Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Star Wars Blu-Ray set for Fall 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWars.com
The Star Wars saga will at long last be released in a high-definition home video format as all six movies come to Blu-Ray in a Box Set in Fall 2011, as announced by George Lucas this morning at Celebration V. At the fan convention's Main Event, thousands of Star Wars fans braved the muggy heat of an Orlando morning to queue for a one-time only stage session between George Lucas and The Daily Show's Jon Stewart. Stewart asked Lucas questions submitted from the fan community, and one of the most frequently asked questions submitted online prior to the Main Event was about the saga's release on Blu-Ray.

"I wish I could say it was coming out this year," said Lucas, "but it will come out next year."

The set will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films, with the highest picture and audio quality, along with extensive special features.

Star Wars fans were treated to a glimpse of bonus material, in the form of a long-lost deleted scene from Return of the Jedi. The scene has long been talked about online -- a sequence that depicts Luke Skywalker assembling his new, green-bladed lightsaber prior to infiltrating Jabba the Hutt's palace. After completing the Jedi weapon, Luke stashes it in R2-D2's dome. What makes the Jedi deleted clip so remarkable is that it made it all the way to postproduction before it was cut, so it is a rare example of a cut scene with completed visual effects and music.

Actor Mark Hamill came out to describe the scene, remarking that once again his original introduction in a Star Wars film was cut out (his Anchorhead introduction was, of course, cut from A New Hope). Luke's intro is purposely played as ominous, with his face cowled in shadows and his intentions unclear."I had the black cloak, the glove, and I thought, wow, this time around I get to be the antagonist. Little did I know I was predicting the path of the prequels," said Hamill, noting the similarities to Luke in this scene and Anakin Skywalker's appearance.

The previously mentioned deleted scene

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

But is it the original version of the movies, or one of the 10,000 revised versions?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

spike hd is playing the original trilogy tonight. they look pretty good. i guess the original resolution was high enough for hd quality
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
But is it the original version of the movies, or one of the 10,000 revised versions?

I read elsewhere that it will be the special edition versions from several years ago and not the original versions, which Lucas said would've been too costly to enhance.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
i guess the original resolution was high enough for hd quality

High quality film is quite capable of resolutions far far greater than current "High Definition" resolution.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
spike hd is playing the original trilogy tonight. they look pretty good. i guess the original resolution was high enough for hd quality

The original resolution of just about every movie since the 30s is high enough for HD Quality. 35 mm film is something like 2150 horizontal pixels.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah that's what I assumed. Never thought about it before, but it seemed right to me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

I have the theatrical originals/special editions on DVD. I was surprised how good they looked in 720 upconvert. I don't know if I'll pony up for the BD editions.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I read elsewhere that it will be the special edition versions from several years ago and not the original versions, which Lucas said would've been too costly to enhance.
Fuck that and fuck Lucas. I used to care about Star Wars a great deal, but he's done a fantastic job of making me lose interest.

Greedo shot first - what a bunch of bullshit.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

Yeah,
how much money has he milked from "Star Wars?"

How about swallowing your ego and giving a little back to you original fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Fuck that and fuck Lucas. I used to care about Star Wars a great deal, but he's done a fantastic job of making me hate Star Wars.

Greedo shot first - what a bunch of bullshit.

fixed that.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 08-15-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I got a set of the original Original Trilogy on DVD at walmart.com a few months ago. Those will do just fine.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I got a set of the original Original Trilogy on DVD at walmart.com a few months ago. Those will do just fine.

I'm glad/surprised they still sell that. Ya, those have worked for me for 25 years, they will continue to do so.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hey now, lets not get too jumpy here...I still need a paycheck thank you.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Hey now, lets not get too jumpy here...I still need a paycheck thank you.

I'll tell you what, I'll buy the next enhanced version of these movies (which will presumably include extra Jar-Jar Binks scenes, and the Rancor replaced by something a little more family-friendly) just to hook you up. I can use the discs as coasters or something.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'll tell you what, I'll buy the next enhanced version of these movies (which will presumably include extra Jar-Jar Binks scenes, and the Rancor replaced by something a little more family-friendly) just to hook you up. I can use the discs as coasters or something.

Actually, we are replacing Chewbacca with one of the Ewoks and Padme comes back as a blue ghost that is having an affair with Obi-Wan. So, not sure if this is something you'll want to get though, but, it's in blu-ray extra special 3.5D. With the cool disc art, they should make awesome coasters.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote