Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Pre-Employment Background Check

For the last six years, I've worked for a local utility company in a position that was being eliminated. When I was hired, I was made aware of this, and was told that it would probably be a 1-2 year position. They truly are cutting back - there were 55 of us when I started, and we're down to six now.

Last week, I accepted a job offer for a permanent position with the company - it was a huge relief, and I was very excited. But they did a background check on me - no big deal, I'm not a criminal - and the results are frustrating. Here's the situation:

They want 7 years of employment history. Unfortunately, before I landed this job I was a man of many trades - in 2007 I was a full time teacher, pizza delivery man and a car salesman. Then in 2008, I was a substitute teacher until April, when I started with my current company. I have copies of all my W-2's, so this isn't that big a deal. Today, the results of the background check came in (I requested a copy of the results), and I'm pretty upset. The car salesman gig is no biggie, that cleared fine. What didn't was my work as a teacher. I claimed I was a teacher from March 2006 to March 2008 - which I was. I was a substitute teacher from March 06 to October 06, then I landed a permanent job as a PE Teacher until June 07. After quitting my job as a car salesman in December of 07, I was a substitute teacher again from January 08 until I got my current position in April of 08.

San Jose Unified School District claimed I was a teacher from October 2006 to June of 2007. The company doing the background check said 'cool' and left it at that - no request from me for W-2's or anything. The report comes in with a big red "Discrepancy" under that entry in employment history.

I've called my contact with Recruiting/HR within my company, but she hasn't returned my call. Is this sort of thing typical of background checks? I have W-2's verifying that I was indeed on San Jose Unified School District's payroll for 2008, but at this point the only person who knows that is me. They weren't hesitant to ask me for W-2's for my time as a car salesman, so it's not like they had no contact with me after the initial information dump.

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

I have two questions.

1. What does this matter? Did you not get the job because of it?

2. If it does matter, then you probably have a damn good case against the school district. If it didn't matter, then why don't you call the school district and demand they correct their records?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
For the last six years, I've worked for a local utility company in a position that was being eliminated. When I was hired, I was made aware of this, and was told that it would probably be a 1-2 year position. They truly are cutting back - there were 55 of us when I started, and we're down to six now.

Last week, I accepted a job offer for a permanent position with the company - it was a huge relief, and I was very excited. But they did a background check on me - no big deal, I'm not a criminal - and the results are frustrating. Here's the situation:

They want 7 years of employment history. Unfortunately, before I landed this job I was a man of many trades - in 2007 I was a full time teacher, pizza delivery man and a car salesman. Then in 2008, I was a substitute teacher until April, when I started with my current company. I have copies of all my W-2's, so this isn't that big a deal. Today, the results of the background check came in (I requested a copy of the results), and I'm pretty upset. The car salesman gig is no biggie, that cleared fine. What didn't was my work as a teacher. I claimed I was a teacher from March 2006 to March 2008 - which I was. I was a substitute teacher from March 06 to October 06, then I landed a permanent job as a PE Teacher until June 07. After quitting my job as a car salesman in December of 07, I was a substitute teacher again from January 08 until I got my current position in April of 08.

San Jose Unified School District claimed I was a teacher from October 2006 to June of 2007. The company doing the background check said 'cool' and left it at that - no request from me for W-2's or anything. The report comes in with a big red "Discrepancy" under that entry in employment history.

I've called my contact with Recruiting/HR within my company, but she hasn't returned my call. Is this sort of thing typical of background checks? I have W-2's verifying that I was indeed on San Jose Unified School District's payroll for 2008, but at this point the only person who knows that is me. They weren't hesitant to ask me for W-2's for my time as a car salesman, so it's not like they had no contact with me after the initial information dump.

Yes, background checks are full of little issues. The main thing we look for is the criminal and traffic offenses. What you described wouldn't ever leave the HR office.

We actually had one come back as a registered sex offender and it turned out the check was wrong. Makes your seem prety minor.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I already accepted the offer letter, but the background check didn't start until after that point. I'm not terribly worried, as this seems pretty trivial, but I'm also not pleased.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wouldn't worry about it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

tbh I'm gobsmacked that anyone bothers looking back that far on employment history - I couldn't even accurately account for mine Pre-Sports Interactive and the dates would be inherantly muddled because of it.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wouldn't worry about it. I work for one of the big car insurance companies and we do a very extensive check, 10 years back. I cut checks for tens of thousands of dollars every week and have access to 14 million policy holders personal data. I started in 2011 and had moved, changed jobs, been in school, etc...so many times in the ten years prior that I am certain that sort of thing was a mess.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, as others have said I wouldn't worry about it. The background checks are really to find major discrepancies. And anyone worth their salt in HR knows that minor things in yours happen all the time either through the fault of the applicant or in most cases the fault in the background check.

If it comes up, just mention you have W-2's to verify your employment. I doubt they'll care about it, but it seems like you have your ducks in a row anyway.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I already accepted the offer letter, but the background check didn't start until after that point. I'm not terribly worried, as this seems pretty trivial, but I'm also not pleased.

I'm sure there is some secret service or fbi job where this would matter. I'm also sure there is a dumb ass company out there somewhere that would make this a major issue.

The simple reality is we are talking .00000000005% of all jobs would need that level of detail.

If the background check shows a couple of traffic tickets or less and no felony convictions, you have zero to worry about. (and depending on the position a felony wouldn't hurt, provided you were honest on your application) Seriously, do not worry about

One other thing. . . if we have an issue with a background check at my current place of business, we don't wait until the next day to talk about it. We get to the bottom of it asap. If they have the background check and haven't called you, you're in good shape.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yes, background checks are full of little issues. The main thing we look for is the criminal and traffic offenses. What you described wouldn't ever leave the HR office.
Ooc, why do you care about traffic offenses?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Ooc, why do you care about traffic offenses?

I'm the director of a disaster restoration business. Any tech in a truck must have a good driving record. In most jobs, that wouldn't be a priority either. The background check is usually done for felonies. I don't think I've ever heard of someone losing a job over anything else.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

As an airline pilot we are subject to 10-yr FBI background checks, FAA certificate and training checks, and National Drivers Record checks. I have seen guys fired (after being hired) when something comes back that they previously didn't personally disclose in their application or interview. Even something as simple as a busted check ride when they were students to an arrest that was dismissed via plea and court order but somehow still showed up in their report even though it should have been gone years before.

In your case, yes it's annoying but it shouldn't be anything that hinders your ability to get the job or any other job where this would have to be done again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-04-2014 at 10:39 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Mrs Glen Here:

This is my 14th year as a substitute teacher. When the kids started coming, I wanted something that would allow me to be a stay at home mom, yet still bring in a few bucks on the side. I have taught exclusively for one school district in that time.

As a substitute, I am not considered on the regular payroll, and am not given the option to buy into benefits that regular teachers are offered. I am not a part of the local union, and do not dues. The only reason I had a job this morning is because the secretary called me yesterday. The only reason I will have a job in the future is because she will call me. I do not have tenure. If I screw up and need to be 'fired' the only action needed is to no longer call me. If you called HR at the District Office and asked for employment history on me, I am fairly certain that they would say that I am not an employee. So don't be upset with the school district, I think its just the nature of the job. It's erratic and unpredictable.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #14
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Mrs Glen Here:

This is my 14th year as a substitute teacher. When the kids started coming, I wanted something that would allow me to be a stay at home mom, yet still bring in a few bucks on the side. I have taught exclusively for one school district in that time.

As a substitute, I am not considered on the regular payroll, and am not given the option to buy into benefits that regular teachers are offered. I am not a part of the local union, and do not dues. The only reason I had a job this morning is because the secretary called me yesterday. The only reason I will have a job in the future is because she will call me. I do not have tenure. If I screw up and need to be 'fired' the only action needed is to no longer call me. If you called HR at the District Office and asked for employment history on me, I am fairly certain that they would say that I am not an employee. So don't be upset with the school district, I think its just the nature of the job. It's erratic and unpredictable.
On the one hand, I understand the difference - you're clearly different than a full-time employee/teacher. On the other hand, (I assume) you paid taxes and got a W-2. So while I could see the Teachers Union having no record of you, the school district certainly should. If Vince is trying to get hired at a different school that distinction is important, but for purposes of an employment history I don't see why it would be considered different than another part-time job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm the director of a disaster restoration business. Any tech in a truck must have a good driving record. In most jobs, that wouldn't be a priority either. The background check is usually done for felonies. I don't think I've ever heard of someone losing a job over anything else.
Makes sense. Making sure I don't have felonies (and the CORI checks for when I coach) are the only thing I've ever been asked about.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Got my phone call this morning, I have officially made it through the pre-screening process. Sigh of relief. Thanks for the correct advice that I had nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-05-2014 at 11:48 AM.