Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Recommend a book for me

Lately I've been reading various books that don't seem to fit a specific genre I can think of but have the following characteristics:

- non-fiction, usually with fairly wide themes
- frequent reference to psychology, notable experiments and research, etc., but in simple and high-level terms that a dumb guy like me can understand
- somewhat business focused without being especially career-oriented
- not self-help or feel-good pop psychology stuff

A few examples would include Blink and Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb, and Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.

I'm not sure I'm describing this class of books very well. But if this seems familiar and you have any recommendations, I'd love to see them.

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

Have you read any of Steven Pinker's books? Not really business oriented, but seems like they might be up your alley. Try How the Mind Works or the Blank Slate.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hockey

Last edited by MikeVic : 03-26-2008 at 04:54 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Have you read any of Steven Pinker's books? Not really business oriented, but seems like they might be up your alley. Try How the Mind Works or the Blank Slate.

I'd second the Pinker books. They are interesting and well written. Definitely more psychology/sociology/evolutionary oriented than business orient, but quite good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

You're recommending him a book on the Stanley Cup? Didn't he say non-fiction?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner would fit well, aside from the business focus (well, you can make a case that the theme of the book, ie incentives matter, is very important in business, but that's not really "business focused").
Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I read Freakonomics and Freedomnomics (hate the name, btw) by John Lott back to back and it was an interesting exercise. Freedomnomics (again, can I tell you how much I hate that name?) isn't a true rebuttal to Freakonomics, but there are a few parts that were clearly written to refute Levitt and Dubner.

I just finished Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg and found it to be really fascinating. I know some people have been turned off by the name, but this isn't your typical book by Coulter, Hannity, or Savage. It's a surprisingly serious book, and one that takes a few swipes at "compassionate conservatism" as well.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Coder
College Prospect

No Logo by Naomi Klein

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Sgran
High School Varsity

Fast Food Nation? (I've only read bits of it myself)
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Klinglerware
College Starter

"Thinking Strategically" by Dixit and Nalebuff. It's a few years old now, but still a good read.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Ray Kurzweil's books might interest you, as well.

knives out
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think Malcolm Gladwell is almost endlessly compelling, especially Blink. If it's on your candidate list, I don't think you would regret reading it. For what it's worth, he also does his own reading for his audio versions, and that adds to their value a lot, too. I have listened to the unabridged Blink twice, and I think I could listen to Gladwell reading the classifieds for two hours without losing my interest.

You might also include James Surowiecki's The Wisdom of Crowds onto your list as well. Not as clever as Gladwell, but some interesting insights there, I think. I liked both of them a good deal more than I enjoyed Freaknomics or Fooled by Randomness (which is Taleb's first book, before he could start hustling this same crap year after year).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Good suggestions, keep them coming.

I've read and enjoyed Freakanomics and Fast Food Nation. I'm also trying to get into The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo, although that's been a tougher nut to crack for some reason.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

If you're open to a somewhat thicker read, that gets a bit past pop psychology and into a little bit of metaphysics, you could look into Godel, Escher, Bach which will prove to be five times tougher to read than any of the nonfiction fluff you mentioned, but maybe twenty times more compelling. It's a book I wished would never end.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I think Malcolm Gladwell is almost endlessly compelling, especially Blink. If it's on your candidate list, I don't think you would regret reading it. For what it's worth, he also does his own reading for his audio versions, and that adds to their value a lot, too. I have listened to the unabridged Blink twice, and I think I could listen to Gladwell reading the classifieds for two hours without losing my interest.
I prefer to listen to books on CD if possible, and I find the reader makes all the difference. I've actually enjoyed Black Swan quite a bit, but almost gave up after the first few chapters because a) Taleb babbles on endlessly about his youth before getting to anything resembling a point, and b) the guy doing the reading is awful. He has a nasally voice and an insistence on over-pronoucning foreign names that fits right in with Taleb's "wow am I ever smarter than you" tone.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Freakonomics is great.

Tipping Point
http://www.amazon.com/Tipping-Point-.../dp/0349113467
Tipping point is about the small things which can have large effects - how individuals can cause trends in society and suchlike. Its not quite as readable as 'Freakonomics' but interesting all the same, again as with Freakonomics expect to take some of it with a pinch of salt - but its got some interesting ideas.

I quite liked:

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...V82GSQNMWJW4MQ
It was by the same author and was about 'gut-reactions' why they happen and whether they're correct. Again not as easy a read as Freakonomics but interesting all the same ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-27-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I seriously could not get through the -introduction- of Black Swan without saying "This guy is a moron" and putting it down. He should be putting out CD's the way he loves to toot his own horn. How to take advantage of completely unpredictable events in the market...we don't know when they'll happen, what will precipitate them, but he'll tell you that you have to be take advantage of them. . . How? Gee...I don't know...stay invested perhaps?
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Miles the story about Miles Davis.
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
Malificent
High School JV

Predictably Irrational - Dan Ariely

Note, I know the author personally and he's a fantastically interesting guy.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown View Post
I seriously could not get through the -introduction- of Black Swan without saying "This guy is a moron" and putting it down. He should be putting out CD's the way he loves to toot his own horn. How to take advantage of completely unpredictable events in the market...we don't know when they'll happen, what will precipitate them, but he'll tell you that you have to be take advantage of them. . . How? Gee...I don't know...stay invested perhaps?

+1

knives out
Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #21
Anthony
Banned

World War Z

it's a recount of a war against zombies that almost eliminated humans from the earth.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown View Post
I'm enjoying it, but if I were to lend it to a friend I'd recommend they skip part one entirely.

He's a smart guy but he desperately needs an editor.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #23
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
World War Z

it's a recount of a war against zombies that almost eliminated humans from the earth.

That fits the genre he is looking for perfectly.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
World War Z

Great book, but doesn't fit the criteria .
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
korme
Go Reds

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Great book, but doesn't fit the criteria .

As far as Maple Leafs is concerned, World War Z probably fits the criteria a bit more closely than MikeVic's initial suggestion.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #27
Anthony
Banned

lol, oops, i didn't read his criteria, i saw the thread title and went straight to quick reply.

good story, nevertheless.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Leafs Win the Stanley Cup....great fiction book!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Predictably Irrational - Dan Ariely

Note, I know the author personally and he's a fantastically interesting guy.
Finally got around to picking this one up on audio CD and am almost at the end. Fantastic book. Exactly what I was looking for.

Dan Ariely sounds like a really cool guy.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #30
samifan24
Pro Starter

I work in a bookstore. Take it from me, if you liked "Blink" and "The Tipping Point," you'll want to check out "Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior." It's a new book, came out about a month ago, and is a quick read.

Last edited by samifan24 : 07-23-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added link
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #31
KWhit
Coordinator

I've heard that The Wisdom of Crowds is good too, but haven't read it.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #32
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I've heard that The Wisdom of Crowds is good too, but haven't read it.
Yeah, have that one on the shelf here at work, hope to get to it soon.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #33
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Currently reading The Emporer's New Mind by Roger Penrose. I'll let you know how it goes.

I got this one to counter The Singularity Is Near by Ray Kurzweil.

Not business related, but very interesting.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #34
clemsonfan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Fast Food Nation? (I've only read bits of it myself)

That's an awesome book!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #35
jonesz
Mascot

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach. - Interesting look at the possibility of an afterlife from a somewhat scientific perspective.

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman - Just got done reading this. It's fairly old, written back in 1962 and won the Pullizer Prize. It's a synopsis of the first three months of WW I. I've been interested in WW II in the past but did not have much interest in WW I until I read this. I found it simply fascinating.

Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe by Rich Eisen - I'm reading this right now and am really enjoying it. It's a smart, funny true behind the scenes look at a year of the NFL. It is really making me yearning for football season!

The Draft: A Year Inside the NFL's Search for Talent by Pete Williams - Almost currently done with this one as well. A great behind the scenes look at the draft process written during the 2005 NFL draft. Really enjoying it.

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - Much better than the movie IMO.

The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger - If you haven't read it yet, it's a terrific read. So much better than the movie.

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand - Good movie, but FANTASTIC book.

I know these don't meet all of your criteria, but at least they are all non-fiction.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I read Freakonomics and Freedomnomics (hate the name, btw) by John Lott back to back and it was an interesting exercise. Freedomnomics (again, can I tell you how much I hate that name?) isn't a true rebuttal to Freakonomics, but there are a few parts that were clearly written to refute Levitt and Dubner.

I just finished Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg and found it to be really fascinating. I know some people have been turned off by the name, but this isn't your typical book by Coulter, Hannity, or Savage. It's a surprisingly serious book, and one that takes a few swipes at "compassionate conservatism" as well.

Cam, here's my problem with both Jonah and Ramesh Ponnoru (though I recognize the 2nd guy is far more "intellectual" than Goldberg who though smart, is basically a columnist) - both wrote books that they intended as genuine analysis/feedback, rather than a Coulter-esque "blame the gheys and brown ppl" approach. On the one hand, both wrote books with provocative titles ("Liberal Facism " and "Party of Death"? Really?) that was aimed squarely at selling to the audience that buys Coulter-esque books. It seems to me that if you want to complain (more Jonah than Ramesh) that you're not being taken seriously as an intellectual / academic work, you can't at the same time be actively positioning your book to the Limbaugh level crowd- its trying to have your cake and eat it too.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #37
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
David Hadju just came out with a really cool book about the great comic book scare in the 50's - he wrote a wonderful Dylan biography back in the day, so I picked it up, but haven't flipped through yet.

Amazon.com: The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America: David Hajdu: Books

The Dylan / Farina / Joan Baez biography (one of my favs):
Amazon.com: Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina: David Hajdu: Books
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #38
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Violence in the Model City by Sidney Fine

1967 Detroit riot. The problems that led to it, allowed it to flourish, the immediate effect and how the city was impacted.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesz View Post
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman - Just got done reading this. It's fairly old, written back in 1962 and won the Pullizer Prize. It's a synopsis of the first three months of WW I. I've been interested in WW II in the past but did not have much interest in WW I until I read this. I found it simply fascinating.

During a WW I history class I had, the professor said this was one of the best books about WW I ever written even to this day.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #40
Anthony
Banned

i'm currently reading "Hells Angels", by Hunter S. Thompson, about his time following the biker gang around.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #41
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i'm currently reading "Hells Angels", by Hunter S. Thompson, about his time following the biker gang around.

Good stuff right there. I was going to suggest "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" but "Hells Angels" is as good.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #42
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Not about business, but Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert fits right in with your other request points. Malcolm Gladwell even guest reviews it at amazon.com It's a great read about what makes you happy and how it's not what you think, but not at ALL a self help book.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #43
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Cam, here's my problem with both Jonah and Ramesh Ponnoru (though I recognize the 2nd guy is far more "intellectual" than Goldberg who though smart, is basically a columnist) - both wrote books that they intended as genuine analysis/feedback, rather than a Coulter-esque "blame the gheys and brown ppl" approach. On the one hand, both wrote books with provocative titles ("Liberal Facism " and "Party of Death"? Really?) that was aimed squarely at selling to the audience that buys Coulter-esque books. It seems to me that if you want to complain (more Jonah than Ramesh) that you're not being taken seriously as an intellectual / academic work, you can't at the same time be actively positioning your book to the Limbaugh level crowd- its trying to have your cake and eat it too.

I started to write a reply to this when I sat down in front of the computer this morning, but my daughter dragged me off to play Candyland and I forgot about this. Sorry.

Much of this, I think, has to do with the publishers of the book. They want the book to sell, and if it's marketed to the Limbaugh crowd, they're going to sell more copies than if it's a largely academic text.

There's also the benefit of bringing in readers who may be more used to an Ann Coulter polemic than a conservative history of Progressivism. Not all Ann Coulter fans are inbred cousin humpers, any more than all Michael Moore fans are socialist bleeding-hearts. So, practically speaking, there are a couple of reasons for this.

I think Jonah and Ramesh (did Ramesh complain about not being taken seriously? I honestly can't remember) may be getting upset because their critics are literally judging a book by its cover. I've even seen a "book review" of Liberal Fascism by an alt-weekly writer in Boise who admitted he never even cracked open a copy. It's THAT kind of dismissal that annoys Goldberg, and rightfully so I think. Read the book, and if you still think it's juvenile and illiterate, point out examples. I think Ramesh has earned that respect, and I believe Goldberg has as well. There are certainly conservative pundits out there who haven't earned that respect (or have lost it), but I wouldn't count those two as among them.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #44
Logan
Head Coach

These don't really fit the criteria, but I'm on a really good string of stuff I've read over the past couple months:

Manhunt - Account of Booth's efforts to escape after assassinating Lincoln. This was a great one.

Devil in the White City - The building of Chicago's World's Fair and the serial killer running around during it.

The Devil's Knot - True story about three teenagers accused of murdering three young boys, and the legal fiasco surrounding it.

Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance - Excellent read about the challenges facing doctors and their need to outperform expectations, as well as their ability to do so with huge roadblocks in front of them.

The World is Flat - Just started this but it's pretty interesting. Discusses a lot of the recent technological/social/business changes that have allowed for the world to "flatten" in how things get done; ie how eliminating the old top-down hierarchy in business has allowed emerging companies and markets to prosper.

I'm forgetting what else I've gone thru but I'll add on...

Last edited by Logan : 07-25-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #45
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'll second Manhunt, Devil in the White City (Thunderstruck by the same author is also a very good book), and Better. Atul Gawande's a great writer.

I just finished "Savage Peace" about the year 1919 in the United States, and I'm currently reading "Battle Cry of Freedom", which is supposedly the seminal one-volume history of the Civil War. I'm about 100 pages in and I think the book is up to 1850. There's a LOT of fascinating backstory and buildup that I was unaware of until now.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #46
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

BookBrowse.com: More than 20,000 book reviews, reader reviews, critic's reviews, book excerpts & more.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

Damn Cam, are you that guy from my gym who keeps coming up to me saying "I just read that!"

Couple others I forgot about:

Double or Nothing - Story of the two guys who started the Vegas hotel room booking service that later got sold to Travelocity for about a hundred million. Then they went and bought The Golden Nugget and built that back up. These are the guys who had that casino reality show that didn't last very long. It was an entertaining read. They were influenced a lot by Steve Wynn, which led me to...

Winner Takes All - Goes over the history of the feud between Steve Wynn and Kirk Kerkorian as they raced to buy up Vegas property and constantly one-up each other in building the biggest and best hotel/casino. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #48
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

LOL, if that's happening at the gym... it's not me.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #49
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay i know it was in another thread but i cannot seem to find the original book recommendation list but to whoever recommended World War Z needs to be shot. I sat down last night to read a few pages and the next thing i know it is 2 am and i am still reading. A very good page turner for sure and written in a way that is very unique. Does anyone have link to the original thread that recommnded this?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #50
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
A very good page turner for sure and written in a way that is very unique. Does anyone have link to the original thread that recommnded this?
Try here