these get kind of old after a while).

Liverpool still needs more depth IMO to compete for the #2 or even #3 spot in the league. In particular they need a defensive CB to rest Hypiia and Carragher, and address their right wing issues. But they also really have no proven Premier League scorer despite plenty of talent up front in Baros, Cisse, and Morientes.

Last edited by moriarty : 07-15-2005 at 08:40 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ahh - but I think SWP is one of those rare players who isn't purely after the money, he'll be happy to stay at Man City BUT if they want to sell he's already indicated his preferred destination is Arsenal because of his dads ties there (my wifes a Man City fan so I know ALL the ins and outs of SWP regardless of whether I want to or not ).

On the other hand, it's Chelsea who've put in a bid for him. It might not have been accepted this time, but I don't think we're going to give up just yet . . .
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
On the other hand, it's Chelsea who've put in a bid for him. It might not have been accepted this time, but I don't think we're going to give up just yet . . .
If it gets high enough (between £22-25m imho) then City will accept it to help clear debts and he'll move on, I personally hope Arsenal gird their loins and move for him ... no offense, but its not like Chelsea need another quality player
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Please, Arsenal, bid 15 million pounds or so for Jenas... please!! After getting Emre, I wouldn't mind some more spending money for a striker or CB .
Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If it gets high enough (between £22-25m imho) then City will accept it to help clear debts and he'll move on, I personally hope Arsenal gird their loins and move for him ... no offense, but its not like Chelsea need another quality player

Maybe not NEED, but considering that the club only has two out-and-out wingers, and one of them is a bit injury-prone, and the other goes comatose if you play him too often, and there's only one other player who can fill in for either of them without completely killing the offence . . .

One more winger wouldn't go amiss.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #19
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

It looks like Arsenal have accepted the Juve bid for Vieira and he's on his way - he hasn't recently shown any real commitment to the club and he may well see a couple of years in Italy as the best way to finish his career. I agree with Mourinho who says that Wenger is an intelligent manager who knows what he's doing. Vieira is 30, did not have anything like his best season last season and may well be on the way down physically. Wenger can now use the money in chasing Baptista who, though currently playing as a striker, previously played in midfield for Brazil.

I understand also that Chelsea have upped their offer to Man City to 20 million pounds for SWP - City's resolve will be tested yet.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #20
Critch
lolzcat

Who overpaid the most? Chelsea shelling out 21mil for Wright-Phillips, or Liverpool dropping an amazing 7mil for Peter Crouch? 7mil?!?!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #21
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Who overpaid the most? Chelsea shelling out 21mil for Wright-Phillips, or Liverpool dropping an amazing 7mil for Peter Crouch? 7mil?!?!

Liverpool without a doubt. Hell if we needed a tall clumsy forward, we could have just held on to Heskey for a few more years.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:13 AM   #22
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Liverpool without a doubt. Hell if we needed a tall clumsy forward, we could have just held on to Heskey for a few more years.
I was under the impression that Crouch is a different type of player than Heskey. (No, not just in the sense of one forward actually scoring goals in the EPL and the other . . . not.) That, in spite of his impressive height, he is actually quite good with his feet. Benitez is quality and, if he pans out, Crouch would make an interesting addition to an already impressive array of attacking option he has. I would expect them to excel in Europe again this season.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:16 AM   #23
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Still disagree. Especially with him sporting that fine Samsung kit.

He's class but I don't know if a club like Arsenal (basically, one without the "SUGAR DADDY" tag in the startup file) can justify 21 large for him. Especially with the alternatives they currently have on the squad.

He's an excellent addition for Chelsea, though. Great weapon opposite Robben (and, like Freddie, *when* Robben breaks, Duff). I am slightly curious how Mourinho will handle the rotation of Drogba, Gudjohnsen and Crespo, though.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:48 AM   #24
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Depends on whether the Essien deal goes through. Towards the end of last year Eidur was starting nearly every match as an attacking midfielder; if Essien doesn't come, then he'll probably continue there, which would leave Crespo and Drogba to split most of the time up front. I have no idea how Jose will handle things if Essien does come, but I'm sure he's got a plan.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #25
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I was under the impression that Crouch is a different type of player than Heskey. (No, not just in the sense of one forward actually scoring goals in the EPL and the other . . . not.) That, in spite of his impressive height, he is actually quite good with his feet. Benitez is quality and, if he pans out, Crouch would make an interesting addition to an already impressive array of attacking option he has. I would expect them to excel in Europe again this season.

It was a bit of an unfair comparison on my part, but with all the talks of bringing in a quality striker and possibly Owen returning ... we end up paying 7MM for Crouch. I just have a bad feeling that this is like us overpaying for Heskey all over again. Benitez knows the Spanish players obviously much better than the English players at this point in his career so ... well, I hope for the best, and I really think we'll get another striker in exchange for Baros soon.

FWIW - Heskey was a big lumbering forward whose primary responsibility was to gather the headers, and knock them down for Owen (to slot in the back of the net). Crouch appears to have better footwork than Heskey (and clearly is not as big/lumbering - he's a 6'7" toothpick), and hopefully he can actually find the net on his own occasionally.

Crouch really came along last year, but I get really nervous about guys whom have one good year, after never really excelling before (he was ok before, just not 7MM worth). There's a fair chance that they'll return to earth for the following seasons. As his own manager put it 'I can quite understand why the club sold him - £7million is a terrific fee for a player that not many would have given £700,000 for six months ago.'. I just hope he doesn't return to the 700,000 form anytime soon.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #26
Critch
lolzcat

Liverpool team photo updated to include Crouch

hxxp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/smh2905/crouch.jpg

(safe for work)
Old 07-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #27
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Liverpool team photo updated to include Crouch

hxxp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/smh2905/crouch.jpg

(safe for work)

Ha ha. Hey, looks like they resigned Michael Owen there on the left as well.