Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
MJ4H
Coordinator

Got an iPod today

First of all, I'd like to thank the poker fishies of the world for buying me this fine product.

This is quite an amazing little dude. I knew it would be otherwise I wouldn't have paid through the nose for it, but wow. I'm having a ball uploading to this thing so far. I've already taken an hour walk today with my dog to try out the ipod. It is fabulous.

I wanted to get the thing, besides just for the general utility of the thing, because I thought it would help motivate me to exercise more. So far, I was dead on. I got back from my walk today and wanted to go right back out. I'm not sure I could rave about this thing anymore without sounding silly, so I will stop.

Way to go, Apple. You got one right.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Word.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One of US! ONE OF US!

Welcome to Ipod Nation
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Congrats, enjoy for the 18 months it works.

batteries work a lot better now. Mine is at the 16 month mark now, no issues.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Old 03-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow. what's funny is, I got an iPod today too. It rocks!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Everyone keeps telling me I need to get one, but I'm not really sure why. I have a 256 MB Iriver for working out that holds way more songs than I could work out to in one session. I don't want to cart the damn thing around in my car like I used to in 1990 with my first portable CD player (sitting on the passenger seat), I don't listen to music anywhere except in my car and in my house, and I'm nowhere near ready to stop buying CDs and start downloading inferior-sounding files.

Am I missing something, or am I just not the target audience for one of these?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-14-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Everyone keeps telling me I need to get one, but I'm not really sure why. I have a 256 MB Iriver for working out that holds way more songs than I could work out to in one session. I don't want to cart the damn thing around in my car like I used to in 1990 with my first portable CD player (sitting on the passenger seat), I don't listen to music anywhere except in my car and in my house, and I'm nowhere near ready to stop buying CDs and start downloading inferior-sounding files.

Am I missing something, or am I just not the target audience for one of these?

I will NEVER stop buying CDs either (Me and you are cut from the same cloth here K).

I would say that in my instance, an ipod is the greatest thing to have. I take the bus and bike around town. Bus rides can be up to 90 minutes long sometimes. I like having the option to listen to any inspiration I wish.

I am an album guy. I usually will listen to a whole album at a time. That is what makes the ipod better than a smaller capacity music player.

I would probably say what you have now is all you need. I still listen to the cd when I am at home. That won't change either. If you desire to carry around a larger library of music, I would suggest getting an ipod over other brands of large capacity mp3 players.

Don't waste your money on it just to have one. Spend that cash on a fistful of kick ass CDs.

rock on!
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman

...don't believe the hype...

Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well, it's not for everyone Ksyrup. I got one specifically because I was tired of messing around with carting tons of CDs around in my car, it will be so much easier to just carry one tiny iPod. I listen to music mostly in the car, and sometimes at home, as well as when I travel, which is fairly frequently. A lot of iPod owners still buy CDs too, since you can rip them to your PC and iPod at high compression rates (a good bit better than what you find online) to get a very good sound.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #11
Easy Mac

Weird, I got a mini last Friday from my girlfriend for my birthday. Its pretty damn sweet. I only have it about half-way filled though... I just can't find enough of the songs on my computer that I would care to listen to throughout the day (~450 songs on there now). Of course, I still need to transfer about 90 CDs to my computer, so eventually I should have it filled up. I also like being able to use it as a usb drive. I have about 1.5 gigs of free space for when I need to move big files to and fro computers.

KSyrup, I think its for people like me who just wants some songs from some CD's, and I don't really care the order they come up in. I don't want to have to switch CD's every hour at work, so why not just spin my thumb a bit and have a whole new group of songs.

I will say that certain CD's just don't mix well with other songs. The Streets and tMV need to be heard as a whole, becuase something is missing with individual songs, but things like the Zutons or the Coral can just be mixed and matched (literally, they sound the same.)

And unless its something like tMV, you don't really notice the sound quality (especially with headphones). But I always encode at least 192, and they say normal people don't really notice any difference at around 128 (I think thats BS, I can notice things sounding a little more flat at 128, but 192 seems to be a perfect sound/size compromise for me).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I am an album guy. I usually will listen to a whole album at a time. That is what makes the ipod better than a smaller capacity music player.

You and I are definitely very much alike. I am the same way. Ironically, it is the ability to shuffle tracks that seems to be one of the selling points for the ipod among the people trying to convince me, which doesn't interest me at all.

In fact, even on my little 256MB MP3 player, I have 4 full albums loaded up - tonight when I work out I suspect I'll probably listen to either Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake or Megadeth's System Has Failed.

My only problem with continuing to buy CDs is space. I'm seriously running out of it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
If you desire to carry around a larger library of music, I would suggest getting an ipod over other brands of large capacity mp3 players.
!

Why does everybody always say this? Do they just like to spend more money? Passacaglia got a 40 gig RCA mp3 player for $250. Why should people spend more for the Ipod?

I don't mean to sound snotty, but I'm getting an mp3 player soon myself and I see no reason to pay more unless it's to join the Ipod "club."

Last edited by lurker : 03-14-2005 at 05:09 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #14
Ksyrup

That was going to be my other question - what makes ipod the one to get?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
You're welcome.

haha
Old 03-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #16
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
First of all, I'd like to thank the poker fishies of the world for buying me this fine product.

You're welcome.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #17
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Why does everybody always say this? Do they just like to spend more money? Passacaglia got a 40 gig RCA mp3 player for $250. Why should people spend more for the Ipod?

I don't mean to sound snotty, but I'm getting an mp3 player soon myself and I see no reason to pay more unless it's to join the Ipod "club."

For me, it's the ease of use, and quality of product. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I have owned 3 ipods (plus 1 i bought for my ex wife). I never had an issue with any of them (only reason i bought 3 is because they weren't large enough for my library)...battery or otherwise. Solid product that works slick as hell with itunes. Great for what I want.

I guess, if I chose another player before my first ipod, I might not be in the same position. Yet, there was something that intrigued me about apple putting out a large capacity mp3 player back in 2001. Luck of the draw for me I imagine.

(and I wouldn't tell anybody to chose an ipod over anything else, cause I have not used anything else or know of anybody I am close to who has something other than an ipod. I would, of course tell whomever is buying something like this to ask as many people as they can why they like a certain product.)
Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #18
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

My only problem with continuing to buy CDs is space. I'm seriously running out of it.

I hear ya cluckin' big chicken!

Floor space is a concern of mine as well. CD stands aren't the cheapest things in the world either.

Still, there is something to be said about walking into a room and seeing 1500+ CDs and saying "what do I want to listen to today"

Old 03-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Creative makes a very solid 40 gig model. I don't think IPods are the end all. There are others that are every bit as good.

I just use my Axim. Have 2gigs worth of memory cards. Enough for movies, games, excel spreadsheets I use for work and music. I think I have seven albums in memory right now and I'll change them out as I get bored with the current lot. The three hundred CD changer hooked to the receiver handles everything else.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
I hear ya cluckin' big chicken!

Floor space is a concern of mine as well. CD stands aren't the cheapest things in the world either.

Still, there is something to be said about walking into a room and seeing 1500+ CDs and saying "what do I want to listen to today"

Yep.

I've got two wall units that hold around 750 each. In order to save some room, I took all of my bootlegs and put them in slim cases. Still, I've only got about 2 rows left.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #21
MJ4H
Coordinator

Every other mp3 player i found in my research either cost more, had less space, or less functionality. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #22
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm, when i was doing my research every other model had more space, same functionality and cost less.

But Apple owns the design, for looks and use. Their new stuff seems to be much more reasonably priced.

I ended up with an iRiver 1gb, with a nice pair of buds.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-14-2005 at 07:53 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #23
sooner333
College Starter

I have an older model Zen from creative labs with 20 GB. Basically their software is useless which makes organizing the device useless. I have Itunes on my computer, much easier and user friendly--really making me want to upgrade to an Ipod like my sister did on Saturday.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #24
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Sooner333 I really dont know what you are talking about, I found the Creative Nomad Xtra 40GB player for $219 and the included Creative MediaSource Program is excellent...
Old 03-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #25
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
Sooner333 I really dont know what you are talking about, I found the Creative Nomad Xtra 40GB player for $219 and the included Creative MediaSource Program is excellent...

Mine just uses the playcenter, there is no MediaSource program unforutnately. Basically what was bad for me was, when I changed my id tags in Itunes or Winamp, they didn't carry over to the creative software. Also, ordering the songs was really hard, since there was no way to drag and drop with ease. And, once a song was in a playlist, it couldn't be in another playlist.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #26
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have a Dell Jukebox and have enjoyed it. I won't say it is better than an IPOD, but I think it is every bit as good and I feel like I got a little more bang for my buck.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #27
Anthony
Banned

my wife got me a RCA Lyra it doesn't hold many songs - probably 2 or 3 cd's worth.

it's great, cuz even if i don't have enough songs it has a radio tuner built in. my friend owns an ipod and he has a ton of shit on it (by shit i mean nonsense), i guess he'd feel guilty about not filling it up as much as possible. i for one don't need to put sound clips of The Family Guy on my mp3 player or comedy bits from various shows just cuz i have the space. i have about 20-something songs, that's enough for my commute. at any given time there's only about a cd or two worth of songs i want to hear anyway, so what i have is sufficient. i'm the kind of music listener that will listen to a cd 15-20 times in a row or even more until i get tired of it, then i move on to the next one. maybe the ipod mini would be cool - i really don't need all that much space for a gazillion songs because i don't believe in leaving stuff in the player that won't get listened to. once i get tired of the songs i have i put in new ones. no need for a regular ipod. i'm not big on fad items anyway, i'm not one of those "if everyone has it then i have to have it" kinda guys. but if you have one that must be cool. i ain't gonna be a playa hata.

me with songs is the same as me with DVD's - i don't buy DVD's just to own them. whatever DVD i've bought was purchased with the intention of watching it at least 4 or 5 times. i don't buy DVD's just cuz i have the space to store them.

Last edited by Anthony : 03-14-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Every other mp3 player i found in my research either cost more, had less space, or less functionality. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Not trying to talk you out of your purchase sir. Happy you are pleased with it.

Just pointing out that there are other alternatives. The one consistent knock on the Zen is that it's bigger and bulkier than the IPod. It actually plays WMA files and it has a much longer battery life and it's cheaper than the IPod.

All depends on what you want your product for. I have a couple of friends who have the zen touch and they love em. To each his/her own.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #29
Zippo
High School JV

I can't believe I managed to live without an ipod for such a long time.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:46 AM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo
I can't believe I managed to live without an ipod for such a long time.

I feel the same way about TiVo right now...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 AM   #31
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I got the iPod Shuffle a couple weeks ago, I love it. It may not be the best one out there but for $99, I couldn't be happier.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #32
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am very happy with my new iPod, in fact I can't believe I waited so long to get one, it's amazing!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #33
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
I have an older model Zen from creative labs with 20 GB. Basically their software is useless which makes organizing the device useless. I have Itunes on my computer, much easier and user friendly--really making me want to upgrade to an Ipod like my sister did on Saturday.

This really the part that answers Ksyrup's question above. iTunes is the premier music organization and ripping program, it's free, and the iPod connects right to it.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #34
Philliesfan980
Banned

How is the IPOD in the car? What I'm looking to do is to run the IPOD through a portable FM modulator (not a hard wire version). I've heard mixed results, but what do you guys think? I'm not extra critical about my sound quality, basically, as long as there's no static I'll be happy.

Thanks!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #35
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
How is the IPOD in the car? What I'm looking to do is to run the IPOD through a portable FM modulator (not a hard wire version). I've heard mixed results, but what do you guys think? I'm not extra critical about my sound quality, basically, as long as there's no static I'll be happy.

Thanks!

I've been using the DLo car adapter for the past couple weeks and haven't had any problems. The sound quality is definitely not top notch, but as long as you have stations with nothing but static, you'll be in good shape.

I did read a lot of bad reports on them though, so maybe I just got lucky.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 AM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I use the Itrip.. pretty good power.. wish I could juice it up a bit