Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football Week 6 thread

We are now a month and a half into the season. Here's the matchup of Top 25 teams this weekend:

Ohio State at Northwestern
Washington at Stanford
Maryland at Florida State
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can IU finally beat Penn State? We've come close a few times, but never made it over the top. If we want to salvage any hopes of going to a bowl, this game is a must win for my Hoosiers.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

UCLA at Utah is the Thursday night game.

Bruins will be going for revenge... not against the Utes, but against Thursday night games.

They were utterly embarrassed on Thursday night games three times (at least) in Rick Neuheisel's last two seasons, and ESPN mercifully (for the country) avoided putting them on last year in Mora's first year.

I am hoping we will see the strong Bruins team of the last year and a half, and not the awful squads that usually showed up for Thursday games.

Macro, you ready for this one?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

IIRC, he hates Utah
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
IIRC, he hates Utah

Whoops, I thought he was the Utah guy. Do we have a Utah guy? I know we have BYU guys.

Well, in that case, Macro, root for the Bruins!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The other games of interest in the Big Ten are MSU @ Iowa. MSU being involved means it will be an ugly and maybe a brutal game to watch. Unless MSU found some sort of offense during the bye week, I expect Iowa to eventually pull this out despite MSU's defense.

Minnesota @ Michigan. Minnesota is a bad team with a good record. Michigan is who the hell knows. Michigan had a bye week so hopefully they can fix their mojo and offer hope for a decent season. If Michigan struggles here, it is going to be a long Big Ten season for them with about 3-6 loses.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson at Syracuse for the first ACC game for Syracuse. The Dome will be full and loud. Expect the upset.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
The Dome will be full.

I'll be curious to see if that part's true. The Dome hasn't been full for a very long time. Are fans and students in the Northeast going to get fired up for an ACC team, even a top 5 one? I think football's just not a big deal there anymore.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Go Terps. Gulp.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'll be curious to see if that part's true. The Dome hasn't been full for a very long time. Are fans and students in the Northeast going to get fired up for an ACC team, even a top 5 one? I think football's just not a big deal there anymore.

It might not be an actual sellout but it looks like 45K which is good for up there.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Clemson travels pretty well, from what I heard.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
UCLA at Utah is the Thursday night game.

Bruins will be going for revenge... not against the Utes, but against Thursday night games.

They were utterly embarrassed on Thursday night games three times (at least) in Rick Neuheisel's last two seasons, and ESPN mercifully (for the country) avoided putting them on last year in Mora's first year.

I am hoping we will see the strong Bruins team of the last year and a half, and not the awful squads that usually showed up for Thursday games.

I am all about the Bruins destroying Utah. But I want it to be a low scoring affair..LOL, Kalani Sitake the DC @ Utah is a really good friend of mine and an upstanding guy.

Prime example...He is a BYU grad and former player, in the game 2 weeks ago, his players wanted to celebrate and stomp on the logo on the field after the win, he stood there arms crossed in front of the logo and forced them to celebrate somewhere else. He told them to respect their opponent and the field...to me, that proves a ton about him.

In the BYU world, they travel up to Logan, Utah and take on Utah State and Chuckie Keeton...I am concerned about this game. It has gone from a gimme at the beginning of the season to one where I am going to be on the edge of my seat Friday night.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-30-2013 at 11:21 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

First true test for the Huskies. If the Huskies can keep Hogan in check and get pressure on him we should have a shot. If not it could be a long night.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Huge road trip weekend for KC area fans. Mizzou plays Vandy in Nashville on Saturday in Mizzou's SEC opener, looking to go 5-0. The Chiefs play the Titans on Sunday in Nashville looking to go 5-0. They're expecting a few thousand Mizzou/Chiefs fans at both games. Wish I was going, but know a lot of people who are. Should be a lot of fun.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

Put your mortgage on Iowa State to cover and your second mortgage on the Cyclone moneyline.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
bob
College Starter

I expect ASU to beat Notre Dame by several hundred points.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
First true test for the Huskies. If the Huskies can keep Hogan in check and get pressure on him we should have a shot. If not it could be a long night.
Our secondary gives us a chance in this one. Like last year, I expect Wilcox to frequently employ cover 0 and bring as many guys into the box as he can and to run more jumbo sets with Kikaha and E. Hudson outside flanking Shelton and Lagafuaina.

Offensively, Price has and the receivers have to be on their game. I expect to see a lot of the horizontal passing game return with the rocket motions and bubble screens. Obviously if the OL can hold up at all Sark will take shots downfield to try to stretch the Tree D, but I'm expecting their front 7 to be by far the biggest test of the year. Sankey will probably have tough sledding in this one.

The big difference from last year on the Stanford side is Hogan - he's much more mobile than Nunes and can extend plays. Montgomery is playing a lot better, but their TE play has been pedestrian, which limits a lot of what they like to do.

The big difference on the Husky side is the HUNH offense - obviously Stanford has shown they can contain a hurry-up spread by limiting Oregon to 14 last year, but our version is different - the passing game is more sophisticated and we have better receivers.

I figure Stanford will win, but I think the Huskies certainly have a decent shot at pulling the upset on the road.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa-MSU will be a slugfest. Iowas offensive line is good enough again for our big back to run behind. Iowa is a 2 point favorite. I think either team will win 17-14. Obviously, Im hoping its Iowa.
Then again, MSU has a terrible offense. And our O line is good. maybe we win another 23-7 game. Or 16-7. I could see Iowa getting 3 FGS and a TD.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Put your mortgage on Iowa State to cover and your second mortgage on the Cyclone moneyline.

I wouldnt bet anything on ISU. But thats just hatred of a program speaking.
Interestinf stat for ISU, they have the 3rd longest streak in the nation of not giving up 30 points to an opponent.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dawgfan, Lathum, HR - Any of you guys coming out for what is likely the third place game between UCLA-UW?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dawgfan, Lathum, HR - Any of you guys coming out for what is likely the third place game between UCLA-UW?

Would love to but hard to take a trip like that with 2 little ones that time of year.

I do have a deal with the wife that when we make a Rose Bowl or BCS game I am going.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unlikely. Two little kids means not much opportunity for football road trips. I was considering coming down to the Bay Area this weekend for the Stanford game since I have an uncle in Los Altos Hills, but between work and the kids, it wasn't going to happen.

Depending on my wife's work schedule, I might make it down for a bowl game though.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

Bye week for UNLV, so that's another week we're above .500.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Bye week for UNLV

Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Didn't see this posted.

Entire Buckeye Team Lines Up To Hug Anchor After His Daughter's Death
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #26
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Yep, there's going to be a lot of Tiger fans there. I'm pretty excited about the game. I'll be there cheering on my Tigers.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Our secondary gives us a chance in this one. Like last year, I expect Wilcox to frequently employ cover 0 and bring as many guys into the box as he can and to run more jumbo sets with Kikaha and E. Hudson outside flanking Shelton and Lagafuaina.

Offensively, Price has and the receivers have to be on their game. I expect to see a lot of the horizontal passing game return with the rocket motions and bubble screens. Obviously if the OL can hold up at all Sark will take shots downfield to try to stretch the Tree D, but I'm expecting their front 7 to be by far the biggest test of the year. Sankey will probably have tough sledding in this one.

The big difference from last year on the Stanford side is Hogan - he's much more mobile than Nunes and can extend plays. Montgomery is playing a lot better, but their TE play has been pedestrian, which limits a lot of what they like to do.

The big difference on the Husky side is the HUNH offense - obviously Stanford has shown they can contain a hurry-up spread by limiting Oregon to 14 last year, but our version is different - the passing game is more sophisticated and we have better receivers.

I figure Stanford will win, but I think the Huskies certainly have a decent shot at pulling the upset on the road.

They've basically moved the offense away from the tight-end heavy approach this year - people keep trying to stack the box, and they keep countering it with a) one of the best lines in the nation and b) Hogan's ability to get the deep ball. If you're going to stack 8-9 in the box, you're going to leave a lot of single coverage for a long time.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #28
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
If you're going to stack 8-9 in the box, you're going to leave a lot of single coverage for a long time.
With the way his secondary has performed, I expect Wilcox to do just that.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Now if we can get a bye week for Iowa as well, then this thread will be readable again.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Now if we can get a bye week for Iowa as well, then this thread will be readable again.

That happens after WE beat MSU.

Last edited by tarcone : 10-01-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:

I would love to go but I'm working weekends now and I don't think I'll be able to get more time off after heading to Florida next week. I actually haven't made it to a game since the USC game in 2009. Basically none of my friends are Husky fans so I only tend to make it to games if I happen to be in town at the time of the game.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Indictments handed up in UNC football scandal | abc11.com
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I know from my tailgate alone 145 folks caravaning together and staying in a couple hotels.

We are up in the air, tickets bought but now looks like my son may have a middle school game Saturday AM, if so Ill be watching on TV.

I think Clemson will bring 5-7,000 up total.

Now...I think Cuse and the points is a money making play if todays status holds true.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
4-1
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #35
Logan
Head Coach

FYI, I got a Living Social email offering pretty heavily discounted tickets to Syracuse-Clemson. Not sure what that means for the attendance discussed in here, and these seem like fairly higher priced seats, but I figured I'd mention it here.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone's bored around say...6pm this Saturday night, they can check out my game on ESPN3.com.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
If anyone's bored around say...6pm this Saturday night, they can check out my game on ESPN3.com.

Awesome!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
4-1

Stupid Northern Illinois.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix of Alabama Crimson Tide suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules - ESPN

Long enough time before 'Bama faces another team that could challenge them so I'm not sure how worried I would be unless what was done is serious enough for a lengthy suspension. I kind of figure either it is short term with him doing whatever he needs to do to clear things up or he would be done for the year/off the team.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #40
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Stupid Northern Illinois.

Northern Illinois is going to be interesting to watch this year... already 4-0 with 2 BCS road wins, and only 1 team left on the schedule before the MAC championship game with a winning record (Ball State), so the path would seem to be there to get into the top 12/16 ... unless voters hold their blowout loss to FSU in the Orange Bowl against them. Fresno State is the only other non-BCS team left undefeated, and that defense just looks so shaky I think they'll lose at least one in the WAC.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #41
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Northern Illinois is going to be interesting to watch this year... already 4-0 with 2 BCS road wins, and only 1 team left on the schedule before the MAC championship game with a winning record (Ball State), so the path would seem to be there to get into the top 12/16 ... unless voters hold their blowout loss to FSU in the Orange Bowl against them. Fresno State is the only other non-BCS team left undefeated, and that defense just looks so shaky I think they'll lose at least one in the WAC.

Fresno State moved to the Mountain West this year. Point still stands, though, since the MWC is a better conference.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #42
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Unlikely. Two little kids means not much opportunity for football road trips. I was considering coming down to the Bay Area this weekend for the Stanford game since I have an uncle in Los Altos Hills, but between work and the kids, it wasn't going to happen.

Depending on my wife's work schedule, I might make it down for a bowl game though.

Uncle in Los Altos hills? Ballin! Huskies have a chance in this one. I'd put my cash on the card, but I'm by no means writing Washington off
Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #43
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Bob Stoops of Oklahoma Sooners challenges SEC defenses again - ESPN

Maybe if OU stopped choking in big games they might get to prove they could play against those SEC defenses. You honestly don't want to put that quote out there and suddenly find 'Bama across the field.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #44
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Uncle in Los Altos hills? Ballin!
Yep. He and my Aunt have been in that house now for ~50 years, but they've both done well for themselves.

Quote:
Huskies have a chance in this one. I'd put my cash on the card, but I'm by no means writing Washington off
It's a huge test for the Huskies. They caught Stanford at a good time last year, and may not have had the full respect of the Cardinal players entering the game. That won't be the case this time. By the same token, Washington is playing much better this year than they did last year. On paper, it should be a really good game, but there's still a nagging fear that Washington can't win a big game on the road, and the blowouts at Tucson and Eugene last year still sting.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #45
Logan
Head Coach

Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #46
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Part of the problem with having such large staffs is that it becomes easier for stuff like this to happen. If this is all true, I expect 'Bama to remove whoever needs to be removed.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #47
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Iowa State getting totally jobbed by the refs.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #48
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Iowa State is getting royally screwed by the officials.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #49
cartman
Death Herald

As a Texas fan, I hated that game. As a college football fan, that was entertaining as hell. Iowa State should play every home game on Thursday night. Something always seems to happen when they do so.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #50
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

As a college football fan, that was really bad for the sport.