Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sean Payton stealing Vicodin from Saints drug locker?

Interesting to see how the league handles this if it turns out to be true:

Quote:
Sean Payton implicated in alleged Vicodin theft at Saints facility
Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2010 12:23 PM ET
On Friday, former Saints director of security Geoffrey Santini sued the team for constructive discharge. He alleges that G.M. Mickey Loomis attempted to cover up evidence that Vicodin was being stolen from the team drug locker by two senior staff members.

The lawsuit does not name the two senior staff members. Per the initial filing, Saints trainer Scottie Patton told Santini that one of the unnamed employees has a "painful medical condition," and that the other one does not.

Based on extensive discussions with multiple sources having knowledge of the situation but who have requested anonymity given the sensitive nature of the case, the two unnamed senior staff members are assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt and head coach Sean Payton.

Keep in mind that these are only allegations. To date, no proof has been introduced linking either man to the alleged theft, unauthorized use, or abuse of Vicodin from the Saints' drug locker. It is our understanding that the matter has been referred to local federal authorities, and that the matter has been investigated. We don't know whether the investigation has been concluded, or whether it remains active.

Per our sources, Vitt is the staff member with the painful medical condition. Which means that Payton is the staff member who, based on the information provided by Patton to Santini, does not have a painful medical condition.

The Saints declined comment on the matter. Reach by e-mail, V.P. of communications Greg Bensel forwarded his statement from Friday, which initially was given to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "I will not have any other comment nor will I be releasing these names," Bensel told us.

(Here is Bensel's statement from Friday: "A former employee who resigned just before the 2009 regular season threatened to go public with these unfounded charges unless we agreed to pay him an exorbitant sum of money. We refused and now he has gone public. We will aggressively defend these false allegations in court. We will not have any further comment on this matter at this time. Rather we look forward to welcoming our rookie players and want our focus to be on continuing our preparations for the 2010 Football Season and defending our title.")

We've been advised that settlement discussions indeed occurred before the suit was filed, but that an agreement (obviously) was not reached. The lawsuit filing indicates that formal service of the documents has not yet been requested. Once service occurs, the Saints will have a finite period of time within which to respond. Given that the claims implicate federal drug laws, it's possible that the team will remove the lawsuit from Louisiana state court to federal court.

Typically, federal court provides a more level playing field for business interests. Given the extent to which the Saints are locally beloved, however, Santini and his lawyer could have a hard time finding jurors in either the state or federal setting who will be capable of overlooking the fleur-de-lis that has been tattooed onto their souls.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Knew some people who abused Vicodin, terrible thing.
One even abused it to the point of causing noticeable brain damage.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Why didnt he just go to the team doctor and get it prescribed, those guys dont care.

(if true)

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-01-2010 at 02:27 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Knew some people who abused Vicodin, terrible thing.
One even abused it to the point of causing noticeable brain damage.

I took it for pain following my vasectomy. Only took it for two weeks, but still had some withdrawal symptoms. Glad I don't have an addictive personality.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I've been on it twice and found the withdrawal symptoms to be almost as bad as the initial pain it was meant to stop.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I've been on it twice and found the withdrawal symptoms to be almost as bad as the initial pain it was meant to stop.

I've been off it for almost 1 year now (pain killers in general) but was on it/ addicted for a good 8 years. The withdrawal was the worst thing / pain / sickness Ive EVER been through.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Tigercat
College Starter

All indications are, if it happened, it was an employee (a non-player) and the Saints handled it on their end. Their property, their premises, their rules on leniency and getting the person help or not. But instead of disagreeing with the Saints and taking a case to the cops, the former security officer decides only to file a civil case for money.

Its a non issue unless it turns out to be a player stealing and dealing, which seems quite unlikely. Being a small market Super Bowl winning team is weird. It does get the team more national coverage, but instead of good team analysis, it just leads to a lot of the unusual stories getting picked up nationally.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote