Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Talking Total Pro Basketball draft euphoria

A little background:

Been playing this game for about a week, started off with the Bobcats in Pure GM mode. First draft yeilded a great prospect at the 3rd pick, 5 star potential SG 6-7 Keith Brennan. Next off-season I added Ben Wallace after making unsuccessful runs at Amare and Yao. Got 4 star potential SG 6-2 Chris Grimes at with the 4th pick. Did fairly well, but missed the playoffs. Picked up Shaun Livingston as a FA in the off-season. Going in to season 4 I'm thinking I should be a four seed at least. Brennan is starting to excel, putting up about 20/5/4 a game, Grimes was netting about 18 a game.

After about 20 games I was 5 under .500. This would not stand. One thing that especially pissed me off was that Bickerstaff insisted on playing the 6-7 Brennan at PG and the 6-2 Grimes at SG, even though they both had the same general ratings at handling and passing. So Bickerstaff gets the axe and I quickly hire Scott Skiles as a replacement. We're playing alot better, but Skiles too has Grimes as a SG, when I'd just as soon have him coming off the bench (even with his 18.5 PPG) and have Livingston(now a 3.5) and Brennan out there playing their natural positions. So I make the decision to trade Grimes, finally find a taker in the Chicago Bulls. I forget all that was involved, but the major component was Grimes for Luol Deng (3.5/4.5 in a contract year) We finish the year out strong, winning 45 or so and landing the 5 spot in the playoffs.

In the playoffs, Keith Brennan starts to absolutely tear it up. Much to my surprise, I walk through the Eastern Conference with relative ease, behind Brennan's 27/7/5. Meet the Suns in the finals, only to lose in 7 after both Brennan and Ben Wallace miss the final three games with annoyingly minor injuries (sore leg and minor concussion, respectively).

Anyway, no major moves in the off-season. Well, except one--a draft day trade that I didn't think anything of at the time. I had the 17th and 19th picks, neither of which I really wanted, so I traded them(along with my pick two years in the future) to the Nets for the guy they had just drafted 16th and their 1st next year. No big deal, as the Nets were a perennial playoff team. They were getting old though, so I thought there was a outside shot I might get a lottery pick out of it.

Well, the next season comes and I take 57 games. Run into a little trouble in the EC finals, falling down 3-2 to the Pacers, but pull it out in 7. In the Western Conference the 6 and 5 seeds did the dirty work for me, knocking off the Suns and Spurs, so I cruised to the championship. Yay!

Anway, I'm thinking: "Wow, I'm in a great position for a dynasty," as the only aging guy I've got is Wallace and my others are only getting better. Didn't even think about the Nets pick until draft day, when I noticed that they were slotted 9th. Not bad, I thought--maybe I'll be able to pick up a decent backup PG (the only position I needed). Well, the lottery was kind to me--I came away with the third pick. Fuck yeh.

Before the draft it looked like Ed Gray, a 6-2 freshman PG from Virginia was a lock for the top pick. The generic scouts had him all 4s for current and 5s for potential. He averaged like 29/11/9/3. It was ridiculous. There were two other guys that looked really promising, though, a SF and a PF, and I was thrilled that I would get one of them.

Well, on draft day I checked my scouts evaluations (Skiles is Good at Evaluating and I have myself as Very Good... hey, it was my first time). I see that the SF and PF are both 3/4.5 according to my scouts. The shocking thing was that Ed Gray not only fell to a 3.5/3.5 but also appeared to be the biggest lockerroom cancer I've ever seen--very low work ethic, low durability, and the most disruptive personality possible. Ha! Somebodies going to get a bust!

Well, the draft starts. I fully expect Gray to go first, thinking my great scouting got the jump on the other teams. But he doesn't. The SF I prized gets selected. Fuck. Oh well, still got the PF. Then the PF gets taken. FUCK! Now what am I gonna do? I look for other talent. There are a few Euro big men with 4 potential--but they're total projects. But maybe they'll be ready to take over for Wallace when he's gone. On the otherhand, I need a backup PG and Gray is ready to contribute immediately, even though his ceiling is lower and he's an asshole. So I take Gray.

It would have taken me a long time to get over it if I hadn't. After the draft I see my scouts were completely retarded--Gray is already a 4.5(highest I've seen out of the draft) with 5 potential. He's still an asshole-but, god damn, I just added what might be the best PG in the league to a championship team, filling one of my weakest roster spots.

Anyway, just ran the summer league and he tore it up, winning the MVP with 21/10/8/3. Just about to start the road to a repeat... hopefully Ed Gray won't take a knife to Emeka or anything.

And that was a lot more of a dynasty thread than I thought it would be.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 08-17-2005 at 02:28 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Nice.... I think I'll fire up TPB 2005 right now.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

I really need to get that game...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
The shocking thing was that Ed Gray not only fell to a 3.5/3.5 but also appeared to be the biggest lockerroom cancer I've ever seen--very low work ethic, low durability, and the most disruptive personality possible. Ha! Somebodies going to get a bust!

After the draft I see my scouts were completely retarded--Gray is already a 4.5(highest I've seen out of the draft) with 5 potential. He's still an asshole-but, god damn, I just added what might be the best PG in the league to a championship team, filling one of my weakest roster spots.

Congrats - you either just secured yourself as a powerhouse for years to come with many championships piling up.... or just potentially destroyed everything you built

All I will say is watch him carefully - point guard is probably the worst position to have a disgruntled, selfish SOB. If you can keep his attitude up and he stays healthy it looks like it could work out to be one of those deals that writes a franchise into the history books. Good luck and let me know how it goes - I'm interested to see what ends up happening.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just wanted to thank Gary for peeking my interest in the NBA once again.

I think I'll follow it somewhat this year as I've played so much TPB and know most of the players out there now.

If anyone is an NBA fan and plays games seasonally like I somewhat do, give the TPB demo a try. It's already one of my top sims of all time. I love the interface and just how simplistic everything looks and is placed on the screen. The graphics are top notch and the game is very "solo" play engrossing.

I'm back to burning 2+ hours a night with this game.

I want a TPB 2!!!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-30-2005 at 07:23 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

I think I'll follow it somewhat this year as I've played so much TPB and know most of the players out there now.

If anyone is an NBA fan and plays games seasonally like I somewhat do, give the TPB demo a try. It's already one of my top sims of all time. I love the interface and just how simplistic everything looks and is placed on the screen. The graphics are top notch and the game is very "solo" play engrossing.

I want a TPB 2!!!

NO NO NO! I want to see my star high school recruited get his number retired in the pros(TPB) and in college (TCB)
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Thanks Todd - there will be a TPB3 next year - got to finish TCB 1 first though so you can have a complete basketball sim world

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 10-30-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

will TCB 1 beside tpb2 (tpb2005) work on tpB3 too?

thanks gary i am enjoying the game too.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

yeah TCB will be able to export to either TPB 2005 or the next version of TPB as well
Old 10-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's good to hear Gary!! Looking foward to TCB as well as a TPB 3.

Looks like you're keeping the same user friendly interface for TCB as well, which is great news.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:54 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I really need to get that game...

Yes, yes, you do. I want you to get La Tulipe's 1990 rosters mod and see what you do with the Rockets.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:40 AM   #12
oykib
College Starter

Hey, Gary, shouldn't you have a link to your website in your sig?

What's the URL?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:30 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

http://www.greydogsoftware.com

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:25 AM   #14
oykib
College Starter

Thanks, Izulde.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #15
jbmagic
Pro Starter

good news all

Speedy is going to release the opening day roster of the NBA tommorrow

at greydog mod forum
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:44 PM   #16
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Rats! I have TPB2005 but I switched laptops and I can't find my email proving I bought it!

I really enjoyed it the first time through, but I'm not a big basketball freak and eventually FOF2004 called me back.. I forgot I had it until this thread.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

I want a TPB 2!!!

First, I already own the game and like it.

Secondly, are you employed by Greydog? It sure seems like it , as this post is totally unnecessary by someone not employed by GDS. Pretty nauseating, no offense.

Last edited by Schmidty : 10-31-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

Secondly, are you employed by Greydog? It sure seems like, as this post its totally unnecessary by someone not employed by GDS. Pretty nauseating, no offense.

I don't think it is THAT bad. People lay praise on FOF all the time around here, or FM, or FBCB.....

The original post though does have me wanting this game pretty bad. I just don't have he cash right now though. WWSM comes out tomorrow and I want that, I want this, I want to have money for when BBCF comes out. All year waiting for a game and all of a sudden I am screwed.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't think Todd's post was bad at all. He praised a game that he likes. I praise FM frequently. I've also been praising Civ 4 recently. Quite a bit of the time, people on this board praise games that they like.

As far as the topic, I don't like TPB that much, but that is just my opinion.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #20
Zippo
High School JV

I have a small 10 team fictional league going, 3 seasons now and have still yet to win a championship. My best chance was last season only to lose to the eventual champions in the conference final in overtime in game number 7. Oh well, there's always next year right.

Last edited by Zippo : 10-31-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #21
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
A little background:

Been playing this game for about a week, started off with the Bobcats in Pure GM mode. First draft yeilded a great prospect at the 3rd pick, 5 star potential SG 6-7 Keith Brennan. Next off-season I added Ben Wallace after making unsuccessful runs at Amare and Yao. Got 4 star potential SG 6-2 Chris Grimes at with the 4th pick. Did fairly well, but missed the playoffs. Picked up Shaun Livingston as a FA in the off-season. Going in to season 4 I'm thinking I should be a four seed at least. Brennan is starting to excel, putting up about 20/5/4 a game, Grimes was netting about 18 a game.

After about 20 games I was 5 under .500. This would not stand. One thing that especially pissed me off was that Bickerstaff insisted on playing the 6-7 Brennan at PG and the 6-2 Grimes at SG, even though they both had the same general ratings at handling and passing. So Bickerstaff gets the axe and I quickly hire Scott Skiles as a replacement. We're playing alot better, but Skiles too has Grimes as a SG, when I'd just as soon have him coming off the bench (even with his 18.5 PPG) and have Livingston(now a 3.5) and Brennan out there playing their natural positions. So I make the decision to trade Grimes, finally find a taker in the Chicago Bulls. I forget all that was involved, but the major component was Grimes for Luol Deng (3.5/4.5 in a contract year) We finish the year out strong, winning 45 or so and landing the 5 spot in the playoffs.

In the playoffs, Keith Brennan starts to absolutely tear it up. Much to my surprise, I walk through the Eastern Conference with relative ease, behind Brennan's 27/7/5. Meet the Suns in the finals, only to lose in 7 after both Brennan and Ben Wallace miss the final three games with annoyingly minor injuries (sore leg and minor concussion, respectively).

Anyway, no major moves in the off-season. Well, except one--a draft day trade that I didn't think anything of at the time. I had the 17th and 19th picks, neither of which I really wanted, so I traded them(along with my pick two years in the future) to the Nets for the guy they had just drafted 16th and their 1st next year. No big deal, as the Nets were a perennial playoff team. They were getting old though, so I thought there was a outside shot I might get a lottery pick out of it.

Well, the next season comes and I take 57 games. Run into a little trouble in the EC finals, falling down 3-2 to the Pacers, but pull it out in 7. In the Western Conference the 6 and 5 seeds did the dirty work for me, knocking off the Suns and Spurs, so I cruised to the championship. Yay!

Anway, I'm thinking: "Wow, I'm in a great position for a dynasty," as the only aging guy I've got is Wallace and my others are only getting better. Didn't even think about the Nets pick until draft day, when I noticed that they were slotted 9th. Not bad, I thought--maybe I'll be able to pick up a decent backup PG (the only position I needed). Well, the lottery was kind to me--I came away with the third pick. Fuck yeh.

Before the draft it looked like Ed Gray, a 6-2 freshman PG from Virginia was a lock for the top pick. The generic scouts had him all 4s for current and 5s for potential. He averaged like 29/11/9/3. It was ridiculous. There were two other guys that looked really promising, though, a SF and a PF, and I was thrilled that I would get one of them.

Well, on draft day I checked my scouts evaluations (Skiles is Good at Evaluating and I have myself as Very Good... hey, it was my first time). I see that the SF and PF are both 3/4.5 according to my scouts. The shocking thing was that Ed Gray not only fell to a 3.5/3.5 but also appeared to be the biggest lockerroom cancer I've ever seen--very low work ethic, low durability, and the most disruptive personality possible. Ha! Somebodies going to get a bust!

Well, the draft starts. I fully expect Gray to go first, thinking my great scouting got the jump on the other teams. But he doesn't. The SF I prized gets selected. Fuck. Oh well, still got the PF. Then the PF gets taken. FUCK! Now what am I gonna do? I look for other talent. There are a few Euro big men with 4 potential--but they're total projects. But maybe they'll be ready to take over for Wallace when he's gone. On the otherhand, I need a backup PG and Gray is ready to contribute immediately, even though his ceiling is lower and he's an asshole. So I take Gray.

It would have taken me a long time to get over it if I hadn't. After the draft I see my scouts were completely retarded--Gray is already a 4.5(highest I've seen out of the draft) with 5 potential. He's still an asshole-but, god damn, I just added what might be the best PG in the league to a championship team, filling one of my weakest roster spots.

Anyway, just ran the summer league and he tore it up, winning the MVP with 21/10/8/3. Just about to start the road to a repeat... hopefully Ed Gray won't take a knife to Emeka or anything.

And that was a lot more of a dynasty thread than I thought it would be.
Great story. Did you win the title then?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Yes, yes, you do. I want you to get La Tulipe's 1990 rosters mod and see what you do with the Rockets.

I would love to, but a lack of funding right now makes it kinda difficult to do so...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

Secondly, are you employed by Greydog? It sure seems like it , as this post is totally unnecessary by someone not employed by GDS. Pretty nauseating, no offense.

Nope, just think games like these need a bumping, especially since the NBA kicks off tonight (I think).

Sorry, didn't really mean to nauseate anybody.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #24
Blade6119
Coordinator

you made me nauseate when you turned your back on the 2008(i think thats where we were) tigers
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can we continue with Total College Football?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #26
Blade6119
Coordinator

If its a good game, well do it
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #27
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
Rats! I have TPB2005 but I switched laptops and I can't find my email proving I bought it!

Send an email to scott at greydogsoftware.com and I will look up your order ID for you.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote