Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Post Breaking News! NFL Trade

The Bears give up the #4 pick to the Jets for the #13 and #22. The Bears will also get a conditional pick for next year. Well the first trade of the draft. I am not a betting man, but I will bet their will be a few more coming.

Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

I'm kind of surprised the Jets made the trade w/out knowing who will be available, but they may have been worried someone else would beat them to the punch. If they get Andre Johnson, I'll give them credit. If they traded both of their picks to grab a DT at #4 (Robertson?), I'll laugh my ass off. I think this shows the Bears are not looking for one of the top QBs.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
moriarty
College Starter

They might still be able to get Boeller at #13.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
scooper
College Benchwarmer

If they traded up for Robertson, I don't like the move as there are a lot of good DT's in the draft.

They need WR, but the two big ones will probably be gone by 4.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

They jump just ahead of Dallas. Dallas wants the DB-Newman. Are the Jets making a move to get him? I think this trade works for the Bears. Not a strong draft, lots of ifs...so why not get two picks for the price of one.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
They might still be able to get Boeller at #13.

You're right, they could. However, I think at least 3 QBs will be taken in the top 12, with one of those possibly being a team trading up to get Boller (or even Grossman depending on who you believe). Of course, the Bears could still try to move back up.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
moriarty
College Starter

Geez, I hope the Jets aren't thinking DT.

I think that they figure they can use either a top notch WR or DB, and they're guaranteed one in this spot. That's probably why they went ahead and made the deal now. I look for the DB here knowing that Edwards is a defensive coach.

I also think this is a good deal for the Bears. 4=> 13 is not a huge drop considering the lack of bonafide talent, and the addition of a #22 and a conditional pick.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I like the trade for the Bears a lot too. Who knows, they may be able to move back into the top 10 if Leftwich slips.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:44 PM   #9
moriarty
College Starter

BTW - I think the Jets secondary is already reasonably strong, so if they take a DB at #4, they may not be done dealing.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:55 PM   #10
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

This is a bad move for the Bears. The drop in talent from #4 to #13 is much more than it has been in recent drafts.

The guy who is taken at #13 this year would be a 2nd rounder in any other year.
Mel Kiper's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Excellent analysis - for hair.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

Not just any hair......

Last edited by Mel Kiper's Hair : 04-25-2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

this is a horrible trade for the Jets.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #14
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

What does your hair say?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

I think it's a good trade for the Jets. Why spend first round money on TWO second round calibur players? You move up to the top four and get either Newman or Johnson without fail. Both should be able to come in and make a quick impact on the field. Newman, in particular, would be able to help with the return void left by Morton.

The Bears weren't thrilled with everything they saw at the top of the board and moved down to get more players. I'm not sure they are done dealing. Maybe they take a chance on MacGahee with that #22 pick. Just a thought.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:19 PM   #16
HornsManiac

I read that the Bears are really, really high on Simms. They can get him now plus other players as well. Something tells me Simms will be a Bear tomorrow and if that is the case it is a good trade for them.

HornsManiac
Old 04-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #17
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by HornsManiac
I read that the Bears are really, really high on Simms. They can get him now plus other players as well. Something tells me Simms will be a Bear tomorrow and if that is the case it is a good trade for them.

HornsManiac

His 40 time carrying water bottles was great, I wish the Vikings would get him. The waterboy position is really lacking.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:25 PM   #18
HornsManiac

Chicago Sun - Times story on Simms

I have read other too lately, but this is the only one I could find right this second.

HornsManiac
Old 04-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #19
scooper
College Benchwarmer

If the Bears want SImms that bad, they can get him with the fourth pick in the second round.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #20
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

Simms will be a career backup.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:28 PM   #21
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
If the Bears want SImms that bad, they can get him with the fourth pick in the second round.

That is true. So in that case this was a good trade for them, because they get their QB plus extra 1st round picks.

HornsManiac
Old 04-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #22
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

Why get the top CB or DT in the draft when you can have 2 average players instead?

I bet that's what the Bears GM was thinking.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:36 PM   #23
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Newman, in particular, would be able to help with the return void left by Morton.

Did Newman return kicks and stuff in school? That would make more sense if he can come in as a Morton replacement as well as a Donnie Abraham sidekick.

I also wouldn't discount the fact that the Patriots were widely rumored to make this same move to get a run stuffing defensive lineman. The Jets could have made this jump partially to block the Patriots.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:42 PM   #24
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Yes. Newman is supposedly a beast at returning kicks.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:49 PM   #25
Blade6119
Coordinator

and showed he can be a wideout too in the holiday bowl...but then again the ASU CB spot was the wort position they had las year, so all he had to do is run by them....should be better this year...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Yeah, Newman is terrific at punt returning and has all the tools to be a great kick off return guy as well. He runs a 4.39 and has some elusiveness as well.

If I'm a betting man, I believe they traded up to get Newman for all of the things just mentioned.

TroyF
Old 04-25-2003, 01:59 PM   #27
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
The Jets could have made this jump partially to block the Patriots.

The Jet's would never do that!!! That's deplorable, unfathomable, intolerable!!
Old 04-25-2003, 02:02 PM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I think it's a good trade for the Jets. Why spend first round money on TWO second round calibur players? You move up to the top four and get either Newman or Johnson without fail. Both should be able to come in and make a quick impact on the field. Newman, in particular, would be able to help with the return void left by Morton.

The Bears weren't thrilled with everything they saw at the top of the board and moved down to get more players. I'm not sure they are done dealing. Maybe they take a chance on MacGahee with that #22 pick. Just a thought.

TroyF

Newman doesn't really fit the cover 2 defense. Actually, he's more talented then they need CB's to be, so it'd be a waste. I'd rather they drafted 2 DT's then gamble on 1.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #29
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mel Kiper's Hair
What does your hair say?

Trade me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:16 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

This was an excellent trade.....FOR ME TO POOP ON!!

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:37 PM   #31
TroyF
Coordinator

CT,

I think Newman could move into a cover 2 just fine. When you have that speed and natural ability, I think you can adjust. This will also allow the Jets to switch off on occasion and come with a safety blitz.

Of course, that's just my guess. Maybe the Jets know something we don't. Maybe they realize Pennington is average and are going to take Leftwhich. J/K. Seriously, who knows what they were thinking. My guess is Newman. He fits on a lot of levels. He's the third player on my board (Leftwich, Rogers, Newman, Palmer, Suggs if anyone asks) and I think he'd be of great value for the Jets.

TroyF
Old 04-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #32
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Seems the Cardinals or Jaguars got the best end of this trade.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #33
vtbub
College Starter

My guess would be Suggs.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM   #34
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
CT,

I think Newman could move into a cover 2 just fine. When you have that speed and natural ability, I think you can adjust. This will also allow the Jets to switch off on occasion and come with a safety blitz.

Of course, that's just my guess. Maybe the Jets know something we don't. Maybe they realize Pennington is average and are going to take Leftwhich. J/K. Seriously, who knows what they were thinking. My guess is Newman. He fits on a lot of levels. He's the third player on my board (Leftwich, Rogers, Newman, Palmer, Suggs if anyone asks) and I think he'd be of great value for the Jets.

TroyF

Troy,

You're right. You and I both believe Newman is more than capable of playing in any defense. My problem is if the Jets select him, they're really not going to be using him to the best of his abilities. They play a zone basically non-stop, and he's a lock-on man-to-man type.

I don't think they traded up for him anyway, I think DeWayne Roberston is the guy they are after. I hope this isn't just to keep him away from the patriots. If you're this set on fixing DT, I would have rather drafted 2 defensive tackles than trade both picks for 1. As a Jet fan, I have hated this entire offseason. Terry Bradway is making a lot of suspect moves.

cthomer
Old 04-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #35
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

The Jets are looking for Andre Johnson or Robertson.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #36
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
As a Jet fan, I have hated this entire offseason.

As if that's something new? Jets fans hate every offseason!

Last edited by dacman : 04-25-2003 at 03:01 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:09 PM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mel Kiper's Hair
The Jets are looking for Andre Johnson or Robertson.

If that's the case, this trade becomes 1000 times worse.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #38
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

What if the Jets ended up getting McGahee with this Pick? Can you say Classic Draft Moment!!
Old 04-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #39
Mel Kiper's Hair
Banned

Or the Jets could just be thinking that this will give their fans only 1 pick to hate instead of 2.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:37 PM   #40
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
What if the Jets ended up getting McGahee with this Pick? Can you say Classic Draft Moment!!

You'll hear me scream from wherever you are.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:55 PM   #41
mckerney
Coordinator

As a Viking fan I LOVE this trade, though in doing so I'm assuming that the Jets aren't trading up for Dewayne Robertson. Bears were supposedly going after Robertson, and if he's not taken there he could drop to #7.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:28 PM   #42
Jets80
High School Varsity

I will have to say that when I first heard about this trade I was pretty pissed. But then I just heard an interview with the Jets GM on the Mike and the Mad Dog show and now i think this is a good trade. He basicly said that the talent in this draft is pretty thin and there is a huge differnce between the player they will get at 4 vs the two late 1st rounders they could pick. The Jets GM would not say who they were picking but Mike and the Mad Dog were pretty convinced Jets would pick DeWayne Robertson from Kentucky.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #43
primelord
Pro Rookie

I think Newman would be a very poor pick in a Cover 2 scheme. He isn't a great tackler and is not very good against the run. I watched him miss multiple tackles on Justin Gage and then watch Zack Abron run over him on consecutive plays. I would imagine you saw Chris Brown do the same thing to him Troy.

And as cthomer said using him in zone all the time would be under utilizing what he is great at. If you want a guy who is going to stick like glue to his man Newman is your guy. If you want a guy to just cover an area and help with the run Newman can cover that area for you, but your really wasting his talents at that point.

Plus I don't think he will make a very good kick returner. He is an awesome punt returner, but there is a reason not many great punt returners make good kick returners. Kickoffs are just totally different.You need a guy who is going to pick a seam and just barrell head first that direction. Newman does have very elusive moves, but dancing around like that on kickoff returns generally leads to small returns.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:33 PM   #44
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Rumors are now flying on espn that the Pats are offering both first round picks and a second round pick to the Lions for the Number 2 pick, and that Detroit is spilt on Newman or Rogers.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:49 PM   #45
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
As a Viking fan I LOVE this trade, though in doing so I'm assuming that the Jets aren't trading up for Dewayne Robertson. Bears were supposedly going after Robertson, and if he's not taken there he could drop to #7.

As a Seahawks fan I wish this were true, since it would mean Kennedy would drop to Seattle, but it won't happen - Robertson will be long gone by the #7 pick. He's just too good to fall that far. New England is making noises about trading up to secure him, since the Jets could be after him at #4.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:07 PM   #46
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
Rumors are now flying on espn that the Pats are offering both first round picks and a second round pick to the Lions for the Number 2 pick, and that Detroit is spilt on Newman or Rogers.

I put this in another thread yesterday, but I'll throw it out there again; I have a friend close to somebody in the Rogers camp, and he is being told the Lions have essentially guaranteed Rogers that they are going to take him with the second pick, and all the trade rumors are just that: rumors with no fact behind them. I guess they could change their mind if the offer was good enough, but, it doesn't seem likely now.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:09 PM   #47
oykib
College Starter

I don't like this move. This is the kind of move that you shouldn't pull until draft day.

Of course, maybe on draft day Bradway traades it back down for more stuff.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:09 PM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I like it. Jets will pick up Robertson or Johnson at this pick. It's a great move, especially if they get Robertson!
Old 04-25-2003, 06:32 PM   #49
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the Bears are the big winners in this deal.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:47 PM   #50
Arles
Grey Dog Software

IMO, the top 5 (Palmer, Rogers, Johnson, Robertson, Newman) are heads and shoulders above everyone else from an ability standpoint. The only other players that are even close are Leftwich, Kennedy and Suggs. And all those players will be gone by 13.

So, the Bears go from getting their pick of five of the elite 8 players in the draft, to none. And, in exchange for this, they get the 22nd pick, where the top guys figure to be QB Simms, DE McDougle and CB Eugene Wilson. All nice players, but I don't know that I would trade Dwayne Robertson or Terrance Newman for William Joseph and Chris Simms, which is essentially what Chicago did.

To me, this smells like cowardice from an owner that has been bit in the past by high-pick busts like Curtis Enis and Cade McNown. But, in order to get better, you have to get top 5 talents, not top 20. Plus, Chicago had history on its side. The last two times the Bears had the number 4 overall pick they chose Dan Hampton (1979) and Walter Payton (1975).

Arlie

Last edited by Arles : 04-25-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote