Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Top Chef-Masters

Anyone else catch the first episode last night? I have to say that I miss seeing Tom and Padma, but the show itself was still really interesting. It was great to see seasoned chefs deal with some of the same crazy challenges and bizarre food prep situations the regular contestants go through. I know I'll be following the rest of the series as it unfolds....

Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Caught it (on replay).

Loved it. Loved seeing the seasoned chefs dealing with the challenges, like you said. Also liked seeing that they were human and that they really respect the previous Top Chef competitors.

Was personally upset that Michael Schlow didn't fare better, but really Hubert blew them away in all phases of the game and deserves to go on.

Interesting format - I suppose they do it because they can't pull these chefs out of all their restaurants for a month at any point. But a day here-and-there is okay.

And I love that they're playing for personal charities.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol

from Jay Rayner's blog on bravo.com
Quote:
No matter: I was sure the studios in Downtown LA would deliver on that but again, I'm afraid, first impressions were disappointing. Our base – or the megaplex, as someone with a bitter sense of humour had named it – was a pretty rough looking breeze block space on the edge of the city, down the kind of street you might go for a little light mugging. According to rumour there were permanent films sets upstairs – the classroom, the locker room, the doctor's
surgery – used for the sorts of movies that didn't need much in the way of costumes; looking at the place I could believe it. (One evening shooting had to be suspended for a few minutes because of too much noise from up above, a very special kind of bump and grind.)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

DVR'd it, I'll take a look at it tonight.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
DVR'd it, I'll take a look at it tonight.

Same, although we've still got Deadliest Catch to watch, too. Not sure when I'll get to this one.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm trying to figure out which episode Rick Bayless will be on (I'm a Rick Bayless fanboy).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
heybrad
Norm!!!

My wife and I watched it and figured Hubert would destroy that group. It was interesting to watch though. The biggest disappoint me for me is not having Padma.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Ksyrup

Padma's too busy licking Hardee's BBQ sauce off her fingers this summer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
My wife and I watched it and figured Hubert would destroy that group. It was interesting to watch though. The biggest disappoint me for me is not having Padma.

God, that's a plus for me. Her moderately decent looks were destroyed by the fact I thought she was a dipshit.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Really liked the first episode (just watched it).

I like how this is Top Chef without the "made for TV" drama. I love watching real pros cook (not to say that other seasons haven't had some fantastic chefs, but these guys are miles ahead of them, what I think they look up to be).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I still enjoy the show, though Wednesday's episode was a surprise to me. I was surprised to see how much of a d-bag Chiarello was to his sous-chefs, but I was also surprised at how Richard Blais was very...agitated. And the fact that he said "he should have been" the winner when he was on.

I still hope Keller wins (finale next week).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I thought Chiarello was giving off a vibe of false modesty in most of the other shows (and in his own shows), so I wasn't too surprised to see him come off that way.....I was surprised to see Dale get up in his face like that, though. How does a dude like that even make it through a single day? Does he end up chest-bumping dudes/women/children at the gas-station/grocery store/senior home, asking everybody what they're going to do about it?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hubert has just got to win. He's been #1 constantly and hasn't really misstepped at all - what was the worst thing he did - the soup in his initial episode?

makes me want to visit his restaurants in SF!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Haven't started watching the new season yet, but the DVR is filling up.

In related news, Tom Colicchio was named the James Beard award winner, so he's, like, the REAL top chef now.