Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Carl
n00b

College Assistance

Hello, Im using my first post here to ask a question about studing in college. My instructor in Psychology has tolded us to outline the chapters in our textbooks. However, everytime I attempt to do this I end up copying the entire chapter word for word. So I come to the folks here at fofc to get ideas on how to improve my techniques.

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Hello, Im using my first post here to ask a question about studing in college.

Studding in college, eh? Sounds like a pretty sweet gig, if you can keep it up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hello, Im using my first post here to ask a question about studing in college. My instructor in Psychology has tolded us to outline the chapters in our textbooks. However, everytime I attempt to do this I end up copying the entire chapter word for word. So I come to the folks here at fofc to get ideas on how to improve my techniques.

I'm sorry about my first response. It had to be done.

Since it was your first post and I am a nice guy, I will try to answer your question. Outlining is a pretty good way to study, but if you're writing down every word, you're doing it wrong.

I was a psychology major in undergrad and I couldn't think of any chapter in those books that couldn't be outlined in about 3 pages or less. Just stick to the main themes and jot down small reminders or a short one sentence summary that will trigger the larger, more complex subject.

For example, if you were outlining a chapter on behvarioalism and came across Pavlov. Want more would you need then: "Pavlov - Dogs salivating/bell ringing."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I try to read everything twice and do active reading where I ask myself after every chapter what is important and how it could possibly show up on a test.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

When I was in school, I tried to pick out one main thought/point from each paragraph and a summary of that went into my outlines. As a result, my outlines ended up being bigger than most of my classmates, but I avoided writing everything down and it worked very well for me.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-21-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm intrigued by how you managed to pick FOFC as THE message board best suited to field this inquiry.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'm intrigued by how you managed to pick FOFC as THE message board best suited to field this inquiry.

Especially if he really did mean “studing in college.” You’re in the wrong room, budy.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Carl
n00b

Actually ive lurked these board for a few years. I figured there would be someone here who could offer me some insight.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
“studing in college.”

you might be surprised
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Actually ive lurked these board for a few years. I figured there would be someone here who could offer me some insight.

Now I feel bad, so I’ll try an honest answer.

I always spent a lot more time on reviewing my notes from the lectures than worrying about getting everything out of each chapter in the text. In my experience most professors consider themselves smarter or more knowledgeable about the subject than the textbook authors; they only assign a text because they are forced to. So I never did outline chapters, just highlighted as I read. Then I would compare the lecture notes to what I had highlighted and make note of anything that showed up in both.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Now I feel bad, so I’ll try an honest answer.

I always spent a lot more time on reviewing my notes from the lectures than worrying about getting everything out of each chapter in the text. In my experience most professors consider themselves smarter or more knowledgeable about the subject than the textbook authors; they only assign a text because they are forced to. So I never did outline chapters, just highlighted as I read. Then I would compare the lecture notes to what I had highlighted and make note of anything that showed up in both.

This is pretty good advice, but I'd suggest talking to anyone that may have had this (these?) professor(s) before to get a feel for the breakdown between lecture questions and textbook questions on a test. While some professors believe they are smarter than the text and lecture on everything they will test on, others are lazy enough to use tests created by the textbook people and lecture on what interests them. You'll get a feel for this after the first exam, but talking to others can give you a leg up on the first exam.

For outlining, pay attention to the difference between a fact/point and supporting evidence. Most textbooks will present one main point every few paragraphs and surround that with stories and supporting evidence. If you can identify what the supporting evidence is trying to support, that will give you the point you need to include in the outline.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
This is pretty good advice, but I'd suggest talking to anyone that may have had this (these?) professor(s) before to get a feel for the breakdown between lecture questions and textbook questions on a test. While some professors believe they are smarter than the text and lecture on everything they will test on, others are lazy enough to use tests created by the textbook people and lecture on what interests them. You'll get a feel for this after the first exam, but talking to others can give you a leg up on the first exam.

For outlining, pay attention to the difference between a fact/point and supporting evidence. Most textbooks will present one main point every few paragraphs and surround that with stories and supporting evidence. If you can identify what the supporting evidence is trying to support, that will give you the point you need to include in the outline.

I feel this is especially true for intro and early level courses, at least based on my experience at Boston U. A lot the intro course professors would give exams based on the book, while lecturing on more modern news/items pertaining to the text. And then there were a couple professors who just wanted to be doing their own research/work and just read verbatim from powerpoints taken directly from the book. I usually skipped those large lectures and just went to the discussions with the teaching aids (grad students usually).
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I am disappointed to discover that this thread is, in fact, NOT a plea for money to pay for hot college girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote