Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Gallop Racer 2006

It's that time again.. I might pick this one up.. barring reviews.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/770/770491.html

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I picked it up off atomicpark.com for $36 with free 6-10 day shipping. Looking forward to getting it and getting started.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I bought the original and loved it but the 200x's seem like the original - have they ever made significant changes to the game?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I played 2003 quite a bit. I'm holding out on reviews for this one, though the older ones (except the first) all got medicore scores (5-6.5 range). We'll see. Any impressions would be appreciated
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
twothree
College Prospect

Well, the only previous version I had was GR2001, but I did buy GR2006 and it has been fun to play. There are quite a few changes between those versions.

Something that some people don't like on the ORL forums is that in GR2006 you can only race 1 horse at a time. I thought I might not like it either, but now after playing the game for 2 days I like focusing on one horse at a time.

GR2006 features:
It has four modes of play.

VS Mode - This is a two-player mode. It also has a 4-player tournament mode, but only 2 players race at any time.

Simulation Mode - This is basically the editor. You can create new races, horses, and jockeys. You can also edit in game horses and jockeys. You can change the horse's data and can also rename them. So if you want to edit their real names into the game, you can. Changes made to the horses are seen in all other modes.

Free Mode - This is the single race mode. Basically you can pick an in game race or a created race made in simulation mode. Then pick the horses from in game, created in simulation mode, or your horses from theme park mode. Change the race settings and then run it.

***Theme Park Mode*** - This is the career mode and it is fun. You start off with 10,000 points. You spend point to breed horses, race a horse through its career, or bet on races ran by your career horse. You gain points by winning bets and when your career horse retires. Betting can be win, place, show, quinella, exacta, trifecta, boxed quinella, boxed exacta, or boxed trifecta.

In theme park mode, you basically pick a horse and run him from a two year old until he retires. Then you pick another horse or the same horse again and do the same. You can choose an in game horse or a player bred horse. If you choose an in game horse, once he retires that's it. You can't breed from him. Some people on the ORL forums don't like this feature. If you choose a player bred horse, once he retires then you can breed him.

You can unlock additional horses, races, and titles by earning titles. Titles are a list of races you must win.

Breeding horses takes points. You can select from over 100 in game sires and over 100 in game broodmares to make a pairing. Also, you can select any player-bred horse that you have completed running through its career as part of the pairing. You can only find out all the new foal's abilities and data after racing it through its career, but are given its general abilities when it is born.

Bred horses have a listed pedigree that goes back four generations. Abilities can be passed down from generations or developed while racing a horse. Some abilities can be upgrade into better versions while racing the horse. You can have 100 player-bred horses stored in game.

When you retire a horse you earn points from how well it did. The amount of earnings it won, wins, G1 wins and longest winning streak are converted into points. You might also lose points for retrying a race during a horses career, however you do get bonus points for not retrying any races.

The start meter is new. It consists of two arrows that you have to get as close as possible to get a good start. Different horses have different speeds for the arrows. During the race the arrows represent the horse’s speed and the speed at which the jockey is trying to make the horse go. Instead of just a whip action, you can now use normal whip, shoulder whip, or just show the horse the whip.

There is tons of information that is displayed and recorded. When you retire a player breed horse it records information on the last 20 races it ran.

Edit: Here is a link to my stable (dynasty) on the ORL forums. http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracer...picID=26.topic

Last edited by twothree : 05-05-2006 at 12:31 PM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Ramzavail
College Starter

Is this the game that I saw in the arcades that you get a "card" after you play and it saves your horse on it?

I had a friend that had a card last time I was at D&B's and he ruled the roost against a pack of 12 year old boys and girls. A real rout.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
twothree
College Prospect

No. This is a Playstation 2 game. Also, here is a link to the first impressions thread on the ORL forums.
http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracer...picID=72.topic
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
No. This is a Playstation 2 game. Also, here is a link to the first impressions thread on the ORL forums.
Bah! What kind of self-respecting "first-impressions" thread doesn't start off with "Alrighty Boy(s/z)!"

Last edited by Toddzilla : 05-05-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree

Good impressions thread. Covers a lot of info. Ready to get my copy and start racing.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for all the information!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
AlexB
Pro Starter

UIC comment on the first impressions thread

'Breeding is very fast'
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Dunno if I'll pick this up. Not only am I running low on funds right about now, but I'd rather just save my money until one day I can buy a Derby Owner's Club machine. That's still the best horse racing game ever.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Dunno if I'll pick this up. Not only am I running low on funds right about now, but I'd rather just save my money until one day I can buy a Derby Owner's Club machine. That's still the best horse racing game ever.

I am pretty sure that Mame emulates a few of the derby owner club machines.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #14
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
A fellow addict! Yay!

I rarely ever get to play anymore now that I've been promoted but it's still a blast whenever I do get to.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Bah! What kind of self-respecting "first-impressions" thread doesn't start off with "Alrighty Boy(s/z)!"

I'm pretty sure that any first impressions thread that respects itself doesn't start out with "Alrighty boyz"...
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #16
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

There's a DOC machine at the Gameworks in Columbus and the Dave & Buster's in Cincinnati. Me and a buddy of mine take off of work early on a Mon-Fri to go to Gameworks between like 4-7 cuz it's happy hour where all the drinks/appetizers/GAMES are 50% off! I loaded DOC and played for like 4-5 hours over 2 visits on like $30. Pretty sweet. I need to go back there again
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #17
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Best deal is to go on Thursday where there should be a promo call "2 Fer Thursday" running. You should be able to get a 2-Hour card for $10 after 7PM. It's a Heck of a deal, if you can get down there then.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

I've got this game and am loving it, but there a few things I don't understand: Is there a point to rivals, what's the difference between "normal" horses and "special" horses, and how do I get those stars at the top right of the "my horse" screen.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #19
mrsimperless
College Prospect

So what is the final verdict on this game? I was considering getting it, but the new "career mode" sounds a bit suspect to me. I really enjoyed the career mode from GR2004 and this doesn't sound like it's anything like it at all.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Must be that time of year but I have an itch to play a horse racing game/sim. I still have my PS2 but have no clue where any of my games to it are. I'm looking to buy Gallop Racer on Ebay - which year is the best one? I see that 2006 was the last of the series.

I remember one version ( I think the 2001) had an aerial view while playing and other didn't - I liked going in and out of that view while playing.

Any other racing sims out there?

Edit: After looking at video of Gallop Racer 2001 - that was the one I had and played a lot of.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 05-02-2010 at 06:31 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote