Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

(Sports Talk Radio) "Mike and the Mad Dog" No More

I know we have a lot of transplanted NY/NJ people, many who probably have listened to "Mike and the Mad Dog" as they basically launched sports talk radio. There have been rumors of Francesca and Russo's relationship deteriorating over the past couple years, with a split inevitable, and it's finally happened. Russo's leaving, probably for Sirius, and leaving Francesca to run the show.

I never agreed with them, didn't find them knowledgeable, but they were still entertaining. It will be weird without them on -- really a NY institution.

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo has left WFAN -- Newsday.com

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I always enjoyed listening to them growing up.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD AFTERNOON EVERBODY!!!!!!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU TODAY?????????????????????????????
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Celeval
Pro Starter

Seriously... M&tMD always was on my radio whenever I came home to visit my family in CT. Sorry to see them go.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Right there with you, Lathum. I can remember some depressing times in my early 20's and just hearing Mad Dog say those words would bring a smile to my face.

I've listened to Francesa the past few days while Russo was supposedly on "vacation" and it's just not as good.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've always found Russo to have an annoying voice.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

End of an era, but I had really cut back on how much I listened to them in the last few years.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
End of an era, but I had really cut back on how much I listened to them in the last few years.

Agreed.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Right there with you, Lathum. I can remember some depressing times in my early 20's and just hearing Mad Dog say those words would bring a smile to my face.

I've listened to Francesa the past few days while Russo was supposedly on "vacation" and it's just not as good.

He really was on vacation.

It seems the timing came from Russo not wanting to sign on for 5 more years. Since he wouldn't sign they told him no time like the present.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

I did as well. Mostly it was during the segments when they would go to the phones. A necessary evil for them, but man were the callers useless.

It also seemed like the 'controversies' were dragged out and even less important then in the past. The Joba fistpumping for example... just days and days of calls on something so ridiculous.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I did as well. Mostly it was during the segments when they would go to the phones. A necessary evil for them, but man were the callers useless.

It also seemed like the 'controversies' were dragged out and even less important then in the past. The Joba fistpumping for example... just days and days of calls on something so ridiculous.

I was about to post much of the same thing. I grew up listening to them, but it just wasn't the same in recent times. I guess in the internet age where you can get instant gratification on your sports news fix, sports talk became less interesting to me.

I agree wholeheartedly with going to the phones. I wish they didn't have to go to the callers at all. Evidently, they agreed with my assessment--in the past few years they've taken to outright berating the idiot callers. You know, the blind Met or the Yankee fan who calls in asking what Mike & The Mad Dog thinks about trading home town scrub for out of town super star. I'll tell you what Mike & The Mad Dog thinks: they think you're an idiot.

It was starting to get painful to listen to.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I never even heard one second of this show...and I listen to a lot of sports talk radio (sadly). Alls I know is that Mad Dog guy was a big SF Giants fan, and sometimes yelled for a while. Sounds like my kind of dude.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The Mad Dog guy is getting his own CHANNEL on SiriusXM starting in September. Not his own show, they are giving the guy a whole f'n channel. Kind of blows me away he gets his own channel, and I wonder what else will be on there other then him.

I don't think I have ever heard the Mike and Mad Dog Show, so I look forward to hearing this guy I guess.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

I guarantee you'll be disappointed. But it's not like he will be on the channel 24/7. They're giving him his own channel in name only.

Last edited by Logan : 08-19-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I guarantee you'll be disappointed. But it's not like he will be on the channel 24/7. They're giving him his own channel in name only.

lol. Yes I understand it his channel in name only, but in most cases like this it also means he will have say on what else is on the channel. That is what I am curious about. That is part of what makes it 'his' channel.

I also find it interesting how he talks about starting his show an hour earlier so it can run right into the begining of most night games. It just also happens that it will make sure his show ends at the time the Ferrall Show starts at night which is on the 2nd most listened to channel on satellite radio (allegedly). I have also heard once that his channel will be on both Sirius and XM, but most things just say Sirius so I don't know if it is lazy reporting leaving out the XM part or not.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

The show should have been called "Mike and the Unintelligible Nitwit." imo

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote