Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Tasan
College Starter

DC area FOFCers

I'm going to be in DC the 4th through the 10th of October, and I'm looking for interesting places to eat and things to do. I've never been to DC when I could sight see, so of course I'm going to do that, but I imagine I'll have a few hours here and there to do something I haven't heard of. I'd also like to find good places to eat that won't break the bank. My wife will be with me on the weekend of the 4th, but during the days on the weekdays, I'm all to myself. Any ideas?

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Go down to Georgetown when you get a chance. Lots of places to go and eat. There's a great restaurant on the Potomac that looks down the river towards the Lincoln Center. It's called the Sequoia Restaurant. Sit outside at all costs and call ahead if you can.

Also, if you're an Exorcist movie fan, you can see the stairs in Georgetown where the priest falls to his death in the movie.

Another thing to consider is that there are all kinds of events at the various embassies that are open to the public. For example, I noticed a wine-tasting party at the French Embassy on October 4th. Below is a link that has a decent calendar of events. Some of the events are worth attending just to see the embassy building itself. Amazing architecture.

International Club of DC -"Discover your city. Discover your world"
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I'm going to be in DC the 4th through the 10th of October, and I'm looking for interesting places to eat and things to do. I've never been to DC when I could sight see, so of course I'm going to do that, but I imagine I'll have a few hours here and there to do something I haven't heard of. I'd also like to find good places to eat that won't break the bank. My wife will be with me on the weekend of the 4th, but during the days on the weekdays, I'm all to myself. Any ideas?

If you haven't been sight seeing, be sure to catch the Korean War memorial. It's a little hidden, but near the Lincoln Memorial. It's one of the better monuments IMO.

The Old Post Office Pavilion has a great view of the city that's a lot easier to get through than the Washington Monument.

It's somewhat random, but standing across from the White House while the helos came in or out was pretty cool.

If you want to see an absolutely amazing church the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on the Catholic University campus is incredible. The only problem is that's there's really nothing else out there, but it is Metro accessible.

If you might be interested in a night of theatre let me know and I'll make some recommendations about which shows/companies to see.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I totally forgot that it was October until just now. It's a great time in DC to do some of the ghost tours. Here's a pretty good list of some of the options available in the area........

Ghost Tours in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia

Even if you aren't a huge ghost fan, there's a lot of great historic information presented in the tours along with the chance to walk by and peek in the windows of some of the old buildings from the early years of Washington D.C. The first link on the list above (Washington Walks) is a great tour. They actually have different ghost tours each night of the week.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-29-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
chesapeake
College Starter

DC is a major metropolitan area with the best/biggest set of free museums in the world. A lot depends on what it is you like to do or see.

If you like planes and spacecraft, the Air and Space Museum is fun. But even better that that is the Udvar-Hazy Center out by Dulles, which has dozens of air and spacecrafts that won't fit in the main museum. Unless you have a car, though, getting there is a real pain in the backside. Provided you can get to Udvar-Hazy, you can blow a whole day looking at everything. It also has an IMAX theater.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

The ghost tour in Alexandria's pretty good. My wife and I did it last year and it was interesting to hear some of the stories, even the non-ghosty ones.

Zaytina is a very good mediterranean small plates restaurant in D.C. The chef (Jose Andres) has a number of restaurants in the area, but Zaytina is our favorite. It's over by Chinatown/Verizon Center, so very Metro accessible.

My favorite walk in D.C. is to start at Arlington National Cemetary and walk across the bridge into D.C., then along the monuments to the Capitol. It's a three or four mile walk (longer, depending on how much of the cemetary you want to see), but you'll walk right by ever major memorial, except for the Jefferson Memorial.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Can't really add much about food. I would recommend hitting some of the museums. Natural History, Air and Space and American History are my favorites. I think because some of live so close we often forget just how good the museums are.

Check out Smithsonian Institution for a full list.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
DC is a major metropolitan area with the best/biggest set of free museums in the world. A lot depends on what it is you like to do or see.

If you like planes and spacecraft, the Air and Space Museum is fun. But even better that that is the Udvar-Hazy Center out by Dulles, which has dozens of air and spacecrafts that won't fit in the main museum. Unless you have a car, though, getting there is a real pain in the backside. Provided you can get to Udvar-Hazy, you can blow a whole day looking at everything. It also has an IMAX theater.

The Udvar-Hazy Center is actually a place I was trying to figure out the best way to get to. I won't have a car, so its gotta be metro or foot or a combo of them, or something else. Any good ideas on how to get there?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Taxi. Getting to the Dulles area without a car is nearly impossible. Maybe one day the Metro will actually get there.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bus is the best and cheapest way to get to Dulles from the middle of DC. There is a bus line that runs from L'Enfant Plaza station all the way to Dulles. Cost is around $3. You may have to take a taxi from the airport to the hanger, but that shouldn't be more than a few dollars. It'll be MUCH cheaper than taking a taxi all the way to Dulles.

FYI.....here's the info on that specific bus line to Dulles.....

http://www.wmata.com/timetables/dc/5a.pdf

Edit: Whoops, I take that back. There's a free shuttle service from Dulles to the Museum, so you won't have to pay for taxi. All you'll have to pay for is the MetroBus ride.

Info about free shuttle on this page:

Ground Transportation from Airports to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-29-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FOFC DC Happy Hour at Glory Days in Burke is a must...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
FOFC DC Happy Hour at Glory Days in Burke is a must...

I'm not sure how that is a DC Happy Hour.

All the suggestions above are good. For food, hit up Ben's Chili Bowl if you can. For museums, there's not much better than the Holocaust Museum (get tickets ahead of time). I hear the Native American is fantastic as well. There is an abundance of free art museums, the Air and Space Museum, Natural History, etc, etc. Where exactly are you staying? I can give some better recommendations based on that. There may also be some smaller events going on at that time that would be fun to hit up.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm not sure how that is a DC Happy Hour.

All the suggestions above are good. For food, hit up Ben's Chili Bowl if you can. For museums, there's not much better than the Holocaust Museum (get tickets ahead of time). I hear the Native American is fantastic as well. There is an abundance of free art museums, the Air and Space Museum, Natural History, etc, etc. Where exactly are you staying? I can give some better recommendations based on that. There may also be some smaller events going on at that time that would be fun to hit up.

We're in Ballston, in the Arlington area. It was a 15 minute ride to the Smithsonian district this afternoon. We went from there, to the Jefferson Mem, then back across to FDR's, up to Lincoln's, across by the Korean War's, over to WWII, then up past the White House and back on the metro. That was a very full afternoon. We don't leave til Friday, so weekday evening recommendations are much appreciated. I have my days all mapped out with museums and monuments while my wife is stuck in training all day. The nights (including dinner) are ours though. I'm planning on making reservations at the Sequoia Restaurant from the recommendation on here. Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm planning on making reservations at the Sequoia Restaurant from the recommendation on here. Keep 'em coming.

You'll love it, especially the view on the outside deck. There's also some pretty large yachts that tie up on the docks right next to the restaurant.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
chesapeake
College Starter

We brought out our best weekend weather for you. I hope you appreciate it.

I wish I ate out more so I could give you some decent recommendations. About the only place I go with any frequency is Les Halles on Pennsylvania Ave downtown. Good French food. The Hangar steak is good.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
We're in Ballston, in the Arlington area. It was a 15 minute ride to the Smithsonian district this afternoon. We went from there, to the Jefferson Mem, then back across to FDR's, up to Lincoln's, across by the Korean War's, over to WWII, then up past the White House and back on the metro. That was a very full afternoon. We don't leave til Friday, so weekday evening recommendations are much appreciated. I have my days all mapped out with museums and monuments while my wife is stuck in training all day. The nights (including dinner) are ours though. I'm planning on making reservations at the Sequoia Restaurant from the recommendation on here. Keep 'em coming.

There are some places in Arlington that are good as well, such as Ray's the Steaks. And if you want something low key, I always enjoy some Hard Times Cafe.

I haven't been to the Newseum, but it is supposed to be amazing. Unfortunately it is one of the very few museums in the city that is not free. I actually work just a few blocks from the Lincoln memorial and run by it, the WWII and the Jefferson on my lunchtime runs (which have not been very frequent lately. )

Is there anything in particular you are looking for in a dinner? I mostly know more low-key, non-tourist places.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Tasan
College Starter

I think we're set for dinner now. Ray's the Steak was recommended to my wife at her training, and its only 2 stops down on the metro from where we are. Wednesday night I think we'll be in Alexandria for the ghost walk, and Thursday night we have reservations at the Sequoia, and we're on the plane Friday night. Thanks for all the great suggestions folks. As usual, FOFC comes through.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
There are some places in Arlington that are good as well, such as Ray's the Steaks. And if you want something low key, I always enjoy some Hard Times Cafe.

I haven't been to the Newseum, but it is supposed to be amazing. Unfortunately it is one of the very few museums in the city that is not free. I actually work just a few blocks from the Lincoln memorial and run by it, the WWII and the Jefferson on my lunchtime runs (which have not been very frequent lately. )

Is there anything in particular you are looking for in a dinner? I mostly know more low-key, non-tourist places.

Thanks a bunch on the heads up on Hard Times Cafe. We originally planned on going down to Ray's the Steak, and got off at Clarendon on a bad direction. I spotted the cafe and mentioned it to my wife and we set off for Rays. After that long walk to Rays, and deciding we didn't want to pay that much for dinner tonight, we hopped back on the Metro at Rosalyn and headed back to Clarendon to eat at Hard Times. It was great! Their takes on chili pleased even my wife, who isn't really a fan. We enjoyed our meal and would recommend it to anyone wanting a more laid back meal.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks a bunch on the heads up on Hard Times Cafe. We originally planned on going down to Ray's the Steak, and got off at Clarendon on a bad direction. I spotted the cafe and mentioned it to my wife and we set off for Rays. After that long walk to Rays, and deciding we didn't want to pay that much for dinner tonight, we hopped back on the Metro at Rosalyn and headed back to Clarendon to eat at Hard Times. It was great! Their takes on chili pleased even my wife, who isn't really a fan. We enjoyed our meal and would recommend it to anyone wanting a more laid back meal.

Glad I could help. As I said, I am more knowledgeable on the everyday places. Hard Times was always the fallback for my wife and I when she lived in the Clarendon/Court House area. The Indian place next door to it is decent as well. I also think that Boulevard Woodgrill (a little more expensive) has the best french toast ever made (I've only been there for brunch).

Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That being said, the Hard Times in Fairfax City near GMU is beyond disgusting. Ate there last night for the first time and got my whole family sick. Ugh.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #21
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I also get Hard Times at about 90% of the Nationals games I go to.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
I also get Hard Times at about 90% of the Nationals games I go to.

So you're the other person in the stands?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Hard Times is good, but real Cincy chili only comes from Skyline.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #24
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
So you're the other person in the stands?

Season ticket holder! 135B, Seats 5 and 6!