Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
TroyF
Coordinator

Some last thoughts before the draft

1) As a Bronco fan, there are two names that'll sound like fingernails on a blackboard if they are called: Chris Simms and Chris Kelsey. If we draft a Texas player, I pray it is Kory Redding. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the draft.

2) While the first round always gets talked about the most, I think the second round is the best part of the draft for me. There is where you'll find many of the steals. Take a look at these names who went in round 2 last year: Kalimba Edwards, Josh Reed, Andrew Gurode, Tonio Foniti, LeCharles Bentley, Tim Carter, Clinton Portis, Michael Lewis, Antwon Randal-El, Antonio Bryant and Anthony Branch.

The year before that: Shaun Rogers, Andre Dyson, Travis Henry, Chris Chambers, Matt Light, Aaron Schobel, Fred Smoot, Tommy Polly, Kendrell Bell, Anthony Thomas, Chad Johnson, Alge Crumpler, and Drew Brees.

3) I think the best player in this draft is Byron Leftwich. I think there are many teams who will deeply regret passing on him in this draft.

4) I hope some team takes drafts the Wheathersby kid on day one and gives him an extra kick in his signing bonus. By all indications he was a good kid in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I hope he does well, wherever he ends up.

5) I have this sneaking suspician the Jets are giving everyone a BIG smokescreen. I just don't buy that they aren't interested in Johnson or Newman. Newman is just too perfect of a fit for that team IMO.

TroyF

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

When Carson Palmer is announced at the first pick and they switch to the shot of him in the green room, keep an eye out for his kid brother Jordan Palmer. Jordan Palmer is a freshman QB for UTEP and it sounds like he is a great kid. He's very competitive, yet humble, with no delusions of grandeur. There was a nice article about him in today's El Paso times, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the next four years play out for the kid.

Of course, I'm probably the only person here who cares about him, but too bad...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: Some last thoughts before the draft

Quote:
Newman is just too perfect of a fit for that team IMO.

TroyF

Troy, you simply do not understand the Jets (and Buccaneers) "cover 2" scheme if you believe this. While any awesome corner should fit well in any system, selecting Newman would just show gross incompetence on the part of the Jets. Having seen the mangling of this offseason, I'm not ruling incompetence out. If they select Terrance Newman they would either:

1. Waste his talents and waste their own money.

2. Indicate they are dropping their current defensive scheme (highly unlikely being that the head coach brought it here).

Having Newman play in the cover 2 would be akin to sticking Carlos Santana in a band to play rhythm guitar.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-26-2003 at 10:13 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
oykib
College Starter

I just don't like the fact that the Jets are giving so many teams the chance to call up Houston and Detroit to jump ahead of them.

As a long-suffering Jets fan, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'll echo a few of the above sentiments.

2) I love the 2nd round as well. It's the most fun round. There is still huge quality on the board, and the time limit drops from 15 minutes to 5 for a pick.

3) Is Byron the best guy in the draft? Probably not. Is he the best QB and will be a very good pro? I think so too. I'd love to have him around.

4) Wethersby is now a HUGE value pick to me now. The team that takes him in the 3rd round will get a very nice return.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm really wondering who the Rams are after besides Newman or Trufont.

Should be a great draft!

Makes me want to fire up FOF4 for awhile today just to get to another draft!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
vtbub
College Starter

I agree on Leftwich

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

CT,

I understand the cover 2 perfectly. I also understand the Jets had some defficiancies last year with that scheme and need better athletes at the corner position to get a little more exotic in their schemes. They also desperately need a return man to replace Morton.

I think Herman will mix up schemes a lot more this year than he did last year. Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

DamnMikeBrown,

I honestly think Leftwich is the best player in this entire draft. I watched a lot of his games this year. I didn't see a throw the kid couldn't make. What's more, if you look up the words leadership, intangibles and guts in the dictionary, you'll find the big guy from Marshall smiling right at you.

I hope Marvin Lewis and the Bengals win with Palmer. I'm cheering for them hard. I still think they made a grave mistake, however. We'll see what happens in the next 5 or 6 years. Isn't that what makes this thing fun?

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #9
oykib
College Starter

I agree with TroyF about Leftwich. That guy has guts, is tougher than leather, and is smart. When you combine that with his size and the fact that he throws such a great ball...
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Leftwich than Palmer. I really wish the Bengals would have traded down somehow, and gotten him. I think he's a great thrower, with presence, leadership..you name it. I wish he would be a Bengal, but better for him in the long run I guess not to be.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:23 AM   #11
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

For those that missed it, Jim has set up a draft chat:
Quote:
The chat room is set up now on IRC.

Host is irc.debian.org
Room is #FOF

For FAQs, instructions and/or to download an IRC application, visit www.mirc.com.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #12
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

"If we draft a Texas player, I pray it is Kory Redding. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the draft.
"

one, its cory, and two, he's been overrated since day 1. can't rush the passer, which is a pretty big deal fora DE
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
korme
Go Reds

"4) I hope some team takes drafts the Wheathersby kid on day one and gives him an extra kick in his signing bonus. By all indications he was a good kid in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I hope he does well, wherever he ends up. "

Well, he was the first pick on day two to the Bengals.. good luck to him.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote