Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Icy
Pro Starter

Ping Wii owners

I'm going to join this "club" soon and as a totally Wii newbie I need advice

My 2 years old Ps3 broke 1.5 months ago (bluray lens). I sent it to Sony as it still was one month more under warranty and they took 5 weeks to send me a refurbished one as my early model is not in production anymore.

In the mean time, and tired of waiting, i decided to buy a new one. So i decided to sell/exchange the refurbished PS3 as soon as it came from Sony and to keep the new purchased one that is an improvement over my early model (way less heating, less noise, upgraded bluray drive).

I have received an offer to exchange that refurbished PS3 for a wii + extra controllers + cash. I was thinking on only cash at first, but i think it is a good deal and maybe this could be the chance to get my wife into consoles, as she has already showed curiosity about the wii a few times
as party console to play with friends and with our son once he grows a bit more.

So my questions is, which games do you recommend and why? mainly for party gaming, women or even something fun but educative for my kid that is still a bit young (1.5 years) but that already shows a lot of interest on games and enjoys using a controller along with me when i play in the PS3.

I doubt i'll play it alone as i only play sports games and mainly in the PS3, but i'm curious about sports games using the wii controller (baseball, golf, tennis, boxing, etc).

Also what about peripherals? I have seen a lot of sports related extras to plug in your standard Wii controllers for added realism.

Have any of you tried the wii fit? and Rock band with accessories?

Do i need any memory card or something to store downloaded content or save games or can i use an external usb HDD?

Thanks in advance.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Swaggs
Coordinator

Boom Blox and Rockband or Guitar Hero are great party games.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Boom Blox. My wife and kid both love that game.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I am a big fan of Guitar Hero: World Tour. The track list isn't my favorite- but that's true of both RB2 and GH:WT. They're definitely going for quantity over quality now. However, having the extra instruments adds a fun dimension that makes it worth picking up another game for.

This isn't meant to recommend GHWT vs RB2. But to say that the newer generation with the extra instruments adds something that makes buying 1 of those worth doing. Frankly, I went with GH:WT since on the Wii, those instruments are compatible with RB2 whereas RB2 instruments are not compatible with GH:WT. Plus, the GH instruments feel more solid and better made to me. In the end, I own both games but the GH instruments.

FYI: The GH:WT instruments do *not* work with the original RB for Wii. So, if you get RB- those instruments work on RB1/RB2 but not GHWT. The GHWT instruments work with GHWT and RB2.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Good for local multiplayer: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, obviously Wii Sports which comes with the console. The sequel to Wii Sports is coming out in July.

Sports games: PES 2009 (Wii version is great, uses IR pointer to send players on runs and pass the ball around almost like a PC RTS or arcade light-gun game), the Power Pros series is quite good but you already have a good PS3 baseball game and with the Wii being region locked you'd have to hack your Wii to be able to play this anyway, what I'm really looking forward to is the release of Wii Motion Plus in June (which will allow for much closer to 1:1 motion control so games can do the things we all wanted when people first saw the Wii) alongside two tennis games and the new Tiger Woods that will be the first to use it.

You can get Guitar Hero and Rock Band on PS3, iirc it's pretty much the same game on all platforms now that you can read stuff of SD cards connected to the console.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
King of New York
High School Varsity

MarioKart is awesome, especially online. I play at least 10-12 hours a week.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
path12
Coordinator

We mostly use ours for RB2 with friends. Mario Kart is really fun as well. I want to pick up Boom Blox since I've heard nothing but good things about it.

We originally wanted WiiFit but I think that's not on our radar anymore. Walking/jogging seems to do the trick....
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Landshark44
High School Varsity

MarioParty is totally awesome for family play. Plays like a board game, but stacked with mini-games during your march around the "gameboard" that are simple to play, but fun....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

I forgot about the PS3. I don't have one, but I have heard that Rock Band and Guitar Hero are both better on PS3 than Wii (I know one reason is that there is a ton more downloadable content available).

I would avoid Wii Fit. It is a neat gadget, but not really a fun game. I used mine for a couple of weeks and haven't touched it (or even thought about using it) since.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno, if you get Wii Fit, you can use the board for the Rayman Raving Rabbids game that lets you use your butt to control.

I'll 5th or 6th the recommendation for Boom Blox. It's easily my favorite game on the console.

I do not care for Mario Kart playing against the computer, and only enjoy it slightly more playing with friends. Nintendo's "anybody can win" attitude means that you can go from 1st to 8th easily when you're in the final lap and get blue shelled 5 times in a row (without time to even start moving again).

I enjoyed Mario Galaxy, though I'm a sucker for that kind of thing and I don't think I'll ever get all the stars, there are just some absurdly stupid challenges to get some of them.

I hate games that give you Wii-mote control just because they feel they should. Actually, I hate it when the DS forces stylus control, too. The Zelda game on the Wii and the one on the DS both got sold back to Gamestop for me--virtually unheard of for me with a Zelda game, but they are just so freaking stupid with the control schemes.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
My 2 years old Ps3 broke 1.5 months ago (bluray lens).

I thought this meant your 2 year old had his own PS3. I was all

Last edited by Autumn : 04-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

I do not care for Mario Kart playing against the computer, and only enjoy it slightly more playing with friends. Nintendo's "anybody can win" attitude means that you can go from 1st to 8th easily when you're in the final lap and get blue shelled 5 times in a row (without time to even start moving again).

This made me laugh out loud. I agree and have had the same experience -- it sounds like you are still bitter over it.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This made me laugh out loud. I agree and have had the same experience -- it sounds like you are still bitter over it.

Just a smidge.

/tk
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Oh yeah, it's not a party game or a sports game but Super Mario Galaxy is the best Wii game and also the best game of all time, so give that one a shot.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #15
Icy
Pro Starter

Thanks for the recomendations guys/gals, i have scheduled the console exchange on Sunday and it comes with wii sports and wiiplay, will be a fun Sunday hopefully finally hooking my wife to consoles gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I thought this meant your 2 year old had his own PS3. I was all

LOL no, but i think he is not far from wanting one. I have caught him a few times with the controller in his hands, he grips its perfectly and uses his thumbs with the sticks. Of course his first discover was the PS button in the controller and he enjoys a lot powering on the console.

My main question is, how am i going to limit his game time once he grows enough to want it, when i'm also a videogames junkie? I guess i'll have to limit my time too to not to give him a bad example. Thankfully text sims are easy to hide as like if you were working

I remember my father telling me that computer games were for kids (He never understood it)... and that at 20 i was too inmature for still playing them... and that was 13 years ago.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My main question is, how am i going to limit his game time once he grows enough to want it, when i'm also a videogames junkie? I guess i'll have to limit my time too to not to give him a bad example. Thankfully text sims are easy to hide as like if you were working

Good luck with that.

Honestly, my folks limited our time with games without feeling too heavy-handed, back in the day. Our homework had to be done before we could play, and we had (for the most part) to go to bed on time. By the time homework, dinner (sitting down at the table as a family), and showers were done, we didn't have a lot of time. Plus, there were 3 of us (2 that really played) and we knew that if we fought, it'd be taken away. At times, our folks would play with us, too, to make it a family thing. They'd play the 2nd player on Super Mario Brothers, or we'd play Dr. Mario head-to-head (my mom is apparently where I got my competetiveness, she'd keep me up late playing head-to-head sometimes, so late that the reason I'd lose is because I couldn't keep my eyes open). If we were playing things like Zelda or Final Fantasy, they'd take it as an experience to help us go over the maps (or at least, go over them with us), and when we got an SNES, everybody loved Mario Kart.

The one thing my folks did which I think was probably helpful was stick to the rules they made before they bought the NES for us. They didn't want us playing violent games, they wanted us in bed by the right time, our homework had to be done, etc. They didn't bend those rules. It annoys me to no end these days to go into GameStop and see a kid whine so much that their parents give in and buy them the game they don't want their kid playing. My folks would have just marched us out.

/tk
Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
Autumn
Head Coach

+1 on what tk said. I think you're right that if you want to limit his game time you'll have to limit yours. The kids basically want to do what they see you doing so you have to set the example. But certainly you guys will, eventually, be able to have fun together on it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

Me too on joining the WII club soon. I am wondering where is the best place to get one at a reasonable place . I see it the console on Amazon new for $230 is that about the best deal for new? Also should we wait until the new wii sports gets bundled at the end of July or whenever it is due out?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
Icy
Pro Starter

Got it and played a bit yesterday. I have only wii sports and Tiger Woods 09. So far i have enjoyed wii sports a lot, specially boxing.

After a few fights i was breathing hard. Of course it helps that i roleplay a lot and try to move like really boxing as i think that is the way to enjoy this console, to play while sitting, i prefer my PS3 superior graphics.

Also tried a few holes in TW09 but it was on default that looked pretty easy. Need to set it up on a hardest level but it seems like it could be really fun.

I might purchase an used wii fit i have seen for sale, mainly because the balance board that can be used in more games, but also to see if my wife enjoys also the workout as she wants to get back in shape now that our kid requires less attention.

About power pros 2008, do you have to bat like you do in wii sports baseball?

Overall it's what i expected, a fun system to play with the controlers roleplaying instead of just sitting in the couch. Can't wait for a proper boxing sim with a better punches tracking system than wii sports. Also for a tennis one.

About non sports games... by now i have little interest on the Mario like arcades or all the gamecube ports, at least to play solo.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Got it and played a bit yesterday. I have only wii sports and Tiger Woods 09. So far i have enjoyed wii sports a lot, specially boxing.

After a few fights i was breathing hard. Of course it helps that i roleplay a lot and try to move like really boxing as i think that is the way to enjoy this console, to play while sitting, i prefer my PS3 superior graphics.

Also tried a few holes in TW09 but it was on default that looked pretty easy. Need to set it up on a hardest level but it seems like it could be really fun.

I might purchase an used wii fit i have seen for sale, mainly because the balance board that can be used in more games, but also to see if my wife enjoys also the workout as she wants to get back in shape now that our kid requires less attention.

About power pros 2008, do you have to bat like you do in wii sports baseball?

Overall it's what i expected, a fun system to play with the controlers roleplaying instead of just sitting in the couch. Can't wait for a proper boxing sim with a better punches tracking system than wii sports. Also for a tennis one.

About non sports games... by now i have little interest on the Mario like arcades or all the gamecube ports, at least to play solo.

I read review of the MLB Pros game and it got great scores but it did not use the motion detection Wii controller stuff. So basically you push the buttons to swing.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I read review of the MLB Pros game and it got great scores but it did not use the motion detection Wii controller stuff. So basically you push the buttons to swing.

Well, they have a mode where you can do the Wii motion stuff, but it's individual games, not season etc. For the career stuff, it's all button pushing but very cool. At least until my MLB Life guy got good enough that they were scouting me and I stopped being told where the pitches were going. That's when I got frustrated and stopped playing.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget, Punch Out is coming out soon!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

You should still consider Boom Blox. It's not a platformer like Mario or anything. It's a "jenga"-ish game. There are games where you pull out pieces and try not to make others fall, but the most fun games are where you throw things at towers and try to get the most points, avoiding negative point blocks (trying not to make them fall) and getting big blocks (the more points they're worth, the harder they are to move).

/tk