Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Lost: Jan 19 Episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Again, a big ending this week.

Something is definitely up with the kid. In that one episode, he was reading a comic book and saw a polar bear and then a polar bear appeared. Then, when his dad told him he'd look for the dog when it stopped raining, it stopped raining immediately. And tonight, the dice rolls. He's got something funky going on.

Good call way back in December. Finally tonight's show moves the plot ever so slightly along. I won't give away any spoilers for those who may have missed it, but...

(highlight to read)
Claire is back???
What kind of wish fulfillment does this kid have? Did anyone else notice the faint smile on his face when his father saved him and hugged him?

Too bad next week is a rerun. Oh well.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

The show is simply amazing...
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

they better start looking for the pregant woman.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
they better start looking for the pregant woman.

Well...
Old 01-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i have to wait 8:00pacfic time for us west coaster to see it

i like the show alot
Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Did you notice how the boy was talking about birds and how he was researching different types of birds and then a bird flew into the window? That boy is awesome.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's like the Twilight Zone movie with the all-powerful boy.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 PM   #8
Easy Mac

so do you think there is any reason as to why the comic book was in Spanish or is the whole "boy sees comic book and it comes true" angle is over now that his father destroyed it? Anyone know what he was saying? I wasn't really listening too closely... all I got was a polar bear. Perhaps his powers are tied to books?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
kingfc22
Head Coach

My TIVO cut off the part at the end when they were talking about Claire's dream of the black rock. Did I miss anything?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ok, I don't use BT, don't really want to. Does anyone know a IRC network/channel where i can quickly get the seasons episodes? By quick I mean not having to wait in a que for 100 hours?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
My TIVO cut off the part at the end when they were talking about Claire's dream of the black rock. Did I miss anything?

I'm horrible at names, so I'll try to fill in...they mentioned Claire's dream about teh Black Rock and also that the Iraqi guy was talking about the Black Rock. Speculation is that the triangle on the map may be be the black rock. Then, right at the end, the formerly paralyzed guy is blowing a whistle and watching some underbrush that's moving back and forth. They think it's an animal, but who should come out of the brush - Claire - looking very distraught and non-pregnant.

Told ya I stink at names

My wife speculated last night that the entire island is the little kid's imagination. If that's the case, how do they explain that the kid can "imagine" these complex relationships leading up to the crash? Unless...it's only the island that's his imagination, and not the people on the island.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Also, when the dad was confronting Locke, Locke said something like "You should help him explore his power", or something.

I also don't like how they gave up on searching for the pregnant gal. The hobbit is always pining for her and taking care of her stuff. I am thinking, why don't you get off your ass and look for her.

I guess it is moot now.

My prediction: at some point, Locke will sacrifice himself for the good of the other castaways, not unlike Jesus or the opriest in the Poseiden Adventure..
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #13
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Also, when the dad was confronting Locke, Locke said something like "You should help him explore his power", or something.

I also don't like how they gave up on searching for the pregnant gal. The hobbit is always pining for her and taking care of her stuff. I am thinking, why don't you get off your ass and look for her.

I guess it is moot now.

My prediction: at some point, Locke will sacrifice himself for the good of the other castaways, not unlike Jesus or the opriest in the Poseiden Adventure..

The only character I wouldn't miss is the Asian dude... if they killed off anyone else I'd be pissed. When Charlie was hung and almost died I went rank, and was compltly pissed till he came back to life...

I'm still interested in the development of the story line between the older woman and her "apparently" dead husband... is he really alive? You wouldn't think so, but the way the show has developed... I'm leaning to the "yes he is alive" side.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not to be too negative, because I have been a big fan, but Lost is starting to lose its luster for me. I don't mind suspending belief or the occasional dream sequence/audience trickery, but the last two episodes haven't given me the big ending that allows me to forgive the misdirections.

I really love the character development, but my problem is that, betweeen the backstories, the single-week drama, and the obligatory involvement of the many, many characters, not much is happening on the island in regards to the overall story.

I'm still watching, but I think they need to give us a piece of the big picture every week.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Ok, I don't use BT, don't really want to. Does anyone know a IRC network/channel where i can quickly get the seasons episodes? By quick I mean not having to wait in a que for 100 hours?
You've been PM'd.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #16
bbo
n00b

The thing I always think about is how Locke said in one episode "I have looked into the eye of this island and it's beautiful".
Somehow after last night I am leaning towards the, it's a face your fears to overcome angle. Like how the polar bear was in the magazine, then it attacks him, then the father and boy are all lovey dovey now. Their relationship healed. I originally thought because of the hatch in the ground that the island was used for experiments on animals and it got out of hand and whats down the hatch is the lab. Kind of a resident evil angle so to speak.

Oh, and Claire's baby was taken from her for the continuation of the freaky peoples race. I think they are by products of the lab or something.

Basically what it comes down to is I have no f'in clue but I love the show.

Brian
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #17
Easy Mac

I dunno, I could actually see Locke leading a split amongst the stranded people (more than just cave v. beach people). It almost seems like he's trying to create a cult or something. Look at how protective Boone is of Locke. I could see the Walt's slide that way. I don't think Locke is as altruistic as he seems.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Not to be too negative, because I have been a big fan, but Lost is starting to lose its luster for me. I don't mind suspending belief or the occasional dream sequence/audience trickery, but the last two episodes haven't given me the big ending that allows me to forgive the misdirections.

I really love the character development, but my problem is that, betweeen the backstories, the single-week drama, and the obligatory involvement of the many, many characters, not much is happening on the island in regards to the overall story.

I'm still watching, but I think they need to give us a piece of the big picture every week.
I think things will start happening as we learn about each character. We only have Hurley to learn about now really anyway. So that leaves about 7-8 episodes for island action!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #19
Easy Mac

Quote:

The rock, Claire, the kid's "powers" and Boone's fierce defense of Locke aren't progressing a story?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's fascinating to me.

Man I hope the wrap to this story isn't something totally queer. And I don't mean if they have Richard Simmons show up.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #21
Easy Mac

Is there any way to end the show without it being a huge letdown?

If its a mystical island and they get off... so what? Do they live normal lives? Does the island disappear?
If they're dead and in limbo... kind of a cheat.
Dream... boo.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

That was my very first sentance after the first show. How in the world exists any acceptable and non queer ending.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:42 AM   #23
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I dunno, I could actually see Locke leading a split amongst the stranded people (more than just cave v. beach people). It almost seems like he's trying to create a cult or something. Look at how protective Boone is of Locke. I could see the Walt's slide that way. I don't think Locke is as altruistic as he seems.

Locke did make the statement of 'don't piss him (the iraqi) off, we'll need him on our side later.'

Which would support the fact that the all knowing Locke is foretelling of a split in the group.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #24
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
That was my very first sentance after the first show. How in the world exists any acceptable and non queer ending.
eh, i'll enjoy it now and worry about the ending when its about to go off.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #25
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

What'll really bite is if the show is juct cancelled, and there is no ending...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

I would suspect that ABC would allow JJ to have a couple episodes to finish it up. In my opinion he is a big reason ABC gets any ratings at all.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #27
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
eh, i'll enjoy it now and worry about the ending when its about to go off.

me too...I love the show.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #28
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
The rock, Claire, the kid's "powers" and Boone's fierce defense of Locke aren't progressing a story?

I see your point, but we pretty much already knew about the kid's powers (granted they did confirm it) and the rock (at least I didn't pick up a whole lot new about it last night).

I hadn't thought about the cult-like protection of Boone, but that is a good point. Especially on top of him making the comment about needing Sayid later.

The Claire thing was a good teaser.

I guess there were some good progression points on the survivors, but not much on the mystery of the island (hatch, Ethan's people, the French Lady, etc.).
Old 01-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #29
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Very good point and i thought of this too.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think once you "experience" the island it changes you much like Locke and Boone have changed.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #31
CraigSca
Pro Starter

My concern is that there really is no ending. As a writer, you probably design the show for 22 episodes. When you get renewed you say, "Wahoo! ' and then "Uh oh..." because there's no way to realistically stretch a 22 episode story into how many years it's going to get renewed. If you do...maybe the story evolves...and then you eventually take your original premise and throw it out the window.

Personally...I would have liked to have seen one rip-roaring season and have that be it. To drag it on until it's eventual death just seems like it's poised to be disappointing at the end.
how do you know?

Old 01-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #32
Anthony
Banned

i agree Craig. it must only last 1 season. there must be closure.

they can have another Lost season, but like Survivor it could be in a different location. maybe next season it could be a different cast whose plane crashed in Antartica or something.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #33
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i agree Craig. it must only last 1 season. there must be closure.

they can have another Lost season, but like Survivor it could be in a different location. maybe next season it could be a different cast whose plane crashed in Antartica or something.

i think its will be renew...its getting great rating and its ABC 2nd best new show this season after Housewives
Old 01-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #34
Pyser
Pro Rookie

what would be ultra lame is if they bring in some new characters for the 2nd season. like, oh! i didnt realize heather locklear was one of the "other" people among the 30 or so we havent met.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #35
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Maybe the Harlem Globetrotters will show up.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #36
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Or that little Oliver doofus kid from the Brady Bunch. Or...you can always do what the Cosby Show did...
how do you know?

Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #37
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think it will be a single season, and I think it was designed that way to begin with. I'm guessing the writer/creator has at least a few seasons plotted out, possibly even including a climactic finale
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

This show just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

If it wasn't for my wife, I would have stopped watching weeks ago.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #39
Easy Mac

I doubt the writers would have spent 15-16 episodes going over character backstories just so they could leave 6 episodes to resolve it completely. Seems to me while there may not be planned plots for the next decade, they have ideas for at least 2-3 seasons.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #40
Easy Mac

I can't remember a show where I couldn't wait for commercials to end each week so I can see what is about to happen... at least since the x-files first seasons.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #41
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think we are giving the writers way too much credit. no way theyve planned out 2-3 seasons. we'd be lucky if they have written all of this season yet.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #42
Swaggs
Coordinator

If it goes more than two seasons, they will have to kill the kid off, because he will visibly age.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #43
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I thought I read an interview with the writer that said they had 4 seasons planned (I think it said story-boarded) out already. I could be wrong, but I remember thinking at the time that if I have to wait four years to find out what the monster is, I'm going to be pissed.

So far, I like the show and plan to keep watching.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:36 AM   #44
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
i think we are giving the writers way too much credit. no way theyve planned out 2-3 seasons. we'd be lucky if they have written all of this season yet.

Perhaps, but I don't doubt that that could have already written the general story. It's easy to throw in events to carry the show week-to-week. I just hope there is an ending, and they won't just make it up whenever it's time to do so.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 AM   #45
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser

Nah. I'm pretty sure they'd need the story fairly well mapped out to sell it to the network. And what network is going to buy a series that only lasts one season. All of the back story they are going into. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the whole story line plotted out and divided over the planned number of years.

It wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing was done. With Babylon 5 I remember thinking that one of the episodes in the first season, didn't seem to quite "fit" with the rest of the season. Three years later it was neatly tied up with an episode in the fourth season. That episode, and in fact a fair story arc, in the fourth season had been planned back before the show had even been picked up for a second season, and they layed the ground work for it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #46
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Nah. I'm pretty sure they'd need the story fairly well mapped out to sell it to the network.

well, heres how it works.

when a show wants to become a series, they make a pilot, which was probably roughly the first episode that aired. maybe some casting is different, some plot, but basically the same. then abc said, "good. 12 episodes, please." then the writers go, "shit, we need a lot more story."

then the show airs on tv, and the ratings are huge. and abc goes, "shit, we need more than 12, lets go the full 22." then the writers go "shit" again. and the show continues to do well, and now suddenly it cant only last one season.

the first season of 24 was much the same way. they didnt really have it planned out all the way through, because who knew it would get picked up?

im sure by now the lost writers have this season mapped out, and i hope they have an answer for all the stuff they've introduced. but thinking they had this all mapped out from the beginning, or even a few episodes in, is probably wrong.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #47
Anthony
Banned

yes, you don't need to have a full season's worth of episodes already written, but you do need to be able to tell the network where the show is going. whether that takes 1 season or many is up to public demand (more demand means more time to flesh out storylines). but if you don't think the writers have an idea how the show will end you're fooling yourself. ultimately they know if there's a monster on the island, if if this is the figment of someone's imagination or whathaveyou. obviously the longer the series goes on the more monkey wrenches get thrown into the plot (you think NYPD Blue was supposed to be all about Det. Sipowicz when the series first started?), but no matter what they have a start and an ending, the only thing that is up in the air is the middle and what twists and turns they throw at us to get to that end.

if the network is gonna make a significant investment into the show they want to be assured that there are plans for the show plot after the pilot. i highly doubt they'd allow themselves to be put into a situation where they're excited about a show after the pilot is aired and they pick up 12 or so more shows only to get a call from the writers of that show where they go "sorry, that's all we got. damned if we know where to go from here."

Last edited by Anthony : 01-21-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote