Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Anyone play tabletop warhammer or warhammer 40k?

Me and my buddies were thinking of getting into it. Can you guys recommend one over the other? We aren't sure which is more fun or should I see easier to get into as a noob.

astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Stay away from the metal crack!

Seriously, I would look at one of GW's legacy games rather than WH or 40k.

But, if you are bound and determined, the main question comes down to what you prefer, sci-fi or fantasy.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I played both waaaay back in the day. (Though I did just by the Warhammer 40K RPG at GenCon.)

The game systems are pretty similar. I think 40K is more popular overall, but I could be wrong about that.

I really think it comes down to personal preferences. Would you and your buddies rather:

(1) Fight battles with knights, elves, orks, dwarves, etc. armed with swords, shields, bows, axes, catapults, and magic; or

(2) Duke it out in a sci-fi setting with space marines, space orks, chaos, all with powered armor, heavy bolters, lasguns, gernades, missles, tanks, hovercrafts, and psykers.

The real difference is in the setting and technology.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-19-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I played 40k for a few years, it was a lot of fun but I ran out of time to paint, and my friend that I played with moved out of town. I can't say which is better, but 40k is certainly fun. I'd agree that it probably comes down to which setting you prefer.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I play 40K. (Space Marines, Necrons and I'm currently doing a Cadian Apocalypse army...)

Depends on what you like. Warhammer is a little more strategically done and there is less killing going on where 40K offers alot of shooting for the first few rounds and then plenty of close combat.

If you have a Games Workshop close by, you can stop in and they will be glad to play out a game of each with you. 40K has just redone the rules and simplified things to make it a cleaner/faster game too...

As for painting, do NOT get wrapped up in trying to make your figures look like White Dwarf or what you see on the box... not gonna happen overnight. If you are ok at painting, just trying one of the easier to paint armies like Necrons or paint a basic space marine army.

And for buying stuff... look on Ebay, you can get some very good deals where people are just clearing out their stuff. I just bought a set of 45 space marines already assembled (and painted crappily) for around $40 where new it would have been about $120ish...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 08-19-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I enjoyed playing them both when I was younger - Warhammer was more emphasis on tactics imho, whereas 40k is more about the big shooters ..however this may have changed in the 10 years since I played.

Personally I'd recommend getting a copy of Bloodbowl
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Listen to Marc Vaughan you will, save you he can!

I agree with Marc, Blood Bowl is the best game GW made.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I played WH, 40K, Bloodbowl and Necromunda....the 2 latter have by far been my favorites.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Blood Bowl!

(oh, and I'll be testing out Warhammer Online Age Of Reckoning this weekend)
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

I thought about getting into it years back, but man is that just a huge money sink.

Think I had more interest in painting the figures than playing anyway.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Well I have noticed that the new 40K module on Vassal is getting a lot of play. They have their own website too. Vassal 40K Module
Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I enjoyed playing them both when I was younger - Warhammer was more emphasis on tactics imho, whereas 40k is more about the big shooters ..however this may have changed in the 10 years since I played.

Personally I'd recommend getting a copy of Bloodbowl

Yeah, I love bloodbowl. The local stores around here don't have any games going on though. Almost all games are Warhammer and Warhammer 40k.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I preferred WarHammer to 40 K. Mostly due to the variety in play offered. As described above 40K games pretty much follow the same model game after game, whereas WHFB games are much more dependent upon your actions or your opponent's actions.

If you decide to go the 40 K route, and you aren't into painting, then you might look into AT-43. I haven't played, but one of my friends is pushing me that way.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote