Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

RIP Will Owsley

Probably unknown to most everybody, but Will Owsley was a fantastic power pop songwriter based out of Nashville who never made it big and ended up - as far as I can tell - recording, producing, and playing with Amy Grant, Chris Sligh (from AI), Shania Twain, and a bunch of Disney acts like Demi Lovato and Jonas Bros. According to a stream of twitter reports, he committed suicide today.

His original band from the early 90s, The Semantics, briefly featured Ben Folds and Ringo's son, as well as the equally brilliant Millard Powers. They recorded an album that never got released in the US, and then when Owsley went solo, he got screwed again by record company issues when his label went under. He released another album in the mid-2000s, before kinda dropping off the face of the earth and getting into writing and producing for others. Not sure what his issues were, but his 1999 solo solo album was one of about a half-dozen albums released right around that time that turned me into a huge power pop fan.

There's not much of his on YT, but here's a Semantics song.

http://

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

Oh damn. The guy had some skills with the guitar. Pretty young guy too.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I had all his solo stuff and listened to it a few times a year. Life will get you in the end, sorry to say.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This is being posted a bunch on Amy's Facebook page. One look at the guy and I think he played guitar for her band when I saw her live some years ago. I don't think they mentioned why he died, but he was young enough it was a thought that came to my head. A sad day indeed.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Ksyrup

Yeah, he supported himself by playing in Amy Grant's touring band since the mid-90s, I think.

In fact, here's an article about his death from his hometown newspaper:

Quote:
Accomplished Nashville musician and Anniston native Will Owsley dies at age 44
by staff reports
May 02, 2010

A funeral service will be held this week at Parker Memorial Baptist Church in Anniston for one of the most talented musicians to ever come out of the Model City.

Will Owsley died at Williamson County Hospital in Franklin, Tenn., around midday Friday, said his mother, Alys. He was 44. The exact date of the funeral had not been determined Saturday evening, she said.

Owsley leaves two sons, Walker Jackson Owsley, 12, and William Reese (Liam) Owsley IV, age 8. Their mother is Owsley’s former wife, Rebecca Walker, formerly of Anniston.

Survivors in Anniston include his parents, Bill and Alys Owsley, brother Bud Owsley and his wife, Wendy, and sister Lucie Owsley.

A musician since he was a teenager, Owsley had 10 gold records and had toured the world three times with various top-name bands.

According to a short article by music writer Peter Cooper announcing Owsley’s death in The Tennessean, Owsley was Amy Grant’s touring guitarist for 16 years, and his own music veered into edgier, power-pop terrains. He was nominated for a Grammy award for his engineering work on 1999 solo debut album Owsley, released through Giant Records. Owsley performed with Shania Twain on numerous national television shows and awards programs. A second album, called The Hard Way, was Owsley’s own creation in a studio he built in his home in Franklin, Tenn.

A statement from Grant on her website reads, “We are all reeling today from the news of Will Owsley’s death yesterday. So many of us in Nashville worked with Will, lived with him on the road, celebrated his talents and knew his anguish. Please join us in praying for his family and children.”

Owsley paid a professional visit to his home state in November last year when he performed with Grant and the Alabama Symphony Orchestra in Birmingham.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Pyser
Pro Rookie

his first solo album was phenomenal. damn.

rip.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
his first solo album was phenomenal. damn.

rip.

Found it on Amazon. Reminds me a lot of PFR(Pray For Rain).

http://www.amazon.com/Owsley/dp/B000...ref=pd_sim_m_1

Last edited by Matthean : 05-02-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Ksyrup

His brother posted this to the Jelly-L this morning:

Quote:
Dear All:

As you know, we lost my wonderful, talented brother, Will Owsley, on
Friday, [April] 30. All of us in our family are absolutely devastated. Our
lives will never be the same, again. Yet, in our grief, I want all of
you, who loved his music, to know just how much we appreciate the
support and encouragement you gave to Will over his career. He truly
loved creating and performing the music that came straight from his
big heart. I thank to God for Will and for giving him the ability to
touch so many lives in a positive way. Today, we are in great pain.
But my beloved brother is finally at peace as he rests in the arms of
the Almighty.

Sincerely,

Bud Owsley
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Found it on Amazon. Reminds me a lot of PFR(Pray For Rain).

Amazon.com: Owsley: Owsley: Music

Wow, the only other person to reference PFR in my lifetime. You are now +100 in my book.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Really cool to see some of this stuff popping up on the net:

Hooks 'N' You: Will Harris Remembers Will Owsley | Popdose
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Ksyrup

To bring this thread to conclusion...

Quote:
Will Owsley laid to rest
by Patrick McCreless
[email protected]
May 05, 2010 | 2778 views | 0 | 25 | |

slideshow

Throughout his musical career, William Owsley kept stride with many big-name artists and played at venues filled to capacity.

It was only fitting his funeral would echo his life.

Hundreds of friends, family as well as popular music stars such as Vince Gill and Amy Grant, attended Owsley’s funeral Tuesday at Parker Memorial Baptist Church in Anniston.

Before the ceremony began, people waiting to see the family created a line that wound its way throughout the church. Those same attendees filled the church beyond its seating capacity – with many forced to stand along the church’s back wall or sit in foldout chairs lining the pews as well as on the two stairways that led to the balcony.

“It’s good to see Will’s hometown,” said Grant, speaking to the crowd. “All of us who toured with him heard lots of good stories about his hometown. You have to have some good stories to write good songs and Will could write some amazing songs.”

Owsley, 44, of Franklin, Tenn. and formerly of Anniston, died Friday at Williamson County Hospital in Tennessee. Speakers at the funeral acknowledged that Owsley took his own life.

An Anniston native, Owsley graduated from Anniston High School and began his musical career playing guitar in local clubs before moving to Nashville 24 years ago.

Owsley played with many Christian musicians like Judson Spence and Michael W. Smith and was Grant’s tour guitarist for 16 years. He toured the world three times, once with his own band, named Owsley. His first album, also entitled Owsley, was nominated for a Grammy Award. During his career, Owsley had 10 gold and platinum records.

During the funeral, Grant stood and played one of her popular songs, “Threaten Me with Heaven,” as a tribute to her friend and fellow artist.

“The family asked me to play this song,” Grant said. “I don’t play it as good as he did, but I’m sure he’s cheering me on.”

Grant said the song would not have even existed were it not for Owsley’s influence.

“It never would have been written without Will’s tenacity … to get us all in one room,” she said.

Gill, who the family also asked to perform, played his popular song, “Go Rest High Upon That Mountain.”

“I’ve sung this song thousands of times, but it’s never been more appropriate than for this day,” Gill said.

As Gill strummed his guitar in preparation to sing, he choked back tears and spoke briefly on his long friendship with Owsley.

“I know after this day that I’m a much better man because of that fellow,” Gill said.

Spence said he thought long and hard to pick which song he would play at Owsley’s funeral before finally settling on his own rendition of the well-known Christian song, “Jesus Loves Me.”

“When I was thinking about what to sing today, I remembered a conversation we had six months ago and out of the blue, (Owsley) said, ‘I love how you sing Jesus Loves Me,’” Spence said.

Pastor Jim Thomas, who preached at Owsley’s church in Tennessee, made the trip to Anniston just to speak about his friend.

“Will was such a treat to have worshipping with us,” Thomas said. “He could light up a room and I loved that. You sent us one of your best and brightest.”

Owsley was buried at Highland Cemetery. He is survived by two sons, his wife, parents, brother and sister.