Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Vacation Ideas

Coming to the great thinktank that is FOFC.

Looking for something to do for about 4-7 days. We really have nothing planned out.

The constraints are-

Going to be a week in September, so some of the "summer places" may be closed, or weekend only at that point.

Will be me and my wife, our daughter (4) and son (2). So needs to be somewhat kid friendly. And that somewhat limits the distance we want to travel.

We know we've got the fallback option of the beach (brother in law is in Maryland and can stop and see them).

Just looking for some other suggestions.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI, September is the absolute best time to go to Walt Disney World in Orlando, especially with kids that age. School is back in sessions, so crowds are small while the weather is still very nice without being too hot. You won't have to wait more than 10 minutes for even the most popular rides and will be able to just walk on most rides without any wait. There's plenty of rides that even the 2 year old kid can ride. Airfare to Orlando is VERY cheap right now when compared to other vacation destinations as are the hotel accomodations. The water parks are also relatively crowd free. Even if it's only 70 degrees, the water is heated to around 80 degrees in the entire park, so no worries about cold water.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

A cruise in the Carribbean. Great for everyone and especially the kids on Royal Carribbean.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
A cruise in the Carribbean. Great for everyone and especially the kids on Royal Carribbean.

There are cruises going out of Baltimore and New York, so that's definitely within driving distance.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Should have added this as a constrain-- we did throw around the idea of Disney, and are thinking maybe next Sept. The kids will each be a year older. Not that we fear the amount of rides etc for them at this age, but hopefully appreciate the whole experience a little bit better a year from now. My daughter is the kid that hates the idea of people dressed up as characters (we did Sesame Place last year, and she flipped out at the lunch with the characters).

Wife is not a fan of the idea of a cruise.
Beach- great. Boat - not so much. So not sure how that one would go over.

But thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bit early for a fall-foliage thing, and would probably drive the kids crazy

is it a requirement there be a "kid-friendly" piece to it, or is the 4 year old cool just like...chillin?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Right across the state... I don't think you'd want to spend multiple days there, but this is a really nice place to visit:

http://www.hawkmountain.org/

Other things in the general area like Hershey Park that might make for a multiple day affair.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My family goes to nantucket every year and we love it. Not sure what it is like in September and it can be a little pricey there.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Another area you can look into is the Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge area. Not to far a drive from Pitt, the Smokies are really nice that time of year and there are TONS of family attractions there ( Dollywood, the Aquarium, etc...). The area itself is a little hookey but it is a really nice vacation.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Should have added this as a constrain-- we did throw around the idea of Disney, and are thinking maybe next Sept. The kids will each be a year older. Not that we fear the amount of rides etc for them at this age, but hopefully appreciate the whole experience a little bit better a year from now. My daughter is the kid that hates the idea of people dressed up as characters (we did Sesame Place last year, and she flipped out at the lunch with the characters).

Wife is not a fan of the idea of a cruise.
Beach- great. Boat - not so much. So not sure how that one would go over.

But thanks for the input guys.

my wife was nervous about the boat issue but when we got on she went to the Purser's desk, got a pill she would take each morning and she literally didnt or couldnt tell the boat rocked at all. For me there was only one day I felt it rock at all, keeping in mind it was a huge boat. For us, at least, that trip was great, in that, she is now a huge fan of cruises when before hand her trepidation made me believe we'd never be able to go on a cruise.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pulling this one back...for a little more advice for anyone in Eastern PA.

QS wins the first round with his suggestion of Hershey.

We are going to do one day at Hershey, one day at Dutch Wonderland-- both are only open weekends after Sept 1st. Also looking at the Zoo at Hershey and/or the Strasburg Railroad for a day.

Someone I work with recommended the Willow Valley Resort in Lancaster (I was originally looking through priceline, expedia, etc.) to stay.

Welcome to the Willow Valley Resort | Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Anyone here ever stay there? The woman who recommended had great things to say about it. 3 indoor pools, indoor water park will be nice in the event of rain, plus being mid-Sept the chances we'd use an outdoor pool are slim.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Jamaica
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What about going to Erie. They have an indoor water park for the kids. There are the beaches at Presque Isle, plus you are only 2 hrs away from Niagara Falls.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote