Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ping: iPod Classic owners

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Classic 80 GB because my 8 GB Nano doesn't hold all of my music. Judging from user reviews at Amazon and the like, it looks like early on it had problems, but that maybe they have been addressed well enough by now. Anyone here have feedback on it?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

no issues at all with mine
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I actually considered that as well, but ended up buying the 4gb Nano instead. I was afraid that the original iPod would become obsolete and become unusable in the near future. Oh wait, that would be a PC thing.

Seriously, though. You can't hold all of your songs on an 8gb Nano? Wow, I rarely listen to all of the music on mine, and I only have 2gb actually being used. You must have a ton of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sure my collection is dwarfed by cthomer's and folks like him. I probably have somewhere around 10-12 gigs. Lots of 80s crap. Half of it is Def Leppard stuff I'm sure.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-24-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have had my 80g since Christmas and absolutely no problems. Like Kodos, I have about 12-14g filled, including audiobooks which do not take up much space. Sometime in the future, I can see that going up and I would be glad for the space. Besides, there weren't that much difference in price.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

I have a 20GB IPod which I believe is considered 3rd Gen. I got it as a gift in October 2004. It's still working really well now, although the battery is draining a little quicker these days. It still gets fully charged (earlier ones I believe would only charge up about halfway) so I just need to make sure I charge it every couple days.

I believe the newer ones are a bit thinner and lighter which is good. I actually just ordered an 8GB Nano with some of my Marriott points as I'm tired of having to keep my bulky full-size in my pocket. The smaller capacity won't be an issue for me at all. I plan on giving the 20gb one to my mother so she can use it as it still has a couple years of life left I'd assume. And since she would just use it while sitting outside the house, the need to recharge it more often won't be an issue.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

Still have my 4th gen 20 GB. Going on 4 years old now. I remember when I bought it someone here told me it wouldn't last a year and a half. I use it every day for around 2 hours. I replaced the battery this past Christmas. Cost about $30.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-24-2008 at 10:47 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
Hurst2112
College Starter

I have the 80GB I pod classic. I wasn't aware of any issues with the units and mine has worked flawlessly since I got it almost a year ago. Watching movies on it is better than the previous generation. Screen is improved.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

I have a 30 gig 5th gen. Love it. Never had any problems.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I gave my brother a used 3rd gen before he went to Iraq. I think the LCD ended up getting a bit cracked from an explosion, but he said it still played music at the end of his tour.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

What is the best (but affordable) case for an iPod Nano? I need to get one but have no clue which one is the best.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I have a 30 gig 5th gen. Love it. Never had any problems.

, although my battery seems to be losing it's charge faster lately.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm thinking of getting an iPod Classic 80 GB because my 8 GB Nano doesn't hold all of my music. Judging from user reviews at Amazon and the like, it looks like early on it had problems, but that maybe they have been addressed well enough by now. Anyone here have feedback on it?

I've had one for a little over a year now and have had zero problems...well actually, the one problem is that I'm getting short on space (72GB on there right now). Most useful purchase I've made in quite a while.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Shoulda got the 160!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just got the same one you're looking at for Father's Day. It is awesome. I haven't had any issues at all.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

i got mine i guess 3 years ago, and it is wonderful. it's a 20GB and I never have issues with it.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

See, I've got an iPod player hookup in my car and a Bose iPod player at the crib, so my iPod is always charging. It's sweet.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

My 80Gb works fine.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #19
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I have 120GB of music on my Itunes right now and an 80GB 5th gen Ipod. So I have to weed through it whenever I get something new. I just downloaded 3 new albums off Itunes about 5 minutes ago (although I'm still a CD guy for the most part).
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

I have not had any problems with my iPot classic (80 gig), except the earbuds stopped working after about a month or two.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I have not had any problems with my iPot classic (80 gig), except the earbuds stopped working after about a month or two.

Maybe all the weed shorted them out.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #22
Daimyo
College Starter

I've had a black 60gb iPod video I bought back in October 2005 right after release. Its a bit scratched up, but it works like brand new and I've never had a problem with it. Its probably been the most durable consumer electronics device I've ever owned.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #23
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I've not had any problems with my 80gb IPod classic.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #24
daedalus
Pro Rookie

sounds like a lot of y'all have these ipod doodads. how do y'all connect to yours?

i cannot stand itunes and have been using media monkey. i HATE anything that autostarts crap and tries to load things i do not need to run just because i installed the damn program. anybody else use any other alternative to itunes?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Maybe all the weed shorted them out.

Nah, man, weed's all natural. It don't hurt shit.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #26
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
sounds like a lot of y'all have these ipod doodads. how do y'all connect to yours?

i cannot stand itunes and have been using media monkey. i HATE anything that autostarts crap and tries to load things i do not need to run just because i installed the damn program. anybody else use any other alternative to itunes?

I've been using itunes exclusively since it was made available for PCs. Before that, PC ipods were shipped with Musicmatch.

I don't have other things loaded when I run itunes. Guess I don't understand what issues you are having with it.

Not saying itunes is the greatest. I'm just happy with what I get with itunes. It's never given problems.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post

You can go into the settings and disable your autosync feature, or you can set it up so it only syncs the playlists you choose. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

Quote:
Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #28
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
You can go into the settings and disable your autosync feature, or you can set it up so it only syncs the playlists you choose. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

that makes sense. I'm guessing that's what he was talking about.

If your library is larger than your ipod, make sure you select the option of choosing what songs you want to drag to your ipod. I've never experienced it but I think there would be some issues with autosynching a larger library than what the ipod has room for (60GB going on a 30GB ipod, etc)

Also, beware you don't decide to switch your 'ipod as hard drive mode'. If you do, it will wipe your whole ipod and reload it with your library. Sucks when you buy one, fill it with 65GB of music, realize you wanted it to be a hard drive as well and wait while it loads the 65GB of music again.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

You know, prior to about a month ago, I'd have recommended an iPod hands down. Then, I was having issues matching up my 8 GB Nano to my computer (I can't hook it into my computer without resetting it first--if I do, the Nano freezes). Apple "Geniuses" were no help and Apple Care (1-800-APL-CARE) won't help because it's more than 90 days old (I bought it in late January). Now iTunes is crashing when I hook up my 60 GB 5th gen. I've NEVER had a problem with my 60 GB version before, and I absolutely refuse to re-format it (iTunes wants to maintain control of play counts, even though I NEVER play music on my computer, so the play counts are a joke there).

I've uninstalled and re-installed iTunes. No luck. And if they won't talk to me about my Nano, I shudder to think about how they'd react to a 2 year old regular iPod. Right now, Apple can sit on it and rotate, in my book.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #30
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
kind of. when i had itunes installed, it would want to autostart or check for updates or load this portion of the program or this or that. and i vaguely recall now that i cannot turn off part of the autostart or the update check. i cannot stand programs that insist on starting or loading things without giving me options of turning that off.

for interface, though, it had amazing ease of use.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #31
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

No problems with mine. I have had it for about 8.5 months now, with about 70 GB of MP3s on there, with another 15 GB or so of podcasts at any given time.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #32
Kodos
Resident Alien

I got mine on Saturday. I've been enjoying the fact that I get more deep cuts on my weighted jumbolist of all my music. Nice mix of favorites and deep cuts.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #33
daedalus
Pro Rookie

how do y'all make your playlists? with itunes?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #34
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Bump for an Apple question..
For any of you with the latest iteration of the Shuffle (the clip-on type), how do you know when the battery is dying? I'm contemplating getting one, but I've always wondered that..

/tk
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Right now, Apple can sit on it and rotate, in my book.

/tk

sit on what?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #36
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Bump for an Apple question..
For any of you with the latest iteration of the Shuffle (the clip-on type), how do you know when the battery is dying? I'm contemplating getting one, but I've always wondered that..

/tk

When the singers start to get a really deep, slow voice. At least, that's what happens on my Walkman.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #37
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
When the singers start to get a really deep, slow voice. At least, that's what happens on my Walkman.

Man, I miss those days sometimes. Then I remember that I can clip a tiny little mp3 player to my shirt as I workout and I stop missing those days.

Though, I think it's important to say, the guy at the Apple store who sold me my new shuffle said that "he thought there might be a light on it to tell you when it needed charging, but the best indication would be that it doesn't play when you try to use it."

/tk