Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #101
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It's irrelevant. I guarantee you that, EA's game being a roster update or not, if the 2K series had been enjoying financial success in line with its critical merit, they never would have dropped the price.

If I exercise my rotator cuffs and my hand hits you in the face in the process, that doesn't mean I punched you.

I think I'm missing the point of your argument. You are saying that they dropped the price on the 2k series to gain market share but their comments of "we are selling the game for $19.99 because we don't believe it is right to charge full price for what is mainly a roster update" isn't a simultaneous jab at EA? Why can't it be both...and why would they use that as justification if not for the jab?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #102
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I think I'm missing the point of your argument. You are saying that they dropped the price on the 2k series to gain market share but their comments of "we are selling the game for $19.99 because we don't believe it is right to charge full price for what is mainly a roster update" isn't a simultaneous jab at EA? Why can't it be both...and why would they use that as justification if not for the jab?

I don't ever remember it being marketed like that because they put a ton of time into the presentation (which was better than anything madden has ever done), gameplay and the franchise for the 2k5 version.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The FTC lawyer over at the Level Up blog put up another write-up with some good information about the current FTC investigation into the merger.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/level...-take-two.aspx
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #104
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
I don't ever remember it being marketed like that because they put a ton of time into the presentation (which was better than anything madden has ever done), gameplay and the franchise for the 2k5 version.
I'd agree with that. There was a lot of hype (warranted) and buildup to the game with the features they were adding like the SportsCenter weekly segments and online leagues.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #105
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post

Quote:

What Deattribution said. It would have been one thing if they had released basically a roster update and then cut the price, but they didn't DO that. They advanced the franchise and slashed the price. Also, as far as jabs at EA go, think about it like this. If you're going to market and sell your game as less expensive because you're not going to soak your consumers like EA does, then why did the $19.99 price point for NHL, NBA and NFL only last for two seasons?

When the basketball and hockey games get released anymore, they don't come out at $19.99. They don't come out at $29.99. They don't even come out at $39.99. It's either $49 or $59, the industry standards.

A temporary price cut like that is more in line with a "grow the market share" perspective than a "zing the competition" perspective, because what happens once you return to the higher prices? You better have won a reasonably significant number of converts, or you're going to lose that market share right back.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

[quote=SackAttack;1713195]A temporary price cut like that is more in line with a "grow the market share" perspective than a "zing the competition" perspective, because what happens once you return to the higher prices? You better have won a reasonably significant number of converts, or you're going to lose that market share right back.[/QUOTE]

Which is the real shame of it all. They converted a significant number of customers over to the franchise that year. As a result, Madden paid for the exclusive license to squash them out because they knew they were going to have significant problems from a competition standpoint.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #107
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Which is the real shame of it all. They converted a significant number of customers over to the franchise that year. As a result, Madden paid for the exclusive license to squash them out because they knew they were going to have significant problems from a competition standpoint.

Was it EA Sports or the NFL that wanted exclusivity?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Was it EA Sports or the NFL that wanted exclusivity?

The NFL had approached the companies in previous years with exclusive rights, but no one would bite due to the high price that the NFL was requesting for exclusive rights. EA didn't bite because they had a comfortable market lead. Only after the 2K series made significant in-roads in market share did EA decide to bite on the overpriced exclusive rights.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #109
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't know if converted is the right word. I sold an awful lot of copies of NFL 2k5 to people who were buying Madden anyway. They got more people to try the game, sure, but how many of those would have eschewed Madden if the prices went back up to $50 the next year? We'll never know.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #110
Kodos
Resident Alien

If we could get current gen graphics with ESPN 2k5 presentation and Madden old-gen gameplay, I'd be pretty damn pleased.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thankfully, it appears that EA is now giving up on acquiring Take Two........

Gamasutra - EA: 'We Are Stepping Away' From Take-Two
Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #112
Kodos
Resident Alien

Woot!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #113
Radii
Head Coach

Well that is certainly a pleasant suprise. I wonder if it could possibly bring about a revival of the college hoops series?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My favorite mbbf post ever.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #115
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Well that is certainly a pleasant suprise. I wonder if it could possibly bring about a revival of the college hoops series?

Unlikely, the cancellation of that game didn't have anything to do with EA, it was due to the abysmal sales of the game (something like 130k I think), especially compared to the EA franchises (all 500k+ or so).
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #116
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
My favorite mbbf post ever.

Ah well, we agree on a few things.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #117
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unlikely, the cancellation of that game didn't have anything to do with EA, it was due to the abysmal sales of the game (something like 130k I think), especially compared to the EA franchises (all 500k+ or so).

There is also a rumor floating out there that EA raised their bid on the rights deal. They didn't buy exclusivity, but they raised the bar too far for it to be profitable for 2k to match with those sales numbers which actually were closer to 200k the last time I looked.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #118
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Well shit, maybe we all need to go out and buy 500 copies?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #119
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Thankfully, it appears that EA is now giving up on acquiring Take Two........

Gamasutra - EA: 'We Are Stepping Away' From Take-Two

EA may be dropping the bid, but they are still looking at some sort of deal. I believe the CEO of Take Two is looking to make a presentation to EA, once they sign non-disclosure agreements.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-18-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #120
sooner333
College Starter

It's too bad about the CH series, but last year's game was pretty darn good and with downloadable rosters, I'm sure someone will come out with updated rosters for this season.

It's really too bad that it seems that none of the games that were the best in their sport won the rights battle. MLB 2k won, but it was inferior to MVP. And the EA games that won were usually worse than their counterparts (except NCAA football, which didn't really have a counterpart).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #121
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

There go my dreams for a Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri sequel.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Electronic Arts drops bid for Take-Two - U.S. business - MSNBC.com

NEW YORK - Video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. said Sunday it ended talks to buy smaller rival Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., best known for the "Grand Theft Auto" series of games.

EA, the publisher of games such as "Madden NFL 09" and "Spore," said it decided not to make an offer to buy Take-Two.

Redwood City, California-based EA had signed a non-disclosure agreement with Take-Two in August after letting a deadline for a $2 billion tender offer to buy the company expire.

"EA is tracking toward a record-breaking year," said President and Chief Executive John Riccitiello, in a statement. Spokesman Jeff Brown said Sunday EA is "not at all" disappointed that things didn't work out.

Brown did not say what prompted EA to walk away from the discussions, but he said the company is confident in its own product portfolio. Take-Two, he added, was "never something EA needed."

Since making its offer public in February, EA has maintained that it was offering a "fair and full" price for New York-based Take-Two. And while keeping the total price of the bid at $2 billion, it lowered the original $26-per-share offer to $25.74 to account for restricted shares granted to Take-Two's management.

Take-Two, meanwhile, said the offer undervalued the company, and repeatedly rejected it.

While many analysts expected EA to eventually raise its offer by a dollar or two, recently Take-Two shareholders seemed less optimistic. On Friday, the company's shares were trading at their lowest since Feb. 22, the last trading day before EA made its offer public and sent Take-Two's shares shooting up 55 percent.

Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick said Sunday the company remains focused in creating value for its shareholders and customers, and has been since EA first launched its hostile bid six months ago.

Now, he added in a statement, the company remains "actively engaged in discussions with other parties in the context of our formal process to consider strategic alternatives."

A Take-Two spokesman said Sunday the company is not disclosing more information on those talks.

EA said it still has a "high regard" for Take-Two's creative teams and products. But, after a "careful consideration," including presentations by Take-Two's management and a review of due diligence materials, it decided not to make an offer.

"At the end of the day, we simply have different views on the value of the company," Brown said.