Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #1
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Exclamation Explosions in London

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Britain has launched an intense search for those responsible for a series of four coordinated bombings Thursday in London's transport system that killed at least 37 people and wounded 700.

"There will, of course, be the most intense police and security service action to make sure that we bring those responsible to justice," said British Prime Minister Tony Blair. (Full story)

Police do not know whether suicide bombers carried out the attacks or whether bombs had been left in packages on the Underground or in buses, according to Brian Paddick, Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner.

"There is no indication that these were anything other than conventional explosives," he said, adding that there was no information yet on the size or type of devices used.

Paddick said it wasn't clear whether the bombs were on the trains or in the tunnels.

"It would seem likely that the devices were on the trains, but that will be confirmed by" investigators, he said.

The Group of al Qaeda of Jihad Organization in Europe claimed responsibility in a Web site posting. The authenticity of the claim could not immediately be verified.

Blair stressed that the bombers did not reflect the views of most Muslims.

"We know that these people act in the name of Islam, but we also know that the vast and overwhelming majority of Muslims here and abroad are decent, law abiding people who abhor the act of terrorism every bit as much as we do," he said.

Blair had flown back to London from the G8 summit in Scotland, after the bombing.

In Washington, U.S. Homeland Defense Secretary Michael Chertoff told a news conference the U.S. national threat level would be raised to orange for "regional and inner city passenger rail, subways and metropolitan bus systems." (Full story)

In London, witnesses described the horror of seeing victims dying and with serious injuries. There were scenes of panic as power failed on crowded underground trains, and tunnels filled with smoke.

"We were all trapped like sardines waiting to die," said Angelo Power. "I honestly thought I was going to die, as did everyone else."

CNN's Charles Hodson, reporting from the scene of one of the bombings, said London had ground to a halt as the subway and bus systems were shut down by the attacks.

The death toll was expected to rise and London hospitals reported many people in critical and serious condition.

Three of the blasts took place in the city's subway system and one more hit a double-decker bus, all at the height of rush hour.

International SOS, an international medical emergency service, reported that the police had found explosive traces in at least one of four confirmed blast locations.

Scotland Yard's Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick told a news conference that there had been 33 deaths in the three train incidents plus an unknown number of fatalities in the bus attack.

There had been no warnings given and the police had received no claim of responsibility for the attacks, he said -- though he later added that police were aware of the Web site claim by a self-proclaimed al Qaeda-linked group and would be looking at it.

Hospital officials have reported at least 160 wounded. London transit officials shut down the entire Underground and stopped buses in the central city district.

Paddick said the first explosion had come at 8:51 a.m. BST (0351 ET) near Liverpool Street, Aldgate and Aldgate East Underground stations, where seven were confirmed dead.

At 8:56 a.m. there was a second explosion on a Piccadilly Line train near Kings Cross and Russell Square tube stations, where 21 were confirmed dead.

At 9:17 a.m. there was an explosion on a train traveling into Edgware Road station, affecting two other trains, with five confirmed dead.

At 9:47 a.m. there was an explosion on a bus at Upper Woburn Place near Tavistock Square. Fatalities have been confirmed, but the number is unknown at this stage.

Scotland Yard issued a casualty hotline number: 0870 1566 344.

There were 700-900 people on each of the affected trains at the time, he added.

"This is a callous attack on purely innocent members of the public deliberately designed to kill and injure members of the public," Paddick said.

In a response to a question asking if security had been increased during the time of the G8 summit, he said that the security level had been "high" over recent months.

"We have had all the security services actively engaged in anti terrorism activity in this period," he said.

Blair, in Scotland where he is hosting the G8 summit, told reporters he would leave the summit for a "face to face" report in London and then return later in the evening.

"It's reasonably clear there have been a series of terrorist attacks in London," Blair said. "There are obviously casualties, both people that have died and people that are seriously injured."

Blair said it was "also reasonably clear" that the attacks were timed to coincide with the opening of the summit.

"It's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems of poverty in Africa and the long-term problems with the environment," he said.

Just before leaving for London, Blair made a second statement, surrounded by the other leaders present at the conference.

"All of our countries have suffered from the impact of terrorism," he said. "Those responsible have no respect for human life. We are united in our resolve to confront and defeat this terrorism that is not an attack on one nation, but all nations and on civilized people everywhere."

U.S. President George W. Bush was among the somber leaders who stood behind Blair as he spoke.

"We will not yield to these people, will not yield to the terrorists," he said in a short statement after Blair departed. "We will find them, we will bring them to justice, and at the same time we will spread an ideology of hope and compassion that will overwhelm their ideology of hate."

London Mayor Ken Livingstone said the blasts were "mass murder" carried out by terrorists bent on "indiscriminate ... slaughter." (Full story)

The Web site claim of responsibility by a self-proclaimed and previously unheard of al Qaeda group in Europe said the blasts were "in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"Here is Britain burning now out of fear and horror in its north, south east and west," the statement said, translated from Arabic by CNN. "We have often and repeatedly warned the British government and people." (Full story)

Telephones down

Despite calls from officials to stay home, Londoners were on the streets except in areas where they were barred by police.

Police cordoned off areas around six stations in and around the city's center and financial area and brought in sniffer dogs to check the areas.

Telephone traffic -- particularly by cell phone -- was nearly impossible. London's largest cellular provider, Vodafone, said it had devoted much of its network to emergency services, causing the problems with subscribers.

One man, with blood streaming down the left side of his face from a wound on his temple, said he didn't "want to live through it again."

"I was in the front carriage and people were severely injured there," he said, dispassionately, adding that his train had been in the tunnel between King's Cross and Russell Square. "I heard, but I don't know, that people were hurt worse further back. "Some people were very calm, others very panicky."

"There was a very loud bang, the lights went out, the carriage filled with smoke," he said. "We were all thrown forward."

Scotland Yard sent out a notice saying that "public transport in London will be affected in the next few days."

Claire Burroughs, spokeswoman for St. Mary's Hospital in central London, told CNN the hospital was on "major incident alert." Four patients were critically injured, eight were seriously injured and 14 others were being treated for minor injuries, she said.

"The types of injuries we are seeing include limb damage, burns, cuts, breaks, head injuries and chest problems due to smoke inhalation," Burroughs said.

London Hospital said it received 95 patients, most with minor injuries. Ten, however were listed in serious condition and seven in critical condition as well as "numerous with significant orthopedic injuries requiring immediate surgery."

Royal London Hospital, in east London near Aldgate station, said it had admitted 16 patients, 10 of them in critical condition. St. Bartholomew's hospital said it had treated and released 36 patients and had admitted two others.

CNN cameraman Oran O'Reilly said he has seen seven of the city's famed double-decker buses as well as police cars and ambulances arriving with casualties.

Jarvis Medhurst told CNN: "I was working at the Tavistock Hotel and a bus exploded literally 40 meters away from me. There was a massive explosion and a cloud of smoke, and then when the smoke stated to die down, you could see the wrecked bus, which was on fire.

"There were bodies everywhere. Heads and bits of bodies, heads and arms and legs all ripped away.

"There seemed to be kids lying around as well as adults. I'm just in shock, it's something I'll never forget."

O'Reilly, who was at Aldgate station, saw passengers coming out of it with signs of smoke inhalation -- black smudges around their mouths and noses.

"They're pushing people away from the tube (train) station," O'Reilly said. "Police are telling us to evacuate the street."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...ube/index.html

EDIT: Updated the report again, 2:43PM Eastern

Last edited by ice4277 : 07-07-2005 at 01:42 PM.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've got a sick feeling in my stomach about this one.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah this isn't looking good. Maybe a power surge could cause subway problems, but bus explosions?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
Emiliano
College Prospect

I'm watching the news right now. They're saying that 90 people are killed and wounded.
I have no words.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:06 AM   #5
Coder
College Prospect

Oh shit.. they're saying terrorists now... Olympics yesterday and G8 meeting in Scotland.. the world's eyes were on the British Isles..

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I can't see how it really could be anything but terrorists, but the big question obviously is, who?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's bad... explosions confirmed on 2 buses, "power surges" on the underground in a number of places and rumour of a huge incident with a train at Kings Cross. Again, no words right now just incredibly fucking angry and worried for all the people I know that work in London.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
Alf
Pro Starter

(stupid joke inserted)
Maybe the guys are french bombers ?
(/end stupi joke)
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That's sooo crazy. I saw it and knew it was terrorists. This is not good. I hope they get to the bottom of it.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
Super Ugly
High School JV

My friends emailed me to say that they're okay. One of them got off the train ten minutes before there was an explosion ... pretty lucky, huh?
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 AM   #11
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm just so fucking mad that terrorists would do this, especially on the day after the Olympics announcement, it's like they have to take a happy moment and just kick it into the mud with this kind of mass murder.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly
My friends emailed me to say that they're okay. One of them got off the train ten minutes before there was an explosion ... pretty lucky, huh?

Yes, this is really nuts. Glad they're ok.

I don't know what the terrorists are thinking...there has to be some sort of bigger thing that we're not catching.

Like, would they have done this in Paris had they gotten it? I don't think it's Olympic timed..but it doesn't seem like a coincidence.

This is beyond crazy. But in a way, it's good all of the world leaders are together when something like this happens. If for no other reason than it forces them to confront the realities of a situation that most people think has gone away, when it's obviously alive and well.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 AM   #13
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I'm just so fucking mad that terrorists would do this, especially on the day after the Olympics announcement, it's like they have to take a happy moment and just kick it into the mud with this kind of mass murder.

WTF????

so if they had done it 3 or 4 days ago it would have been a bit better? christ.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:25 AM   #14
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
WTF????

I don't know what you're reading into my post but I didn't mean anything like that.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:28 AM   #15
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m
WTF????

I don't think that's what he meant

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 AM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

This really sucks, and we need to wait and see how is will all shake out. Remember how much misinformation there was during 9-11? I want to remain calm, and pray for the best.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #17
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think man u fans will probably try to pin this on glazer. whoops wrong thread..

I have several friends who work outta london.. one of which i can't get ahold of.. i'm worried
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:41 AM   #18
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The cell phone coverage is down in London right now, I haven't been able to get hold of my friends either.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:43 AM   #19
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I pray this is an isolated incident.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #20
Francis_Cole
SI Games

Just got into work, the streets are probably the most packed ive ever seen them.
Also about the cell coverage - I know most major operators have now put into effect their emergency policies, where the government and emergency services get all the mobile bandwidth etc
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 AM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This is horrible. My thoughts are with them.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:04 AM   #22
MIJB#19
Coordinator

On the Dutch TV, the Dutch correspondent in Israel told that the Israeli ambessador in London confirmed that Israeli Netanyahu was having a meeting in London at one of the sites of explosion. They also said that Scotland Yard warned him in time to be brought in safety...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:06 AM   #23
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

I was in Madrid the day of our attack. I wish it´s the half the bad of ours (but I´ve a lot of fears). You are not alone
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:06 AM   #24
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

ABC news is reporting that: ?Al Qaeda Jihad? has claimed responsibility and claims Denmark is next if they don't pull troops out of Iraq.
Does anyone know how many people are in an Al Qaeda cell? Its reported that there were up to 8 explosions.

Last edited by CHEMICAL SOLDIER : 07-07-2005 at 06:08 AM.
CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #25
Icy
Pro Starter

This reminds me what we suffered in Madrid a year ago (11th March 2004). My thoughts are with all the London citizens. I really hope one day the terrorists will pay it as the ones in Spain who ended blasted by their own bomb when the police had them surrounded.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

my thoughts are out to everyone with anything to do with England .. London specifically this morning
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:47 AM   #28
Blackadar
Retired

My co-workers' daughter is on a school trip there...I hope she's ok.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #29
MIJB#19
Coordinator

BBC: 7 explosions, at least 2 confirmed fatalities.

FWIW, I'm impressed about how relaxed the English tv is bringing all the facts and only facts. CNN and the Dutch tv are chaotic and making a mess of all the news snippets.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #30
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

CNN is saying 2 killed, 90 wounded. Hopefully that's the end of this, terrible stuff.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #31
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Interesting, the government only confirms 4 explosions.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-07-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:08 AM   #32
Tara
Mascot

Wordless
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #33
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Interesting, the government only confirms 4 explosions.

Apparently, the same explosions were reported multiple times - a train between two stations, reported by both stations kind of stuff.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #34
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Apparently, the same explosions were reported multiple times - a train between two stations, reported by both stations kind of stuff.
That perfectly makes sense. The eyewitnesses were speaking about being caught in between stations by explosion on the train.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #35
Francis_Cole
SI Games

FWIW, I'm impressed about how relaxed the English tv is bringing all the facts and only facts

I wouldn't say its just been "relaxed", I would have thought there was little point in speculating about figures until the resuce mission at Kings Cross has finished
Old 07-07-2005, 07:23 AM   #36
Tara
Mascot

I'm looking at BBC and italian tv now. Three main explosion and other four smaller one. BBC desn't give a precise number of victims, italian tv claims there are at least 50 victims. But our tv generally tends to make things bigger. I hope there aren't so much.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #37
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

Like, would they have done this in Paris had they gotten it? I don't think it's Olympic timed..but it doesn't seem like a coincidence.

the same I've tought as soon I've heard about the attack. Maybe this is against countries who followed Bush in Iraq...but on the other hand I think that when you deal with people moved by faith (fanatism) and moreover moved by other people who control a lot of money (oil ) there are very few explanations.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #38
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis_Cole
FWIW, I'm impressed about how relaxed the English tv is bringing all the facts and only facts

I wouldn't say its just been "relaxed", I would have thought there was little point in speculating about figures until the resuce mission at Kings Cross has finished
My lack of knowledge of words in the English language may let down there, but I tried to point out that I was impressed by the way the BBC is bringing the news in a professional way and makes me feel I don't get non-sense, hype and lies until facts are confirmed.

It's a saddening happening of course, but the way people cope with it can clearly be different from place to place. I tried to point that out.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #39
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

I come home from work and for the first time I get straight onto my computer and FOFC, and this is the first thing I see ..... See if I do that again. Yes, I'm superstitious.

This is bull .... god I'm so tired of this ....

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 07-07-2005 at 07:43 AM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #40
SFL Cat
College Starter

Sad news indeed. If there is a bright spot, at least it doesn't look like they were able to hit a single large concentration of people. There won't be 3,000-4,000 dead like when those bastards hit the WTC in New York.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #41
Critch
lolzcat

There are some stories coming out now that at least one of the explosions was a suicide bomber. The explosion on the bus seems to have been confirmed, as much as anything has been confirmed yet.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #42
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm not sure why folks are pointing to the Olympics...

From the standpoint of terrorist motivations, the G8 summit seems like a much more logical explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #43
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I'm not sure why folks are pointing to the Olympics...

From the standpoint of terrorist motivations, the G8 summit seems like a much more logical explanation.

Agreed.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 AM   #44
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just from a planning perspective, the Olympic angle doesn't make much sense. And given that the general consensus is that the terrorists have stayed away from the Olympics because it might cause the opposite reaction than what they want (given the world ties, not just "us"), that wouldn't make sense either. It's obviously G8-related.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #45
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

There've been around 6-7 explosions here, most in tube stations* and at least one on a bus.

Everyone at SI has reported in and are fine (as are all friends/relatives of people here to my knowledge).

Trains and busses have been suspended and I believe the police/army are checking them all for further bombs, beyond that now everyones reported in and my family know I'm ok - I'm getting on with coding, life goes on ...

*I jammily missed the Kings Cross one by around and hour and a half - Neil from SI lives across the road from the station and reported things as they happened there ..

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-07-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #46
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Just from a planning perspective, the Olympic angle doesn't make much sense. And given that the general consensus is that the terrorists have stayed away from the Olympics because it might cause the opposite reaction than what they want (given the world ties, not just "us"), that wouldn't make sense either. It's obviously G8-related.

Or it's Iraq related and the timing was just random. I mean the timing of 9/11 didn't really signfiy anything as far as I recall.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #47
SFL Cat
College Starter

I think Tony Blair said as much (G8) during his comments earlier.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #48
timmynausea
College Starter

I hope Ali G is ok.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #49
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Or it's Iraq related and the timing was just random. I mean the timing of 9/11 didn't really signfiy anything as far as I recall.
But the Madrid attack was just before the local governmental elections and arguably affected the outcome of the elections.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #50
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
There've been around 6-7 explosions here, most in tube stations* and at least one on a bus.

Everyone at SI has reported in and are fine (as are all friends/relatives of people here to my knowledge).

Trains and busses have been suspended and I believe the police/army are checking them all for further bombs, beyond that now everyones reported in and my family know I'm ok - I'm getting on with coding, life goes on ...

*I jammily missed the Kings Cross one by around and hour and a half - Neil from SI lives across the road from the station and reported things as they happened there ..

Glad to hear everyone is safe.